Guild Wars Public Preview

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tals

Guild Wars Public Preview

Post by tals »

Just a reminder to all that next Friday/Sat and Sunday is the Guildwars public preview. This is available to ALL, no restrictions. Information and client are all available

http://www.guildwars.com/preview/default.html

I'm going to have to reserve some game time to really get into this in the limited time :(

Also for the UK guys a pass for the end of November event (as I understand it) will be coming with the UK version of PC Gamer to make up for no preordering ability here - so may be worth grabbing it as its nota bad mag anyway. Mag out around now I believe.

Tals
RMC

Post by RMC »

So is anyone interested in this game at all?? I D/L the client and patched it up to date, and will play it this weekend, but I have not heard much talk about this...

What do you guys think..Is it going to be any good?
knob

Post by knob »

It seemed pretty decent during the E3 test. I don't know if it's enough to get me to buy it, but it was far from being a bad game.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get much play time this weekend since I have to work. I'm kind of curious to see how it has changed.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

I thought the E3 demo could have been pretty good, but it was way too full of morons to really enjoy. If there's more lobby areas this time, so there's not such a huge concentration of people spamming WHAT DO I DO HOW DO I GET 2 KILL, then it'll be fun.
tals

Post by tals »

The last one was amazing stuff. I never got to do the PVP aspect - I regretted that but the PVE was very well done.

So yep I have the client installed and rocking to go. I'll post my game name once I have one :)

Tals

p.s I only played with guys I knew - though I did join up with some others as well. Generally the worst thing a person coul ddo was bail out half way through - very irritating.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Yeah, the E3 event was pretty cool, all the spamming excepted. I suspect it was mostly due to the fact that none of it came with very much in the way of documentation, so most of it was just trial and error, or people asking the customer service people in-game how to do stuff. Word trickled out slowly, but in the lobbies, there were lots of people spamming "how do I do X" or "How do I get to Y" etc... and not alot in the way of answers.

Network performance seemed stable enough, but there were a few hitches, and occasionally, you'd have a team member left behind, or someone would get dropped (or just drop out) in the middle of a battle. It was an annoyance, but a minor one.

My schedule doesn't really mix well with that of the other GGers (at the time. OOers now :P ) but I think I caught Tals on once or twice, and may have joined up with him a few times. Most of my experience was in pick-up groups, and for the most part, they went smoothly. for all the "How do I" spam, there were just as many people who knew what they were doing, and wanted to get the most out of the experience (short though it was) As I remember it in my head, it was stunning, graphically. very beautiful. Maybe not the deepest gameplay, but only a few classes were active for the E3 event, so that kind of hampered it a touch, I guess. I'll be in on the weekend if they're having another event though, for sure.

[edit: Just downloaded and installed the client and I'm ready to rock as soon as they'll let me start an account. An interesting little easter-egg of sorts that you may or may not have found...in the options (It's a little castle in the tab on the right side of the screen) under "language" there's settings for "English" "Korean" and "Swedish Chef" :P What a bunch of comedians. :lol: )
Grafvolluth

Post by Grafvolluth »

I have the client installed and hope to be able to hop on a bit this weekend.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

Grafvolluth wrote:I have the client installed and hope to be able to hop on a bit this weekend.
Same here.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
monkyskunk

Post by monkyskunk »

Since WOW's Open Beta is still coming soon, I think I will have the time to play around with this a bit this weekend.
neofit

Post by neofit »

Installed that thing too, waiting for the event. But I think I may have a problem with their client. I downloaded a tiny little 'bootstrap' thingy, that first downloaded like 8MB for a graphics front-end, then that front'end started downloading stuff in the background. I left it running overnight but all I got in the morning was like 140MB in the installation directory, and it doesn't download anything else when I re-run it. I wasn't expecting 2 DVDs worth of NPC speech, yet how can the files of a 2004 game take so little room? I mean there is like 140MB of textures in each and everyone of their screenshots :). Does everyone have the same amount of data in their folder or mine is borked and I should reinstall? I wouldn't want to have to do it on Friday.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Quick question: Do you have to install a new version of the game... or can you run the version used for the E3 Alpha test? I still have that Alpha installed in my computer.

I plan to check this out this weekend if I find some time. 8)
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Neofit, the game streams down as you play as well. It's pretty cool how well it works.
tals

Re: ...

Post by tals »

PR_GMR wrote:Quick question: Do you have to install a new version of the game... or can you run the version used for the E3 Alpha test? I still have that Alpha installed in my computer.

I plan to check this out this weekend if I find some time. 8)
The E3 public event client will work fine for the event - its the one i'll be using. If you go in now you'll notice more options etc.

