Should I try Warcraft 3?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Eel Snave

Should I try Warcraft 3?

Post by Eel Snave »

OK, so I don't like RTS. The only RTS in recent memory that even remotely interested me was Rise Of Nations, which I love because I can pause the game and issue orders, in other words, make it less RTS-y. However, WC3 interests me because it seems more Diablo-esque, as in, focused on heroes rather than on base-building. Am I correct in this assumption?

Oh, and BTW, I'm NOT going to play on Battlenet. I don't play MP RTS, OK? FYI, IYCTK.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

IMHO, Warcraft 3 is the MOST RTS out of all of the RTS's currently on the shelves. I'm pretty sure there is no pause, you have to click and use the keyboard well to play well, and it's a rush game. It's nothing like Rise of Nations. Have you gotten Rome Total War yet? That's closer to Rise than Warcraft 3 is. Warcraft 3 is a much closer to Starcraft than it is to Diablo. If you haven't played Starcraft, I'd start with that first.

Lorini
Black Lives Matter
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

WC3 interests me because it seems more Diablo-esque, as in, focused on heroes rather than on base-building.
heh that would be an inaccurate assumption.

WC3 is still an RTS. heroes do add an RPG element but it is not dominant in multi-player. it's more like a unit that upgrades itself via combat....

and yes the game is STILL about base building. it's still about expansion and control.

-------------
you mention "pause" which i assume means you are not interested in multi-player. the single player campaign in WC3 has a very well done storyline (for a game :p) and the cinematics are excellent.

in single player i suppose there is an RPG-light feel to your hero. but that's only because the SP campaign controls the pace of yer leveling...
Koz

Post by Koz »

Still, I generally hate RTSs and I really enjoyed Warcraft 3. Enough to play it all the way through even. It's got great atmosphere, it's not complicated, and just another well-polished Blizzard product.

If you can find it cheap, I say go for it.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

Dawn of War is a better WC3-style RTS than WC3, except for the single player campaign. If you want an RTS that's NOT typical, then get Rise of Nations or Rome: Total War (if Rome even counts).

The heroes in WC3 aren't as RPG-like as you think. Yes, you level them up, but they're still just big powerful units you click around.
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

W40K: DAWN OF WAR!
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Hmm. See, I have a friend who is absolutely obsessive about WC3, and his main beef with the game was that it wasn't RTS enough, but too Diablo-esque. He still loves it, though.

Then again, I'm a sucker for map editors with lots of power.
Downwards Compatible
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

I just bought Warcraft III Battle Chest a few weeks ago,and I'm loving it.

Wished I had bought it sooner,but I got a great price on the game now at $29.95 CND.
I love the overall feel of the game with the great looking stylized graphics.
Lots of action in the game but even though it doesn't have a pause and give orders feature,it does have an in game speed control which really slows the action down.After I learnt the game a little more I bumped up the speed to normal and it was fine,and I'm no RTS pro thats for sure.

I am mostly a single player type of gamer when it comes to these type of games and really enjoy a good lengthy campaign and this game has got it.It has kept me hooked from the beginning to the end with it's good story, in game cut scenes and great CG movies.

Because of this game I've become very interested in World of Warcraft,I want to continue playing in this world even in a MMORPG mode.

Warfran
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Warlords Battlecry II (I think III still has problems).
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Damn it Dirt beat me to it.

Sounds like Warlords Battlecry II is more up your ally. I heard that all of III's problems where multiplayer though.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Hmm. Interesting.

Is there a map editor in it?

And can I still traffic rocks to the community?
Downwards Compatible
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Sacred might be good, too. It is a mix of RTS and RPG.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Orpheo wrote:Dawn of War is a better WC3-style RTS than WC3, except for the single player campaign. If you want an RTS that's NOT typical, then get Rise of Nations or Rome: Total War (if Rome even counts).

The heroes in WC3 aren't as RPG-like as you think. Yes, you level them up, but they're still just big powerful units you click around.
Erm, actually, Rise of Nations is one of those I'd definitely lump into the typical category. If you've played Empire Earth or Age of Empires or Age of Kings or Age of Mythology or blahblahblahblah you've played Rise of Nations.
Exrod

Post by Exrod »

Jow wrote:
Orpheo wrote:Dawn of War is a better WC3-style RTS than WC3, except for the single player campaign. If you want an RTS that's NOT typical, then get Rise of Nations or Rome: Total War (if Rome even counts).

Erm, actually, Rise of Nations is one of those I'd definitely lump into the typical category. If you've played Empire Earth or Age of Empires or Age of Kings or Age of Mythology or blahblahblahblah you've played Rise of Nations.
Don't listen to Jow - he only has 10 posts! Rise of Nations is the ultimate RTS game. It does everything so much better. It is one of those games that after you play it you resent other games for not having it's features. I like it so much I have a stack of 13 copies of it and it's expansion sitting here next to me. (thanks bestbuy, hello ebay)

Game On.
I shall observe the tenets of Rex Kwon Do
I shall respect Rex
I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Exrod

Post by Exrod »

Oh, to stay on topic.

Warcraft 3 - probably not judging from your taste.
I shall observe the tenets of Rex Kwon Do
I shall respect Rex
I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Jow

Post by Jow »

Problem is I like focusing on the strategy behind the combat, and there's so much to keep track of in RoN that you can't really focus on any one particular thing. So it might be a great game if you're into that big picture "wow look how many things I can do" RTS, but I's not. :)

What ExRod said, though... Definitely don't think WC3 would be your bag other than the single player campaign (which is fantastic).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

IMHO there definately is much more combat strategy in Warhammer:DoW than in WC3.

I usually crap out with RTS games about 1/2 through after it turns into a "who has more of unit X" battle.

With DoW, I feel the need to really strategize and use the best units. Add the ground cover bonuses and unit / squad custom upgrades...and you've got a helluva game.

I really think DoW is a step forward for RTS games - both in graphics (the animations) and content.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jow

Post by Jow »

I'm actually really into DoW right now and it's for that very reason - the combat strategy works and is involving. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with subsequent patches/expansions.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

I have RoN and I LOVE it. And I'm only interested in the single-player campaign, just because I hate multiplayer RTS. Just rush, rush, rush. No fun.

Repeat: I don't care about MP.
Downwards Compatible
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Eel Snave wrote:I have RoN and I LOVE it. And I'm only interested in the single-player campaign, just because I hate multiplayer RTS. Just rush, rush, rush. No fun.

Repeat: I don't care about MP.
Then for the love of god don't get Warcraft III. The single player is pretty good but you've seen it before, and it certainly doesn't have the same legs as RoN's. If you have no intention of ever playing online EVER, then WCIII would rank dead last in what I would recommend, right next to Savage (which is online only by the way).

Kohan II is a far far far better option than WCIII, or even DoW... given what it looks like you want.
Jow

Post by Jow »

Actually, not sure I agree with that. I never played through RoN's campaign but WC3's is very well-written and has a pretty compelling story, not to mention the best cutscenes in the biz (if you're into that sort of thing). Think you'd probably like it.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

superhiro thats gotta be the oddest thing i've ever heard.

the entire point of SP, is the campaign - story mode.

RoN doesnt even have a story mode....

WC3 has some of the best elements available with regards to story than any RTS available.

/boggle
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Don't get me wrong, I also loved Warcraft III's campaign... and the expansion's also. And I misted up during some cutscenes (yeah I admit it, I'm a huge pussy). But once I played through that I never touched it again.

As opposed to RoN, which uses an open-ended strategic map... so technically every 'campaign' you play is different. If you can live without a story it's great.

So in terms of non-skrimish single player, I found RoN to have greater replay value than WCIII.

If you're looking for a story-laden campaign, then I don't think anything on the market is better than Warcraft III in terms of decent story and length. But I was judging on single player longevity.
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

SuperHiro wrote: If you're looking for a story-laden campaign, then I don't think anything on the market is better than Warcraft III in terms of decent story and length. But I was judging on single player longevity.
I agree with the first part of that, but disagree with the single player aspect lacking longevity.I have already downloaded a couple of really good user made campaigns to try out and I am enjoying them a lot, there seems to be quite a few more out there as well for the single player.

Warfran
Last edited by Warfran on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Yeah, see, that's what I'm looking for.

Is the SP campaign more Diablo-esque, or more RTS-ish than, say, StarCraft? Or is it still very, very much RTS-y?
Downwards Compatible
Edmond

Re: Should I try Warcraft 3?

Post by Edmond »

Eel Snave wrote:WC3 interests me because it seems more Diablo-esque, as in, focused on heroes rather than on base-building. Am I correct in this assumption?
If you want an RTS that focus on a hero, definitely look for Warlord Battlecry 2 or 3. But WB does have quite a few base building aspects in it.
Eel Snave wrote:Rise Of Nations, which I love because I can pause the game and issue orders, in other words, make it less RTS-y
If what you meant is that you don't want too much micromanagement, I would suggest Kohan 2 in which units are grouped into "companies" and greatly reduce the amount of "click-feast" typical of other RTS. The "base building" aspects in it is brilliantly streamlined. You don't need to scroll all over the places to set up buildings. All base building can be done within the interface.
Edmond

Post by Edmond »

Eel Snave wrote:Yeah, see, that's what I'm looking for.

Is the SP campaign more Diablo-esque, or more RTS-ish than, say, StarCraft? Or is it still very, very much RTS-y?
Funny you say this, because I remember that the WC3 expansions include some bouns campagin that plays very similar to Diablo 2. Blizzard also have added some extra compaign for download.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I never finished WCIII single-player, and I enjoyed WCI and WCII very much. I didn't care for the camera angles and just didn't enjoy the game in general. In multiplayer mode, it always came down to who knew the keyboard shortcuts best and could activate them the quickest. There was very little time to build a strong base if you wanted a chance of winning.

I'd also recommend the alternatives listed above.

Sith
Warfran

Post by Warfran »

Edmond wrote:
Eel Snave wrote:Yeah, see, that's what I'm looking for.

Funny you say this, because I remember that the WC3 expansions include some bouns campagin that plays very similar to Diablo 2. Blizzard also have added some extra compaign for download.
Most of the campaign is RTS-y I think,but the bonus campaign in the expansion that Edmond is speaking of is very RPG like and is more similar to Diablo 2,but I think a better story with it.You get the first mission with the game and the other two parts come when you download the patch.

Warfran