HL2 Review Rumour + Source Engine Comments

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tals

HL2 Review Rumour + Source Engine Comments

Post by tals »

Hi,

One of my gaming friends who has been playing Counter Strike Source for the last week posted his own thoughts on the engine. I post his post in full with his permission, mainly because I haven't seen any really constructive breakdown of the engine in this way. Interested in others comments:
I've been playing around with CS:S (CounterStrike on the Half-Life 2 engine) and while there are some fairly impressive (for their speed of rendering) visual effects, the game does 'suffer' with that horrible shiney, shrink-wrapped effect that DOOM III had. I'm guessing that's a simple, bog-standard pixel shader effect, and if so I really hope the industry grows out of it before it becomes de facto 'cos it's hardly ever used appropriately... and to a cynic like myself it's already dating modern games like generic picture in picture effects dated 80s pop videos or the lens flare effect dates digital photos to the end of the last century.

It also shares DOOM IIIs shocking avoidance of detail textures, so when you approach within 3 feet of a wall/door/crate etc. (as you do almost all the time) the illusion of great visuals is shattered and you get a face full of pixelated shit. I thought the games industry had settled on the simple solution of blending in a detailed texture relating to the supposed material of the surface in question, and then these two big name engines pull this kind of stunt. Again, maybe it's to do with the shader technology, or the bump-mapping. I'm not up on it enough to know the reasons, only that it look terrible and seems like a backwards step. The textures do look great from a distance though. Very realistic - and to be fair you're not going to be scrutinising the walls when there are a dozen frantic CS kiddies out to pwn you. Lets hope HL2 has the necessaries tho' as it's an entirely different kettle of fish.

The smoke 'nades have a good feeling of volume to them when smoking, although I'm not convinced they'll work well as a concealment. There are also some nice lighting effects, ignoring the 'wet-look' shrink-wrap stuff I mentioned earlier, that make you stop and appreciate a scene (possibly fatally mid match), but apart from that I'm not overly impressed.

Don't be fooled by what was shown in the CS:S video about the 'destructible' environment either. It's all cleverly staged to make it look better than it really is. For example, the reason the guy shoots the monitor in the top right is because it only breaks in the top right. Shoot it bottom left, and the top right still flies off. Obviously a production flaw in that line...

The physics also seem a bit sketchy. You can't approach a lot of the items because there's a large invisible buffer around them that bounces you back, or knocks them over before you've even got there. Not really important for the 'fluff' of desk clutter, but when you go to jump on what looks like a handy barrel (bread and butter move for a shooter) you'll either be pushed straight off of it by invisible forces, or it will fall over unconvincingly as you run up to it. Shoot a bottle and there's some lag while nothing happens, then it flies away in a very odd way, like the guy who is supposed to pull the transparent wire wasn't really paying attention for his cue and wasn't pulling in quite the right direction anyway. If this was a film, every time you shot something the director would be cursing and calling for another take.

Finally, while I'm speaking of shooting stuff, neither I nor the hostage I shot through the face were impressed with the results of that little test. He went 'Ooooh' in rather camp manner and just continued to stand there with a gigantic entry and exit wound texture on either side of his mocking mug. I had a flashback to my childhood where I'd lift my shoe off the Lego men I'd been stamping on - only to realise they were all still happily smiling at me. GRRRR!! DIE!!!!! STAMPSTAMPSTAMP... BLAMBLAMBLAM... the hostage then slumped to the floor Star Trek extra style, where he stubbornly refused to offer up any more claret, despite my generosity with the lead. His skull didn't even have to splinter - just leak some more of the (salad fingers voice:) loovely red waaater. No go tho', it was clean as a whistle. Pah. Perhaps this sanitised killing is related to the anti-war slogans supplied as the default spray-can tags... The (only?) good thing about the CS community tho' is that they can sully anything. Lets hope they add some gore/realism.
I also heard another rumour
The reason why game magazines and websites already are reviewing HalfLife2, is because Valve staged a "Review Session" for the press on a special version of the game. Basically they invited everyone out to sitdown and play it for a bit, then write reviews. Due to the leadtime of print media, most of the print rags took advantage of this so their November issues would have fresh reviews of the just released game.

The problem here to me is...

1) Nobody was certain this was the actual release version of the game.
2) Playtime wasn't long enough to really make a truely real review of it.
3) Unbiased might be difficult if you are at valve, being fed steaks and booze, and rubbing elbows with them...

So *ANY* review you see right now, on Half Life2, was reviewed under those conditions. PCGamer was the first to print a review from this little "Event", the others are waiting till release day, or extremely close to release day. I guess in a nutshell, if you are to trust any review, it should be a review 1-2 weeks after its released, from someone that actually played through the game... Not someone munching on caviar and rubbing up to the developers at a staged session.. To me, that speaks of lack of credibility.
I must say if this is the case I find that very disappointing, particularly for the UK magazines (Zone in particular) who made a big stance after Black and White was released to say they wouldn't get involved in this type of stuff. Was very interesting that PC Zone unusually did not have a second opinion regarding the game and also only one of the reviewers posted it as one of the games he was playing. Usually when a biggie like this hits particularly an FPS a large number of the 8 are listed as playing it.

Tals
JCC

Post by JCC »

I don't have the review in front of me, but PC Gamer did acknowledge that they went to Valve to play it, and I am almost 100% sure that he said he played through the entire game, not "a bit" of it.
tals

Post by tals »

Hmm interesting, i'll have to have a dig through my Zone mag, i'm sure no mention was made of it. Previously they had always stated that any game +90 would get a second opinion to stop games being overrated.

Tals
Head

Post by Head »

I have the PC Gamer review in front of me. It's was given a 98% with the bottom line statement "Arguably the best game ever made."

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
tals

Post by tals »

Out of interest, Gamer does what Zone does if I remeber correctly (show who is playing what games). Anybody listed as playing HL2 - i'm assuming the reviewer listed it?

Tals

p.s also interested in anyone who has played the counterstrike source engine with regard to the comments re damage, textures and general feel.
Odin

Post by Odin »

tals wrote:Out of interest, Gamer does what Zone does if I remeber correctly (show who is playing what games). Anybody listed as playing HL2 - i'm assuming the reviewer listed it?

Tals

p.s also interested in anyone who has played the counterstrike source engine with regard to the comments re damage, textures and general feel.
PCGamer gives a byline for each review, so you can see who actually played/wrote it. At least, my reviews always have one. Never seen one that didn't.

Sith
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

The guy who wrote this isn't making himself sound any more respectable.
tals

Post by tals »

The guy who wrote this isn't making himself sound any more respectable.
I disagree :) Or I wouldn't have posted it. He has made some clear comments about the source engine he did admit that he was overly critical - but that is a nice change from people just goggling at something new and ignoring some of the actual reality about it. But it would be nice if you could actually make it clear why you make that comment :) Or is it just about his comments on the CS community - if so look for the thread which talks about people who are losing delibrately crashing the servers

Note it is two different people that wrote the above. 1 for the comment and one for the review. I reread the Zone review last night all the way through and their was no mention that this was done in a closed door session. I also looked very closely for stuff about close up textures seperating - which surely bugs you when it happens in game, there was none. Their was a comment in the review about the shiny aspect which they said was not their so it could be a CS:Source problem as opposed to an HL2 problem.
PCGamer gives a byline for each review, so you can see who actually played/wrote it. At least, my reviews always have one. Never seen one that didn't.
I'm not clear what you are saying. So how many people actually then played it? Then again if PC Gamer have stated it was in a closed door session, they have come clean on it.
I have the PC Gamer review in front of me. It's was given a 98% with the bottom line statement "Arguably the best game ever made."
Again this is going to sound argumentative, but so what? Are you saying that it therefore is the best game, or if its in a closed door session you don't really mind because they state its the best game ever.
I don't have the review in front of me, but PC Gamer did acknowledge that they went to Valve to play it, and I am almost 100% sure that he said he played through the entire game, not "a bit" of it.
At least that is something, I would argue this is not the same as the guy either working at home or the office breaking down the game and then reviewing it. Be interested how many hours they spent playing it. They also would be doing the game on Valves equipment setup just specifically for HL2, who knows Valve could modify even bits of the system to ensure the game runs without hitches if they had wanted.

