GTA: Vice City - Mods?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Raug

GTA: Vice City - Mods?

Post by Raug »

I've got a hankering to fire this up again after watching Scarface for the first time ever last night. San Andreas is coming out soon, I know, but I much prefer the PC as a platform and I'm hoping this will sate my craving for this type of game till San Andreas comes out for the PC next year. I've already played through it once, so I was thinking about trying a few mods this time if there are any decent ones out there. Has anyone tried any and want to recommend whatever mods you've liked?

"Say 'ello to my leetle fren!" ;)
Unbreakable

Post by Unbreakable »

I know they have Multi Theft Auto.

here are some other mods in one download. I havent tried any mods, so I cant really say how good they are.

You can also try http://www.gtagaming.com/
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

I downloaded one called 'Real Vice City' or something that was supposed to make all of the stuff real cars w/ new models, etc...

It worked... if I started a new game, and then just for that session. Other than that, it would totally fuck everything up and the streets would be empty. I'd say avoid that one.
Raug

Post by Raug »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last night I put my l33t g00gle skills to work and downloaded a few mods. I found PlanetGrandTheftAuto.com and that is where I started. I downloaded KillerKip's Full Vice City Mod Pack 1.3 by KillerKip along with a few other minor mods and installed all those, but when I went to play the camera was stuck in one position. Namely, pointing right at my character's face which reversed all my controls. :? So I deleted all those mods and reinstalled VC. I think the problem came from a conflict between the mods (I should have known better than to try more than 1 at a time) or an installation screw up on my part.

Anyway, I downloaded Vice City Deluxe next because I just felt like starting fresh plus this one is twice as big MB-wise as Killerkip's and bigger is always better, right? ;)
Vice City Deluxe is a total conversion mod for Vice City's PC version that comes equipped with 95 new vehicles, 18 new weapons and 11 map changes including a skate park.
That's what it claims to add. This time the install went smoother mainly because I didn't have to waste any time looking for tools to help the install along since I'd already gotten what I needed earlier. I fired it up but...wtf?! Where are all the people and cars? It looked like the apocalypse had come but left all the buildings untouched. I was bitten by the bug which makes all the pedestrians and driven cars disappear. So I went to hunt down a fix and downloaded a different .exe from the mod's forums. That fixed it.

So, I finally got to play for a bit. The new car models were very nice. Ferraris, BMWs, jeep wranglers, etc. They were all quite well done and looked great. The sports cars seemed much faster than the original stock cars you have access to when starting out, IIRC. Lots of fun outrunning the law in a Ferrari convertable with the MP3 player on. :) The skating rink, which is positioned right on the beach near the starting hotel, had lots of ramps (duh) to drive cars off of and was a fun distraction for about 10 minutes. Oh, it also changes some branding things such as the cab company and a McD's and Starbucks in the mall.

I only got to play long enough to piss off the cops a bit and find the first 5 hidden packages, but the mod looks to have promise. There are some things I haven't found yet and some features I haven't seen, so maybe I will revisit this thread after I've played some more. This post turned out to be alot longer than I originally planned, heh.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Raug wrote: Anyway, I downloaded Vice City Deluxe next because I just felt like starting fresh plus this one is twice as big MB-wise as Killerkip's and bigger is always better, right? ;)
Damn, I got the name wrong (since deleted from my pc). This is the one I had, and I had the same issue. Didn't realize there was a fix.