Saboteur

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Defiant

Saboteur

Post by Defiant »

I'm surprised I couldn't find a thread on this. It's lots of fun. It's like Mafia set in WW2 Occupied France. You're an Irishman helping the French resistance by killing Nazis, blowing up their facilities and completing missions (blowing up stuff, rescuing prisoners, recovering stuff for the black market, etc.) while trying to avoid too much attention as to have Nazis sound alarms (Disguising yourself as a Nazi helps in some situations but not others). The storyline is over-the-top pulp stuff, and the realism isn't great (you can pretty much climb up any building, survive lots of bullet fire, after sounding the alarm, if you manage to escape Nazis will forget about you. Even if the car you're driving is covered in bullet holes. Also, there's lots of anachronisms). The visuals are great, especially the noirish black-and-white look (apart from Nazi flags, blood and a few other things) still under the Nazi boot (once you "liberate" the neighborhood, the Nazis are far fewer in that neighborhood, and the resistance operates more there.).

The main flaw I've seen you can't save during the prologue (which is fairly long) and after that point you can only save after completing missions (which are fairly short so far). Also, apparently the game has issues with ATI cards.
Last edited by Defiant on Sat May 15, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Re: Saboteur

Post by tgb »

Can you get confused, get drunk, and surrender?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
redman

Post by redman »

I did a little research and was pleasantly surprised that it got good reviews(mostly XBox, so thats why I missed it)
This went right over my radar and I wonder if Steam is selling it on sale or something because open world and WW2 sound very appealing

Where the hell is Giles? He usually has all the info on shooters

I will check it out but I won't be paying 50 bucks at the EA store-
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

redman wrote:I did a little research and was pleasantly surprised that it got good reviews(mostly XBox, so thats why I missed it)
This went right over my radar and I wonder if Steam is selling it on sale or something because open world and WW2 sound very appealing

Where the hell is Giles? He usually has all the info on shooters

I will check it out but I won't be paying 50 bucks at the EA store-
I don't think it's available on Steam. I bought it on Impulse, but on sale, for $23
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tgb wrote:Can you get confused, get drunk, and surrender?
Nope, cause you're Irish. One of the Frenchmen is rude, however.
redman

Post by redman »

Ok thanks for the update and I will check it out as there is nothing coming out for a while on my list
Gotta love a cutscene for a game that starts out with Tassels! Hah
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I bought it a few weeks ago for the 360 when the price was dropped to 20 bucks. It's a total steal for that price, and really, one of the most overlooked games from last year. It really is like Mafia meets GTA 4, set in WWII Paris. I had a lot of fun with it.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

redman wrote:
Where the hell is Giles?
I had money put aside for this game, but was unable to get a definitive answer anywhere on whether the retail disk version of this game uses online activation, so I passed on it. I saw EA on the box, and just assumed it did.

I just checked right now again on Amazon, and I see that someone has now posted that it's disk-check only, so I'll be grabbing it.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's basically Splinter Cell: World War II edition. :D

There are supposedly a TON of hidden goodies in the various levels.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

This was a game that deserved WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more attention and players than it managed to get. Heaping piles o' fun. Think GTA: Occupied France and you'll have a fair idea. The soundtrack alone makes it worth the purchase.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I heard that the main problem was finding anything left to blow up, since every other Frenchman is also in the Resistance.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

There is never, EVER a shortage of things to blow up.

And BTW, should you get stuck on one of the optional races later in the game, there's a very, very easy way to get past them. Only do this if you're totally outclassed as it's a pretty cheesy exploit:
Spoiler:
Point your gun at the driver of each car. This will trigger their 'I'm being carjacked' AI routine and they'll jump out of the car and just stand in the road. Once you have them all lined up, pull your car up to the line and start the race. Just be cautious when you're completing each lap as there's a whole bunch of cars and guys now standing in the middle of the road.
redman

Post by redman »

This game is a hoot!
Spoiler:
I was driving out in the counrtry in the beginning and stopped to be let in the German border. All I had to do was just keep driving but I saw a group of poor people witha Nazi soldier pointing a gun at them so I said "what the hell" I got out and took his gun away and gave him and the other soldiers a little justice hehe- I think I must have started the war!
thanks for the suggestion having a blast so far
Not a game for around the kiddies however
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

This game is really fun and very well done. :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky: :binky:
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Finally got this in the mail. It really is a lot of fun, and I actually am digging the story thus far.

I'm more surprised that the racecar is not difficult to drive with the keyboard-only. I had been a bit worried about that, as it's been years since I attempted it.

