Men of Valor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Orpheo

Men of Valor

Post by Orpheo »

There seems to be a strange lack of buzz for this game. I've barely seen any previews, no posts, and it comes out in just a few days. I'm not a HUGE fan of Medal of Honor or Call of Duty, but they are fairly fun for a single runthrough, and I know a lot of other people really love them. So what's the deal with Men of Valor? It's the same game in Vietnam, why does nobody care?
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Wow, I didn't know this was coming out so soon. I am planning on getting it but I haven't heard to much about it either.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Any further news on this? I read one positive review, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz about it. It's on sale at Bestbuy this week. Wanted to see some thoughts to see whether it was worthwhile.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I picked it up due to the Best Buy sale, and because I'm a big war shooter fan.

I'm only a few missions in, and it's good. Hasn't blown me away, but I've enjoyed it more than Vietcong for some reason. The graphics are decent, and it utilizes the simplistic Medal of Honor gameplay (lots of health packs, most of them looted off fallen soldiers).

The one thing that's going to turn some people off is the lack of a save anywhere option - they utilize checkpoints. That's something I don't mind if it's done well, but this game just falls short of doing it well. I've had to replay stretches of game that were a bit too long for my tastes, particularly with the haphazard ways in which you can lose health. Sometimes you can go through a mission only getting nicked here and there. Other times you can go through the same mission, take one good shot to the head, and be completely wiped out in seconds. It's more forgiving than Vietcong, but make no mistake - you can still die fast.

The missions so far have been well done, gradually pulling you deeper and deeper into the war. There are opening cutscenes between missions (that I haven't figured out how to skip - REALLY annoying when you're replaying a sequence for the third or fourth time). However, they serve to set the tone and immerse you in the story.

In summary, my initial impression has been right in line with the GameSpot review - a high 7. It's good, it's fun, but it's not a breakout title like Call of Duty or the original PC Medal of Honor.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Thanks Yellowking! Great synopsis.