Saboteur

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

theohall

Re: Saboteur

Post by theohall »

Madmarcus wrote:Back with a question; how do you set up multiple RDX charges? Can you set them with different "channels" so that you can blow one and wait to blow a different one?

Right now RDX seems cool but if I do anything after setting it I seem to lose my link to it and can't set it off. Once or twice I managed to get two charges to blow at once but it seemed random; other times placing the second charge (which uses the mouse button of course) seems to make me drop connection to both charges.

Save system still weird but I've finally trained myself not to think of it as "quick save" but instead its "record progress."
Nope. Can't set different channels and can't go too far away from the first one set. If you want to blow up multiple things, got to plan ahead and decide where you want to be when the show starts. I've set off as many as six at once, but had to look at the map and figure out the order to place them, so as to always be in range, and where to set it off to make sure they all went.

Another way, which I forgot about but remember doing in the factory at the end... If you set one within the blast radius of another, the other will blow so you can make a line of them, stay in range of the last one, and watch them all go off.

If you maxed out on dynamite and RDX and make sure each is within the blast radius of the next when placing them, you can make a really long chain.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Madmarcus wrote:Back with a question; how do you set up multiple RDX charges? Can you set them with different "channels" so that you can blow one and wait to blow a different one?
IIRC correctly the way it worked on the console was that you placed one, then hit the dpad so you saw the explosives icon instead of the detonator icon. Repeat as necessary. Again, I can't recall completely, but I think you got an upgrade along the way that let you place more at once.

And no, you have to blow them all at once, with one caveat. There is a range on the detonator, so if you plant one explosive in one place and then run to another location, you may have gotten out of range. I remember I would plant a whole mess of explosives while in disguise and then circle the area blowing them up. So if you can figure out the range, you can use that as a substitute.

EDIT: Yeah, what he said. Need to read to the end of threads :oops:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:After finished the Mafia 2 DLC last night I fired this up. I only had time to get through the prologue, but it certainly has promise. Thanks to whoever bumped this thread (madmarcus), it seems like $9 well spent
Holy cow. I finished the game last night. That was incredible all the way through. Between this and Alpha Protocol, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the hype machine. I should have bought both of these games at release, but I'm pretty sure I never even heard of them until threads here. I guess the good news I think I spent $15 between them and got the fully patched enjoyment out of them both.

Great open world gaming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
syndicatedragon

Post by syndicatedragon »

This wasn't even on my "radar", but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll have to pick it up the next time it's on sale.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

syndicatedragon wrote:This wasn't even on my "radar", but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'll have to pick it up the next time it's on sale.
It's $9 on amazon download or DVD, how much of a sale do you need? :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
syndicatedragon

Post by syndicatedragon »

coopasonic wrote:It's $9 on amazon download or DVD, how much of a sale do you need? :D
Heh. I was not aware it was so cheap. Does anyone have any experience with the Amazon Download service?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

coopasonic wrote:Holy cow. I finished the game last night. That was incredible all the way through. Between this and Alpha Protocol, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the hype machine. I should have bought both of these games at release, but I'm pretty sure I never even heard of them until threads here. I guess the good news I think I spent $15 between them and got the fully patched enjoyment out of them both.

Great open world gaming.
Arrrgh! You make it sound so tempting. Then I read comments like this:
Eurogamer wrote:While the history books may not remember that the battle for the West was largely fought by a drunken auto mechanic who entered most shootouts yelling, "Top o' the mornin' to ya!" it's something players will struggle to forget.
which somehow makes me want it both more or less.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

syndicatedragon wrote:
coopasonic wrote:It's $9 on amazon download or DVD, how much of a sale do you need? :D
Heh. I was not aware it was so cheap. Does anyone have any experience with the Amazon Download service?
I've used it a few times now for PC games, and it's always worked very slick, and fast.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
theohall

Post by theohall »

syndicatedragon wrote:
That's where I bought it when it was on sale for 4 something at christmas time. No problems whatsoever. Have to install the Amazon downloader, but that's simple enough. Once installed, make sure to adjust your settings so the game saves where you want it to save. It defaults to a location on the C: drive. Amazon also allows the multiple download thing, because it keeps track of your purchases.
theohall

Post by theohall »

AWS260 wrote:Arrrgh! You make it sound so tempting. Then I read comments like this:
Eurogamer wrote:While the history books may not remember that the battle for the West was largely fought by a drunken auto mechanic who entered most shootouts yelling, "Top o' the mornin' to ya!" it's something players will struggle to forget.
which somehow makes me want it both more or less.
They are exaggerating. I don't recall once hearing Sean say "Top o' the mornin' to ya!" while entering a shootout.

The game is just plain fun. It's not supposed to be a historical recreation. It's a first person shooter with some sarcasm included. It is cool hitting all the different landmarks in Paris.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

theohall wrote:They are exaggerating. I don't recall once hearing Sean say "Top o' the mornin' to ya!" while entering a shootout.
I did hear him say it as he passed through checkpoint. I don't remember any phrases that were repeated enough to be grating or that seemed wholly inappropriate at the time. Well he does say something about springing a leak or the red stuff is supposed to stay on the inside a bit too often, but that may just be my reckless play style.

I wouldn't say the game was flawless, that was alpha protocol, but it's damn good in my eyes. It would be great if the damn map worked at any reasonable resolution. At 1920x1200 you have to jump through some hoops to place a waypoint or find anything, including yourself on the map. The fact that I put up with that is a testament to how great I found the game to be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

The game is not perfect - the climbing in particular can be a little awkward until you figure out what the game will and won't let you do. But it is incredibly fun - I had more fun playing this game last year than any other game. I said it somewhere else, but it's really a shame about Pandemic, because I would have loved to see them bring the improvements they made in this game into a Mercenaries 3.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was looking for something ANYTHING for some fun gaming and installed this. And it looks like ass. Total crap. HORRIBLE. And the only video setting it has is gamma. Lol. I had to look online to find where the settings are and then its not where or what it says. I did finally find the settings. It was set to something like 800x600 and low stuff. This is a 2009 game remember. I set it up better to ultra and high and far draw distance. Then hit auto config just to see what it thought I should have and it reset it all to low. Nutty game cfg. So I redid it all again and fired it up and it actually looks good now. Still not great and the lighting on people like under a light or something is just a blowout. But Im going to give it a try now.

Im using kb/mouse. I could use my xbox controller. Anyone tried both and have an opinion on which is the better control scheme for this game?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I loved the game. While I haven't played in a while I don't remember it looking bad a couple of years ago (I think it was Xmas 2015 when I was playing it). Not photorealistic or anything but not really aging badly either. While I knew the graphics weren't top notch because it was an older game it felt more like a stylistic choice than just old graphics.

I can't help on the controller issue. I played with keyboard and mouse.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

From what I remember, the game somehow had two control schemes running at the same time causing conflicts, and deleting one of them fixed the control schemes. Before that I couldn't use a controller at all. I personally preferred using a gamepad.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti