American McGee's Scrapland?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rrmorton

American McGee's Scrapland?

Post by rrmorton »

I can't find any threads about Scrapland here or at CG.

I got a demo disc with a magazine but I haven't tried it.

I liked Alice. I dislike American McGee's gamegod image mongering. Scrapland looks dorky but potentially intriguing.

Anyone heard any buzz or tried the demo? (I'm not even 100% sure it was a playable demo.) When's it coming out?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I just happened to notice a Scrapland interview appeared tonight on Gamespot. I tried reading it and couldn't get past the first page. This McGee guy is such a tool I almost want to boycott any game with his name on it.

I mean, WTF:
GS: There are many different kinds of gameplay in Scrapland, from the action adventure-style gameplay to the vehicle chases. What kind of balance between the two were you looking for?

AG: Imagine a set of scales made of metal. Old ones--like the ones held by that lady who measures justice. On one side picture a bunch of bananas. On the other side picture some angry weasels. (Poke them with something to make them angry if they seem too placid.) Good, now see how dynamic the bananas and the weasels are with that blind lady trying to figure out what the !(@# is going on with her scales. That's the kind of balance we were looking for. Try it, you'll like it. You are a banana by the way.
I can't decide if that answer is painfully unfunny or painfully unhelpful.

Scrapland is looking iffy at best. There must be a reason nobody's talking about it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From what I remember reading in the magazines, it was designed by some European company...and at some point far into the development, they hired American McGee to come aboard and help them give it "mass appeal" or something similar.

He hasn't been involved with the project from day one - think of him more like the two Bobs from "Office Space".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

Smoove_B wrote:From what I remember reading in the magazines, it was designed by some European company...and at some point far into the development, they hired American McGee to come aboard and help them give it "mass appeal" or something similar.

He hasn't been involved with the project from day one - think of him more like the two Bobs from "Office Space".
Indeed. It was developed by Mercury Steam, which was a restart by most of the guys that did Blade of Darkness (Severance:BoD outside the US). American McGee was brought it for the last portion of the project as a producer and his name was added to the game for marketability. Bleah!

I tried the demo and it seems pretty cool. Sort of a cross between an adventure game and GTA. I guess sort of like Beyond Good and Evil, except with robots and humor and stuff. Flying your ships around the city is actually pretty awe-inspiring since you can fly up, down and around like the cars in the Fifth Element or something.

I'd say give the demo a try if you are interested at all.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Blade of Darkness was pretty cool.

Guess I'll keep my eyes on the reviews and I won't let Mr. McGee spoil a potentially good game.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

rrmorton, why do you hate American?

:wink:

I also think Scrapland looks intriguing. Have you seen the stuff for Psychonauts? Now THAT game looks fascinating.
Draco

Post by Draco »

It sounds like the game Metal Arms 2 would have been.... if there had been a Metal Arms 2. :cry:
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

No, not nearly as run and gun as Metal Arms. Much more walking around and talking to people and other stuff. At least from what I played of the demo. It reminds me quite a bit of Beyond Good & Evil, if you've played that one.