Strategic Command: WW2 Global Conflict

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Holman

Strategic Command: WW2 Global Conflict

Post by Holman »

This one is just now out from Battlefront.

I'm a wargamer from way back, and I usually prefer dense grognard games. This one looks more beer-and-pretzel, but somehow it's attractive to me. Has anyone played any of the earlier games in the series? Is this basically a turn-based "Hearts Of Iron"?

I'd love to hear comments on the AI especially, in either the new game or older installments.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Re: Strategic Command: WW2 Global Conflict

Post by tgb »

I played the original SCII. The economics, research, and diplomacy are not nearly as deep as HoI. Think of it as a somewhat deeper Panzer General.

I am so sick of WW II that this just isn't grabbing my interest.

BTW, there's a demo available if you want to check it out. The demo includes the manual.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I might be interested but I hate their licensing system.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

You can also check out the manual without downloading the demo.
-mf
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

dbt1949 wrote:I might be interested but I hate their licensing system.
What is their licensing system?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

cicobuff wrote:

Two computers at a time. (so far no problem)
If you want to uninstall it you also have to uninstall he license or else it's "used up". If you have to nuke your hard drive you better make sure to uninstall the license or else it's used up forever. You can email them asking for another and to their credit they'll usually do it but I don't like to have to do that.
It takes an act of god to uninstall the license. They have a site you can go to to try different things in case you can't just do it from your Control Panel but you can see it can be a hassle.

I'm the kind of person who is constantly installing and uninstalling games depending on my mood and I find all this very tiresome.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

dbt1949 wrote:
cicobuff wrote:

Two computers at a time. (so far no problem)
If you want to uninstall it you also have to uninstall he license or else it's "used up". If you have to nuke your hard drive you better make sure to uninstall the license or else it's used up forever. You can email them asking for another and to their credit they'll usually do it but I don't like to have to do that.
It takes an act of god to uninstall the license. They have a site you can go to to try different things in case you can't just do it from your Control Panel but you can see it can be a hassle.

I'm the kind of person who is constantly installing and uninstalling games depending on my mood and I find all this very tiresome.
Doh! That means it won't work for me as well as I usually wipe my windows installation every 3 months or so. And on my laptop and desktop also....
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

It's not TOO bad, but can be a PITA in certain situations. I think that their customer service will work with you if you have an issue (like a computer crash while the game is still licensed to two other computers. You just have to be careful that you de-license the game from one if you are playing to install on a third (I think you get 2 you can use, IIRC). It certainly isn't Ubisoft, but it isn't Matrix either...

I do want to relate - they did make the install of all that "bloatware" that appears at the end of Battlefront's install process default to "no" rather than "yes" like it did in some of their past title (stuff like the google toolbar, and the battlefront toolbar).

Bael
Holman

Post by Holman »

FWIW, I've uninstalled twice without "properly" removing my Battlefront license first (once a HD crash, once just forgetful). Both times, all it took was an email to set things right.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All I'm saying is I don't like it and won't be buying anymore from them until it gets changed. I wish Battlefront and everybody who buys their games all the best in the world, but it's just not my thing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 pm All I'm saying is I don't like it and won't be buying anymore from them until it gets changed. I wish Battlefront and everybody who buys their games all the best in the world, but it's just not my thing.
Now you can get a Steam key for games registered at Matrix through the My Page interface
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's good. Matrix and Battlefront are two different companies.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The OP title is apparently now Strategic Command Classic: Global Conflict, which was developed by Fury Software and published by Battlefront.
The Matrix version is the Gold Edition of the original and includes the the two DLCs "Assault on Communism" and "Assault on Democracy".
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I now have Strategic Global Command Classic and Strategic Command Classic WW1.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949