SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lars

Re: SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by Lars »

M*ther F*cker
Spoiler:
Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Anyhow, here is what's currently going on; I've started a vendetta against the Archinerd, the current leader, to try and chip away at him a bit. I made a demand of him, he refused, so I'm trying to settle it via single combat. The praetor I planned on using is middle of the road, fighting-wise, but I had something up my sleeve! I had a manuscript for Obsidian Skin, which blocks 2d6 points of damage for the remaining combat phases! Great!

So I put it on my guy, and go to set him up for combat. Problem: Obsidian Skin requires 3 orbs to activate! My guy has NONE. What doubly pisses me off about this is that I checked this ability in the manual, and there is NO mention of orbs being required to activate. Needless to say, I'm now EXTREMELY pissed off at the waste of this ability, and with the knowledge that I got into this vendetta because I thought I had this ability to back me up. NOT happy.

On top of that, Zarathud has now made a demand of me of 3 tribute cards. You know what? Fuck him. I'm spending that tribute I would have given to him to buy some more legions. He can bite me. :evil:

Did I mention I love this game? :D
Last edited by Lars on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Furfur is on his way to meet whatever Sraals champion is. He's going for an early kill with Mind Burn in the first slot, then a series of Guarded attacks for the rest of the turns... He's got a good chance of winning this I think. In any case, Sraal is under some pressure as Zarathud has taken this opportunity to make a demand against him too.
Mortis refused my demand, I shouldn't be surprised but I kind of am. I was hoping he would just hand over the 4 cards. Oh well. I've got enough on my plate, so I'm going to let him go for now. Baphomet is likely to claim vendetta on me anyway.

Resources are a little tight for me right now, but I'm going to put a bid in on a cheap Legion who's stats are actually pretty good for how little they cost.

I've changed my mind. I am going to fight Mortis. Single combat style... I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Furfur survives his first fight.
And here's a map!
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Waiting to see which way I'm jumping before telling you all about it. :)
Spoiler:
Mortis is chicken. He failed to send a Praetor to my vendetta. Luckily, that gave me a little prestige boost. I provided some Tribute to Archinerd (not sure that was efficient for him since he has the Tribute bonuses, but he's happy about it for some reason) and demanded that Sraal make me whole.

I need to hook up with a Blood Vassal, ASAP. Or kill someone, that would help at least take my mind off the pain.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Defeat! And I'm confused as to why. Shouldn't Furfut have done a bunch of damage in the final phase of the first round?
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Maybe I just don't get Single combat.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

With that guarded attack, he only would have done one (or, at most, two) damage. Guarded attacks only do one damage per extra skull. Two skulls, one shield = one damage. I don't know if the infernal would have helped or not. It explains the basic damage thing when planning your moves, IIRC.
Spoiler:
Of course I get absolutely no Souls in Tribute. Ugh. My first order is to get some more Tribute, my second order is for a Combat Card for my new Legion, my third Order is transferring a Praetor to my main Legion. I don't think anyone has noticed my build up near Pandemonium. Nobody has really been demanding anything of me or trying to take away my PoPs.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hmmm. The examples in the manual don't say anything about negative skulls in guarded attacks. It may be wrong though.

It still doesn't explain why he didn't do at least 1 point of damage in the final phase either.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Archinerd wrote:hmmm. The examples in the manual don't say anything about negative skulls in guarded attacks. It may be wrong though.
I swear that is how it works in game and that the game screen explains it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Kelric wrote:
Archinerd wrote:hmmm. The examples in the manual don't say anything about negative skulls in guarded attacks. It may be wrong though.
I swear that is how it works in game and that the game screen explains it.
Right you are. 1 skull is negated for each shield assigned. Damn, a painful lesson.
but I still insist that there should have been 1 damage in the last round, right?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Archinerd wrote:Damn, a painful lesson.
but I still insist that there should have been 1 damage in the last round, right?
Not against Luck * 3. Focalor could have blocked 5 skulls in the final round of turn 2 and 3 skills in the final round of turn 1.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote:
Archinerd wrote:Damn, a painful lesson.
Not against Luck * 3. Focalor could have blocked 5 skulls in the final round of turn 2 and 3 skills in the final round of turn 1.
I was under the impression that luck only counted if there was a skull or a shield to add it to. So in this case if there had been a skull or shield in the last slot it would be +3, but since there are none it remains zero. But after reading through the rules it looks like I'm just wrong.
All right, thanks for helping me understand what happened. Looks like luck was on Focalor's side.

EDIT; nevermind. I'm still not happy. Look at the second phase of the first round. Why did Focalor do 3 damage to Furfur? Focalor has Guarded attack 2 skulls, 2 shields + 2 luck for a total of 2 hits (2 skulls - 2 shields + 2 luck = 2). Furfur has 2 skulls + 1 shield so should have blocked 1 hit and received only 1 damage, not 3.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I am going to need to have single combat explained to me again as well.
Guarded attacks only do one damage per extra skull. Two skulls, one shield = one damage.
I often choose guarded attack simply because I have shields lying around all of the time and it sounds like this is a mistake unless I have a very high luck. I'm going to have to go back and relearn a chunk of this stuff. Have they updated the manaul?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Archinerd wrote: EDIT; nevermind. I'm still not happy. Look at the second phase of the first round. Why did Focalor do 3 damage to Furfur? Focalor has Guarded attack 2 skulls, 2 shields + 2 luck for a total of 2 hits (2 skulls - 2 shields + 2 luck = 2). Furfur has 2 skulls + 1 shield so should have blocked 1 hit and received only 1 damage, not 3.
I think that luck can be assigned to either attack or defense depending on what the praetor needs. So in this case Focalor has 2 attack 2 shields 2 luck, and is hit by two attack. He can block the 2 attack with his 2 shields, so he has no need for luck in defense. So the luck is assigned to his attack, which now becomes 2 attack + 2 luck - 1 shield = 3 damage.

I'm still figuring this stuff out too, but I think that's why.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I posted over in Cryptic's forums to try and get this figured out.
http://www.crypticcomet.com/forums/view ... 9&start=10" target="_blank

Whether it's working correctly or not doesn't really matter at this point. Time to move on! :horse:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Alright. I've got my brain around how it works now.
Match up shields block skulls 1 for 1.
If any skulls are assigned, luck is added to their value. Luck is always added to shields even if there are none.
It apppears as though luck was just against me on this one.
And adding a single Skull to a Guarded attack isn't a bad idea at all, so carry on Mortis.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

So.... how about that US / Canada hockey game?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm short a few players turns. I send out reminders when I get home tonight to make sure there was no crazy mistakes.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Since I lost my combat Praetor in the last one, I'm not sending anyone to fight Mortis' Champion. And Baphomet's Legions are beginning to look pretty scary... and since everyone seems to be leaving me along for the moment and fighting wtih Sraal, I'm going to take the opportunity to gather up some resources and buff up my Legions and Stats for the home stretch. We're at 7/15 Conclave tokens right now, so things are going to get very crazy soon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Spoiler:
I've miscalculated. Sraal goes first this turn, and I just started my vendetta with him. I also forgot to boost my Martial, so I can't make the Combat Card I expected to play this turn. It also seems you need an action to remove a Praetor attached to a Legion. Right now I'm a bit stronger, so hopefully I'll win the "combat advantage" if Sraal decides to attack. If not, I'm moving into a better position to strike his reinforcment Legion and try again next turn.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Mortis, can you send me my last turn file please? I need it to be able to play on this computer.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sent again.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The turn file, not the main save. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'll have to get it off the game itself which is at home. I may or may not be able to get home from work for lunch today. I am trying to get out of here for an hour but that may not be possible.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Thanks.
Spoiler:
Mortis moved his Legion to our border, placing it right next to one of my Legions. Seeing as how I don't trust him, I'm attacking Pandemonium a turn or two before I wanted to. My first order is attacking Pandemonium. The second is creating a combat card to try and boost my Stronghold's damage dealing ability and my third is to bid one Darkness more than I have to on a Legion. If I manage to take Pandemonium then I will have all three hexes bordering my Stronghold held by Legions.

This is risky.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kelric wrote:
Spoiler:
Mortis moved his Legion to our border, placing it right next to one of my Legions. Seeing as how I don't trust him, I'm attacking Pandemonium a turn or two before I wanted to. My first order is attacking Pandemonium. The second is creating a combat card to try and boost my Stronghold's damage dealing ability and my third is to bid one Darkness more than I have to on a Legion. If I manage to take Pandemonium then I will have all three hexes bordering my Stronghold held by Legions.

This is risky.
Kelric,
Spoiler:
What are the advantages of holding Pandamonium? (I just read the AAR's and have never actually read the manual.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
If you can hold Pandemonium and your Stronghold for five turns, you win. Check out my starting location. Crap location for doing anything other than taking the capital of Hell. When you attack Pandemonium, you become a heretic and you become the prime target. What I don't know, which is part of what makes this risky, is if 1) I can collect Tribute still, 2) If it becomes chaper or free for the others to demand things of me or try to steal from me and 3) If I can still buy things from the Bazaar. I'm guessing that they don't have to bother declaring Vendetta or anything to directly attack me, as well.

I'm guessing #3 is a no, but I'll find out this turn. If I can, then my Stronghold will be completely protected. My Legions may die, and I may lose, but at least I can put up a fight.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

:twisted: BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

Now I just need to survive...
Spoiler:
So, clearly, I took Pandemonium. Now I need to hold it and my Stronghold for five turns. I have Legions in each of the three spots that touch my Stronghold and by extension, both spots that lead to Pandemonium. I am adding a Combat Card to my weakest Legion and demanding minion Tribute with my other two order spots.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kelric, my understanding is:
Spoiler:
1) Yes
2) You are now a heretic, so they can just attack you. I.e. no need (or ability, I think) to demand anything. I am guessing that stealing stuff still uses the usual deception rituals which are probably still the same price.

3) No, you cannot use the bazaar as a heretic.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Five turns. You might be able to do it. I'm not sure I can muster a force in that time the others are too far away. I didn't think you had enough strength yet. Shows what I know I guess.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

TTIWWOP

Need to see the situation!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
We have a situation.
Enlarge Image
Legion 1:
Enlarge Image
Legion 2:
Enlarge Image
Legion 3:
Enlarge Image

I can get one of my Legions to his Stronghold before time runs out... but once I get there I'm not sure what I can do. I'm sending messages to the others and hope they will work with me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pyperkub wrote:TTIWWOP

Need to see the situation!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Nicely played.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I am a bit worried, but this could work out. We'll see.
Spoiler:
I can't post a screenshot at the moment, but suffice it to say I am in a relatively secure position. Archinerd, Sepiche and Mortis are the only ones (I think) who can get to my units and none of them can bring more than one Legion on the offensive at a time due to my bottleneck position.

I don't think Mortis' Legion can take out my own that he is bordering. Archinerd would take four turns just to get to my weakest Legion, so that might be a problem. Sepiche is about the same, or maybe three turns. I'll be giving it combat cards, of course.

I really wanted to pump it with a Praetor and Artifact, but Mortis made me nervous so I moved earlier than I wanted to. Still, it is a good gamble I think. Even if just for the Hell of it (no pun intended).
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
The Frozenlords are racing towards Kelric's Stronghold. If the others can help clear a path then I can reach it in time. It's a long shot no doubt.
Enlarge Image
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Thanks, Zarathud. Now let us see if it pays off.
Spoiler:
Oh crap! Archinerd's Legion has 3 movement points! He'll get to me a turn sooner than I expected. Crap crap crap.

Creating two combat cards and playing a Ritual to keep Mortis' original troops and his two newly acquired Legions from moving. I hope it works.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Spoiler:
For those of us who can't get troops to Kelric, the trick is going to be doing rituals at the right time. Archinerd has the most to lose -- and an opportunity to act. In the meantime, I'm jockeying for position. I had hopes for a comeback, but there's no chance unless Archinerd stops Kelric but hurts himself badly in the process.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Bump. Damnit, I want Hell all to myself!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Waiting on one turn.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Right now I am praying other overlords know what to do.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Mortis is going to take Pandemonium from you this turn Kelric, you don't have a chance. It's the pit for you buddy!