Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Matrix

Re: Minecraft

Post by Matrix »

As i have previously mentioned, if there is not some excutives in large gaming companies are going crazy over it, i will be shocked and finally believe that we live in innocent world. One, he might get bought out, unlikely they will put him in as manager, since its a different type of job. What will be more likely is a lot of copy cats with different spin on this and way better graphics. I think he just stoombled into the nitch that wasnt really exlpored in gaming, and his success was explosive.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Matrix wrote:As i have previously mentioned, if there is not some excutives in large gaming companies are going crazy over it, i will be shocked and finally believe that we live in innocent world. One, he might get bought out, unlikely they will put him in as manager, since its a different type of job. What will be more likely is a lot of copy cats with different spin on this and way better graphics. I think he just stoombled into the nitch that wasnt really exlpored in gaming, and his success was explosive.

Yep. I hope one of the first things he has done with his new-found wealth, is hire an IP lawyer.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

If you get a snow world, turn fog on and you'll get some FPS back.

My snow world is slow, but so beautiful as to be worth it.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So there are no monsters in the OO world at night, is that correct?

And jeebus, what does a man have to do to get some bacon!? I pounded some pigs 30-40 times at least, and nada. Either they are pigs with invisible Elven Chain Mail +10, or I am not doing something right. Should I hit them with a block of wood, sand or my hand?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So there are no monsters in the OO world at night, is that correct?

And jeebus, what does a man have to do to get some bacon!? I pounded some pigs 30-40 times at least, and nada. Either they are pigs with invisible Elven Chain Mail +10, or I am not doing something right. Should I hit them with a block of wood, sand or my hand?
Correct, no monsters yet (hopefully in the next week or two).

There's actually an option to turn them on now on the server, but that would run into the other problem you noticed: Everything is invulnerable at the moment (except for fire). :)

Things like that are why most people haven't jumped too heavily into MP yet. Still just a few unimplemented features that keep it from having the same feel as the single player game.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I pounded some pigs 30-40 times at least
That explains all the piglets running around that look like you. :shock:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I knew that was coming. Just setting you guys up!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I had an incredibly fun night with this tonight. I started a new save and got a winter world. Near my spawn point there were a couple natural caves, one looked promising but dark, the other went straight down seemingly forever. Night 1, I hadn't found any coal for torches yet, so I walled myself in near the entrance of the cave in a 2x1 sized coffin and waited till dawn. Next day I ran over to some mountains and found some coal- not a lot but enough to get started- went back and made a gravel tower by my cave entrances for a landmark till nightfall and went inside the promising cave. Leaving torches as I descended, I was getting excited I might have found a huge area to explore, but instead found rock bottom sooner than I expected with nothing noteworthy found.

Next I tackled the bottomless pit. Digging a route around the edge I worked my way down to a large side cavern. I explored in one direction and found a waterfall and a lava flow (not exactly sure what I can do with those yet) and in the other direction I found a route that lead deeper down the bottomless pit and to a large cave all the way at the bottom. Through some digging, I connected my first cave to this series of caves. I found just enough iron to make a sword and a full set of armor. Good thing too, as I keep finding dark corners, and new hidden caves where monsters have spawned and I need to clear them out.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
mmmm

Post by mmmm »

neofit wrote: I wouldn't say that it runs on anything though. My office PC, on which I am typing this, has an Intel E2160 @1.8GHz with an Intel G33/G31 graphics card, more than enough for work, runs MS Office and all my database stuff perfectly, but gives me 4-7 fps on the lowest settings on this CGA-quality game.
It just needs a video card that can actually handle 3D. I've played it on an office machine with the exact same CPU as yours and it runs great-- with a cheapo ATI 3850 for the GPU.

Plunk a $30-$40 video card into anything > a P4 and you're good to go. (uhh, unless said machine belongs to your employer, obviously) - If anyone's on the fence about this, just check if your graphics card can handle Source engine games (Half-Life 2 demo or whatever) -- that seems to be a safe indicator as to whether or not you'll be able to get a playable frame rate in Minecraft.
neofit

Post by neofit »

mmmm wrote:
neofit wrote: I wouldn't say that it runs on anything though. My office PC, on which I am typing this, has an Intel E2160 @1.8GHz with an Intel G33/G31 graphics card, more than enough for work, runs MS Office and all my database stuff perfectly, but gives me 4-7 fps on the lowest settings on this CGA-quality game.
It just needs a video card that can actually handle 3D. I've played it on an office machine with the exact same CPU as yours and it runs great-- with a cheapo ATI 3850 for the GPU.