Sooooo close :)
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

I've downloaded the client, and let it d/l.
Of course, not much to look at so far, but I must say I'm impressed with such mundane things like changing languages on the fly and resizing the game in window mode.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

I'll take this opportunity to point out this thread in MP gaming that tells of our gracious Hosts setting up a dedicated TeamSpeak server. Perfect for those times when you want to get together with fellow OOers and chat it up while you play, or even the more serious business of actually co-ordinating. :) This weekend could be the perfect time to stress test it! Hear, and be wooed by my smooth, sexy, octopalian voice! (I think I just invented a new word!)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I used to watch this pretty closely, ever since it was quietly announce shortly before the 2nd Blizzard exodus. I stopped paying attention a long time ago, though. Perhaps it's about time to start paying attention again. It's interesting to see the differences between these guys and Blizzard. Blizzard were (are?) a brilliant hype machine, but Triforge have moved along very quietly for years.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

CharlieDelta wrote:I'll take this opportunity to point out this thread in MP gaming that tells of our gracious Hosts setting up a dedicated TeamSpeak server. Perfect for those times when you want to get together with fellow OOers and chat it up while you play, or even the more serious business of actually co-ordinating. :) This weekend could be the perfect time to stress test it! Hear, and be wooed by my smooth, sexy, octopalian voice! (I think I just invented a new word!)
I'm going to try like hell to be there but this weekend is gonna be tough, what with Halloween parties, etc. :(
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Sponge wrote:I'm going to try like hell to be there but this weekend is gonna be tough, what with Halloween parties, etc. :(
Try hard. :P

PM SirReal or myself and we can set anyone up with a registered account on the TS server.
tals

Post by tals »

OMG - it's up! Get in there :)
knob

Post by knob »

I played the first part (Get to Lion's Arch). It's fun. Absolutely beautiful, too.

It seems like it might be a bit Diablo like, so I don't think there's going to be an extreme amount of depth here.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
tals

Post by tals »

On map, click the *, then zoom out. Tombs will be the pve mixed with pvp. Gladiator will be pvp i'm guessing.

Tals
neofit

Post by neofit »

FCS, what are you supposed to do in this game?

I create a warrior/monk and am thrown into something that looks like a tiny town. I can speak with three NPCs, not much help. I have no idea how skills work, how skill points work, how combat works, no auto-attack nor auto-run keys for instance.
I have no weapon and 0 gold. I am asking people as to how to start - "craft your own", no more information, everyone is too busy selling/buying what looks like crafting materials. Am I supposed to go on my first mission bare-handed?

No information on the official site either. What's the purpose of this preview anyway? Drive people away from the game?
tals

Post by tals »

Some tips :)

Check your keyboard options out, give some ideas.
In Lions arch go to the different npcs and click on them to chat.
Go into map (* next to mini map)
The little pegs are locations you can visit. The coop mission in particular will open up as you play it to more locations. You'll learn more just playing it.
In lions arch the chap between the two lions you can chat to and buy more skills
The explore region next to the lions is good for xp and practicing with your char.

I've chosen a ranger /monk which seems a relatively easy combination.

If you want very hectic action go to the Tombs location, that is pve moving to pvp capture the flag style action.

Tals
neofit

Post by neofit »

Thanks tals,

but once again, this is the first game where the devs make me start with no weeapon and 0 gold. Am I supposed to go into combat barehanded? AM I supposed to go harvest some crafting materials, however it's done?

I found no auto-attack nor default attack key, how does combat work, do I have to constantly click on the mob like in Diablo or Sacred?

Sure I checked the keyboard layout first thing, as always (and BTW was surprised not to find an option to invert mouselook). I spoke to some 'guide' NPC who was of no help, and neither was the loremaster. Some trainer NPC said he could train me, thanks, I think I have some points to spare but no gold. No other NPC was willing to talk, they just opened a trading window. I hope they come up with a proper tutorial before release. Heh, even Ryzom walked me through the basics.

... and I've never seen players so unwilling to help in-game in any MMORPG.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Well, immediately after starting, there was a guy with a ! over his head. I talked to him, and he said 'In that chest over there is a weapon'. He was right, so I had a weapon right away. Also, there have been numerous pop-ups telling me how to attack, and whatnot. Not sure why you aren't getting those. Maybe try starting a new character. Did you download the latest client?

Ale
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Tap 'W' twice to auto-run.

