SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: SI PBEM Game 2 AAR

Post by Zarathud »

Spoiler:
The issue is whether to attack this turn or next. I can spend a turn clearing out the defenders, but Archinerd is roaring in as the unwanted cavalry. The real problem is the unknown combat cards and the possibility of getting hit by a ritual:

Enlarge Image
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:So what did you do?
I attacked your old home and tried to move back in position to put up a full blockade to the pandamonium. However, when trying to move back to my original spot, the game elected to move to a totally different spot, completely opening the way in on an easier path then cutting through your town. And now I know that you can't attack a space and control your move afterward... Now that it just cost me a game. :(
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LordMortis wrote:pandamonium
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandamonium_(TV_series" target="_blank)

Who can forget "Form of Pappapanda!" and the one time the slow one said "Form of Mamma Moose!" Good times.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It all comes down to this... For me anyway. Kneel before the mighty Mortis. Back off and I may let your suffering be small. Concede or PAIN!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LordMortis wrote:It all comes down to this... For me anyway. Kneel before the mighty Mortis. Back off and I may let your suffering be small. Concede or PAIN!
Death or Glory.
Anyway, here's the situation as I see it...
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
That's whats left of Mortis' grand armee in the middle. Zarathud and I have been chipping away at them the past 2 turns. We both have a shot at his Stronghold now too. Zarathud is Regent this turn, so he's going first. Followed by Mortis, then me. From what is known, Zarathuds Legion is probably strong enough to take out Mortis' stronghold, but there are 3 combat cards on it, so who knows. I'm going to assume Zarathud isn't taking it this turn, and will instead weaken it by killing another Legion. That leaves it up to me to take it... so I will.
Oh shit. I just realized as I was typing this. Zarathud may have delayed his attack until after I strike and weaken it for him. ugh. Well, if that's how its going to be, then at least Mortis will be out. And barring anymore traitors, I am well in the lead and have a very good chance of winning through prestige.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The abyss is cold and black. Luckily I can use the quicksilver theme to brighten things up during my eons of nothingness.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

However this turns out, this turn is why Solium Infernum is an incredible PBEM game -- I could AGONIZE over this decision for days!
Spoiler:
Do or do not. There is no try.

The Situation:

The Reasons to Do: Ark-nerd is in the lead and I must not allow him to take a second player's Stronghold. Taking out Mortis myself satisfies my Wrath objective and nets me the +30 Prestige to offset his Lust objective. I move first -- so by acting immediately, Mortis can't counter with the delaying Ritual he's been casting at me for the last 3-4 turns. Eventually, he's going to get lucky -- and I'm out of time. If I do nothing and let Mortis win, I still finish 3rd behind Ark-nerd.

The Reasons to Do Not: The unknown of THREE combat modifier cards. If Mortis has any kind of Combat ability, those could eliminate ALL of my main Legion's advantages and inflict serious pain, if not death. Either way, Ark-nerd takes him out over my dead corpse. Death opens me up to get juiced for Prestige by Mortis and Sraal. I finish 3rd behind my other archenemy Sraal.

Running the Numbers:

Stronghold of Mortis:
Ranged: 6
Melee: 5+6 = 11
Infernal: 7+1 = 8
HP: 11
(+ Unknown Combat Modifiers x3)

My Disciples:
Ranged: 11 (x2 damage)
Melee: 13 (vampiric)
Infernal: 6 (perma-death)
HP: 8

So, by attacking first I would be gambling that the hidden combat cards give less than 5 Ranged Bonus, 2 Melee bonus or 2 Infernal bonus -- and that I'm not getting screwed by the fickleness of Combat Advantage. But if I do get through, I can defeat the Stronghold with 1/2 the Ranged advantage (since I do x2 damage in Ranged) or at least survive if I have some Melee advantage (since I heal in Melee).
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Zarathud:
Spoiler:
That is one scary Legion. Too bad the HP is that low for it, if it had a 15 HP like I've seen some Infernal Crusade survivors get... yikes!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

the suspense is killing me!
Lars

Post by Lars »

FINISH HIM!

:D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Killing you? Although I suspense is keeping me alive. :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:shock:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

LordMortis wrote::shock:
:shock: :shock:
I blame Zarathud.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I blame me, too. :doh:

I must have engaged Mortis' legion instead of moving to his Stronghold -- not sure if I clicked the wrong square or stopped moving after engaging his Legion. Whatever happened, it did in Phase 1 of the turn when I moved to attack the Stronghold.

How bad were the Combat Cards? It may have been moot anyway -- see my analysis of the situation in the above spoiler.

However, I am consoled by having screwed over Archinerd as much as myself. :P
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Another fun game.
Congrats Mortis.
Sorry I beat up on you so bad in the beginning Sepiche.

No I'm not. :twisted:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Oh, and I can tell you what the combat cards were. The Frozen Lords met a messy end, Here's the battle.
I'm not sure what "skip first range attack" means, but whatever it is, it wasn't good for me.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

And how did you get your Legion over there Zarathud?
Enlarge Image
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

So.... Mortis won?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote:I must have engaged Mortis' legion instead of moving to his Stronghold -- not sure if I clicked the wrong square or stopped moving after engaging his Legion. Whatever happened, it did in Phase 1 of the turn when I moved to attack the Stronghold.
That seems to happen. I am not sure why you don't seem to control where you go after an attack and I never remember to count on my final location after an attack, hence screwing up my own position after taking Kelric's home.
How bad were the Combat Cards? It may have been moot anyway -- see my analysis of the situation in the above spoiler.
As bad as a level 5 wrath combat card gets.

I think they were skip the first round of combat of each combat (ranged, melee, and inferno), +20 range, +5 melee, +5 inferno but I don't remember for sure.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:So.... Mortis won?
Yeah, I think a miscommunication happened for double teaming my home on the last turn.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Archinerd wrote:Another fun game.
Congrats Mortis.
Sorry I beat up on you so bad in the beginning Sepiche.

No I'm not. :twisted:
hehe No worries man, that's the nature of the beast so to speak. :P You certainly did a good job at knocking me out of contention early though.

Good game all around everyone... that really came down to the wire.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I wish I had realized that my Stronghold was more important than Pandaville, but alas. That was a fun game.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think we're all still learning a tremendous amount about how the multiplayer game works. That's part of the fun.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

LordMortis wrote:I think we're all still learning a tremendous amount about how the multiplayer game works. That's part of the fun.
I haven't played a single player game in weeks, so this is all I've got.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't touched the single player since we started playing multiplayer. The computer AI just isn't any fun. I should use single player to brush up on my understanding but I just don't seem to be able to not take advantage of AI predictablity which makes for a boring game.
Lars

Post by Lars »

I had a fun time with the game, everyone, thanks for participating. I'm ready for the next one! :wink:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote:+20 range
:shock:
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's great but it's only good for one combat. That's why I figured I was done.

I could not prepare for a two army assault on my home as quickly as the troops could bare on my home.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Holly crap! My analysis of the situation was spoilered:
So, by attacking first I would be gambling that the hidden combat cards give less than 5 Ranged Bonus, 2 Melee bonus or 2 Infernal bonus -- and that I'm not getting screwed by the fickleness of Combat Advantage. But if I do get through, I can defeat the Stronghold with 1/2 the Ranged advantage (since I do x2 damage in Ranged) or at least survive if I have some Melee advantage (since I heal in Melee).
Less than 5 Ranged Bonus....hahaha....I should have let Archinerd attack first! At least this way I have my minions around to console me on the loss.