SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:You bastard! I was looking for an extra "P" for my name and you seem to have beaten me to it!
Well, at least I got something. So far I am the mighty leader on turn 2, rar. But I don't think it's going to stay that way very long. I also don't see much avenue for expansion. But there was one of you worse of than me. I know it wasn't you. I think it was Zarathud but I can't check while at work. It's whomever has the Pandemonium covered by themselves.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:
Sepiche wrote:You bastard! I was looking for an extra "P" for my name and you seem to have beaten me to it!
Well, at least I got something. So far I am the mighty leader on turn 2, rar. But I don't think it's going to stay that way very long. I also don't see much avenue for expansion. But there was one of you worse of than me. I know it wasn't you. I think it was Zarathud but I can't check while at work. It's whomever has the Pandemonium covered by themselves.
Yeah, that would be me. :cry:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Yeah, that would be me. :cry:
In which case I feel both sad for you and fear you most. With little to protect you have much to gain by building for vendettas such.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well and it's important to keep in mind that, quite intentionally, resources are in no way attached to your territory. You could control 2 cantons and still be pulling in more resources than anyone else. I'm starting to think the optimal path to power might be to start slow on purpose and let the early point leaders take everyone's wrath while you slowly build yourself up.

We are only on turn 3 after all. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Spoiler:
Turn 3

As expected I grabbed the place of power. It's only a level 2 PoP unfortunately, but at least it gives me a small advantage and will make sure I'm getting at least some prestige income as we go along. The bad news is it's increasingly looking like I'm going to be cut off from any other places of power. Not a huge deal since I hope to bring those under the control of my crusading legions in due time, but it's always nice to have a level 6 PoP near home you can take partway into the game.

In better news I got a good haul of souls and darkness this turn and put in a solid bid for the +4 tribute item. Assuming I get it my plan in the short term will be to look small and helpless and to grab what land I can while building up a good sized war chest.

Another thing I'm planning on getting soon is a praetor. In another game I'm playing I lost a good dueling praetor when the legion he was attached to perished in flame. In retrospect I think he should have been left safely at my stronghold rather than sent to the field and so this time I plan on keeping him back and training him with a few lucky manuscripts I got during the initial tribute and I'll only deploy him to the field if I have no other choice.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Turn 3 is out.

Sepiche I knew I was going to hate you. That was my Relic.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

And the first insult is away!
Spoiler:
Turn 4

Well I won the auction for the beliit, but it does indeed look like I'm going to be cut off from any other easy PoP grabs. For all his protesting that actually puts me in a slightly weaker starting position than Kel, but I'm still convinced that plays less of a role than most people think.

So back to the good news. Once my infernal engineers finish installing my beliit and with the bonus tribute from my place of power, my tribute roll bonus will have gone from +3 to +9. That's pretty big. Since it's only my tribute roll and not my actual diabolism skill I won't be getting any more cards, but the cards I do get should be of much larger values, and I should get a lot more combo cards and manuscripts. Having larger card values will also have the slight downside of causing me to waste resources occasionally if I can't play the exact value of resource cards I need, but the extra resources in general will far more than make up for that.

I'm also going to go ahead and move my legion around a bit over the next few turns grabbing up some land and getting as close as I can to a couple of PoP for later, but other than that I don't think my legions will be seeing much action for a bit.
LordMortis wrote:Sepiche I knew I was going to hate you. That was my Relic.
I would deny your slanderous accusation, but it does happen to have the wretched trait of being true. And since it will be out for all to see next turn...

I'm sure it will allow you to sleep better knowing that I have been viciously denied access to all but my single, sad place of power however. :)
Last edited by Sepiche on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:And the first insult is away!
I'm aware of that too. I'm feeling like a nose. A nose who can only get one kind of tribute card.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
Archinerd moved towards the Iron Staircase, so I imagine he will take it soon. I at least managed to get my Legion near it and should be able to hold those hexes for later in the game if necessary. Time to start turning around and take over Sandy Face. As I still have practically no resources that will be the other order of the day.

Edit - Wait a minute. I'm the Regent this turn! Just went back to double check my orders before going to sleep and completely missed that the first time around. That means I should be able to take the Staircase if I remember the Regent rules correctly. Sandy Face can wait, this might be worth it.
Last edited by Kelric on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If I could have bid higher, I would have. :( My first wasted action... I am sure of many to come.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Hey! I wanted that mask!
Spoiler:
I kind of wanted it, but I couldn't make a bid on it...

The Bastard! Baphomet will beat me to the iron staircase, even though I'm standing RIGHT next to it. There's nothing I can do... I'm going to go grab the mushrooms before someone finds a way to steal that from me too.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Bring me another minion, this one appears to be dead already...
Spoiler:
My legion is moving to secure my alternate PoP now that Sepiche stuck his head in the noose. I'm also hoping to eventually WIN one of these auctions in the bazaar sometime. Perhaps it's time to increase my Avatar's abilities to scry on my weakest opponent.

I'm falling behind in Prestige, but a Wrathful objective means I'm spoiling for a Vendetta. The fools here will probably eventually bare their throats in supplication, letting me make up the difference. If not, I'll have to beat them into submission...which would also yield tasty Prestige.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lars

Post by Lars »

Turn 4
Spoiler:

Here's what it looks like as of now. My plan to head northeast to either get a path to the Garden of Infernal Delight or take the other PoP didn't work out. On the first turn, Ark-Nerd moved his legion down to a position where he could either cut me off from the Garden, or take the other PoP. Since he moves before me, I didn't want to chance going for one of those 2 things, and lose my turn because Ark-Nerd cut me off. Additionally, if I picked wrong, he would have time to come back and cut me off from my other option as well. So, choose wrongly, and I lose a chance at both PoP, and waste orders doing it. Winning the auction on the other Legion allowed me to adjust my plan on the fly, so I sent both legions towards The Temple of the Damned. With the support from that other legion, I knew I could take that PoP on Turn 3, and give me my first PoP that will also give me +2 prestige per turn, something that no one else has of yet.

So, on Turn 3, I took the Temple with the Blood of Srraal (my starting legion), and moved my Darkwing Legion back towards the other PoP you can see on the west side of the map. This turn, I will be moving the Darkwing Legion where the arrows indicate to get access to it. Duke Zarathud has a legion moving east towards that PoP as well, and will be able to take the canton directly south of it before I can get there. However, he will only have 1 tile open next to it, so he'll need a more powerful legion to take that PoP, as it's a strong one that also gives +2 prestige per turn. I can put myself in position to have 2 cantons claimed next to it, so I could use my 2 legions to take it before Zarathud can. At least, that's my hope.

The only problem with this strategy is that, if I claim both PoP, I will be pulling in +4 Prestige per turn, which is going to paint a giant target on my back. I'll be jumping out to a big lead, and I can expect to have demands and insults thrown my way. I'm the only demon with 2 legions right now, but others will be bought shortly, and I have no Praetor at the moment for any kind of single combat vendettas that I might get involved in. I'll need to pull in some more tribute so I can be in a position to buy a champion if needed.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Sepiche wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Sepiche I knew I was going to hate you. That was my Relic.
I would deny your slanderous accusation, but it does happen to have the wretched trait of being true. And since it will be out for all to see next turn...

I'm sure it will allow you to sleep better knowing that I have been viciously denied access to all but my single, sad place of power however. :)
I'm not going to fall for your pity party, arch-fiend! If you indeed have that artifact (which I will not believe until I see, as we all have forked tongues here), combined with The Unholy Fountain you now have in your grasp, looks like you have a nice +5 bonus to tribute rolls coming to you. I will have my eye on you............

On another note, let me just say that playing against other people is much, MUCH more fun then playing the computer. I find myself pouring over my decisions for much longer then I should, just to make sure I don't make a crucial mistake. I'm glad I could participate in this game, and I'm really looking forward to being able to go back and read all these spoilers after the game has ended. Thanks for playing everyone.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Next turn is out
Spoiler:
For the life of me I can't figure out what my second action would have been on the last turn that wouldn't have reported back to me which suggests I poured over a second action really hard and then didn't check it again before sending out the new turn. I was debating taking a preator or demanding more tribute or picking up the mindburn manuscript. It appears as though I didn't do any of them.

This turn I will be consolidating tribute to raise my Charisma next turn. My goal is still to get one of main preators so I can start worrying about challenges. However, that goal is secondary to increasing my ability genertate more tribute and getting more than two orders.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Just to warn you guys, I'm moving this weekend. In theory cable/internet is being turned on Saturday afternoon. I know I can check at least once this weekend for a turn file as I will have my laptop and can use it at my current residence in between packing boxes into cars.
Lars wrote: I find myself pouring over my decisions for much longer then I should, just to make sure I don't make a crucial mistake.
I already did make a potentially crucial mistake, but it looks like I caught it in time as I went back for one more look at the file before bed. Phew!
Spoiler:
Got that replacement turn file in luckily. Captured myself the Staircase. Now I can turn around to go after Sandy Face and continue getting resources. I'm woefully short of Ichor and Souls.

