Anno 1404 AD. Dawn of Discovery.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Avenger

Anno 1404 AD. Dawn of Discovery.

Post by Avenger »

Is anyone playing this game? I am downloading it now off of Direct2Drive.
persself

Re: Anno 1404 AD. Dawn of Discovery.

Post by persself »

Did you play 1701?

After playing demo, this seems too similar to previous title to pick up.
But I love city builders, so I look forward to impressions.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The game won't start. I get the following error message.

"The application failed to initialize (0xc00000005)"

Not even a spash screen. Just double click the icon and error.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I got mine from D2D and didn't have that problem. Did you upgrade your drivers? This game is yes similar to 1701 but much much better. Gameplay is a lot more extensive with the addition of the Orient, the UI is 100% better, and the graphics are a lot nicer. I've been playing it non-stop (even though I have MtG and Devil Survivor I'd been waiting for for months) it's that good.
Black Lives Matter
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I also got it from Direct2Drive. I uninstalled it and erased the folder that Direct2Drive created and then I downloaded it all over again. The good thing about Direct2Drive is that it lets me download files at at 1.5mb/sec, as oposed to Steam, which limits me to 250k/sec. The download takes 45 minutes on D2D.

This time I downloaded it, it said something about the file Data3.cab not matching, and suggested that my download was corrupt. I chose to ignore that and continue installation. This time the game works. Go figure. Maybe the crash will happen later, after I have 50 hours in my city.

EDIT: I am just starting a new game in continuous play. How do you select the Orient?
persself

Post by persself »

Lorini wrote: This game is yes similar to 1701 but much much better. Gameplay is a lot more extensive with the addition of the Orient, the UI is 100% better, and the graphics are a lot nicer. I've been playing it non-stop (even though I have MtG and Devil Survivor I'd been waiting for for months) it's that good.
Not what I wanted to hear :wink: Got enough games already, but....
persself

Post by persself »

Downloading from GamersGate...big mistake, as it's only avg. 170kb's...about 8hrs. to go. :grund:
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

I'm really in the mood for a game like this but considering the copy protection will only let you install it three times I can resist the 90% score on metacritic and gamerankings until it's on the cheap.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I downloaded it a third time and during installation a different file reported back as being corrupt. That's three seperate installations. LOL. All three downloads were corrupt. The installation seems to work but I have no idea what was in the corrupted file. Will they let me install the game a fourth time?
:grund:

Anno 1701 was great, and I'm really looking forward to playing 1404. An interesting fact; All the games, the digits total 9. Anno 1+4+0+4 = 9.
Last edited by Avenger on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm interested in this one but will definitely wait for a sale price and maybe a patch or two.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Koz

Post by Koz »

I'm interested but I heard it had a particularly nasty DRM scheme. Something like only 3 installs allowed and a rootkit.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Koz wrote:I'm interested but I heard it had a particularly nasty DRM scheme. Something like only 3 installs allowed and a rootkit.
I downloaded it from Steam thinking that I avoid the DRM, even though I am not sure if still has the limit or not.

I was in the mood for the city builder, but a lack of documentation or decent in game help is putting me a bit off.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

According to the steam page you still get the limit.
3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit
Lee

Post by Lee »

gwartok wrote:According to the steam page you still get the limit.
Interesting, I don't see anything to deactivate an install, hopefully just uninstalling it does that.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I really hate to see that. I was looking forward to playing Anno 1404 A.D. With that DRM and its 3 activation limit, I won't be buying it.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ubisoft says you can call and get more activations if you need them. I haven't needed them yet but I might.
Black Lives Matter
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Greybriar wrote:
I really hate to see that. I was looking forward to playing Anno 1404 A.D. With that DRM and its 3 activation limit, I won't be buying it.
+1. I was going to purchase it but that stopped me. The thing that I like about Steam or Impulse is that you can install them on your new PC then just download all games that you bought from them without need of CD or calling any customer support to be able to play them. The only thing that you need is your account name and password.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Okay everything seems to be working as intended now. I am twelve hours into what seems to be a tutorial, but which is called the campaign game. The graphics are very cool and the changes I am picking up as the "campaign" progresses. Most of the time I wish that the campaign would end and the game would let me build a city, and just when I'm ready to quit and play in "continuous-play" mode, something new is introduced and I go, "I would never have figured that out on my own."

