Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Minecraft

Post by hitbyambulance »

including myself? currently, two. i also have a different server that my nephew logs onto for a few hours on Saturday afternoons - i may transfer him to this one at some point.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

server is now running on a Raspberry Pi 3. it does get a lag spike at times, but overall running better than i would have expected. (might get a faster SD card to see if that helps.)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Cool. Is it running vanilla or some mod?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i am anti-mod, so it is running "just as Notch intended". funda-Mine-alism, if you will.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Finally got around to playing this. Played for about an hour, fell into a huge hole and couldn't find a way out. Starting again today, I see the appeal :).
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lorini wrote:Finally got around to playing this. Played for about an hour, fell into a huge hole and couldn't find a way out.
if you fall into a huge hole, you just dig yourself out (making a "staircase" up to the surface). if you don't have a pickaxe and you're up against stone, it's going to take... a while.
Starting again today, I see the appeal :).
you're just getting started, believe me... if you want to try my server, i can send you the info.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I don't know how to build up, that's the thing. The guide I linked to talked about putting blocks up, but how do you do that?

Also what does being on a server offer? I'm totally new to all this.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Lorini wrote:I don't know how to build up, that's the thing. The guide I linked to talked about putting blocks up, but how do you do that?

Place a block, stand on it, place a block. You can build above you as long as your block touches another object, gravity doesn't apply except for sand and water.

Being on a server just means you can play with other people. Part of the joy of building things in MC is getting to show off your work.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lorini wrote:I don't know how to build up, that's the thing. The guide I linked to talked about putting blocks up, but how do you do that?
while holding the block, right-click on the ground or wall. the 'square' the cursor is on will highlight if a block can be placed there. of course, you need a block in the first place, and only dirt and wood are harvest-able without a pick-axe - you can make a temporary one with two sticks and three wood planks, AFTER you've made a crafting table. there's just a lot to discover on your own if you're not reading the unofficial wiki.
you can play in a world shared by others. cooperate or compete or just co-exist.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks much!!!! After I get my bearings a bit, I'll join you on the server, but I think I'll be co-existing :).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm getting frustrated because all I seem to do is get lost, die, start over. I have a map mod but it's not really helping much. I can't find enough iron to make any armor. Grr.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Surviving is probably the hardest part. Once you get a foot hold it gets much easier.

I always immediately dig myself a little hole to live in. Assuming I'm not lucky enough to spawn near a cave. Only go out during the day to forage and get wood. Just build a safe place to hide at dark and some torches. At night dig down . You have to get down a bunch of levels to get to the good stuff.

When I started I had a cave on a cliff-side with stairs that went down all the way to the earth's crust. I stopped every now and then to build a chamber room at levels that had good stuff. Just a giant staircase to hell lined with torches.

I would like to get back into this but just picked up Fallout 4 so that has me busy for now.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Lorini wrote:I'm getting frustrated because all I seem to do is get lost, die, start over. I have a map mod but it's not really helping much. I can't find enough iron to make any armor. Grr.
You won't find iron ore above sea level. You will only find dirt, stone, sand, gravel and coal. So you need to dig deeper or go spelunking.

Your first day:

1. If you're using a map mod, place a marker for your spawn point. This is your reference. You might also want to mark stuff like cave entrances or villages.
2. Punch tree trunk to get wood. Use it to make planks. Use 4 planks to make a workbench.
3. Place the workbench. Use some planks to make sticks (just a few for now). Use the planks and sticks to make a wooden axe and pick and a sword. Use the axe to pick up your workbench. Pick up any apples the decaying leaves dropped. You will need the food.
4. Go exploring looking for a place to build your first hidey hole. I usually choose the side of a steep hill and dig in. Along the way, fell more trees with the axe and use sword to kill enough sheep for 3 wool (to make a bed). If you spot coal deposits, go mine them with a pick. If you spot a village, you can raid it for potatoes, wheat and carrots and look through the forge for items in the chest. Heck, take the chest if you find one.
5. Once you have some coal and wood, dig in. You need a room that is 2x2 minimum (I usually make it 2x3 or 3x3 with a door in the middle of one side.) Place your bench along a wall or put it into the floor by digging out a block. Use the workbench to make a couple of chests and a door. Place the door and chests. Also make and place some torches. Mark your hidey hole in your map mod and then sleep for the night.
6. if you run out of time the first day and can't make torches, then just dig a small hole and crawl into it. You can block the door with dirt and wait out the night. Alternately, if you have enough dirt/sand/gravel, you can just jump/stack and wait out the night on top of a column.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm using the guide I linked to before and found a crafting guide so I can make stuff. I don't know how to use the map mod to put pointers on the map, I'll need to look into that or get one that let's me do that. I changed the mode to Peaceful and that is helping so I don't die so much. I started a new world but can't find any sheep so no bed yet :(.

Still plugging away!
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

you don't need any map mod - at the beginning of the game, you're not supposed to wander too far from your spawn point (and if you do, place items along your path so you can find your way back.)

