Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Minecraft

Post by GreenGoo »

Kelric wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I just don't get "it" yet, that's all.
Well it did take you four years to get into Dwarf Fortress. ;)
It took me 4 years to return to it. :D Ok, yes, 4 years to get into it. That's true. I gave it a decent effort the first time though.

I'm still reading these threads and looking at the screen shots and reading along. I look forward to seeing what collaboration occurs.

Some of the screen shots are starting to be interesting.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Well I am stuck in the OO tower at the moment. I think it's a plot by Sepiche to secretly control the world. :ninja:

-Hrnac
Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Lee wrote:Boughten. Built a little shelter once dark came around, now trying to figure out how to build stuff. Haven't seen any badies, just sheep and pigs.

Strangely addicting.
Baddies only spawn where it's dark (i.e. night time and in caves).
Lee

Post by Lee »

Koz wrote:
Lee wrote:Boughten. Built a little shelter once dark came around, now trying to figure out how to build stuff. Haven't seen any badies, just sheep and pigs.

Strangely addicting.
Baddies only spawn where it's dark (i.e. night time and in caves).
Yeah I found a burning zombie when I came out in the morning. Still trying to figure out how to build stuff. I have some armor, but from reading it seems I need torches badly. Must find ore...
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Lee, you need sticks and coal for torches.

-Hrnac
Lee

Post by Lee »

Hrnac wrote:Lee, you need sticks and coal for torches.
Just got some. Coal is hard to find though, guess I need to start digging holes.

Just frustrated that I need to keep popping out of the game to look at recipes or to identify what I have. Guess that will get easier, but right now there is a bit of a learning curve.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Lee wrote:
Hrnac wrote:Lee, you need sticks and coal for torches.
Just got some. Coal is hard to find though, guess I need to start digging holes.

Just frustrated that I need to keep popping out of the game to look at recipes or to identify what I have. Guess that will get easier, but right now there is a bit of a learning curve.
You will eventually memorize most of them. :)

-Hrnac
Greyjoy

Post by Greyjoy »

Helps to remember that, as a general rule, the recipes look sort of like the thing you're crafting. Especially swords, picks, hoes; the armor's a bit unintuitive unless it's pants, I have to say. Got boats without looking at the wiki though.

"Hm. How do I make a torch? Oh, okay, I stick a piece of coal on top of a stick. That makes sense."
Lee

Post by Lee »

Wow, that's addicting. Gradually turning my dirt home into stone with windows. Have a mine built with stairs leading down, but in one of my tunnels I am hearing nasty sounds. I suck at combat so that isn't good. It doesn't help that I keep getting blown up in the day by whatever those green things are.

Really fun game.
DonD

Post by DonD »

Bought it and struggled a bit until I figured out I needed a pick to get coal out without ruining it. Then the hours whizzed by as I dug an elaborate underground network. Only to enter a giant room and get whacked by a spider (I was confused and thought maybe I had excavated the room and somehow looped back to it).

Now I'm having trouble finding the entrance again (i had travelled a bit initially, looking for some surface ore deposits). I had built a high sand wall with torches on top to guard the entrance, so I think it should be easy to spot..it isn't. The world is just so big.

Fun little time waster.
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

DonD wrote:Bought it and struggled a bit until I figured out I needed a pick to get coal out without ruining it. Then the hours whizzed by as I dug an elaborate underground network. Only to enter a giant room and get whacked by a spider (I was confused and thought maybe I had excavated the room and somehow looped back to it).

Now I'm having trouble finding the entrance again (i had travelled a bit initially, looking for some surface ore deposits). I had built a high sand wall with torches on top to guard the entrance, so I think it should be easy to spot..it isn't. The world is just so big.

Fun little time waster.
I got lost while ago, the world is humangous , i am trying to find way back, but it looks less and less likely. I have to build night shelters every night, and by day try to track back. It seems i might have to start in relocation part, though i do miss my farm, other then that its not big deal. But farm building took me a while, and sadly i probably wont find my way back.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Matrix wrote:
DonD wrote:Bought it and struggled a bit until I figured out I needed a pick to get coal out without ruining it. Then the hours whizzed by as I dug an elaborate underground network. Only to enter a giant room and get whacked by a spider (I was confused and thought maybe I had excavated the room and somehow looped back to it).

Fun little time waster.
I got lost while ago, the world is humangous , i am trying to find way back, but it looks less and less likely. I have to build night shelters every night, and by day try to track back. It seems i might have to start in relocation part, though i do miss my farm, other then that its not big deal. But farm building took me a while, and sadly i probably wont find my way back.
Had to restart, at one point game began to gltich, tried to reload it but its seems something happened and glitch didnt go away. It was good any way, since me finding way back looking grim. Now i have a new habit of marking places i go, so that i got lost , doesnt happen again.

Restarted map, this one has ocean and not much mountains at least at the coast. I made a short term gazibo, but planning to make scouting runs and move soon, since i cant mine much here. This time around my start was way faster then my first run around.
DonD

Post by DonD »

I found the place then built some a couple of towers with torches marking the high points of that particular island and a couple of other 'lighthouses' down at sea level.

The next time I died (stupid exploding thing), it was easy-peasey.
Enlarge Image
Lee

Post by Lee »

We're all screwed when torches become limited on duration. :)
qp

Post by qp »

I'm briefly coming out of a week long Minecraft haze to say #$@#@ you all for introducing me to this bottomless timesink!

Bastards!
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Lee wrote:We're all screwed when torches become limited on duration. :)
I really think Notch should really add some sort of duration to torches. It gets a bit easy with neverending torches.

-Hrnac
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lee wrote:We're all screwed when torches become limited on duration. :)
The plan as I've heard it is to make torches have a limited life, but at the same time he would add something like oil lamps that would be harder to make, but last indefinitely.
DonD

Post by DonD »

Perhaps he could tie that into difficulty level. I, for one, like perma-torches. I just want to explore at my own pace and not worry about getting stuck in a deep, dark place with no way to see which is the way out.
Lee

Post by Lee »

So how does mob spawning work? Any dark square at night? So it would be pretty easy to set up safe rooms in a mine if you explore it at night?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Ohhh, cattle, milk, and leather added. Although milk doesn't do anything yet.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Wow, this thing cripples my 3 year old Macbook Pro. Crashed it even. The game says it's only using 50% of my memory, but in reality OSX is saying it's using all of it.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Dont know whats up with latest patch, i crushed from last game, when i re spawned i died, from what looked like i was stuck in earth. I lost everything i had on me at the moment, which includes all my torches, all my coal, and some of the iron. Thankfully my main stash of iron i had in my storage. Now to the more exiting part, this latest patch is mob crazy, i just saw 6 creepers and 3 skeleton archers right outside of my house. Thankfully i have a semi sky house (with window view, that's how i can see the massed mobs outside of my house) , aka i built on the sky hill which is connected to land but only in few places and very steep. Otherwise , i would have been blown up in 2 seconds. 6 creepers in one place, is a bit of over kill.

PS: I am seeing mobs just spawning from no where in massive amounts. Good thing i light proofed my sky house, if you got a land based building, be very careful, it literally flooding with mobs.
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

Hrnac wrote:Sign me up for an OO succession game.

-Hrnac

Me too please!
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Arkon wrote:
Hrnac wrote:Sign me up for an OO succession game.

-Hrnac

Me too please!
Done! You should be up by the weekend.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

heh:
Lee

Post by Lee »

Tom Chick mention of Minecraft. Not that the article says much of interest, but watch the video. My little shack seems pretty pathetic now.
DonD

Post by DonD »

That's impressive.
I like the little flower garden near the beginning of the video.
qp

Post by qp »

Argh found a dungeon, but it was weird the spawner was over empty space and zombies kept dropping out. Anyways was trying to break it, got cornered by spawning zombies and bam dead...had a diamond sword, a diamond pick, and piles of stuff. Went back, and it wasn't there (assume it fell into the abyss), bam died again (no armor this time), lost my 2nd diamond sword. Argh...plus it's at the edges of a massive cave system, I spend a lot of time trying to find it again. Maybe I'll just strip mine it hehe.
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lee wrote:Tom Chick mention of Minecraft. Not that the article says much of interest, but watch the video. My little shack seems pretty pathetic now.
Did anyone else think, "Gordon Freeman's first day on the job" when watching that? :wink: Awesome!

What is a good way to find Diamonds and gold? I barely ever find any of them!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Here's a small underwater test dome I made. I can enter it by climbing down a ladder in the basement of my seaside keep.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Lee

Post by Lee »

Very cool Sepiche. Bet it was a pain building it and having to go up for breath all the time though.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Friday update is out.
Spoiler:
It adds:
Paper
Bamboo
Books
Bookshelves
Clay
Bricks
Slime
Chain Mail

Possibly more...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I needed a break from work this afternoon, so in preparation for multiplayer Minecraft I made myself a new skin. :)

http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=Sepiche" target="_blank
DonD

Post by DonD »

Started a new map last night. I didn't see any ore or caves after a brief look around so I immediately went to work tunneling into the mountain behind me. I build walls and a roof for my new shelter. It was too dark inside when night came, so I worked outside in the moonlight harvesting sand. There were a few 'incidents' with wandering creatures, including one particularly nasty spider, but after a few respawns, he was dead and I was able to get back to work.

Come morning, I went back to my tunneling and soon found a few specks of coal. With the ability to craft a torch, the mining operation went into full production. We finished off the front of our shelter and put up a door, made another door to keep the mining operation separated and kept digging.

We found some ore and more coal, and eventually poked through to the other side of the mountain.

With our first objective accomplished, we went about sprucing up our appearance. A front walk was created and flowers planted. Since we had coal to spare, we tore down the front of our house and replaced the stone front with a much nicer glass front.

Having learned my lesson from earlier efforts, I knew I needed a beacon to be able to find my way back once I started exploring so I made an observation tower with some of the harvested stone. The extra glass came in handy at the top.

From the top, I could see an exposed opening to an underground cavern. I investigated but there wasn't much inside besides some coal and one of those green explodey guys. I climbed out from the other side, looked around, and immediately could find where I was. Bingo!

With new confidence, I roamed further afield. I spotted bamboo:

I saw a weird, naturally-occuring formation:

I just had to investigate it. Once up top, I looked around. I spotted this little wonder:

The shadows were lengthening and I wasn't supplied well enough for spelunking, so I headed back to base to unload things I wouldn't need and to load up on torches, picks, and swords. That cave will have to wait until tomorrow.
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Did you explore that cave yet DonD?

-Hrnac
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Could today be the day we get Powered Minecarts? The SA forums are running rampant with speculation. Those forums over there are quite interesting.

-Hrnac
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

He mentioned yesterday that he was going to enable multiplayer before he left on a trip next week. I'm guessing it won't be until Monday or Tuesday, but I still hold out home he might turn it on today. He also said that monsters aren't enabled in multiplayer yet, but that was about the only major feature it's lacking.

Technically powered minecarts are in the game already:
" target="_blank

;)
Hrnac

Post by Hrnac »

Sepiche wrote:He mentioned yesterday that he was going to enable multiplayer before he left on a trip next week. I'm guessing it won't be until Monday or Tuesday, but I still hold out home he might turn it on today. He also said that monsters aren't enabled in multiplayer yet, but that was about the only major feature it's lacking.

Technically powered minecarts are in the game already:
" target="_blank

;)
That is very cool.

-Hrnac
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Aaaand... now we have real powered minecarts. :P
* Powered Minecarts are in. They need coal, and they only push, not drag.
* A few secret things! OooOooooOOO!
No MP though, but hopefully early next week.

Edit: Sweet! He added chickens which drop feathers. Should be much easier now to keep a bow up and running.
Also bulls which drop horns, and flint can be used to make arrows now.
DonD

Post by DonD »

Hrnac wrote:Did you explore that cave yet DonD?

-Hrnac
I did and it was massive with multiple branches -- immediately past the entrance it split into 2, then the left passage split into 3. Pictures don't really tell the story, so I didn't post anything more about it.

I've now taken to starting new worlds with each update, seeing what the terrain generator coughs up and exploring.

I did reach the bottom of the world in my last game -- bedrock -- and found an opening to the void beyond. Nothing exciting when you drop down..just a quick death and respawn.