The landscape is beautiful, and I want to get to exploring it. So far (up through the first race) the game has been very linear. I'm hoping it opens up more later. Thus far, I've been flying past in vehicles, and the one time I stopped and got out of the car and went wandering off, I got a "Mission Failed" after a minute or so. Granted, I was in the middle of a mission, but I'm wondering just how strictly linear this game is.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

You are on a linear course until you go to Paris. Once there, you are free to explore and do whatever you want. But I think they use the typical mechanic of doling out new abilities and ways to do things if you follow the missions for a while in Paris also.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Ah, thanks Doomboy.
That is perfectly acceptable.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

At least do missions in Paris until you have multiple mission sources. Then You can choose to move on with the story or you can choose... ultraviolence! Love the sniper in this one, but the silenced pistol can get you pretty far infiltrating.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Chesspieceface wrote: Love the sniper in this one,.
Sniper? Cool. You can bet I'll be all over that. I loves to snipe.
Well, I finished the Prologue, and I must say that this game has a way of keeping me pulled in to see what happens next. Very difficult to quit out of a session.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I like the system of Suspicion Zones. It really rewards good stealth and really punishes stupidity.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

Picked this up on Impulse sale last time and just got around to installing it. Sadly, it crashes on main menu for me since I'm using ATI 4550 and so far no patch for it from EA since Pandemic no longer exists.

Maybe this is why it's underrated, coz half the people who bought it on PC (ATI users) can't play it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The did release a beta patch for ATI and Quad Core issues, but nothing after that AFAIK.
-mf
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

MonkeyFinger wrote:The did release a beta patch for ATI and Quad Core issues, but nothing after that AFAIK.
I did look into that but the link is no longer valid since pandemic's website no longer exists. I did find the patch in FilePlanet, so I was able to install that and get it up and running.
map

Post by map »

I got this off an Impulse sale. I finished it and am playing sandbox[?]. I really enjoyed the game. Lot's of fun. After reading the Alpha Protocal threads I'm thinking Saboteur is a good alternative[ especially at it's price point].
Peace through Strength
oliverh

Post by oliverh »

I got this on release and didn't play it much - I recently reinstalled in after getting an SSD (woot!) and it is awesome. Not perfect, but there's boobs, Nazis to shoot, buildings to climb, shit to blow up and zeppelins.

Did I mention the zeppelins?

Plus, the ambiance of this game is simply second to none. The only complaint I'd level is the slightly over-enthusiastic voicework, especially boy tha leed Oirish fella as he's ohlwaiys saiyin 'fookin this and fookin that up tha arse'. But even that, in it's own silly way is charming.

I kind of wish the climbing had a minigame or something, but that might get annoying. As it stands, it's just a lot of w,w,space,a,space,a,a,space,space. Kinda boring.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Wow this game is really swallowing my gaming time!

I'm 22 hours into it (bought it at Christmas but really didn't play until the ice storm closed Atlanta down this week) 31% done on the story but only 20% on the free play (maybe not even that much). I haven't played a GTA game since the first one (which I disliked) so I"m comparing it to Bethesda open world rpgs. The perks aren't quite as good as leveling a character but I'm really enjoying treating the freeplay objectives as puzzles (can I do it without setting off an alarm?). I really knew I was hooked when I spent 1.5 hours traveling from the Belle to Trocadero and wandering around that area attempting to get a specific car out of the area without setting off the alarm! Basically no progress as the game counts it but tons of fun. Finally gave up, smashed the car through the barricade and outran the pursuit. The only real problem I have, coming from an rpg background, is the save system. it feels odd but I've started leaving specific targets undestroyed just so that I can get a quick uniform and some weapons when I spawn back at HQ after dying.

[no real reason for the post although if someone knows whether you can use grenades to take out any objectives I'd be interested - traveling back to a weapons dealer is getting to be old now that I've cleared all the sites close to both bases]
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Has there been any ATI love? It looks like it is right up my alley and I'll be finished with the Mafia 2 DLC today or tomorrow, but I'm an ATI guy at the moment.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

coopasonic wrote:Has there been any ATI love? It looks like it is right up my alley and I'll be finished with the Mafia 2 DLC today or tomorrow, but I'm an ATI guy at the moment.
Mixed results, if the reviews at Amazon are any indication. Some got it to work no problem, while others say not. But at $9 at Amazon for the disk or download version, it might be worth taking a chance?
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

When I bought it I was using a nvidia 8600GT but I'd been wanting a new video card for a while so my Christmas present to myself was a ATI 5670 (which seems to run just fine on my stock Dell 300W power supply). Using the beta 1.03 patch I have seen no problem with this card. Most settings are on medium. BTW I purchased the game from Amazon digital download and had no problem patching it.
theohall

Post by theohall »

On ATI cards - stolen from GT:
CeeKay wrote: I'm happy to say I fired up the game and we got boobies! everything runs smoothly so far.  I only got up to start of the flashback but the first prologue was smooth as butter.  I was kind of worried, ater all I'm running on a quad core with 2 ATI cards crossfired so my rig had the whammy on it for the game, but the beta patch fixed things right up.  of course I didn't try running it without the patch, but I'm assuming the download was version 1.0.
On Grenades and objectives - they can take out the smaller stuff - like the propaganda towers. Otherwise, some secondary explosive stuff near the target is needed. If you see one of the oil drums near a radar station, grenades work fine. They can also take out the fueling stations if you can get the grenade to land near the gas-pump like devices.

Agree on the Save system sucking.

Finished the main storyline, just doing free play now to try and get all the perks. One of them being a real pain is kill ten nazis in 10 seconds with dynamite or RDX. RDX is the way to go. Definitely unlock that stuff as soon as you can. Remote dynamite? Awesome!
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'd love to unlock RDX but I'm having a devil of a time finding / getting 5 Nazi vehicles close enough that I can run between then setting dynamite without being killed in the alarm. Buying the perk almost seems worth it but I'm thinking I might prefer to buy the racing ones instead (I'm not very good at the racing).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Giles Habibula wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Has there been any ATI love? It looks like it is right up my alley and I'll be finished with the Mafia 2 DLC today or tomorrow, but I'm an ATI guy at the moment.
Mixed results, if the reviews at Amazon are any indication. Some got it to work no problem, while others say not. But at $9 at Amazon for the disk or download version, it might be worth taking a chance?
Yeah, for $9 I'm willing to take the chance. Thanks for the feedback folks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dr. Sugardaddy

Post by Dr. Sugardaddy »

I wanted to love this on the PC, but could never get it to work on a multicore CPU unless I turned off additional cores at the BIOS level (not just adjusting the core affinity in windows). Has this been fixed? As petty as it sounds, I don't want to have to reboot the whole system just to play one game...

[edit] this was post-patch BTW...
"The ever-increasing disconnect between objective reality and popular belief is one of the more frightening things about modernity." -Ironrod
theohall

Post by theohall »

Madmarcus wrote:I'd love to unlock RDX but I'm having a devil of a time finding / getting 5 Nazi vehicles close enough that I can run between then setting dynamite without being killed in the alarm. Buying the perk almost seems worth it but I'm thinking I might prefer to buy the racing ones instead (I'm not very good at the racing).
RDX the easy way.
Spoiler:
Steal some vehicles and get them together in a common point. Or just steal one, get it in the garage, take it out, park it and repeat four times. Place the dynamite on each one Xing out of the first few, and then running away after placing the last one. If you park them near enough together, the first blast will set off the rest.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Dr. Sugardaddy wrote:I wanted to love this on the PC, but could never get it to work on a multicore CPU unless I turned off additional cores at the BIOS level (not just adjusting the core affinity in windows). Has this been fixed? As petty as it sounds, I don't want to have to reboot the whole system just to play one game...

[edit] this was post-patch BTW...
Here is the quad core workaround for Vista and Windows 7:

Recommended Game-only steps for Quad core users only:

1.) Boot the game.
2.) Wait for the main menu to load, then press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
3.) Select Start Task Manager.
4.) If the game is visible, press Alt-Tab, otherwise continue to the next step.
5.) Inside the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab.
6.) Find Saboteur.exe, right-click it, and select Set Affinity...
7.) De-select CPU 2 and CPU 3.
8.) Click OK.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Was your RDX obtaining trick done on the patched game? I tried it with vehicles from my garage and it didn't work. I wondered if they removed that exploit?

I should just go steal a bunch of them but I'm always a little paranoid that they will go poof while I'm off picking up a couple more. Plus I see another dot on the minimap and get distracted!
theohall

Post by theohall »

The slower method - In the first headquarters place, La Vellite,

1) Talk to garage dude.
2) Repair Sturmwagen if necessary (has to be repaired to be selected).
3) Select Sturmwagen and get in.
3) Park it just in front of the garage, but far enough away so you don't blow up the garage dude.
4) Blow it up.
5) Go back to step 1.

Do this 5 times and you should complete the perk easily. Still had 100+ seconds left with this method.

And, yes, it is the patched version.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That's actually what I tried after finding that I couldn't just request 5 vehicles and park them side by side. It didn't work. So I went to the nearby AA gun in a Nazi truck and set off an alarm. I piled 4 vehicles in a heap and blew them of plus one more motorcycle for the final touch. Still didn't fire the perk! Seemingly my own vehicles aren't counting. Luckily a squad of German appeared with transport and I managed to plant the dynamite and run before they could all get set up around me.

The range on RDX (the detonator) is a little short but it has some nice uses.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

After finished the Mafia 2 DLC last night I fired this up. I only had time to get through the prologue, but it certainly has promise. Thanks to whoever bumped this thread (madmarcus), it seems like $9 well spent
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Back with a question; how do you set up multiple RDX charges? Can you set them with different "channels" so that you can blow one and wait to blow a different one?

Right now RDX seems cool but if I do anything after setting it I seem to lose my link to it and can't set it off. Once or twice I managed to get two charges to blow at once but it seemed random; other times placing the second charge (which uses the mouse button of course) seems to make me drop connection to both charges.

Save system still weird but I've finally trained myself not to think of it as "quick save" but instead its "record progress."