Medieval Conquest = Majesty 2?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Turtle

Medieval Conquest = Majesty 2?

Post by Turtle »

It certainly seems like it could be. I haven't played it or read reviews, but it seems to fit the bill.

Anyone tried this game?
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

I've tried the demo and I believe it's a lot like Majesty 2 could be ya. Try the demo, it really allows you to play for a while - it doesn't hold your hand too much but things aren't THAT difficult to figure out.

At $20 it's a decent spur of the moment pick up, or appears to be from the demo.
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

***EDIT-Sorry, I mixed up my titles regarding Starforce... thought we were talking about Medieval Lords. My most sincere apologies.***
Charlatan

Post by Charlatan »

Benhur wrote:For those who care, it has been confimed by the devs that this game uses the dreaded Starforce copy-protection scheme. They are getting an earful over at the forums, though.
ew, I take it back then!

I'd better check to see if the demo installed that junk...

edit to add:
Well SOMETHING I installed recently installed Starforce. So I uninstalled the MC demo and ran the sfcleaner utility and everything seems ok now. I have recently installed Sacred, Port Royale 2 demo, and MC, and unfortunately didn't check after each install like I used to, but I blame the MC demo just for the heck of it. :)
When all is said and done, there's more said than done.
tgb

Post by tgb »

There was a thread from jschickblend back on GG saying she expected this to be Majesty 2 but was real disappointed.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

have Cyberlore abandoned the official sequel to Majesty? I thought I'd read that it is under development though not yet signed to a publisher...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Hi, being the jschlickbernd of note, I was very disappointed by Medieval Conquest. You have to tell your people where to go, and this takes away so much from the great simplicity of Majesty. In Majesty, you figured out what guys you needed, made them, and they went off and did their job without much micro. Now, they added micro. WTF? I played it for 2 hours and went back to more fun activities like cooking :D

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

I had the same reaction (but it was to the demo) as the artist formerly known as jschlickbernd. I was intrigued because on first glance it seemed like an improved Majesty. However, you have to assign zones (somewhat like the flags in Majesty) for your adventurers to go to. The main difference is that in Majesty your adventurers had minds of their own and a bit of intelligence. They wouldn't head straight for your flag, you had to entice them and even then if they ran into something else along the way, they would take care of that first. In this game, you assign zones and the selected units head there straight away and pretty much ignore anything they come across on the way. However, the things that they come across don't ignore them and will, in fact, follow them to the zone. The moral of the story is that your guys tend to get overwhelmed and killed due to their own pure stupidity- causing you to have to constantly micromanage them. Moreover, if there is nothing at the assigned location when they get there, they tend to just stand around. The worst part for me though was that even despite the lack of independence and A.I., you would at least think that they would run away when they were being beaten badly. Not here, they just stand there and die.

It's too bad as the game seems to have promise. I wonder if things were improved in the final version versus the demo.

It completely defeats the whole novelty of Majesty, which was that the adventurers had their own agenda's and A.I. Here they only seem to do what you explicitly tell them to do.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

I would so buy a Majesty 2. Maybe even 2 copies.
Dalai

Post by Dalai »

I checked out the demo briefly, but it didn't seem anywhere near as good as Majesty. The interface look and overall style of the game was much worse. I disliked directly controlling the heroes.

I wasn't going to bash the game, but after finding out that it runs Starforce, I have no qualms giving my opinion. I'm not sure if the demo installs Starforce; the Larian sfclean utility says there are no protection drivers to remove. Does anyone know how I can detect if Starforce is on my PC? Also, does anyone have a link to the Starforce Cleaner? The few links I found to it online were dead (probably shut down by evil Starforce lawyers), including the link from boycottstarforce.org.

Majesty is a fantastic game, I wish Cyberlore would continue working on Majesty 2. There's a recent post on their forums which explains the situation: Majesty wasn't a big enough hit for publishers to be interested in a sequel, so development has effectively stopped while they all work on the Playboy game. They hint that if Playboy gets them enough cash to self fund Majesty 2, they may go for it.
Benhur

Post by Benhur »

NUTS! :(

Guys, disregard my previous post regarding STARFORCE. In my haste to boo-hoo Starcrap, I thought the title of this thread was Medieval Lords, which does use Starforce. As for Medieval Conquests using it, I dn't know. Please forgive my stupidity. :oops:
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Feed him to the lions!