Insurgency - TF2 meet CS:S

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tjg_marantz

Insurgency - TF2 meet CS:S

Post by tjg_marantz »

So when I loaded up Steam this weekend, there was an ad for 4 free mods for those already owning a source game. One of which was Insurgency.

Different maps in Iraq, you play as either US or Insurgency in different classes(sniper, heavy, shotgun, regular troop) and you've got yourself some checkpoint maps that you try and control. Team play is obviously a big thing as there are many ways to get to an objective with some chokepoints thrown in.

There are no sights always present on the screen, you have to actually press your aim key for the actual gun to be raised and your eyes line up with the sights on the gun itself. Sniping leaves you wide open to side attacks and close quarter combat is real good and tense. The sounds feel like what it would sound like in a city battle.

Teamplay is at a premium for sure.

Plenty of populated servers and so far the bridge map and the Baghdad petrol station map are early favourites of mine.

Give it try, it's really worth it. And if you see me in a server, join up for some fraggin' fun!
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Archinerd

Re: Insurgency - TF2 meet CS:S

Post by Archinerd »

I jumped into this game a bit back when the mod was first released. I thought it had a huge amount of potential but I was disappointed with the quality of the players. Not their skill level, but their unwillingness to work as a team.
Then my computer died and I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

No problem. I think the Steam advert will get a huge number of players in and it may take a while to get the teamplay going but last night was either a fluke or the players have matured because all the servers I was on, plenty of teamwork and talking going on.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I also played this back in the original version.

Reinstalled, gotta say it annoyed the hell outta me this time. I had forgotten what a pixel hunt the game is.

This game could be fun with a coordinated team, but without that, just expect to crawl forward 50 yards, get shot from who-knows-where, and then do it again.
I'm special!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Oh, and in other mod news, I tried out the Hidden mod. Basically pits 10 military guys against one invisible guy with a knife. It's pretty clever and a lot of fun, but it also crashes a LOT for me.
I'm special!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I had forgotten what a pixel hunt the game is.
I'll grant you that it can be hard to find the others at times... But then, there is this thing called camouflage which comes into play I suppose. I don't expect the US Marines to dress in hot pink just so I can boom headshot them :P
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

tjg_marantz wrote:
I had forgotten what a pixel hunt the game is.
I'll grant you that it can be hard to find the others at times... But then, there is this thing called camouflage which comes into play I suppose. I don't expect the US Marines to dress in hot pink just so I can boom headshot them :P
Well, in my 20 minutes of playtime this morning, I managed to shoot two enemies and one friendly. And get shot from who-knows-where about 30 times.

So it's not Dwarf Fortress levels of learning curve, but about as close as an FPS can get.
I'm special!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I played this a lot a year or so ago(wow, time flies).

I liked it because it had most of the good elements of CS:S(realism oriented) combined with the best elements of TF(get back in the action fast). You don't(or didn't back then) spend so much time sitting out the round as you do in CS:S.

But still, I found it more fun to play only one map, and learn it like the back of my hand, than to just play whatever came up in a rotation. This usually meant finding servers that only played that one map. Which in turn meant regular players who only played one map, which in turn meant that everyone knew what they were doing. A better game is had by all in that situation, although when I quit there was a constant problem of teamkillers. I wonder if they ever figured out a way to stop that? Without having to shut off friendly fire that is.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

played it since it first came out. though I haven't played it in about 8 months. It is very easy to kill your own guys. Need a better uniform model for each side.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Very true on the learning one map thing. I stuck to Baghdad(I think, the one with the petrol station) for a while and learned it pretty well. It did help. And it was 24/7 on that map so I thin kyou are right about teamplay being good on those servers.

When you spawn there is spawn protection so I am guessing you mean while out on the field of battle. I TKed a few of my guys by mistake so I suppose if I was a traitor I could it do it over and over but it wasn;t a problem so I can't tell. I am guessing there must be some votekick/voteban system but I didn't need to go looking for it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Might this a record for the longest time between thread posts? Anyway, Insurgency on Steam is free to keep for the next 48-ish hours, and if you get the game you also can get 10% off on the sequel.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold