Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Matrix

Re: Star Craft 2 - Beta

Post by Matrix »

Yes, you have my permission. Including all the details. :P
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

tjg_marantz wrote:Are we allowed to discuss it or not?
It depends, are you in it? If you are i want to know all about it. If you aren't what do they care?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Arcanis wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Are we allowed to discuss it or not?
It depends, are you in it? If you are i want to know all about it. If you aren't what do they care?
I am pretty sure there is NDA, and breaking it could spell a lot of problems.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Hadn't thought of the NDA thing (not that I signed anything). But you're probably right, better be safe than sorry.

Is sorry, nevermind, going to cut it?
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Wow, that's mean.

But if you didn't sign/agree to anything, go ahead and give impression.

Please.
:wub:
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I know I've seen replays of full games available on various video sites and posts on various game blogs. If this is NDAed, nobody's adhering to it.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

tjg_marantz wrote:Hadn't thought of the NDA thing (not that I signed anything). But you're probably right, better be safe than sorry.

Is sorry, nevermind, going to cut it?
ignore him :wink:

you can tell us it is just between you me and the bots that crawl this forum. No one ever has to know :ninja:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
whispa

Post by whispa »

theohall

Post by theohall »

So start impressioning us.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

:pop: :pop:
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Amazing that I played SCII without any apparent "missing" pieces at GenCon in 07. Almost three years ago...
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Appaz

Post by Appaz »

It's fun.
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

SpaceLord wrote:Amazing that I played SCII without any apparent "missing" pieces at GenCon in 07. Almost three years ago...
You'd think that but the changes that have been going on have been huge (from a competitve standpoint, I don't really care if they nerf somethings dps by 5).

But seriously since the first showings years ago there has been a vast amount of units removed or changed, aswell as new ones added. Trust me they haven't just been sitting on their asses.

Also there is definatly no NDA, frankly I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion here
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Do the units in the game all have like 3 abilities each, as in WCIII? I always hated that about WCIII - every battle you have to run around clicking on units to activate whatever stupid little thing they did. Made it more of a clickfest, like people were always accusing RTS games of being.
Black Lives Matter.
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

El Guapo wrote:Do the units in the game all have like 3 abilities each, as in WCIII? I always hated that about WCIII - every battle you have to run around clicking on units to activate whatever stupid little thing they did. Made it more of a clickfest, like people were always accusing RTS games of being.
Man if you don't like clicking why are you even thinking about Starcraft? :doh:

It's one of the most micromanagement heavy games there is. Hell your not even allowed compete with the pro's until your APM (Actions per Minute) are over 300 :shock:
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

McKnight wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Do the units in the game all have like 3 abilities each, as in WCIII? I always hated that about WCIII - every battle you have to run around clicking on units to activate whatever stupid little thing they did. Made it more of a clickfest, like people were always accusing RTS games of being.

It's one of the most micromanagement heavy games there is. Hell your not even allowed compete with the pro's until your APM (Actions per Minute) are over 300 :shock:
I think it is the case wuth most RTS, starcraft is particularlt heavy. And yes if clicking is his problem, SC is probably not his game. It all comes down to short cuts. Right now what i dont like about Supreme commander is keyboard keys i binded and shortcuts suck. I am pretty sure SC2 wont have that problem.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

McKnight wrote:Hell your not even allowed compete with the pro's until your APM (Actions per Minute) are over 300 :shock:
Wait....5 actions every second?

What exactly constitutes an action?
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

fap
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tjg_marantz wrote:fap
*giggle*
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

McKnight wrote:

Who the hell wants to compete with pros? I just want to be able to get past the single player campaign without turning the speed to "ultra slow", or maybe get in a 2on2 game with a couple of friends without getting my carpal tunnel syndrome flaring up.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's being discussed on GT including various changes that are being made over time.

So spill!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

Little Raven wrote:
McKnight wrote:Hell your not even allowed compete with the pro's until your APM (Actions per Minute) are over 300 :shock:
Wait....5 actions every second?

What exactly constitutes an action?
I know thats what this was for :shock: anything constitutes an action either clicking with keyboard or mouse (although if you watch replays you'll see that they will often click far more then neccesary, etc but whatever, different topic completely, I digress). SC 2 even has an APM counter in the replays, they really are trying to cater for the competitve crowd.

Actually playing Starcraft 2 casually shouldn't be anymore stressful then any other RTS, you can scale the single-player AI to whatever level you feel like playing. Although its set permenantly to baby mode atm in the Beta, unfortunatly. Just as long as people who are getting this game understand micro-management will be involved. IMO if you can play DoW well you can play Starcraft 2.

*Would like to point out I gave my Beta key to a friend after an unfortunate incident involving a newphew, a broken cooler fan and a PSU going on fire :shock: so all I know is 2nd hand info
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I certainly don't have an opposition to clicking, and I have played RTS's back to the original C&C. The thing is this: in Starcraft 1, you have your zealots & dragoons, say, forming the core of your army. They don't do anything special other than attack the enemy. Then you have a couple "spellcasting units" - templar, arbiters, etc. So fighting the enemy is mostly positioning - getting your guys into the right spot to ambush an enemy, something like that. Once the fighting starts, you might click on a templar to psi-storm them, but mostly you're just maneuvering and supervising.

Then WCIII comes along. Now every schmuck in your army has like 3 abilities - some powerup, some "zap spellcaster" ability, some "enhance 1 dude in your forces", etc. Now during the battle you have to click on grunt #1 to cast his spell, then assface #2 to cast his spell targeting enemy spellcaster #3...

It's not the end of the world, it's just annoying. I want a couple spellcaster units and the occasional ability on one dude or another, and that's it.
Black Lives Matter.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Although its set permenantly to baby mode atm in the Beta, unfortunatly.
FYI, people have already played with the settings and released harder AI.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

tjg_marantz wrote:FYI, people have already played with the settings and released harder AI.
Ah I see, I didn't know that, sorry. Like I said most of my info is 2nd hand, I don't think my friend has been doing much comp-stomping to notice this. Will have to ping him about it later
OpticFreeze

Post by OpticFreeze »

Looks yummy.....
"No poor son of a bitch ever won a war by dying for his country...he won the war by making the poor son of a bitch die for his." --- General George Patton
DarkVulgar

Post by DarkVulgar »

Roll back your video drivers if you installed the new Nvidia drivers released last week. There is a bug with the fan control software that "might" cause the video card to overheat. It effects SC2 beta, WoW, and WC3. Saw the this posted over at bluesnews.
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

So is anyone here in the Beta? Thread seems pretty quiet but there was a new set of keys sent out a day or two ago so I thought I'd bump this.

Anyone playing in the EU I'm mcknight.mcknight if you want someone to play/practice with.
T

Post by T »

Unfortunately, still no key for me. They said they will be adding a lot more beta testers, so hopefully soon.
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

T wrote:Unfortunately, still no key for me. They said they will be adding a lot more beta testers, so hopefully soon.
There was just a huge wave of keys sent out again, although I think it might have been mainly Blizzcon people. Hopefully they will add more again but their aim is for 10,000 concurrent users and before this wave they had ~9,000.
T

Post by T »

McKnight wrote:
T wrote:Unfortunately, still no key for me. They said they will be adding a lot more beta testers, so hopefully soon.
There was just a huge wave of keys sent out again, although I think it might have been mainly Blizzcon people. Hopefully they will add more again but their aim is for 10,000 concurrent users and before this wave they had ~9,000.
I wasn't in this wave either. I hear the release is delayed until the fall too. So, if you don't get into the beta, it will be awhile before you get to play.
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

Ugh laptops broken. Anyone who wants to use my Beta account for a couple of days/weeks, until I manage to buy myself a new comp, just Pm me and I'll sort you out.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got in yesterday! I was pretty much astounded as besides WoW (which was practically public beta by the time I got in), it's the only Blizzard beta I've lucked up enough to get in.

Have not had a chance to play yet as I didn't get the email until late.
Koz

Post by Koz »

If anyone wants to play with a fellow sucky player, feel free to friend me: Koz.koz.
whispa

Post by whispa »

If anyone has an extra key they don't mind passing on, I'm interested 8-)
Tony

Post by Tony »

What Whispa said. I would be grateful if anybody who has an extra key and wants to send it my way (after Whispa gets his). I still haven't got a Beta invite and I can't wait any longer! :grund:
McKnight

Post by McKnight »

Starcraft Beta Keys are now available if you pre-order the game at Gamestop. They should either be printed on your receipt or emailed to you within a day or so if you buy it online.

-Note these pre-orders are uncancellable-
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Got into the beta today.

Dawn of War II has ruined me for this type of game. I spent the first 5 minutes of my first game trying to re-teach myself to harvest resources. Then I proceeded to build a ton of buildings that I only roughly understood. Then the four military units I built were swiftly overrun by about a million vroomy airplanes. Oops!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

While I don't begrudge any player's skill in this game, I still prefer DoW2's focus on actually fighting in the field, as opposed to the kind of gameplay I see from "pro" level replay videos where games are often decided well before there's any decent fights.

Like, L9, I do kinda miss buildings though, but even then I don't want to play sim city.