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The map mod has made the game much more enjoyable for me. While I know there is a default way to play, having to figure out/remember my home is simply frustrating to me. Now I'm enjoying exploring and trying to figure out how the game plays. Think of me as playing the point between survival and creative...I don't want all the stuff but I also don't want the 'challenge' which unfortunately isn't challenging but negative for me.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I think most of the map mods bind the b or p key for making a map marker. you can also just hit the esc key and see if there is an option for the controls and key mapping
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

server has been updated to 1.11. there are now llamas.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How do I find out what level I'm on? I used F3 but the y axis says 58....and I'm on the surface? I'm looking for diamonds and any help much appreciated.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

"Sea Level" is level 60ish so yes 58 would be pretty close to the "surface". IIRC each block you dig down is one level... 0 is the absolute bottom (Bedrock), according to the interwebs 128 is the ceiling.

Diamonds -
Spoiler:
below level 16 - between level 5 and 12 is your best bet.
If you wan't a bit of help with the various ore locations; http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ore
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Klif

Post by Klif »

Tao wrote:"Sea Level" is level 60ish so yes 58 would be pretty close to the "surface". IIRC each block you dig down is one level... 0 is the absolute bottom (Bedrock), according to the interwebs 128 is the ceiling.

Diamonds -
Spoiler:
If you wan't a bit of help with the various ore locations; http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ore
The tradeoff being that lava spawns below 11, so you can mine safely at 12-16 for diamonds, at the detriment to number of diamonds.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Klif wrote:
Tao wrote:"Sea Level" is level 60ish so yes 58 would be pretty close to the "surface". IIRC each block you dig down is one level... 0 is the absolute bottom (Bedrock), according to the interwebs 128 is the ceiling.

Diamonds -
Spoiler:
The tradeoff being that lava spawns below 11, so you can mine safely at 12-16 for diamonds, at the detriment to number of diamonds.
This is what is confusing to me. If I'm at level 58, what is 'below 11'???
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Dig down 47 blocks.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Zarathud wrote:Dig down 47 blocks.
Really??? I hit bedrock long before that.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Really??? I hit bedrock long before that.
While I suppose it is possible are you certain you are not thinking of Obsidian, which is dark blue/black in color where as Bedrock is composed of light and dark grey striations. Bedrock is only suppose to go from level 1 to about level 5 and is normally unbreakable in survival mode.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If bedrock only goes from 1-5 and I start at level 58 I really don't understand how this level stuff works. I've encountered both obsidian and bedrock.
Black Lives Matter
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lorini wrote:If bedrock only goes from 1-5 and I start at level 58 I really don't understand how this level stuff works. I've encountered both obsidian and bedrock.
Maybe you're reading the coordinates wrong? X Y Z, the Y is the middle number, and represents your height above absolute bottom.

Are you on an adventure map, or a non-standard map at all?
Klif

Post by Klif »

what version of minecraft are you on?
Tao

Post by Tao »

The absolute bottom of the world, i.e. the furthest you can dig down, is level 1 at which point you are on Bedrock which cannot be mined or broken in any way. If you were to stack blocks one on top of the other starting at level 1 the highest point your tower can reach (for all intensive purposes) is something like level 128. That is the total constraint of your world on the Y axis 1 - 128. Regardless what level you start on for each block you excavate and then step into the empty space should decrement your level by 1. Not really sure how else to clarify, is there something specific that is confusing you about your position height wise?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Lorini wrote:If bedrock only goes from 1-5 and I start at level 58 I really don't understand how this level stuff works. I've encountered both obsidian and bedrock.
the Y-coordinate will drop by one for each block you go down. i am on level 46 here, several blocks beneath the surface:

and i have gone deep underground to level 4. bedrock now.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Tao wrote:(for all intensive purposes)
"intents and purposes", btw
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm playing on the java Windows version of MInecraft. I get it now guys, thanks very very much.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

Klif wrote:
Yep; "Intents and purposes" is the more grammatically correct however "for all intensive purposes" is also an acceptable form and more colloquially known, I looked it up before I hit submit. :)
Klif

Post by Klif »

Tao wrote:
Klif wrote:
Yep; "Intents and purposes" is the more grammatically correct however "for all intensive purposes" is also an acceptable form and more colloquially known, I looked it up before I hit submit. :)
Nope, it's just wrong. Sorry, mate!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Any servers active? Looking for one for my 25 year old son and I to join. Explicit instructions on how to join because neither of us have play multiplayer Minecraft. Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Anyone running a server right now? I've been feeling like digging.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've been thinking about running a new modpack server. My top two candidates right now are the current version of Direwolf20, or Skyfactory 3 (which just launched). Both are from the FTB launcher. SkyFactory is a Sky Block themed pack -- I'd have to look into how to make it multiplayer where everybody gets their own starting island. I've seen videos and streams with MP SkyFactory servers that had spawn platforms with porters to each island. So I know its doable. SkyBlock maps mean the only stuff that exists is what you build and you absolutely have to get into mods to generate materials. Its definitely geared toward builders and tinkerers. If peeps are more into explorations and digging holes into existing terrain, then DireWolf20 is probably the better choice.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I have set up a new private OO server on my Raspberry Pi. i will send details to people interested - you can also let me know if you want to join and i will send you the server address.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

hitbyambulance wrote:I have set up a new private OO server on my Raspberry Pi. i will send details to people interested - you can also let me know if you want to join and i will send you the server address.
What version are you running? Is it vanilla or modded?
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Having given up on Civ6 for a bit, I'm back to playing Minecraft. Alas, but I'm doing the Project Ozone 2 mod pack. I'd be interested in playing this on a server, but it sounds like I'm the only OOer playing these mods.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra