KOTOR: I'm so lame, I'm just now playing! ...but on a new PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Mudfrost

KOTOR: I'm so lame, I'm just now playing! ...but on a new PC

Post by Mudfrost »

Ok, not entirely true. I picked it up for the XBox on day one and played for hours and hours. That turned into days, maybe a couple of weeks. Then something happened (I don't know what exactly) and I put it down. Whatever made me stop had nothing to do with this excellent game; it was just, oh, life that got in the way. Whatever... Everyone here knows the sort of disruption I'm talking about. There are dozens of reasons we put a game down, and sometimes there's no good reason at all. More often than not, we just get distracted by another game.

Weeks and months went by and I couldn't jump back into the game without feeling lost, so I eventually sold it, vowing to myself that I'd purchase the PC version when I was able to upgrade my PC -- sometime around 2010 it looked like.

Well, maybe God's a gamer too, because a couple of months ago, I received an unexpected and truly exceptional gift from my sister and brother-in-law in the form of a new PC, polished and primed for gaming! It's not absolute top of the line but it's sure close enough for me. When you're used to wrestling with video options on a P2-400, a 2.6 gig machine is nothing less than a screaming banshee.

Remembering my vow (justification), I picked up KOTOR for $19.95, installed the latest patch, and started the game fresh. Sure, I love the XBox, but come on... As much as I enjoyed the game on console, the PC just blows it out of the sky. Granted, I'm a graphics whore, so that's got something to do with it, but now I've got the ability to patch and mod, and the lightning fast saves are pure, simple pleasure.

I might be late to the game but I'm having a blast. Another day or two and I should be entering Tatooine which is where I left off long, long ago.
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Excellent and enjoy! I still keep meaning to go back and play through on the dark side. I'd like to do it before the sequel comes out in December.
snoleopard

Post by snoleopard »

Oh yeah, enjoy. I still have it on my hard drive, and play at least once a week. Love the game. I've tried playing the dark side, over and over, but just can't bring myself to be nasty to my side-kicks. Wish I could as I've heard the Dark side ending is pretty good.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I really need to get this game sometime.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sith Lord wrote:I really need to get this game sometime.
IMHO, KotOR's story beat the PANTS off the last two SW movies.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
CSL

Post by CSL »

Smoove_B wrote:
Thats not saying much
Yog-Sothoth

Post by Yog-Sothoth »

The Dark Side path isn't too bad, you don't have to be too nasty to your sidekicks, at least until the end and it's their choice...

of course, that's what a DS guy should say :twisted:

Now that you have the PC version of the game, be sure and go to Yavin - there's great equipment to be bought. Go there after each planet; it gets better at least once, maybe twice.

This is especially true if you go DS, because you're going to want Canderous to have the best equipment available.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

When you do, are you going to play dark side? 8)

I need to get it, too. I am a pathetic excuse for a Bioware fanboy!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I've had it for months now and have not yet loaded it on my PC. I keep getting newer games that preoccuppy my time. Thanks to another thread I just installed Port Royale 2 and Pirates will be coming out soon. Gotta slip KOTOR in there sometimes or I may never get to it.
El-Producto

Post by El-Producto »

I too am a Bioware fanboy... have played everything they've released. I was
getting sick of NWN, the engine just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Started playing KOTOR again (see my earlier topic). I'm hooked, this is an amazing game, that looks and plays great. It just oozes style, and story. I can't wait until Jade Empire.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

OOFE has me wanting to fire this up again and not play a goody-two-sabers this time around ...
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Ok, it's on sale this week at Circuit City ($9.99), I'm going to grab it tomorrow morning if I can find it in stock anywhere.