Lots of info here- http://www.guildwars.com/preview/guide/default.html

Ale
wire

Post by wire »

Seems pretty straight forward to me when you first start. You can't even leave unless you talk to the guy with the bright ! over his head and he won't open the gate until you get and equip the weapon he provides for you from the chest in his tent.
neofit

Post by neofit »

wire wrote:Seems pretty straight forward to me when you first start. You can't even leave unless you talk to the guy with the bright ! over his head and he won't open the gate until you get and equip the weapon he provides for you from the chest in his tent.
What guy, what gate, what chest? Did I miss some tutorial dungeon or something? I spawned directly into Lion's Arch. I'll try with another char then.
neofit

Post by neofit »

Yep, that was it. Created a new char and spawned in a small village, and a guy in a tent gave me a weapon... Weird.

Actually when I first started I left the download gauge run and left the room. When I came back I was back to the login screen. When I relogged I was in Lion's Arch. The comp probably timed out in that tutorial village then the game somehow flagged me as if I had gone through the tutorial already.
tals

Post by tals »

Xfire has added support for GW, if you want it in now (rather than their bi weekly update) then instructions here

http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?nam ... pic&t=7232

Tals
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Any one else tiring of this game already? Dunno. I had no expectations whatsoever, but I can't help feeling the game is missing something--like I wonder "what's the point?" as I play. I guess it's just not my kind of game. The only mmorpg I ever played was City of Heroes (which I loved for months until I finally burned out). I was hoping this game had more of that feel, but so far I'm left wanting more. But it is a free test weekend. Perhaps there's more content they are withholding for the true start up?
wire

Post by wire »

I've completed a couple of the quests but it's a little irritating that you can't see the quests you've completed.

More irritating is just finishing a quest and be waiting for it to load into the next area and time out only to find yourself back at the beginning of the quest you just spent an hour completing. Not cool...
tals

Post by tals »

Fishbelly wrote:Any one else tiring of this game already? Dunno. I had no expectations whatsoever, but I can't help feeling the game is missing something--like I wonder "what's the point?" as I play. I guess it's just not my kind of game. The only mmorpg I ever played was City of Heroes (which I loved for months until I finally burned out). I was hoping this game had more of that feel, but so far I'm left wanting more. But it is a free test weekend. Perhaps there's more content they are withholding for the true start up?
I'd be surprised if this was the whole game. So far no i've not tired of it. I like the solo play where you can grab a monk henchmoen and go exploring - nice regions - I wish they would have other players in these areas. I like the pvp (Tomb area) that is amazing. Coop missions I liked first time round and if anything I like them even better. I suspect we will get lots of these 'mini' adventures.

Now all I need to do is get into a guild as apparently that then opens up another arena that gives the game its name :)

Tals
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

what does it take to start a guild? Try and get an OO guild going :)
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

As I understand it, this demo gives you a little of each gameplay type. There's a few co-op missions, a couple single-player places to wander around in, one guild war map, one random teams PVP map, and one set teams PVP map (the crypt). The full game will have more maps and missions, within those basic types. It's a big world map, and I'm sure there will be a pretty good number of dots scattered across it. And I think "maps" and "missions" is the right way to think about it. It's not really an MMO. It's more like a conventional non-MMO multiplayer game, except it has those nice town areas instead of lobbies. I like it a lot, but I think people aren't giving it a fair chance because they're expecting a real MMORPG.

BTW, if you're on Quarter to Three, there's a pretty large Qt3 guild. Just post in the thread there and they'll let you in.

If you want an OO guild, I've seen a guild registrar in Lion's Arch. Can't say exactly where though, that town confuses me. :(
Odin

Post by Odin »

I've actually had a passingly good time playing this the last few days.
tals

Post by tals »

Sith Lord wrote:I've actually had a passingly good time playing this the last few days.

Likewise, i'm having my last session at 9.00pm (UK) tonight - 2 hours from now, with a couple of friends if anyone fancies joining us then send me a whisper ingame or send a message. Game name is tals worthy

Tals
RickinMich

Post by RickinMich »

I also had a nice time with this game this weekend. Graphically, it's flat out gorgeous. I like the world map and how it filled in as you did different missions. I had the most fun playing with a couple other human players and having, at the very least, the monk hench'person' ;) along for the ride. I never found one human player who could even come close to being as effective a healer as that monk.

The missions felt a lot like Dungeon Siege to me. Run along a path, run into a group of mobs.. kill.. repeat.. until you got to some location, which might change what you're doing, or it might not. I think the key, is that they do this very well.. and the animations and graphical environments really hold your interest.

I'm still on the fence on this game, but I'm a whole lot closer to picking it up now, after this weekend than I was before I played it. I know I'll be at least taking a lot closer look on it than before.