[SI AAR] Octopus Underlords - WE'RE ALL DONE!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chaz

Re: [SI AAR] Octopus Underlords

Post by Chaz »

Indeed, a slow turn. Would have liked to have the talisman, but, well, other things.
Spoiler:
I did take the bridge that I was looking to take, and found out that there's an in-game messaging system, which is pretty neat. My neighbor Wilson...er...Demon Wilson offered to let me have access to the Vats south of the river as long as I let him maintain access to the Sheriff of Hell who is southeast of the two bridge hexes. I never really intended to go for the vats myself right now, and wasn't really planning on blocking him off from that area yet either, but there's no harm in letting him think that I was planning on doing both of those things, so I tell him that his proposal is fine by me. :twisted: Having the vats later would be great, though I suspect that our neighbor has designs on them.

Otherwise, I'm still on a quest for resources, as I need to start bumping my avatar stats. Right now, I can cast a ritual that lets me attempt to steal relics. That's neat, but the next level lets me steal resources, which is far more useful and annoying to my enemies. Another level past that lets me spend a few more resources in order to frame a different opponent, which will be hugely amusing. But all that requires resources...
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Archinerd, you won't see it yet because it's in my spoilered section, but I've decided that due to our ownership of adjoining bridges, I'm going to start calling you Evil Wilson. :lol:
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Turn 6. The Olympics passed over Chicago this year, and have come to Hell. "The IOC and The Infernal Conclave have announced the impending observance of the most glorious games of immortal combat ever held in the Infernal Pit. A call for Champions has been sent to every Great House. In 2 turns they will meet in Pandemonium to battle for a magnificent prize. Those who do not offer a champion will be judged accordingly."*

*portions of this quote may be fabricated by me.
Spoiler:
Guess I better get me a champion. I think I know who did this... but at this point there really isn't much I can do other than bid on a Praetor and hope he's good enough. Chances are that he's not, because the planner of these games has been preparing.
In other news, Chazz has verbally accepted my deal... now let's see how long he keeps it. And still no Darkness for my upgrade, not that it would have mattered much. I ended up using some of my other resources to bid on a Praetor.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That certainly throws a monkey wrench into things.
Spoiler:
Someone just smacked everyone with an event. Whenever a player gets to be regent (ie- first player), they draw an event card. Events can be played as an order, and they have some big, global effect. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Always interesting. The event in my hand is that everyone gets a bonus to their resource collection. While that would help me, I worry that it would help everyone else as much or more, so I haven't played it.

This turn, someone used an event card that calls the Tournament of Champions. This means that within two turns, everyone has to designate a praetor as their champion to go fight in the arena. Failure to send a champion will cost prestige, and the winner gets a prize. The problem is that few of us have praetors right now, and I sure can't afford one. I want one anyway, but this is going to make that more interesting.

So what's going to happen is that whoever can afford one right now will bid on the cheapest one this turn, likely generating some competition for the low-cost praetors in the bazaar right now. The rest of us will be gathering resources, and next turn will produce even more competition. I'll hopefully be in on that round if I get the resources I need.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chaz wrote:Archinerd, you won't see it yet because it's in my spoilered section, but I've decided that due to our ownership of adjoining bridges, I'm going to start calling you Evil Wilson. :lol:
What makes you think I'm not reading your spoilered section? ;)
Just kidding, in all seriousness, let's meet at the bridges at noon. You stand on yours, and I mine, and we'll have a good ol' fashion pissing match. Arch-Demon to Arch-Demon.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Aw, I was hoping to ask you for parenting advise. :(
tgb

Post by tgb »

Guys, 1.03 is up. Among other bug fixes, right clicking on the Tribute tray sorts them.

It's compatible with all saves, but one all our turns are in, everyone should update.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
With the first Conclave Token drawn, here's how things stand:

I don't have a Praetor, and I don't see myself affording one in the next 2 turns. Being unable to compete in the Games is going to cost me some Prestige, but I'm already getting 2/turn, and once I get the Pit I'll catch up quickly.
Like everyone else, I'm wondering what Slobbergath is up to.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just wanted to let you know I'm still reading and enjoying it. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

tgb wrote:Guys, 1.03 is up. Among other bug fixes, right clicking on the Tribute tray sorts them.

It's compatible with all saves, but one all our turns are in, everyone should update.
So we should update on our end after sending in turn 6?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Chaz wrote:
tgb wrote:Guys, 1.03 is up. Among other bug fixes, right clicking on the Tribute tray sorts them.

I did it before. It really doesn't matter, except the turns should be processed under 1.03
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:
Chaz wrote:

I did it before. It really doesn't matter, except the turns should be processed under 1.03
I'm on it.
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

tgb wrote:

Like everyone else, I'm wondering what Slobbergath is up to.
Secret demon stuff.

Actually, I'm doing the equivalent of twiddling my thumbs and sorting through the shiny bits from my tribute pile.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You know, I never liked tournaments very much anyway . Sports are for losers. :pout:
Spoiler:
So one of the down sides of events that only give you two turns to respond is that you'll get notice of the event, and have to give a response either that turn or the next. The event requiring me to send a praetor hosed me because since I didn't own one already, I would have had to bid on one that same turn. Then I would've won it the next turn and been able to send it off by the deadline. Since I didn't have the resources last turn, I couldn't own a praetor before the deadline, so I'll have to take the prestige hit.

That may not be a bad thing. Being in the early lead will just draw attention, especially since with the second PoP that I have surrounded, I should be able to grab it and start making points off it at will. Also, not buying a praetor leaves my resources available for other things.

Things like the relic that gives an extra order that's sitting in the bazaar. I'm four darkness short of affording it, so this turn sees me just gathering resources. I'm hoping that the spending everyone else has been doing has kept their accounts empty, and I'll be able to take it mostly unopposed. Having that this early would be huge, but I doubt I'll get it without a fight.
So who's going to be the one to issue the first demand?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
Another slow turn. I'm just solidifying my borders and gathering tribute at this point. I think I am the only player without a Praetor for the upcoming games, so that will cost me.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Well. I won the bid on a Praetor in time for the big tournament. I don't think he will be good enough to win, but he may with some luck. In any case, I won't lose Prestige for being unable to compete at all. lets take a look at him;
He has decent stats. Attack 8 Def 6. 10 is the highest natural stat, but I've gotten these numbers up to 20 or so against the AI. 0 orbs though, that means he doesn't have any magic, and magic is strong in single combat because it can't be blocked by normal means. My Champion also doesn't have any special moves. All he really has is a high luck of 3. If he rolls well, that 3 could mean the difference between defeat and victory, because it could potential add 3 to whatever shields and skulls he rolls in combat. Taking another look at him, I guess he also has pretty high hit points. I consider anything over 10 to be pretty good.
Those other stats for ranged and melee bonuses won't help me in single combat, those only apply if he's attached to one of my legions.
Fingers crossed.

With my other order, I am now going to attempt to move my legion to cut tgb off from Pandemonium. At the very least he'll have to go through me first before he can take it by force.
And here's a secret message to my enemies:
Spoiler:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Arg, all these spoilers that I can't read are killing me! I kind of can't wait until we finish up so I can go back and read the play-by-play.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I'm willing to sell secrets for some Rock Band DLC. :ninja:
razgon

Post by razgon »

Gods I'm boring in this game!!

*lulls everyone into a false (false) sense of complacency*...

its all part of a diabolical plan, to make you think that I am no threat!! And when you are *This* close to winning...I will be there!! WATCHING!!

eh...
Gone...
tgb

Post by tgb »

Chaz wrote:Arg, all these spoilers that I can't read are killing me! I kind of can't wait until we finish up so I can go back and read the play-by-play.
I know. I really have to fight off the temptation to peek.
tgb

Post by tgb »

With Turn 7, things have started heating up. Butterball won the Infernal Games, winning both 15 Presitge, and the Phylactory of Putrid Essence (Hey! You got your Dragon Age in my SI!). As expected, I lost 11 Prestige for not having a Praetor to enter. That dropped me from first place to third. Ouch!

In other news, it seems Razzledazzle made a Demand of Butterbeans. I briefly considered doing the same, except
Spoiler:
With no Praetor and no adjoining hexes, there is no way I could claim Vendetta if Butterspread says no. And then I'm out even more Presitge, which I can't afford right now.

Better to keep grabbing hexes and Tribute for the time being.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I think the bigger effect of the games was knocking three of us back to the back of the pack. Jerk.
Spoiler:
As expected, 11 prestige gone, putting me back to 10. That shouldn't hurt too bad yet, but it's something to keep an eye on. I'm still having resource troubles, so this turn I decided to bump my charisma up a point. That costs resources, but it will give me a better chance at drawing high-value resource cards, as well as the ability to choose two out of three that are drawn instead of my current ability to keep both cards that are drawn.

I do have an overabundance of souls though, so I just need a bunch of darkness to be able to buy that +1 order relic, but I'm starting to think someone else is going to get to it first.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
So, I lost the big fight as I suspected. I think I was up against the instigator... I should have paid more attention to remember who that was. I say that I was up against the instigator though, because he was the only Praetor out of the 3 who had advanced combat moves. Impenetrable stance. It doubles the effectiveness of shields for the rest of the round. My Praetor managed to get some hits on him, but it wasn't enough. Barbatos (the instigator) went on to fight the only other champion enrolled, and lost. So if I'm right, it looks like there was an upset. Here's the rounds of combat. The skulls are damage, the shields defense and the orange splats are luck, added to both shields and skulls. This match ended in two rounds, the victory match went for 5. Sorry, I forgot to grab screen shots of that battle.

tgb

Post by tgb »

Butterbuns conceded to Dramaqueen's Demand. In other news, Assgone has taken his third PoP, which will put her (temporarily) in the lead.

Until my plan comes together, that is.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Mwuahahahaha!

"I love it when a plan comes together". Oh yeah, I played the Great Games, and I don't care who knows it! As a downside, I did have to give up a tiny amount of tribute, as I really wasn't in a position to fight with Razgon just yet. My solace is his position ... at the rear.

You know, I thought the AIs were going to be better in a multi-player game. ;) *snicker*

Stay tuned for more diabolical trickery ...
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

You guys are all jerks. :tjg:
ZOD

Post by ZOD »

Spoiler:
Well, almost pulled off beating Butterknife at the games by virtue of having a better Praetor than him. In the end, it came down to Luck -- and Orbs. Note to self, dueling Praetor's should have orbs.

Unfortunately, these means I lost a Praetor that was never intended for dueling, but to lead my melee-high core Legion. On the plus side, I didn't lose any prestige, and the resources seem to be coming in fairly well. I did lose a Praetor and a combat move -- a double scroll I was actually lucky enough to get in the starting tribute on turn one.

For the time being, I remain quiescent.
razgon

Post by razgon »

Chaz wrote:You guys are all jerks. :tjg:
+1 !!

I need bigger guns!
Gone...
tgb

Post by tgb »

Spoiler:
Moving forward, I remain in third place. I'm not crazy about any of the Artifacts or Praetors available, so I finally get my CHA up to level 2. The Pit is still behind a fence, so I can take it at my leisure.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

:grund:
Spoiler:
The brick wall is just there to throw my enemies off.
So, I'm pretty sure I've skipped a turn or two, but here's where things stand at the moment. It's turn 10. Turn 10 is a milestone, it's the last turn you can adjust your threat order for free. I usually forget about it after this point, so its likely to be the last time I adjust it at all. Enemies that are listed higher cost less resources to 'attack' with diplomatic demands /insults and rituals. It also influences how much of a Prestige award you can get for winning a vendetta too. I adjusted my threat order, but it won't update until next turn and I'm not sure if it will reset itself if I go in to tinker around with it, so I'll just try to go from memory. From the top:
Butterknife - because he has the start of a good Praetor and has most prestige.
High Sheriff - next hightest prestige (after me) and my close neighbor.
Slorbghast - his legion has been parked next to my Place of Power for several turns, although he is currently in last place.
Chazz - another immediate neighbor
Razgon - I'm not near him, and he hasn't done much this game that I can tell. I'm going to keep an eye on him though. In another game I have going with him he has a very sizeable lead, so I know he is capable.

As for my orders this turn, I'm gathering tribute again in the hopes of getting fire now. I seem to have enough darkness but somehow spent all my fire, I'm never going to get to intellect 4. Also, I am going to start up a ritual, but without fire it's going to be pretty short lived. The Ritual is Infernal Negotiations - which gives me a bonus to bids in the Bazaar (helps with tie-breakers) and also gives me a discount to my Diplomatic Actions as long as it is active. It requires a modest upkeep ea. turn of 2 blood and 2 fire I think. But the other thing I think it does is give me a small kick back of prestige any time the others take Diplomatic Actions I'm not involved in. At least I think thats what happens, I've only ever tried it against the AI but they are pretty sparse on the Diplo actions between each other.

Sorry for the lack of pictures this time.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That +1 order relic sure did get bought. :ninja:
Spoiler:
And not by me. That's going to give the current owner a pretty decent advantage. Also sitting in the bazaar are three different relics that all give +1 prestige plus another bonus. I'm one darkness from affording any of them, but I think I'll need to invest in one soon to help make up the gap.

Alone those lines, I just put in a bid for the Hellfire Ballista, which gives the legion it's attached to +4 ranged. Incidentally, that's exactly as much as I need to boost my legion enough to take out the second PoP. This turn is being spent bidding on that and gathering resources.

Next turn will hopefully see me win the ballista, attach it to my legion in the first phase, and then take the PoP in the second phase. If I get the extra darkness I need, I'll be bidding on one of the +1 prestige artifacts the turn after, and then working on boosting my Cunning so I can start stealing shit. :twisted:
tgb

Post by tgb »

This is not good. Butterknife, a lowly Marquis, has taken his third PoP, and with that a commanding lead. He is now racking up 4 Prestige/turn. Not only that, but someone has grabbed the Hellfire Ballista, an Artifact i had my eye on.
Spoiler:
I'd issue an insult, but we don't share a border, and he has a pretty powerful Praetor while I have none. A Vendetta would be disastrous for me at this point.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Spoiler:
The plan is in effect, so this turn the ballista is getting attached to my legion and then the other PoP gets taken. That will give me +3 prestige per turn, which isn't too shabby. After that, resource collection! Something might have to be done about Butterknife though...
tgb wrote:Not only that, but someone has grabbed the Hellfire Ballista, an Artifact i had my eye on.
Mwa ha ha ha! :twisted:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Well, my ritual failed. And I don't have enough fire to try again yet. For my orders I'm gathering tribute to try and get some fire, and If I remember correctly, I think I have demanded 2 tribute cards from Butterknife. I hope he forks them over, because I'm not really in much of a position to fight him, but he must be stopped. This will at least slow him down a bit.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks, gents.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

AWS260 wrote:This is a fantastic thread. Thanks, gents.
I can't wait to read the whole thing!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chaz wrote:

me too, that's why I keep up with it, even if I don't feel like I have much to say. But most likely it's just crap. :)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Archinerd wrote:
Chaz wrote:

me too, that's why I keep up with it, even if I don't feel like I have much to say. But most likely it's just crap. :)
You should see all the insults they throw at you. Especially that tgb character.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kelric wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
Chaz wrote:

You should see all the insults they throw at you. Especially that tgb character.
I found the hand drawn caricatures amusing. Thowing in the LOL cats was a stroke of genius!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tgb

Post by tgb »

Everything I posted is true. Especially
Spoiler:
the stuff about Butternut's mom. :P