Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Avenger

Re: Minecraft

Post by Avenger »

I played this game all day today. Downloaded it yesterday and today I spent the entire day building the most amazing tunnels. Vast areas underground areas of Lav,a Gold, Waterfalls. It was really great. Then I was walking around on my daily rounds, chopping down trees and the computer locked up hard. I could do nothing but turn the computer off. When I came back on my game was gone, The one and only save that the game had been making all day long was just no longer there. I am guessing that the game became corrupt. I really hate that there is no way to get back all of my work. Probably 14 hours of game play. All in that one save file.

This was an amazing game while it lasted.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

That sucks, but the good thing is you can start the game over and do it all over again with an entirely different map!

And, a word of advice to everyone: If you're making a tunnel to ride a minecart through, make sure it's not just 2 squares high. If the cart stops halfway through the tunnel and you need to get out of the cart, you will get stuck between the ceiling and the cart, take damage and die. 3 squares high or more - good; only 2 squares - death.
Last edited by Tscott on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

so I was roaming aorund and made some very long connecting a few island tunnels and died when I discovered a dark cavern, my stuff isnt there when I got back, do I have to hunt down the stuff that killed me or do I have to re-fill my inventory?
Some claim to be things they aren't.
Some claim things they don't deserve.
Some claim to know more than they ever will.
I don't claim anything, because no one would believe the truth anyways.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

Avenger,

I've had a few hard crashes during my play. It turns out that if I start a new save, the world remains the same, but I lost my inventory and my spawn point had changed. I've had 4 or so hard crashes where I lost all the gear on my person, but the world remained including anything stored in a container or furnace. I haven't had a problem in a while, so it seems more rare that it was. The save file size will be become corrupted when I do this, I think I'm at -0.1 MB or so now. :wink:

On one of his blog posts, someone reported a similar crash to what we've experienced, recommending that the view distance should not be set to the maximum. I've made that change as well, but I don't know if that was the problem or not.
neofit

Post by neofit »

I can't start the game in earnest. I can't figure out how time works in this game. From what I've read I start in full daylight and have to quickly find a safe cavern and some coal, otherwise I won't survive the night. OK, I've tried a couple of times on different maps. I run around for a couple of minutes to get the lay of the land. Then I hit Esc to bring up the menu (to stop the time) and check on the wiki wtf is it that I have in my inventory (NEED tootlips on the mouse and reticle dammit). I barely spend a few minutes alt-tabbed on the wiki, and when I come back it is already night-time in the game with green creepers within visual range.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

neofit wrote:I can't start the game in earnest. I can't figure out how time works in this game. From what I've read I start in full daylight and have to quickly find a safe cavern and some coal, otherwise I won't survive the night. OK, I've tried a couple of times on different maps. I run around for a couple of minutes to get the lay of the land. Then I hit Esc to bring up the menu (to stop the time) and check on the wiki wtf is it that I have in my inventory (NEED tootlips on the mouse and reticle dammit). I barely spend a few minutes alt-tabbed on the wiki, and when I come back it is already night-time in the game with green creepers within visual range.
You overcomplicate things.
1) Find a few trees
2) Get wood from trees
3) Make a crafting table
4) Make a wooden pick
5) Find coal
6) Create a few torches
7) Create a stone pick (really helps)
8) ???
9) Profit!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

neofit wrote:(NEED tootlips on the mouse and reticle dammit).
Yeah, this should be priority #1 imo. How in the world do you know WHAT you have made from the crafting table, otherwise? If the graphics were higher res, you could probably get by w/o tooltips if you could visually ID whatever it was in your inventory, but still. TOOL FREAKING TIPS.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

neofit wrote:I can't start the game in earnest. I can't figure out how time works in this game. From what I've read I start in full daylight and have to quickly find a safe cavern and some coal, otherwise I won't survive the night. OK, I've tried a couple of times on different maps. I run around for a couple of minutes to get the lay of the land. Then I hit Esc to bring up the menu (to stop the time) and check on the wiki wtf is it that I have in my inventory (NEED tootlips on the mouse and reticle dammit). I barely spend a few minutes alt-tabbed on the wiki, and when I come back it is already night-time in the game with green creepers within visual range.
Watching this video really helped me when I was starting out: How to Survive your First Night
Last edited by Tscott on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

In an emergency, if you really can't find coal on your first day, hack a hole two deep by one wide by three high into the nearest cliff face. When it gets dark, stand in the hole and put two blocks between you and the world, leaving the top space clear. This way there's no room for bad things to spawn in there with you and you can use the gap you left to keep an eye on when the sun is going to come up.

Alternatively, dig a bunch of dirt, find an open spot with no close hills. Look down, jump and place a dirt block underneath you. Repeat until you're on a tower 15 or so blocks high. Wait for the sun.

If you do find coal, surviving the first night is trivial. Dig yourself out a small room, throw torches on the outside and interior and either block yourself in or put a door on a 1x2 gap (I go the door route, as you can look outside).

Then you can explore all day and craft all night.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That is an extremely helpful video. The developer should post that on his web page to get people started.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I hate just digging up and waiting 8 minutes for the night to end.
I try and survive like a man.