Regarding the source engine, again same type of comments. The wrong corner of the monitor falling off is poor - i'm surprised that this has not been mentioned before. The invisible zone could again be teh translation of CS to source engine, we won't know for 3 weeks :( If its true i'd be disappointed that the review didn't make a comment about it. Same goes for standing on items. Lag on item again maybe a translation but that is going to be immersion killing - again if it occurs in the game it will be disappointing that this was not highlighted in the review

Personally I am still going to get the game, I reread the review last night and it was still the work of art that it was when I first read it - however I have no doubt that these guys all got caught in the hype of the event (of the rumour is true), you can almost imagine it. Be nice to see what the game is like.

Tals
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I'm commenting on his methods of writing, not the content. His opinions are completely justified, although the way he presents them sound childish. It almost sounds like Valve owed him something, or they killed his favorite pet.

I don't see why detail textures is such a big deal, they aren't that important and unless you are in the habit of staring at a wall up close in a game for no apparent reason, there's better things to look at. Things like amazing character animation, artistic design, and the overall art of the game are much more appealing to me than making sure you can see every grain of a crate's wood texture. Also, detail textures take up even more memory and will slow down the game. It's much more of a technical issue than he makes it out to be. The unreal engine uses many of these features he complains about, but the whole thing looks fake since it's all overused.

I don't think anyone really expected a fully destructable environment, but the environment is certainly more interactive than it was before. So what if a piece of eye candy doesn't break the way you expect it to, you were just shot 5 times and the guy is still shooting at you. Are you going to complain to him that the computer he shot didn't fall apart properly or are you going to shoot back?

I do agree with the issue where physics items tend to bounce you back a bit.

About shooting the hostage, was he expecting some sort of massive grotesque death sequence? I mean, why is that needed in a game? Over the top gore isn't needed in Half-Life 2, it's just not the game it was meant to be. As for the hostage not dying with a bullet wound to the head. Well if a player can take a bullet to the head sometimes, why not the hostage? Plus there's a game balancing factor involved where if hostages were really that frail, too many of them would die if a firefight broke out where they were.

If he wants more gore, he should play Soldier of Fortune, if he wants more realism he should play Rainbow 6. CS source, is not that gory or realistic of a game. Players are routinely shot 3-6 times before dying. And since he doesn't reconcile this fact, it seems more like whining after the fact rather than a legitimate complaint.

As for review rigging, I think PC gamer would have gotten as much publicity if the review was bad as much as good. Maybe not as much money though. ;) I think that there was a lot of shady deals going on, but I doubt it could do that much to raise the reviewers opinion up more. The main reason why they had people come over instead of sending the game out was piracy, most piracy happens when either someone on the distribution staff or a reviewer pirates the game.

There's not much we can do other than to boycott the magazine, which I'm already doing. I trust other reviewers more than high profile magazines that must bark to the tune of their advertisers.
tals

Post by tals »

I'm commenting on his methods of writing, not the content. His opinions are completely justified, although the way he presents them sound childish. It almost sounds like Valve owed him something, or they killed his favorite pet.
Ahh ok, maybe because i've known him for a few years - I actually like his style a lot - very no nonsense, which is what was needed :) He did say afterwards that he was being hypercritical and maybe I should have clarified that - but TBH this is the first time anyone has been critical on the engine, which surprised me considering the points he made.

My own view of the hostage, if there is a huge hole in his head then he should be on the floor :) But maybe where the physics engine and the damage detection arn't quite working together.

I'm still getting the game and if EQ2 does come out as expected then i'm cancelling that one. My game time is going to be on this baby :)

Out of interest which mag are you boycotting, Gamer or Zone?

Tals
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Don't make judgement on source engine based on Counterstrike: Source. CS:S is just a makeover of the original Counterstrike. It is a several years old games with updated graphics and better physics engine. The gameplay and rule is still the same as before. If in classic CS, a shot don't kill the hostage, in this new CS:S, that same shot won't kill that hostage.

Wait until HL2 is out then see if the flaws are still there. Shot a person in the head in HL2 and see if he is still standing. Stand close to a wall and look at it and see if the texture is detailed or not.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

[quote]Don't make judgement on source engine based on Counterstrike: Source. CS:S is just a makeover of the original Counterstrike.[/quote

yup yup.

the guy who wrote that is pretty ignorant about things to assume that the old textures in CS: Source are somehow the fault of the source engine....

secondly, dont know what video card he is using to view the game, so how can we know what he is basing his visual impressions on? could be usin a geforce2 for all we know :D

it has been shown on more than one occasion and i've seen it first hand a geforce 6800 has higher visual quality (shader model etc) than the older generation cards (geforce 5900 etc)
tals

Post by tals »

I can't remember what card he uses, needless to say its significantly higher than mine and I have a 2.4AMD, 512MB and Geforce 4 ti 4400, so I don't think its that bad. Whether its causing the problem i'm not sure. Anyone else using the CS source and able to say that they do not get bad textures close up? Whether textures are source or CS translation you could argue you are ignorant assuming they are not. I don't know and neither do you :)

I think you all have missed the point by so far you're on a different plant.

I have seen loads of stuff ohhhing and ahhhing over how great the source engine is. Then I post this and everyone is getting defensive - what's going on are you in the laps of Valve or something?

The guy was being hyper critical I have said that, but by the sound of it he isn't off the mark.

I found It is refreshing to get a different point of view - otherwise we get the GG effect all over again and in truth all we have is a fan boy effect which isn't good for anyone. Until HL2 comes out we won't be able to see if these are CS source translation issues or actual source engine issues.

Tals
Victoria Raverna

Tals,

I posted my opinion that you can't judge the quality of source engine based on CS:S and you are getting so defensive. What's going on? Do you worship your friend so much that you can't handle the fact that he might be wrong? When you posted something here and give your opinion, you should expect people who don't agree with you. If you can't handle that, you're not mature enough to discuss in a public board.

CS:S has the exact maps as the original CS with slightly updated textures and the addition of better physics engine. If you spend just 5 minutes to play CS:S instead of listening to your friend's opinion, you'll find that out yourself.

If you read and understand your friend's comment, you'll know that his comments are mostly on the flaw of CS:S and not about the source engine. When you have CS:S, try to run the video stress test to see the ability of the source engine.
tals

Post by tals »

Not at all :)

What does bug me is what has he said that is wrong - maybe the title is making people find it difficult to understand. To just make it clear we are commenting on the use of the source engine in CS and the possible implications for HL2.

My comments are based on the impressions gained from the source engine from players experiences of Counter Strike Source. As I said if I hadn't posted the comments at the start you could be led to believe that it is flawless from various posts made in the forums. I believe I have clarified:
Until HL2 comes out we won't be able to see if these are CS source translation issues or actual source engine issues.
Whats difficult to understand about that? Defensive, disappointed more like and not regarding the game.
If you can't handle that, you're not mature enough to discuss in a public board.
Don't overrate a games board. Maybe what I asked to much from this thread was to expect people to deciminate the posting made and actual say - heck tals you're wrong its not a shiny engine and nmo tals you're wrong close up the textures don't break up. Tals what are you on when you approach objects a barrier isn't around the object and you can't get stuck within them. Did I ask to much?

Out of interest yes I have played Counter Strike, back when it first came out - it is a great game. I haven't yet played CS-Source because the boxed version of the game hasn't come out yet and Steam is significantly more expensive in the UK than the boxed ver.

I had thought the point of the boards was to get objective views regarding it to help others make an objective choice. I will be buying HL2 primarily and strangely for HL2 - CS-Source is just an icing on thhe cake, but some of the comments made I found interesting, others obviously didn't.

Tals
Victoria Raverna

If you want to discuss, don't accuse people of being on Valve lap just for suggesting that you should wait for a brand new game build from ground up using source engine before judging the engine.

There is a 'preview' on the things that the source engine can do called video stress test in CS:S. Based on that test, I know that the detailed texture thing is not the fault of the engine.

