SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lars

Re: SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by Lars »

Ouch, Lordmortis, sorry to hear about the computer. I'll be more then happy to continue the game once you get everything sorted out.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sepiche wrote:Ouch, that really sucks man.

I'm fine waiting and hoping we can pick this game up later, but I also wouldn't mind starting up a new game if everyone is interested and we can get 6th player.
I'm up for another one I guess. It looks like 3 out of my 4 games are delayed anyway. I probably should use the time to do something productive, but this is more fun.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Satan must have uncovered my master plan to take over Hell. Curses!

I'm ok with starting another game, but not a good person to host.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Archinerd wrote:
Sepiche wrote:Ouch, that really sucks man.

I'm fine waiting and hoping we can pick this game up later, but I also wouldn't mind starting up a new game if everyone is interested and we can get 6th player.
I'm up for another one I guess. It looks like 3 out of my 4 games are delayed anyway. I probably should use the time to do something productive, but this is more fun.
I feel terrible. I'm going to see about borrowing a company laptop and will see if I can get the game set up there temporarily while I wait on a new system. There is no maximum loads for this game is there? I can jump it from one machine to another to another... I hope.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Unlimited installs - as there should be in every game.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Work says I can have loaner laptop. We'll see if what's up and I'll let you know.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am back online. However, one of the TRN files sent to me is wrong. Hope to be back and running with ally'all shortly.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LordMortis wrote:I am back online. However, one of the TRN files sent to me is wrong. Hope to be back and running with ally'all shortly.
It's me, but I've hopefully fixed it.
Sorry for the delay. Also, I may be a bit spotty getting in turns until Monday/Tuesday. I should be able to get away from everyone to get turns in, but I may not...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Game is back on. Sorry for taking so long to get a new machine in place.
Spoiler:
I continue to do nothing. I'm thinking a change avatar may be in order for future games. All I do is pull in resources and have them not mean anything.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

yes, we are back on!
Now, was I able to remember what it was I was doing, or will I be floundering about looking for my misplaced Orb of Oblivion?
Spoiler:
Actually, it's pretty easy what I'm doing. I have vendetta against Sepiche and am going to grab his Fountain before he can do anything about it. Zarathud has also sent me a message asking/threatening me not to expand North of the Fountain. I will comply for now, as I don't want to have a bunch of territory up there that is hard for me to defend.

I still don't have quite enough resources to grab the Great Horn of Doom from the bazaar yet, so I'm going to get some more tribute from my minions this turn...

other than that, I'll try to lay low for a bit until we are beyond turn 10.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Nothing like the smell of brimstone in the morning! Time to bring home some bacon, kiddies!
Spoiler:
I've taken the Pillar. Conquering a Place of Power (PoP) results in the attacking Legion being placed in a nearby hex, which led to my Legion overshooting its target and will delay me a turn heading back to my Stronghold. Still, that move earned me enough Prestige to get back into the game (up to 20 from 10), but I'm still far behind the leaders (Sepiche at 32 +1/turn, Sraal at 30 +2/turn, and Baphomet at 26 +2/turn). Running out of Prestige is a Bad Thing, and basically shuts you out of diplomacy...er, backstabbing...and into a death spiral. In single player, at least 1 or 2 AIs seem to fall into this trap each game. Whatever else happens this turn, I've managed to avoid that ignomius end for a while, at least.

I'm happy to see Ark-Nerd gambling on taking the Fountain. It deprives Sepiche of his only Prestige-generating PoP. It's a bold move by Ark-Nerd, who looks like he's behind with 11 Prestige but actually sitting on 30 points if he can hold the Garden of Infernal Delights to satisfy his Public Goal. Ark-Nerd will win a bunch of Prestige back from taking the Fountain, and have a sudden pop after the last chance at free adjustments to Threat levels. If I didn't have other plans and the desire to see Sepiche hobbled now, I would feel threatened. But I have plans of my own for the moment....
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I have to go back and read my posts to remember what I was going to do next.

Edit - I just Quoted my plan instead of Spoilering it. :doh:
Spoiler:
I got Infernal Promotion as a new event card this turn. It gives a Legion of my a 'super promotion' so that is nice to have in the bank. Costs 3 Souls/Ichor/Flames however. There are some Relics I would like to bid on but I don't have enough Souls. I do have just enough to bump my Cunning to level 3, allowing me to start stealing. I'm going to do that and collect some more Tribute.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

And another turn has come and gone...
Spoiler:
So much for keeping a low profile. My Vendetta against Sepiche went well. I gained 23 prestige giving me a grand total of 45 I think, putting me in the lead.

For this turn I've decided to try and acquire another horn for my collection:

And since that will take all of my hellfire and most of my souls, I'm going to raise some more tribute. My new Fountain that Sepiche has gifted me also gives me a +2 to my tribute rolls, so I'm expecting some good things.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've got 4 of my turn 10's back. I'm still waiting on the 5th. I'm not sure of the time so I sent PM.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

That was my fault. I didn't realize there was another turn so quick after I posted my last one. Just figured we were waiting around.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Turn 11 is out. I am still not starting the evil. :( Next game I change my avatar.
Spoiler:
I am still just collection resources. It's slow and painful.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I need Soooouuullllssss.... :grund:
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LordMortis wrote:Turn 11 is out. I am still not starting the evil. :( Next game I change my avatar.
Spoiler:
I am still just collection resources. It's slow and painful.
Diabolical.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

"Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and shit... and Jack just left town."
Spoiler:
Someone took the Great Horn of Doom and a second Convocation Token was drawn...taking us one step closer to the end game (2/15).

I'm a turn away from taking my second PoP because my Legion needs to shuffle back to my Stronghold from my shared border with Sraal. I'm wasting valuable orders, but it was the only way to ensure controlling two PoPs with a +3 Prestige/turn. Once I take it, I should know what's happening between Ark-Nerd and Sepiche. And whether I'll be bringing my Wrath to the Fountaion or another PoP -- or boosting my stats instead.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

turn 11 is out. Still waiting to be able to do something evil.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:turn 11 is out. Still waiting to be able to do something evil.
You've been evil from the beginning!
Spoiler:
Ark and Sepiche have been going back and forth for a bit. Someone bought the Throne Of Skulls.

I have 7 Souls, 15 Ichor, 18 Flames and 16 Darkness. More resource collection for me.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

And now my secret plans are coming to fruition... :twisted:
Spoiler:
Well. I won the bid for the Horn last turn.
Also, Sepiche made a demand of me, 3 tribute. I let him take them... I wasn't using them anyway. He can pester me again in 2 turns though, if he does, I'll be ready.

This turn I'm saving up for a Praetor to attach to my Legion, hopefully one with horns but we'll see what's in the bazaar when I have enough souls.
Also, I'm going to start creating some combat cards for my Legion and POP to throw off my enemies, make them second guess themselves and all that. I'm in the lead for the time being, but I'm not going to make any more big moves for a bit... you know, the whole laying low thing.
Last edited by Archinerd on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Say hello to my little friends...
Spoiler:
While Ark-Nerd and Sepiche gear up for mutual annihilation at the Unholy Fountain, I'm nabbing my second PoP. My guess is that Sepiche advances to form up next to the Fountain. The situation room shows an interesting clash forming:

My flesh-devouring hellhounds drool at the thought of consuming the weakened victor -- if I can guess the winner correctly and they desire to risk a confrontation. Mmmm. The exquisite opportunity of foes fighting on my doorstep is so very delicious.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sent the turn out before running to work this morning. Didn't actually take the time to look at what happened. With any luck I might actually do something this turn... or not...
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I don't really know the subtleties in SI yet well enough to decide whether or not to go all Vendetta on somebody. And this turn I wanted to buy the Alien God In A Bottle but someone beat me to it overnight. For lack of anything else to do I am going to play my event to give my Legion a 'super promotion.' I am also going to consolidate my Tribute so that next turn I can upgrade my Cunning to 4 and get that +1 Order slot.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
So, I put a bid in on a Praetor. And he kind of meets my requirement that he has horns.

And now I'm out of some Souls and Ichor, so I'm gathering more tribute. I also have a healthy lead at this point, and am anticipating becoming the target of several demands in the near future. Best to stock up so I can divert at least a few of them.
Edit:
Spoiler:
The next turn is out. Thammuz is mine. He's on his way to lead my Legion at this moment. Sepiche is building up his Legions to attack me, I see him moving them into position. I am gathering my resources to destroy him...

Also, I must keep an eye on Zarathud. He is gaining 4 prestige each turn without lifting a finger. If he starts making demands and flinging insults, he could close that gap quickly.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Let's get it on.
Spoiler:
I've taken my second Place of Power and plan to catch up in Prestige while taking a breather getting ready for my next move. Slow and steady for a bit will give me some cushion if that fails.

How long will it take Ark-Nerd and Sepiche to attack each other? I have the popcorn and want to see blood flow!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I'm not going to win this game. Right now Archinerd has 57 Prestige, Zarathud 42, Lars 40, me 36, Sepiche 23, Mortis 22.

With Sepiche and Archinerd looking like they are going to fight, I'm going to start positioning myself to gun for Arch as well. My Legion currently rates 11 Ranged, 7 Melee, 5 Infernal. Nothing Arch has, as far as I know, can stand up to that. I am increasing my Cunning to 4, which will give me an extra Order slot. I am also going to gather resources. Once I can run three orders in a turn I will start moving my Legion towards the border.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Speiche is asking for more handouts just as I suspected. Also, someone has played an event that requires me to hand over 4 tribute or lose prestige.
I decided to do that, but Sepiche is going to have to fight me. I'm ready.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
Got my Cunning up to Level 4, so now I have that extra Order slot and can steal more things. Unfortunately, we all now have to donate 4 Tribute cards to fill the Vault of Greed. Blech. That loses me one Ichor and 4 Flames (I had to donate a 2 Flame card). With the tribute I got this turn I am at 4 Souls, 11 Ichor, 17 Flames, 6 Darkness.

I'm Regent this turn and my Event is Infernal Entitlement. All ranks of Baron (my rank) and below get an extra Tribute card to choose from for 3 to 6 turns, all those who are Marquis or higher get one less. With my extra order slot I will be playing this this turn, especially since it costs me nothing to play.

I'm sending a message to Sepiche that I will be trying to help him against Archinerd. And I'll be doing that by insulting Arch next turn.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
I am spending this turn preparing for my fight with Sepiche.

I'm also buying a new weapon for my Legion. I probably won't have time to equip it before the big battle, but It will help deter him in the future.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I got a chance to get 1/3rd of a Manuscript in my Tribute this turn but declined it to instead rack up 7 Souls. One of my Orders is moving my Legion, another is Insulting Archinerd. A third is going to buying the Lance Of The Leper King, which will add +3 Melee and some other possible damage. As it costs 6 Souls and 7 Flames (which I have plenty of) I'm extra glad I took the 7 Souls in Tribute earlier this turn. With all of the Flames I have I am going to bid two extra, which I have to do anyways since I only have 3 Flame cards (each card worth 3 Flames, I mean) right now.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

War, war never changes...
Spoiler:
So, Sepiche has claimed vendetta. I am using my first action to destroy one of his Legions, The Shades of Tartarus.
Another problem has arisen as well though. First Baphomet has outbid me on the Lance of Leper King. I'm not too disappointed, but I did want it - besides it didn't have horns. To add insult (quite literally) to injury, Baphomet has insulted me in front of the Conclave. What nerve! If I accept it, I will lose a measly 4 prestige... but I would rather take this opportunity to teach him a lesson. Furfur is going to be learning a new attack, Mind Burn to prepare for his upcoming battle with whatever champion Baphomet can get his hands on. It's a risk, but I think it's worth it. I'd like to have the best Praetor, and the best way for him to get better is to win fights.

+also, as a side note someone played an event which cancels all prestige from places of power for the next 5 turns. I'm fine with that.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
I won the Lance of the Leper King. In case it comes down to a duel I am bidding on a second Praetor. I don't have much faith in my initial guy but I would rather lose one and have a second than be completely screwed. My other order is going to be for Tribute.
Last edited by Kelric on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
I killed Sepiche's Legion as planned. :twisted:
He can still grab the Fountain from me with his remaining Legion, but if he does they will be killed by my Legion. As much as I would like to kill both of his Legions, I would rather he lets me keep the Fountain.

In other news, it looks like Baphomet is going to bring Elephant man to the party to fight for him. It's going to be a tough fight, Elephant man is the best unmodified combat Praetor there is, and I also made a miscalculation. Mind burn requires 4 orbs, Furfur only has 3 so won't be able to use it. :evil: Too late though, I'm committed, let's hope the dice are in my favor. And if you refuse to hope in my favor, I'll hunt you down, cut you open and feed your entrails to my goat minions.

Here's the event log from my perspective.

Also, note to self, don't get into a fight with Baphomet's Legion anytime soon.

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Spoiler:
Crap, I lost my bid on Temeluchas. Zarathud took him right out from under me at the worst possible time. That puts him in a terrific position going forward.

I have two turns to pick a champion. so I am bidding on Abraxas. I was going to try stealing/bribing Temeluchas from Zarathud but the game won't let me. I then went to target Arch's Praetor but I don't have enough Souls to do so. More crap. So, I will demand more Tribute and try to pull something off next turn.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

:horse:
Spoiler:
So, both of my Vendettas are going along very nicely. In fact, I won the one against Baphomet. He didn't have Elephant man after all, or if he did, he didn't use him. Instead this is who showed up. Furfur made short work of her too.
Furfur managed to learn some secrets to Infernal magic during the battle, so next time he can use his Mind Burn ability as his Infernal skill is now adequate.

Against Sepiche things are going amusingly. He managed to take the Fountain from me this turn, but I took it right back... but my Legion is cut off from my main territory now. So I'm going to order the Legion to move through the Fountain again and end up in the empty hex that will reconnect my lands. Depending on how things play out my Legion may be stranded there anyway.

Here's the map showing the positions of Sepiche's Legions and my own -his are the dude's in the robes.
If you look close, you can see the arrows that show how I plan to move my Legion.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
I bounced Sepiche out of my Fountain yet again. It looks like he's trying to sneak one of his Legions down to take the Infernal Gardens from me now... I can't allow that.
Here's a picture with red arrows drawn on it;
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Waiting on the next turn. :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric had an issue with his email. I apparently didn't get his turn until 02:00. I didn't get up early enough to check in before work, so the new turn will go out tonight when I get home.
Spoiler:
My game continues to go slow, but fortuitously I stumbled upon the alter of Gluttony. People are gonna be pissed. And I am doing my first deed of evil this game, a mere 21 turns in