Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Re: Minecraft

Post by Lorini »

Yeah sorry I missed that. I'm playing unmodded 1.14 and it's great. Keep in mind that 1.14 is either the biggest survival patch for MC or damned close, which makes it much better than some of the earlier patches.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, I'll likely just do that, although I've seen a couple of maps that work with it (Voxel Map and... Mappy, I think?) I've played enough Minecraft that I was wanting to take on some quality-of-life changes without altering the flavor too much.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Found a seed with two villages nearby. After about two hours of gathering, just as I was getting ready to start improving the village, it was wiped out by pillagers. I went to the second village. It was wiped out within 15 minutes. I tried to fight back, but they kill me in two hits, even while wearing armor, and spawn in groups of probably eight or ten. I couldn't do a damned thing but die repeatedly.

That was other-than-fun.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

My daughter (7 years old) wants this game and did enough to "earn" it. So.......never really looked into it. Is it on Steam? Where do I buy it? How do I make sure she is able to play with her friends but still able to keep general world A-holes out? Any other advice?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

And while you are answering his questions, my daughters want to play with their cousins. I'm thinking of doing Realms for them. In so doing, do they only get one world? Or can one be Creative and another be the standard version? Where can I read more? :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Realms is the answer for private spaces unless you want to fiddle with servers. Google Minecraft realms for more info. I have a private realm that I pay $8 a month on an auto renew service (you can still cancel at any time) and it gave me three worlds. You can buy the Win10 version of Minecraft (probably the best for kids) on the Microsoft Store on PC. If you want the java version which accommodates mods, you'll need to go to mojang.net. Win10 has a bunch of templates and adventures and other stuff, Java is just java and you are on your own. I go with Java but Win10 does have better graphics for sure.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If she's wanting to play with friends who already have it, though, it needs to be the same version they're playing. And mods for Minecraft are very popular among kids.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the info.

None of the kids are using mods. Two are on Fire tablets and two are on Android tablets. Looks like they could play using the Mobile Realms version. $7.99/month isn't too bad.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

stessier wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm Thanks for the info.

None of the kids are using mods. Two are on Fire tablets and two are on Android tablets. Looks like they could play using the Mobile Realms version. $7.99/month isn't too bad.
Yeah they'll need the Better Together version which is the same as the Win10 version. I think it depends on the ages of the kids and the availability of someone who will set up a server with the mods they want....that's not that simple unless you're in the business so to speak.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Thanks for the info. Guess I need to find out what version her friends are playing first and go from there.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Lorini wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:00 pm Realms is the answer for private spaces unless you want to fiddle with servers. Google Minecraft realms for more info. I have a private realm that I pay $8 a month on an auto renew service (you can still cancel at any time) and it gave me three worlds. You can buy the Win10 version of Minecraft (probably the best for kids) on the Microsoft Store on PC. If you want the java version which accommodates mods, you'll need to go to mojang.net. Win10 has a bunch of templates and adventures and other stuff, Java is just java and you are on your own. I go with Java but Win10 does have better graphics for sure.
So I got the Win10 version Realm. It looks like it auto-generated a world. I see I can choose the difficulty, but I have to play in Survival mode - no creative mode. Is there anyway to get a Creative Mode? And you mention having more than one world - how do you switch between them (or where should I look for the other worlds - I only see one).

Thanks!

Edit: And nevermind - I found you had to leave the world and then you can monkey with the version (Survival, Creative, Adventure). Still trying to figure out the multiple worlds thing.
Edit 2: And I figured out how to do multiple worlds. Guess I posted too soon. :)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Good you got going. Let us know if you have any other issues/questions.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

So, Ethan now has a PC (from Christmas) and he's been asking for minecraft. He has it for PS4, but as you know that's limited. Part of the deal I gave him was that we would buy when school was over. That's over next week, and he's talking about it non-stop.

I was hoping to buy it under my windows account so I can play it with RTX when the kids are not playing. My son's PC doesn't have a RTX capable card so his would be just vanilla.

Is it possible to share my MS account on his PC? When looking at the store, I don't see an option to log out. This is making me think I won't be able to share. I really don't want to spend $30 each for Ethan and Lila.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

guess i could have googled...

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-share-yo ... ur-family/

This is great!

Thanks all for your help between my posts :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my younger nephew is old enough to play on my server, but getting both of them on at the same time necessitated another license. my brother made the mistake of asking the older nephew which one they needed, and the 11 year old said 'Windows edition!'... so yeah, he had no idea what he was talking about and i'm not sure why he didn't ask me, as you need Java edition to play on self-hosted servers.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat May 23, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And, unless something has changed, for a lot of the mods.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yup, Java edition for the mods as well

there was an offer a few years ago that original ('Java edition') license owners could get a free Windows edition license, so i went for that, but i haven't even touched Windows edition since then. it's too bad Microsoft bought Mojang out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My kids both have android tablets they use to play MCPE. They just got the 1.16 update. Before that update, they could join each others' worlds and play in them without fail. Now, youngest daughter can still join other people and other people can join her. Oldest daughter appears to be the problem - she can only join certain worlds and play. When oldest daughter tries to join youngest, she gets a "locating server" then "disconnecting from server" message without ever getting in the world. When youngest tries to connect to oldest, youngest actually gets in the world and within a minute gets "disconnecting from server" message. There are other people, though, that oldest has no trouble joining.

I've tried rebooting the tablets, reinstalling Minecraft on Oldest, and signing in and out of their Microsoft accounts. Anything else I can try? This is a big deal in the house at the moment.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

My kids Are having all sorts of problems on PS4 Minecraft the last couple days. They get 5 minutes into a game, then it crashes with a generic error message. I’ve tried rebooting the game and the system, made sure the OS and the game are up to date, but nothing seems to be working.

There’s gonna be a full-on revolt if we can’t get this working, but the generic error code is no help in troubleshooting at all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The kids would like to play Minecraft on my desktop. We bought it through Google Play for their tablets. Do I have to buy it again through the Microsoft store for them to play on the desktop? I'm betting yes...
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I think so, unless it's changed recently. I've bought Minecraft about five times over because of this. :roll:
I no longer post here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paradroid wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:03 am I think so, unless it's changed recently. I've bought Minecraft about five times over because of this. :roll:
Thanks. I think I'm getting smarter. I bought it under each kids account on Play Store and now I'll buy it under each of their own accounts on Microsoft. So it should travel with them from now on. I think this will make 5 purchases for me as well. Given the hours played, though, it's still really cheap...but also still feels wrong.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Make sure you find out if they're wanting to play with friends or on their own. Unless something has changed dramatically, lots of kids prefer playing with mods, and that means the Java version, not the Microsoft version.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:30 pm Make sure you find out if they're wanting to play with friends or on their own. Unless something has changed dramatically, lots of kids prefer playing with mods, and that means the Java version, not the Microsoft version.
Could have changed because of cross play. Can't do cross play with the Java version.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've had a Java (original) account since alpha, but only got a Microsoft one because it was free at the time to owners of the Java license.

i prefer hosting my own server, so Java version is the one i usuallyalways play.

https://www.pcgamer.com/minecraft-java- ... indows-10/
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Anyone interested in getting back into a forge modded version of this?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know if I could find the time, but this thread brought back memories as I'm pretty sure I played on one of your servers for a few weeks many years ago and it was a wonderful experience. (Maybe not though, since I seem not to have posted in this thread? Perhaps there was another.) Minecraft makes such wonderful memories.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'd be very interested. I have been looking back into mod packs lately. It would probably be easiest do to some pack available on FTB or something. I think the Curse/Twitch launcher integration got dumped; but there is a CurseForge app again.

Last time I played it was SevTech Ages pack and that was last year sometime. I wouldn't recommend SevTech as a MP building pack. Its more about tech progression. Plus it has AbbyssalCraft which is very messy, ugly and painful and mucks with worldgen too much.

IIRC - doing a customized version of that pack, it was using the CurseForge app and another one called OverWolf for managing the add-ons. They installed and configured together. I think you could still do some sort of custom pack that matched a server. I'm unsure since I haven't setup a community server in years.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

A lot has changed for sure. I got mods running on a rented server with a lot of experimentation. thats at 1.18.1. tinkers construct is running but a lot of the other things we had on the old server, like BuildCraft and the butterfly breeding mods are legacy. they're working on a new buildcraft but they're doing on Fabric, which is an alternate to Forge. its kind of like the wild west again. I think if we do something it'll have to be an older version of direwolf, like 1.7. not sure if thats the MC version or the DW version.
Klif

Post by Klif »

The mod TETRA is a game-changer, and I've become a big fan. If you haven't played anything with Tetra in it, I highly suggest you do!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll have to look in to TETRA - never heard of it. I've been playing Oceanblock - a survival modpack. It's 1.16.5 based.

I'm definitely up for a shared server. I probably wouldn't mind any of the newer stable modpacks.

As for 1.18+ : I have been playing Modpacks with quests and progression built in and have had to learn other packs. I have found that stuff like Thermal Foundation and Mekanism are great tech mods (Better than BC). I like the Flux Networks a lot. Still loving Storage drawers and Refined Storage (and AE2 for that matter, though I don't like the meteor crater spawns). Big Reactors is now Extreme Reactors (or Bigger Reactors). Gotta love Building Gadgets.

I think the All The mods pack has all of those and more. I see they have a bunch of the Macaw's mods that add a lot of decor and furniture stuff too. And they even have Minecraft Colonies, where you can build out villager towns/cities by zoning areas and questing to give them resources. That looks pretty cool. I may load it up and play with it a bit.

My only concerns would be using something like Biome's O Plenty for worldgen. Seems messy and I want to see the new stuff in 1.18.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I've been playing with Biomes o Plenty and I've narrowed it down to like 5 of their biomes (from 50) and it seems to be a really nice mix with vanilla. the cave stuff in 1.18+ is pretty overwhelming to the seed so there's kind of no way to miss it lol. I routinely see giant cavern systems stretching from +100 visibly down to -40 bedrock. I've been trying to get help with Biomes on their discord but its the typical no response from the devs on anything that requires them to not copy paste insults. I'm sure they get tired of config questions from literal 8 year olds, but how hard is it to just answer some basic questions on which guides are still relevant in 2022 on a mod thats been out for 10 years.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I re-installed the Curseforge launcher and downloaded All The Mods 7 (1.18 based). I'm gonna play it some this weekend. The latest Direwolf20 pack was 1.16.4+ based.

Are you still thinking about doing a server?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I was watching the DireWolf20 ForgeCraft episodes and he mentioned that his new Let's play series with MC 1.18.2 is starting in the next couple of weeks. And that means a new matching Direwolf20 mod pack for 1.18.2

EDIT: it released this morning. Yay!
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

hows the new Direwolf? my daughters have had covid so I've been not really playing this the past two weeks. just circling back around.
Izziewerner

Post by Izziewerner »

The first step to creating a blast furnace in Minecraft is to create an entity called a blast furnace.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now this is getting personal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

circling back around to this game. it looks like feed the beast has a 1.19.2 full support DireWolf20 pack now.

https://www.feed-the-beast.com/modpacks ... wolf20-119

when I was checking this out back in may there was almost no support for anything.

as usual I'd probably want to massively limit the biomes in https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc ... s-youll-go

they seem like they're created by a 12 year old.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm not disinterested.. I did build a new PC recently and I do have a history of building a hot rod machine and then just playing Minecraft on it for a month. LOL

Edit: I did play a the Stoneblock 3 modpack recently. It was fun, but a short run because it was kinda boring. I also did a very long run of Better Minecraft 2, which I used for a full play-through of Mine Colonies. BM2 is a really good mix. Both of those packs are 1.18 version, but with the caves and cliffs generation of 1.19