Lars is doing awfully well for himself so far. At the end of Turn 5 the Prestige ranks are Lars/Srraal 22, Sepiche 21, Archinerd/Ark-Nerd 15, me 15, Mortis 11, Zarathud 10.

Once I capture Sandy Face my goal is to get a Praetor. Then it is sit back, collect resources and try to upgrade my Avatar.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I've made two big mistakes. I bid on an item assuming I would get it at minimum cost because I could bid on it at minimum cost. And I seem to have only put in one order last turn.

I was pouring over multiple orders and must have gone undecided before I went to bed last night. In order to get a turn out today in good time, I just loaded the orders up and processed the turn this morning to send it out. When I look at the turn results I only see one order having gone through.

The game really needs to confirm with you that you want to end your turn without putting all of your orders in. I've made the mistake of hurrying through turns a lot when I was playing single player games and then wondering WTF when then next turn came back without all of my orders.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

"Mortis, you must have been born on the highway because that's where accidents happen." That phrase just gained me a bit of prestige, thanks buddy! :)
Spoiler:
So I didn't have to send in the troops, Mortis accepted the insult +10 prestige. Which is nice as I don't have any other source of prestige. If nobody pulls any funny stuff, the mushrooms will be mine this turn. I'm also buying a rare copy of Mind Burn to teach to Furfur, so I can insult Mortis again in a few turns. He makes a good punching bag, his armies can't reach me, and as far as I know he doesn't have a Praetor yet.

Image It even kind of looks like Furfur... and me too I guess. Horny.Image
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Spoiler:
Turn 5

Nothing much to report. My beliit is safely ensconced in my citadel, my legion is moving about gathering up some more territory, and I am demanding more tribute from my minions. As I mentioned I'll be grabbing a praetor soon, and I also have my eye on an artifact in the bazaar that would nicely round out my legion. It's a scythe that gives a bonus to melee if I recall, but also steals health from enemies during battle.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

When I say burn in Hell, I insist that you wake up and smell the brimstone!
Spoiler:
Sraal is contesting my alternate PoP, the Pillar. If Sraal wants a fight, I will give it to him. I claim the souls of his Darkwing legion, which he snatched away from their rightful contract to me! I have little to loose if I'm in last place, and there are PoPs nearby with +5 Prestige/turn. If I can only claim them...

Sepiche has installed the Beliit artifact in his capital, which with my Fountain gives his treacherous fiend +6 to tribute rolls. Someone will probably start casting rituals to swipe his stuff. I just wish it could be me, as I'm hurting for Ichor and Hellfire to complete my evil schemes.
Last edited by Zarathud on Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Next turn is out
Spoiler:
I continue to move slow. The opportunity to bump up a point of charisma became present so that's what I did. Mindburn got purchases. Ah Well. My current goals are still get a good praetor, raise my intelligence to 4 for the extra order (That's two bumps), Get the +3 deceit resistance relic, and Play a nasty event.)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
Arch took the Garden of Infernal Delights, as expected. Somebody bought a Praetor. I only got one more Ichor, bringing me all the way to two! The minimum Ichor I need for a Praetor right now is 4. My first order is getting more resources. My second order of business is capturing Sandy Face.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Will be one kickin' rabbi
Silly Rabbi, kicks are for trids.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Sorry, I didn't have time to get any pictures for this one, and I'm at work so it's going to be short.
First off, I demanded some tribute (4 cards) from whoever won the auction on that mask, Sepiche i think... he's got +6 on his tribute rolls or something like that... so hopefully he gives me some good stuff. If he doesn't I'll kill his weakling Legion, or maybe grab that fancy fountain of his. By making this demand it also looks like I have less prestige than I do... I'm trying to stay out of first place until after turn 10.

And I can't remember what my second order is. It might be assigning a Praetor to my Legion?

Edit: I remember now. I'm creating a combat card to buff my Legion. +2 range I think. That way if I have to fight Sepiche he'll be reluctant to engage my Legion - as combat cards are a hidden value.
Last edited by Archinerd on Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:
Will be one kickin' rabbi
Silly Rabbi, kicks are for trids.
It's from a Three Day Threshold Christmas song. Don't know if they got it somewhere else.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Spoiler:
Turn 6

First of 15 conclave tokens was drawn this turn. Each turn there's a chance of drawing a token, and once the 15th is drawn the player with the most prestige wins. Makes it so you have a good idea of how far along the game is, but you can't know when it will end specifically.

Got a pretty good haul of resources this turn. Enough that I'm going to go ahead and bid one one of the praetors. At the very beginning of the game in my initial tribute I got lucky and got a couple of decent manuscripts: a manual of defense and piercing lunge. I'm not positive yet I won't wait for a little bit better fighter, but I think I'll go with the guy I'm buying and train him with both of those manuscripts. That should give me a pretty good chance of fending off any duel vendettas that come my way and have a chance of a tournament is called.

A mind burn manuscript was purchased from the bazaar this turn too which means someone else is building a fighter as well.

Kel sent along a offer of truce on our border for now. I haven't decided where I will expand first, but regardless of where I decide to go it won't hurt anything to agree to a truce for now. If I happen to still go through Kel first? What can I say, I'm a fucking demon.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The turn is out
Spoiler:
Bought and Intelligence upgrade to 3. One more gets me my third order.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
A bunch of nasty melee weapons were bought up at the Bazaar this last turn.
I'm gearing up for my possible war with Sepiche. I'm moving my Legion North into Position - his Legion is at the far end of his terrirtory so hopefully I can swoop in and take his fountain before he can defend it. I'm also going to screw him over on the turn order by playing this;
He's expecting to be Regent next turn, but I know something he doesn't :)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I captured Sandy Face, as expected. Archinerd brought a demand against Sepiche. Two weapons got bought up in the bazaar. I really need a Praetor.

I got all Ichor this turn as tribute, jumping me from 2 to 11. Sweet. With that I am going to bid on the best Praetor currently available. She has 10 hit points, only 2 loyalty, but 6 attack, 8 defense and 6 orbs. On top of that she adds 2 Infernal to a legion or PoP and +3 to the Level Roll, plus she prevents the enemy from using combat cards. She'll cost me all 6 of my Souls and 7 of my Ichor. I am also going to add in 1 Darkness, just in case.

My second order is another tribute demand.

Mortis has been awfully quiet. He grabbed the PoP right next to him and has sat silently since then. Everybody else ran a land grab. He has to be building up to something.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Spoiler:
Turn 7

Looks like Archinerd has got something up his sleeve. He demanded 4 tribute from me before the conclave. He only has a small border with me and his only legion isn't anything too special, so my hunch is he might be trying to start personal combat vendetta. Thankfully I won the auction for a praetor last turn, sO I think I'm going to take my chances and turn down his demand. My praetor is nothing too special, but I'm training him with both of the manuscripts I have this turn (I think you can train two manuscripts at the same time... I'm about to find out) and once I do he should have a fair chance of winning, but we'll see.

In case he opts for a war I'm moving my legion back towards our small border and hopefully next turn I'll be able to pull in a little tribute to make sure I have some hellfire for some destruction rituals if I need to. Someone also picked up the scythe last turn along with another artifact, so things are definitely heating up.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Turn is out
Spoiler:
Details to be added...
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Sepiche refused my demand for 4 tribute cards. I'm not surprised. I have elected to claim vendetta, and have given myself 2 turns to take a Place of Power. His Legion is too far away to support the fountain... I just hope he doesn't have any Rituals or special events that could mess up my plans.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If I am the ruler of all I survey, I need a bigger mountain.
Spoiler:
Sepiche refused Ark-Nerd's demands. Maybe Ark-Nerd is bluffing, but I doubt it. My guess is that Ark changed his mind and wants to take my Fountain. It's currently occupied by Sepiche only because he lucked out in the turn order. I don't want to see anyone else have the Fountain, but I do like the idea that Sepiche has to worry about TWO of us. Ark-Nerd is probably weaker in the long run, so he's a perfect patsy if not future victim.

I'm taking the Pillar this turn. Sraal is moving his main legion towards the Pillar, so I can't wait any longer. I've attached a Praetor to my main legion, which will let me take the PoP and start catching up in Prestige. I'm in last place, so hopefully nobody (besides Sraal) views it as too threatening.

Someone played an event that skipped Sepiche's regency, so I'm the regent and drew an event this turn that I really wouldn't want played against me later in the game. Ah, the rewards of someone else's Villany!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

This is fun. Nerve-wracking, but fun.
Spoiler:
Sepiche refused Archinerd's demand. I would guess that means Arch claims Vendetta next turn. Sepiche got skipped as Regent this turn as well. I wonder who did that...

I won my bid for that Praetor. I also got 4 Souls, 3 Flames and a 2 Ichor/1 Flame card for tribute. I could have gone with two Flames for my last tribute card, but I like the increased flexibility of the double card. This brings me to 4 Souls, 6 Ichor, 14 Flames, 7 Darkness. I am third in Prestige right now, behind Sepiche and Srraal/Lars.

I don't like my Event Card (force all players to discard event cards) for the price it costs, so this turn is going to be spent with both orders set to Seek Out Curiosities to try and bolster my Praetor. That will also get me some resources, hopefully allowing me to increase my Avatar Attributes soon. The only way to achieve my public objective (and I don't have a private one right now) is to attack Archinerd and take the Gardens Of Infernal Delights and I am not nearly strong enough to do that. I'm content to try and sit in the middle of the pack for now and bide my time.

I also sent a message asking Mortis if he is willing to keep our Legions away from our shared border. It ultimately means nothing. That still gives us Insults/Rituals and other types of gambits, but at least it may keep open warfare at bay for a while.
Lars

Post by Lars »

Turn 8
Spoiler:

That's my current map situation. The past 3-4 turns were spent collecting some tribute and buying some additions for my legions, which will allow me to take the PoP that you see on the west end of the map. The good Duke has a legion nearby, but it's not powerful enough to take it as of yet.

I wanted to make my default legion more powerful, as I don't like the idea of losing some goodies I've spent good tribute on by committing them to a legion that I could lose from bribery, so let's take a look at my default legion:

As you can see, they have a high melee value, so I'm going to concentrate on praetors and artifacts that emphasize that attribute. Luckily, I found just such an artifact AND praetor to help me make the Blood of Srraal a formidable fighting force.

When I attach these two to my legion, they will have a melee attribute of 11, AND melee will go first in the rounds of combat. (If you are not aware, a fight between 2 legions goes ranged first, melee second, then infernal last) Thanks to this Praetor, melee will be the first round of combat. What makes that very important for me is what the Rod of Pain does; there is a chance to lower all the enemies attributes by a d6 roll during the rest of the combat, as long as I do melee damage to the target! That makes a fight with my Blood a risky proposition for others.

But of course, what happens after I buy this artifact? A very powerful artifact shows up on the bazaar:

That object is going to be a very popular item, and my funds are quite depleted from my recent purchases. Why so popular? It TRIPLES the positive attributes that a praetor bestows upon the legion that it's attached to. Some praetors give bonuses such as +3 to both melee and ranged; a praetor like that combined with this artifact can make a legion immensely powerful. I'd love to get my hands on it, but it's not promising for me at the moment.

So, my short turn plans are: spend the next couple turns getting tribute, and attaching the praetor and the rod to my Blood of Srraal, then take the next PoP. I'm going to delay taking the PoP until after turn 10. The reason for the wait is that turn 10 is the last turn you can set your threat list for free, which affects how much it costs to cast rituals against other players. I don't want to make myself anymore of a target then I have to, so waiting will hopefully get me lower on some of these player's threat lists. If I happen to get enough tribute to take a shot at the Throne, I'm going to have to take it, but I have a feeling it will be gone next turn or the turn after that. After the PoP is taken, I'm going to spend some time preparing for people attempting to call vendettas against me, as having +4 Prestige coming in per turn will make me a target. So, that means trying to get a good praetor for single combats, and improving/increasing my legions. Additionally, I'll want to decide which attribute tree to go up, as getting an extra order is important, and I'll need resources to do that. We shall see what the next turns show.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When I got home yesterday to check if all the orders were in I came home to a dead machine. It looks like we had some sort of major clusterfuck in my neighborhood. There were Edison trucks working on power lines every where and there were people out replacing traffic lights and lord knows what else going on.

The short of the story is that my MoBo got fried either from overloading the power strip or coming up the non protected network line. I'm not sure what I am doing to replace the machine yet. I hope to make a decision today but I have to go budget (having just sunk all my money in to my car) and the need to go budget may see not getting a computer right away. If I do something like order through Dell it will be well after the New Year before the machine arrives.

I will keep you up to date but the game has to go hiatus until I get a new machine and rip everything off the old one and reset up SI. Sorry.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This makes me sad. Best of luck getting everything back in order.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Yikes, that sucks.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Ouch, that really sucks man.

I'm fine waiting and hoping we can pick this game up later, but I also wouldn't mind starting up a new game if everyone is interested and we can get 6th player.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd even love to be that 6th player. :( I am just waiting to hear back from my rep at Dell. I should be placing the order today but I see no way that the computer will be here before New year. :( I was really looking forward to getting in some time on this over the holidays too.

But maybe having some computer withdraw to bring me in to the new year will be a good thing.