The shiny thing is also something I don't like which I noticed in recent games like Deus Ex:IW, Thief 3, Fable, etc, but it is more of a graphic style than the fault of the engine. Strangely, in CS:S the effect is less noticeable, but in the video stress test part, it is very noticeable so I fear that HL2 will have the same effect.

As for the barrier problem, they exist in CS:S. It seems that CS:S has a bad boundary for collision detection.

Now as for objective view. You can't get objective view on an unreleased product. Your speculation based on someone else opinion about CS:S can't help people make the right decision about HL2. If you want people's opinion about HL2, wait until it is released then you'll get impressions and reviews here.
tals

Post by tals »

If you want to discuss, don't accuse people of being on Valve lap just for suggesting that you should wait for a brand new game build from ground up using source engine before judging the engine.
Apologies if that was the impression given. That was not the reason - a number of threads in the forum have rated CS:Source, I was therefore expecting some lively knockdown of the points raised in the article. What I hadn't expected was focussing on the posters writing style and still ignoring the points made. That was why I made the comment.

Thank you for your clarifications, that was what I had expecting/hoping of the thread.

Linking the review rumour and the original comments was a mistake on my part - which then confused the thread and its subsequent direction or lack of it. Good learning experience.

Tals
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We all have the print magazines against the wall. They have time deadlines to deal with - and the Internet seems to scoop them on just about every story.

We want them to be objective and fair, but we call tainto when they're flown to Valve's office to get an exculsive playtest.

Bastards can't win.

I would agree though - I'd hold off on believing reviews until it hits the retail market.

Everyone was talking DOOM3 up like it could cure cancer. While visually stimulating, IMHO it's a hollow, poorly designed game.

I really want to believe HL2 isn't going to stink. Very badly.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
tals

Post by tals »

Smoove_B wrote:I really want to believe HL2 isn't going to stink. Very badly.
So very true, I think we all go from past experience and in the case of Valve they came up with the goods on Half Life - if they do anything that matches Half Life we are in for a real gem.

Tals
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I wonder if there are any mags that are holding off on review of this game until the game actually ships.

Or if any of the mags that have already reviewed it will be doing another review if the shipping game differs at all from the one they played.

I think they should re-review it regardless once it actually ships. The hype will have died down a bit by then and also I think all those mags should have a policy where they don't review the game until it ships.

I mean, this whole idea of "Come down to our offices and review our game a couple months before we ship it" is just plain fishy, and it doesn't take much imagination to think of the goofy possibilities if this becomes a trend. For instance, changes made to the game after it's already been reviewed by everybody.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

The shiny bit is specular lighting, its reflecting back white light much as plastic does.
tals

Post by tals »

Giles Habibula wrote:I wonder if there are any mags that are holding off on review of this game until the game actually ships.

Or if any of the mags that have already reviewed it will be doing another review if the shipping game differs at all from the one they played.

I think they should re-review it regardless once it actually ships. The hype will have died down a bit by then and also I think all those mags should have a policy where they don't review the game until it ships.

I mean, this whole idea of "Come down to our offices and review our game a couple months before we ship it" is just plain fishy, and it doesn't take much imagination to think of the goofy possibilities if this becomes a trend. For instance, changes made to the game after it's already been reviewed by everybody.
PC Zone for one definitely made this commitment that they wouldn't review till they had the version that would ship. That then slips to Gold, then reviewers one etc. Trouble is all the Mags want to have reviewed the game before it hits the shelves - the readers won't be happy if they are not :( Also something as big as HL2 if you know your competitors are going to be doing it, you're going to do it - to much market force could be lost by a bad decision there.

I believe Avault is posting a review soon, also gamespot has one in the works. So this time it looks like the online ones will be the ones to take a harder/longer look at the game.

Tals
DD

Post by DD »

I'm at the point where the only reviews I give any weight to are found on GG, oops, I mean here. ;) I'm still gunshy after buying the steaming load of crapola known as Black and White, which was the GRATEST GAME EVAR!!!1!!1!!11!! according to all the industry rags.

Now I *always* wait for the real impressions before laying down my hard earned cabbage.
tals

Post by tals »

Don't you'll make me cancel my preorder :)

Tals