The campaign has a story that I suppose the creators are proud of, and the game does slowly introduce new features as you play along, but I am in hour twelve of this campaign. Maybe I am just impatient. At the moment I would say that the game does earn the 90% rating it is getting on the game sites. It is good. Just teach me faster. :)
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

GoGamer has this for $30 as part of their July 4th sale. It has an (I) in the listing though, I'm not sure but that may be an import version.

I'm still not happy about the activation limit but $30 is getting me closer to the price i'd tolerate it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The game won't eat you if you wander out and try a continuous game :D
Black Lives Matter
persself

Post by persself »

I started the game in campaign mode, made it to the 5th episode.
I'm now stuck, as I can't seem to progress past a certain mission within the campaign.
Spoiler:
The mission to protect southern harbour. I send the 3 war ships as required,
but no one attacks. Even tried to attack enemy war ships, but am unable to "target"
them.
Lots of depth with this one compared to 1701. The manual is pitiful, explaining nothing
but the obvious: lower left corner of screen is mini-map, etc.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

gwartok wrote:GoGamer has this for $30 as part of their July 4th sale. It has an (I) in the listing though, I'm not sure but that may be an import version.
Yep, Gogamer uses (I) for import, and they offer a lot of import versions so you have to pay attention in the cases where import versions may vary in content or copy protection from US releases--sometimes it's a plus, sometimes it's a minus, sometimes it doesn't matter.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
persself

Post by persself »

Avenger wrote:EDIT: I am just starting a new game in continuous play. How do you select the Orient?
You don't select them; explore maps with ship until you meet/greet them. Complete missions, among other things, and
you can eventually take control of "Orient" island.

Edit: That's how it works in campaign and the first "easy" scenario. Haven't played continuous game, but would think
it works same way.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Just finished Campaign mission # 4. Now that was really cool. :)

You are right, there is alot more depth here than in 1701.

In Campaign mission # 5 there is a coal deposit but I don't seem to have a coal mine. Same deal with the bear cave. A bear cave but I see no way to interact with it.

Perself: There is a mission in campaign # 5 that won't close out for me. Clicking on the viziers palace says to build the leather works, but I delivered the required leather way back in the beginning of the mission. I am also now stuck at the three warships because that mission refuses to close.
persself

Post by persself »

Avenger wrote:Just finished Campaign mission # 4. Now that was really cool. :)

You are right, there is alot more depth here than in 1701.

In Campaign mission # 5 there is a coal deposit but I don't seem to have a coal mine. Same deal with the bear cave. A bear cave but I see no way to interact with it.

Perself: There is a mission in campaign # 5 that won't close out for me. Clicking on the viziers palace says to build the leather works, but I delivered the required leather way back in the beginning of the mission. I am also now stuck at the three warships because that mission refuses to close.
Sorry for your bad luck, but glad I'm not only one stuck. Me thinks we have stumbled across bug.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Coal deposits and bear caves can be used at the noblemen/envoy level.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I dont see a lot of people talking about this, so I'm guessing this isn't one of the games I should consider for my bachelor solo gaming weekend?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

msduncan wrote:I dont see a lot of people talking about this, so I'm guessing this isn't one of the games I should consider for my bachelor solo gaming weekend?
Qt3 has a bit livelier thread on it. I picked it up last night and I'm enjoying it. For some reason I find it easier to get into than the last Anno game, and all the new little features like honor, the orient, and the achievements are well done. If you like city builders I'd say the only question is whether to buy it now or wait and see if Steam has it on sale sometime soon.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

I'll probably wait for a sale since I'm pretty engrossed in my Fallout 3 game right now. Probably. I've never really played any games of this genre, but the thread over at QT3, Tom Chick's diaries on Fidgit, and the screenshots I've seen all have me very intrigued.

Here's my question: my girlfriend got very into Civ IV a while back but gave it up because she wanted something that was more about the politics and trade, and less about the fighting. She just wanted to build up her empire without people attacking her constantly and without having to attack other people all the time. Would this game fit that bill?

Edit: Have you seen the cathedral? The architecture nerd in me cannot wait to build one.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Two Sheds wrote:Here's my question: my girlfriend got very into Civ IV a while back but gave it up because she wanted something that was more about the politics and trade, and less about the fighting. She just wanted to build up her empire without people attacking her constantly and without having to attack other people all the time. Would this game fit that bill?
It's definitely got a good trade system. The backbone of the game is the idea that you can't get all the resources you need from one island and therefore need to use trade and trade routes to move your goods around. There's the ability to fight in the game, but from what I've seen it's not a big part of the game unless you want it to be. There's a diplomacy system too, but I haven't really used it enough to comment on how well it works.

All in all I think it would be a good fit. It's a lot more about building than fighting for sure, but it's worth pointing out that it is real time, not turn based, but I don't feel rushed like I tend to in some real time games. Looks like there's a demo to try out too if she's not sure.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

Great, thanks. I'll check out the demo.
Famine and death and pestilence and war-
I'm pretty sure I heard this one before
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

My experience with Pharaoh was pretty intense. I was on the Pharaoh Heaven game boards and was playing the missions one after another, posting my final saves, in an effort to be the first one to finish the game. i ended up being the second or third one done and spent a good solid year in that Forum. As a result of all of that I was invited to the closed Beta Test of the sequel to Pharaoh, called Zeus. That was a great time for me. I cannot compare Dawn of Discovery to Pharaoh, because of that. The entire community at Pharaoh Heaven was playing the game with me and posting to me and with me. I consider Pharaoh one of the best city builders of all time.

Dawn of Discovery is good too. The complex chains of buildings really make the game alot of fun for me. However, I never find any game flawless until years later when I am reminiscing about it. I have some minor complaints with Dawn of Discovery. Not enough to advise anyone not to buy it, but there are a few things in game that annoy me. The number one complaint is one that I have passed now, and that is the tutorials, and learning how to play the game. The campaign game is basically the tutorial and I played that for about 15 hours.
My second complaint is that once you have mastered the game, and even before really, it is EASY to play. In the previous game, 1701 AD, there was a tighter rope to walk to balance your economy. I mean it was tight. You constantly went broke if you weren't perfect. It is just the opposite in Dawn of Discovery. You shouldn't ever go broke. I have always made a profit. As a fun game this is better than 1701 AD.
Today I woke up at 3am to play again. The game is that addictive. Perhaps in a few years I will have fond memories of Dawn of Discovery. You never know. I do know that for a good solid week I have been playing this game for longer than is healthy. Some days I sit here for a solid 24 hours and just build cities. In the last 3 days I have probably slept a total of six hours. I haven't done combat yet. Have built armies and warships and walls and forts, but I haven't gotten into a fight. all I do is build cities.

I have finished a continuous game and the first time that I did it, it was so hard. On my replay I am progressing far faster.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Confused:
Today I woke up at 3am to play again. The game is that addictive. Perhaps in a few years I will have fond memories of Dawn of Discovery. You never know. I do know that for a good solid week I have been playing this game for longer than is healthy.
Does this mean it's really really good and you are addicted? Or does this mean that it's not really really good but you keep playing in hopes that it will be good?

I was thrown by your statement of possibly having fond memories of the game in a few years?
It's 34 bowl victories.

Avenger

Post by Avenger »

It is very addictive and great fun but I don't know if I will remember it in two years.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

TBH i don't give a crap if it seems any good in 2 years time. There are loads of games that are great at the time but not 2 years later. Sometimes we need to live in the now and not the past or future.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Reemul wrote:TBH i don't give a crap if it seems any good in 2 years time. There are loads of games that are great at the time but not 2 years later. Sometimes we need to live in the now and not the past or future.
I was reminiscing about Pharaoh... and comparing it to what I consider the best city builder.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What kind of starting parameters are you using for it to be so easy? Have you tried making the game harder with more opponents, less money, and more aggressive opponents? I can't see it being that easy if you were playing against 3 aggressive components with not much starting money.
Black Lives Matter
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Yes, it is easier than 1701.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Avenger sounds like an absolute city building veteran.... so what might be easy to him may not be as easy to some of us. :)

Avenger: if society collapses and somehow I wind up being the guy to lead the human race into the future, I'm tapping you as my lead engineer/city planner.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Koz

Post by Koz »

It's a very good game. If you're in the mood for a city builder, get it.