I see a lot of folks recommending playing evil, so I might try that. In most RPGs I usually play a nice guy paladin or a more neutral fighter/thief, so it might be a nice change of pace to explore my inner Vader.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
When you do, are you going to play dark side? 8)
I suppose I should. :lol:
msurby

Post by msurby »

Got it a CC today for $9.99

FINALLY should get a new computer Thursday (going from 733 MHz P3 to 3 GHz 530 P4 should be a nice boost - now I won't feel like an :idea: when all the new games come out)

Can barely wait to get started.
A candy-coated clown they call the Sandman...
DD

Post by DD »

DS is much fun - who hasn't wanted to force choke any wanker that gets in your way? :twisted:
Odin

Post by Odin »

I just finished playing through as good and now I'm going back again and playing evil. Honestly, I don't really see a lot of difference (granted I just got to Dantooine, so there's plenty of time left). A couple of times that I wanted to be really nasty to somebody, my companions actually stepped in and smoothed things over. Dammit! :evil:

Even so, it's a hugely fun game that I'm very glad to be playing. Hopefully the sequel will find its way to the PC at some point soon.

Sith
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

It get's different. Be sure to use the Grunt and Hk-47 as your team when evil. It makes a lot of difference too. :twisted:
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

CSL wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:
Thats not saying much
Indeed, I'd go so far as to say Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy beat the last two movies as well.

That's right, Jedi Academy.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I will join you in your lameness. I bought this on it's first sale and was only able to play about the first 5% of it before the slide-show-athon was unbearable on my old PIII 450. By putting in a Radeon 8500, fast hds and tons of RAM I was able to actually play some games I never should have been able to on that setup, but KOTOR is one that still sucks on my system. But thankfully I am finally upgrading to a PIV 3.6 with a Radeon X800 XT so I should definitely be able to return to this game and give it the attention it deserves. I can hardly wait.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Odin

Post by Odin »

Demosthenes wrote:It get's different. Be sure to use the Grunt and Hk-47 as your team when evil. It makes a lot of difference too. :twisted:
Oh, yeah, HK-47 is a given. Even as a good guy he was f'ing hilarious. "Shall I blast this meatbag for you master?" ROFL! I was planning to take Canderous (the Mandelorian) too, at least until I get the neutral jedi dude. Force powers are awfully hard to pass up. It's too bad you can't change your helpers' allegience after they join you - it would have been fun to turn one of the jedi chicks to the dark side. Instead, I just dress them in sith robes and pretend they're bad girls.

Sith
SpicyJ

Post by SpicyJ »

So is something wrong with me that I keep starting this game and stopping about an hour into it, when I get past the party on the first planet where I steal a sith uniform and go down into the undercity (or whatever) and get my ass handed to me by the first enemies I attack?
Odin

Post by Odin »

Could be, Spicy. When you say Undercity I assume you actually mean the Lower City (there's a definite difference) at which point you're probably around 3rd level, have minimal armor/weapons/feats, and only one party member. There are a few things you could try:

1. Don't go down yet. There are two apartment buildings on the uppermost level of Tarsis - the one you start in and another one in the adjoining sector. There are enemies there to fight, but they're typically individuals or very small groups, so they're more manageable. You can get some better gear as well as some experience doing this. Note that you DO NOT have to level up immediately (see #2).

2. PLAY the game - use the rules. Every time you level up, your health is set to max. SO, if you think you're going to be going into a tough fight, don't level up just yet. Wait until you're near death, then pause the game and level. Not only do you gain more health and special abilities, but you're suddenly healed to full in an instant - it's like going into the fight with double the health.

3. Use some strategy. If you're a scoundrel, note that you do a lot more damage when attacking from stealth. Also, a few grenades can mow down enemies pretty quickly at this level. Note that each of your characters can throw a grenade at once.

4. You can also get experience and cash by dueling in the upper-city cantina. The first couple of duelists (the old guy and 2-fingers) are pretty easy. Ice is hard, Marl is easy, and Twitch is medium-hard. You can also get cash there by playing Pazzak, but if you win more than three games (or maybe it's just three in a row, I dunno) he'll stop playing with you. I saved before each hand, so I won three in a row earning 120. Subtract the 50 I had to spend to get a pazzak deck and it's not a great way to make money. Still, you could buy a few grenades this way.

In other words, an hour is probably too quick to be in the lower city. Spend some more time upstairs first and you should be more formidable when you run into the Vulkars.

Sith