I often die but it's so much more satisfying when you make it :)
Isgrimnur wrote:
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

If I get enough coal for torches in the first day, I try to find a natural cave to explore. Light up and block the entrance, then start scouting the place adding torches as you go. Just be prepared for the disappointment of just running into quick dead ends more often than not in that first cave.

I'll also gather rock and gravel that first night. BTW, gravel is great because you can dig through it quickly even with your bare hands, and its effected by gravity so dropping a few off a ledge can get you down deeper in caves and leave you with a path up.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

When exploring caves I always put my torches on the left hand side only. This means that when you eventually want to find your way out again, keep the torches on your right and you'll find your way back to sunshine again.

I can't tell you how many times I got lost in caves early on and eventually had to hack my way out.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Mr Bismarck wrote:When exploring caves I always put my torches on the left hand side only. This means that when you eventually want to find your way out again, keep the torches on your right and you'll find your way back to sunshine again.

I can't tell you how many times I got lost in caves early on and eventually had to hack my way out.
lol, I put em on the right side usually... I also have been known to carve arrows into the wall/floor to help with confusion.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Just had to pop in to share this minecraft how-to video that goes horribly, horribly wrong :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs" target="_blank
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I'm only laughing because I accidentally burned down my own house this week.

Although mine was carelessness - I had my flint and tinder next to my pickaxe and picked the wrong one.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is an excellent description of the Minecraft experience:

Semaj

Post by Semaj »

So as I fall through random caverns accidentally, I ht a spot where there is a giant green square hanging out on some lava. There are some cool red squares should probably harvest, but I dont recall hearing much about those guys.. so should I go in with my wooden sword and have at thee? :)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Semaj wrote:So as I fall through random caverns accidentally, I ht a spot where there is a giant green square hanging out on some lava. There are some cool red squares should probably harvest, but I dont recall hearing much about those guys.. so should I go in with my wooden sword and have at thee? :)
Might be a slime. I haven't seen one yet.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

Thats it, it was near some red stone and maybe some blue stone so I will be going back when I figure out how I want to not die :)
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

ok...not sure what I am doing wrong....but I had to redownload the program, but when i try to open it, it asks me what program I want to use, and it lists a bunch of programs.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

nevermind....guess I had to rename the file from minecraft to minecraft.exe
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

MythicalMino wrote:nevermind....guess I had to rename the file from minecraft to minecraft.exe
Where did you get it from? That's how it should have downloaded in the first place.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I can't smelt in SMP ... anyone else having that problem?
Isgrimnur wrote:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Vorret wrote:I can't smelt in SMP ... anyone else having that problem?
It can work, but it seems to be a bit finiky. I had the best luck when I placed two blocks one space apart against a wall and placed the furnace between them. That gets it facing in the right direction and that seems to be the key to getting furnaces that work.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Going to give this a quick spin. Someone was kind enough to post details on getting sounds:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... nd#p661912" target="_blank
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Shinjin wrote:Going to give this a quick spin. Someone was kind enough to post details on getting sounds:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... nd#p661912" target="_blank
That worked for me. Thanks.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Found diamonds and that red stuff for the first time!
Popehat, a blog.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Mr. Fed wrote:Found diamonds and that red stuff for the first time!
w00t! I know the feeling.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I'll never get lost again! Do you see the flaming tower in the distance over those hills?

No? Am I too far away? Let me hop into my mine cart and in about 20 seconds...

...I'll be home and we can get a better view from my patio.

Here's a view of the base in the day. Yes, it's a pillar of gravel on a floating block of dirt.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Your taste in art is grim, sir. Macabre even.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Your taste in art is grim, sir. Macabre even.
It's just representative of the life underground in the mines/caves that I live everyday.

In other news, I just found my first dungeon spawner. I haven't tackled it yet, because I didn't want to risk losing the diamonds and redstone I had just carefully mined, but lucky for me it was a spider spawner with just a one block wide entrance so they have no way to get out.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I have dug to my hearts content downward, i can find lava, red stuff, but no diamonds.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

I wanna try this out, but I can't register...
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Registering is down (among other things) until he gets better servers setup. Until then it's a "free weekend" and I think you can just download the .exe and click login without a user id and play until the issues are resolved.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I just typed Avenger and made up a funky password. I dont think it matters. As TScott said.

I am having a blast playing. It really is a good game. Seven more hours and I will jump in CIV 5 but I will definately be buying MineCraft.
Semaj

Post by Semaj »

I can see why its called "minecraft" I think I spend less time outside in this game than I do in real life when playing this game. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am sure "Mindcrack" and all it's iterations will be showing up soon.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Last night I successfully built my tower (which starts at sea level) high enough that the top level is in the clouds. Meanwhile, I think I'm getting close to the lava level in the tunnels below.

There's just SO much potential for modding and expanding here.
Popehat, a blog.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

By the way, does this make anyone else's computer run wicked hot? My laptop's fans run full-bore and it gets very hot.
Popehat, a blog.