[SI AAR] Octopus Underlords - WE'RE ALL DONE!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

Re: [SI AAR] Octopus Underlords

Post by tgb »

Other than Drenchia's demand no Butternut, not a lot going on in this last turn. Butterfinger has us all outclassed at the moment, and it will take a concerted effort to stop him.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

The "concerted effort" to stop me begins with another demand.
Naturally I refuse. Thanks for another 7 prestige, Chaz! Perhaps you can offer me a real battle. Archinerd's threats are ... less than intimidating. Its the thought that counts, though -- even in Hell.

Good plan, tgb. Have everyone else weaken themselves doing your dirty work, then sweep in and clean up. Or perhaps your plan is merely to feed me more prestige? If so, I like it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

NO!! Butterball, I'll have revenge for that! Although, it was pretty close, I had you down to 1 hp left.
Spoiler:
Well, that hurt. I lost my Wyrrmms too! This war was ill advised. Someone will pay dearly.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, you just hide over there. Of course, the angels be coming for you.
Spoiler:
So someone just played an even that basically calls down a host of angels to smack everyone down. They're this big, high-powered legion that flits around the map smacking everyone's biggest legion starting with the player in 1st place and going down the list. It's not invincible, just really tough. If you can take it down, you get some prestige. As a side benefit, the conclave also cancels all outstanding vendettas.

My suspicion is that Butterknife played it. He got to take Arch's hex, make two of us waste orders, and if he can take the angels, gets some prestige out of the deal. Of course, if he can't take the angels, his biggest legion gets whacked, but then the angels move on to other players, so win/win. Then again, it might have been the person in last place who played it just to muck with the leaders.

This is actually okay for me because my stealing of BK's praetor was dependent on getting 4 darkness this turn. I didn't get it, but I did get enough resources to start stealing resources from BK with a ritual, so I'm going to start doing that. It costs me a few resources, but I've had that ritual net me eight cards in return, and it deprives him of stuff, so it's worth it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
I put in a bid on the Praetor Eligios, who comes with a buff of +5 Ranged. That should give me the boost I need to grab that +3 PoP in another turn or two. Then I shall rule them all!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Arch, let us know when we should upgrade to 1.04a. Or does it not matter for this patch, since it mostly covers SP?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
tgb

Post by tgb »

Chaz wrote:Arch, let us know when we should upgrade to 1.04a. Or does it not matter for this patch, since it mostly covers SP?
Doesn't matter, according to Vic.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

No Vendettas, Demands, or Insults for 4 turns? Whoever played that card ... your timing was excellent. Naturally after crushing Archinerd's legion I was about to take yet another Place of Power. Oh well. I am patient.

Ahh, who am I kidding. I will hunt you down and drink your children's blood, spawn of evil! Just when I was about to solidify my lead to the point where all hope was lost, you have to play that. I was looking forward to beating on Chaz, too!

Oh well. On the bright side, 4 turns to increase my lead ...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I am running 4.01a or 1.04a or whatever the latest and greatest is.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

Butterknife wrote:No Vendettas, Demands, or Insults for 4 turns? Whoever played that card ... your timing was excellent. Naturally after crushing Archinerd's legion I was about to take yet another Place of Power. Oh well. I am patient.
It had to be Archie that played it.

And I am now sporting an impressive 4 Prestige now that my potential vendetta was nullified after I made my demand for tribute. Hmmmm.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Not much going on for me this turn. I'm using the ban on vendettas to rebuild my wealth and hopefully be ready when then ban lifts. My Legion already reformed though, that was fast.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
I won the bid on Eligios, and attached him to the Maidens, giving them 10 in ranged. I will use them for the first attack on the +3 Pit. They won't take it, but they won't get killed either (by my calculations), weakening the Pit enough to take it on the next turn. If all goes according to plan.

Once I have the Pit, that's 5 Prestige/turn, plus the bonus of 30 for achieving the Lust objective. All I will have to do at this point is not blow it, and assess the possibility of anyone else achieving their Public Objective.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

As long as this event is in effect, I just envision us all sitting around a table glaring at each other.
Spoiler:
I had to spend an order adjusting my threat list this turn. I had expected the Sheriff to be a bigger problem, but it seems that BK's lead is getting huge, so I swapped BK into the #1 spot, and the Sheriff to #2. This will make for cheaper stealing attempts toward BK, which is good, because I plan on doing that a lot.

Since I can't do much else to hurt him, I'm going to keep robbing him every turn, as well as gathering my own resources. Ideally, he'll either have to spend all his orders demanding tribute to break even, or he'll eventually run out of funds. On top of that, I'd like to steal all his stuff, leaving him more vulnerable to counterattack. What I'm not sure on is if he knows who's stealing from him yet. When casting deception rituals, the target has to beat the caster in an ID roll (with various modifiers) to tell who's targeting him. I have a pretty high deception, so I'm guessing he hasn't figured me out yet. Not that that would stop me. :twisted:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Finally got caught up reading this. Very interesting so far.

I'll be rather fascinated to see what everyone thinks of their starting build once the game is done. There are a few of them that are way outside of how I tend to design archfiends, but I really want to see someone prove that an alternate build like those can compete.
Last edited by Sepiche on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

If you're talking about my build, I'm not convinced it's going to work either. I'm basically trying different extremes in the different PBEM games I'm in. We'll see what happens. :ninja:
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

So what's going on? I got turn 18 a couple of days ago, but haven't heard anything since. Are we waiting on someone in particular? Or did you all just give up because of my obvious dominance?
tgb

Post by tgb »

I got 18 last night. I haven't gotten anything today
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:ninja: If you're bored you could always start another game. :ninja:
razgon

Post by razgon »

I was the holdup - having mail issues
Gone...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

We're back on schedule now I think. Razgon was having some email issues and had been arrested for some sort of 'green protest'. I didn't ask.
Spoiler:
So another quiet turn for me. I've got a bid on in a Praetor, he's not that great but he's what I can afford. I can teach him manual of defense though. I'm going to try and gather enough resources together for next turn to, when the ban is lifted. I want to try and cast the Ritual Infernal Negotiations again... I have a feeling everyone will be itching to get diplomacy going again, I hope to profit from it.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I keep having to double check which thread this is to make sure I can read the spoilers. :ninja:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:I keep having to double check which thread this is to make sure I can read the spoilers. :ninja:
I went to quote Sepiche in our AAR once and went SHIT! and closed the page really quick.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
Crap, I needs me some darkness. Currently, I'm drowning in hellfire, but I only have a single point of darkness. That's a problem because the main resource that my rituals use is darkness. Even successfully stealing from BK didn't help me a bunch.

At some point, someone's going to have to go in there after him. He's pulling way far ahead, and that's concerning. Also concerning are his three legions, at least one of which is gross. My legion is pretty gross by itself, but I don't know that it'd stand up to his. Right now, mine's rocking the ballista, so it's got a 12 ranged and does double ranged damage. What I'd really like to do is pick up the praetor sitting in the bazaar who gives another +3 to ranged and makes it so you do ranged twice. That would be a nearly unstoppable legion right there. Hell, I could possibly take Pandemonium with it.

Unfortunately, getting that guy also requires resources I don't have. So this turn is spent using all three of my orders to gather resources. Not my ideal use of time, but necessary.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
This is called "Let's You And Him Fight".

First of all, my plan to take the +3 Pit procedes as intended. It's down to 4 HP, and should fall next turn. Better yet, I drew (and played) the Expel the Heretic event, which puts a random player up for Excommunication.

I have a 5 in 6 chance that it won't be me, and if the vote goes my way, someone's gonna be in a world of hurt. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Spoiler:

For the second turn in a row, I have been the target of a looting the vaults ritual that was successful. I have no idea who it is, but they are definitely doing damage. I can't save up any resources and I've been effectively stopped (although I'm still making plenty of Prestige from just waiting).

Only one more turn of inaction, and then I can start up a fight again. I'll probably pester Drenichra and Chaz, and placate Razgon with tribute as needed.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure if this gives anything away, so
Spoiler:
I picture Darth Maul and Obi Wan staring at each other through the force fields...except x6. It's going to be fun when they can attack again!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tgb

Post by tgb »

Anyone know what the hang up is?
razgon

Post by razgon »

tgb wrote:Anyone know what the hang up is?
Its probably still me - having ISP mail issues with attachments, but I did manage to send it a few hours ago
Gone...
tgb

Post by tgb »

I finally managed to take the +3 Pit, putting me in second place. Now to give my loyal Legions some well earned R&R.

Someone nominated RazzleDazzle for Excommunication. Normally I'd vote Yea, but Nutterbife is in position to move in and seize Drazzil's Stronghold, which would almost guarantee him the win (Butterdump has a Public Objective of Wrath).

I need to think this through carefully.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Razgon may no longer be included among the Great Houses of Hell! A vote has come before the Conclave, and his peers will decide his fate...
Spoiler:
Someone has played an event and Razgon may be excommunicated! I think it's chosen at random who the target is, because I can't see any really good reason to choose Razgon over any other... but maybe I'm missing something. Before we get into this, I'll just say I used my turn to recast the Diplo-Ritual and to gather tribute so I can hopefully keep it going.

So now I'm going to make up for lack of Screen shots.
First off, here's a partial turn log for 20. High Sheriff grabs another PoP. The Infernal Conclave accuses Razgon and there's my new Praetor (looks like Michael Jackson). ..and the Ban on Vendettas is lifted. There's a lot going on. The other junk at the bottom isn't all that interesting, just my tribute and the passing of the Regent.

So, the vote takes some thinking on my part. It would be easy just to kick Razgon out and go beserk on him.. but nothing in hell is that easy. If I vote in the minority, I lose the prestige I used to vote, and it costs 20 prestige to vote! If the 'no' vote wins (and I vote no) I also get a bonus of 10 prestige. So I have a choice. Abstain, vote yes or vote no. Let's take a look at the standings:

Razgon isn't doing any better than me, and since I'm far from the lead he's not much of a threat to me directly at this point. We still have to catch Butterball and knock him down a peg. Also, Razgon is a little South of me, and without too much difficulty he could reach Pandemonium... if he were already excommunicated, he wouldn't have anything to lose, but I don't really want his Legions tromping around my parts. The way I see it, I don't have much to gain from Razgon being excommunicated. Maybe a canton or two.
But, Butterball does have something to gain. His objective is Wrath - take someone else's stronghold. Not too hard for him if Razgon gets exxed. He's got the armies and is close enough to use them. I'm going to vote NO.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

tgb isn't wrong about the vote.
Spoiler:
In fact, I think he's 100% right about it. Raz getting kicked out of the conclave would indeed allow BK to swoop in and take all his stuff with that one legion. That would be bad. Of course, if the vote comes up against excommunication, everyone who voted no gets an extra 10 prestige point bonus. It's not crazy to think that BK played the event knowing that he was about to become regent and so get another event while simultaneously knowing that everyone was likely to vote no, thus also giving him a free 10 points. Evil.

I got a good amount of darkness last turn, so this turn I'm going to make a grab for both BK's tribute cards and his praetor. That one legion of his is still gross even without the praetor, but not having it weakens the legion as well as opens him up to single combat vendettas. I'm really hoping I get the praetor off him.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Razgon, what have you been up to? Did Santa put you on the Nice list? The voting results from next turn ought to be very interesting ...

tgb finally managed to capture his +3 Place of Power, and with that will begin slowly bridging the gap between us (he is +5 prestige/turn, I am +4). We are 1/3 of the way through the game with 5 of 15 conclave tokens drawn.

As for my own turn
Spoiler:
I am voting against excommunicating Razgon. Although it suits my purposes to have everyone think I am going to attack him, in reality he could kick my butt with his Gorgons that he has been holding on to since the beginning of the game (they are really tough, but have an upkeep cost as well). I am far more interested in taking another Place of Power from either Drenichra or Chazztaroth, so hopefully one of them demands tribute from me again so that I can tell them "No". If neither does, I will probably start making some demands of my own next turn.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Those fools in the Conclave absolved Razgunnzz of all charges, and allowed him to remain a member - for now. As for me -
Spoiler:
My Nay vote earned me a nice bonus of 10 Prestige, solidifying my position in 2nd place.

I picked up a lot of Darkness this turn, which is good, since I need 15 to advance to Level 4 Cunning. I should be able to do that in 2 or 3 turns. Once I do, that will give me another order/turn and two key rituals - Loot the Vaults and the one that lets you pin your thefts on someone else.

Once there I can really put the screws to Buttermilk and take over this game. :twisted:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Is Razgon's email still down?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:Is Razgon's email still down?
I haven't heard back from him.
Razgon, do you have an update?
razgon

Post by razgon »

SORRY guys... at family right now, but when I get home, I will either have the ISP working again, OR make a hotmail account for the game...
Gone...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is there any interest in a third PBEM game? I finally got the game and have figured out how to play the game, if not play it well, so I'm happy to be the steamrollered n00b in a new game.
Black Lives Matter.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Just bumping because apparently Razgon is back among the living, and he informs me the game can resume today.

Just so everyone knows - my Home Show is this weekend, which means I'll only be around for a short time early in the morning from Wed. through Sun. I'll probably be able to submit my turns, but I don't know if I will be contributing to this thread a whole lot.

Now if I can only remember what I was doing.......
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

One of my three games just got rolling again, and I'll be damned if I can remember what the hell I was doing. It doesn't help that in that game I'm not 100% sure that there is anything beneficial for me to be doing anyway.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:Just bumping because apparently Razgon is back among the living, and he informs me the game can resume today.

Just so everyone knows - my Home Show is this weekend, which means I'll only be around for a short time early in the morning from Wed. through Sun. I'll probably be able to submit my turns, but I don't know if I will be contributing to this thread a whole lot.

Now if I can only remember what I was doing.......
Still waiting on Razgon's turn. Maybe he's mad that somebody tried to excommunicate him?