Plunk a $30-$40 video card into anything > a P4 and you're good to go. (uhh, unless said machine belongs to your employer, obviously) - If anyone's on the fence about this, just check if your graphics card can handle Source engine games (Half-Life 2 demo or whatever) -- that seems to be a safe indicator as to whether or not you'll be able to get a playable frame rate in Minecraft.
I tried that, brought my old ATI-9700 to the office. But the machine is a Dell Optiplex, thin, and only accepts half-height cards. Even the newer office machines and development stations that my company is buying are slim. The smart bastards. Minesweeper and Hearts run fine though.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

If I want to try this out, do I need to buy the alpha? Or is classic still available? Worth buying the Alpha?

Is it a huge pain to set up and make work?
Popehat, a blog.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Mr. Fed wrote:If I want to try this out, do I need to buy the alpha? Or is classic still available? Worth buying the Alpha?
I've only played for a few hours, so I'm not the best person to answer this question, but I'd say get the alpha, since that's where all the development is taking place. And it's well worth the 10 euros.
Mr. Fed wrote:Is it a huge pain to set up and make work?
No pain whatsoever for me. It just works, no set up needed.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Got it. Impressions:

1. Wow, does this thing make my laptop run hot.

2. Wow, this looks addictive.

3. You've got to be really careful digging in the dark, or you might dig your way into an underground cavern and fall.

4. Chickens are hard to chase with a touchpad.

5. Wow.
Popehat, a blog.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Mr. Fed wrote:Got it. Impressions:

1. Wow, does this thing make my laptop run hot.

2. Wow, this looks addictive.

3. You've got to be really careful digging in the dark, or you might dig your way into an underground cavern and fall.

4. Chickens are hard to chase with a touchpad.

5. Wow.
welcome to the club. It is crazy addictive, when i got it first few days, i spent wayyy too much time on it. and i would still have if i didnt have to work a lot lately. That guy almost singlehandedly brought a new genre to pc games. I like the future for us gamers.
m_s0

Post by m_s0 »

I wouldn't say it's a new genre. Notch just took the sandbox game concept and showed how it's supposed to be done. I've been playing the free version for the last few days, watching let's plays on youtube and it seems that I'll be getting this really soon. I wish I got into it a bit earlier, now isn't exactly the best time, heh. I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to buying it through paypal, though. I seem to recall he was looking for an alternative: how's that coming along?
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Public Service Announcement:

When exploring caves, make sure you pay attention to shadowy areas up in the ceilings of the caverns you're lighting up. If you don't, your "safe" return trip to the surface may not be so safe.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

An update is out, but it's beating the crap out of the servers. I'm currently updating at 0.39 KB/sec.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

AWS260 wrote:I'm currently updating at 0.39 KB/sec.
I'm currently updating at 0.03 KB/sec. Which is up from the 0.00 KB/sec it's been for the last 10 minutes.

EDIT: Uh oh. This isn't good. I get a grey screen and no way to alt-tab or Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it when I try to start Minecraft now. I don't know if I lost connection before the update was done downloading or what.
map

Post by map »

I was just going to post the same thing. And now when I try to reconnect I get the same grey screen. Crap!
I was at the same slow download speeds. I got to 98% and when I looked back---- grey screen.
Peace through Strength
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Yeah, I keep getting fatal errors and having to re-start the download.
Popehat, a blog.
m_s0

Post by m_s0 »

New info from the official site:
This is a temporary page.
Minecraft got way too popular for this humble server. I've had to disable everything fancy to even get it to run.

The following things do not work at the moment:
Registering an account
Purchasing the game
User verification for online servers
The following does work:
Actually playing the game
Player skins
Until this all gets sorted out, I'm officially calling a "free-to-play weekend", or however long this will take to fix. You will need to have a paid account to play it later on when this gets fixed though.
If you want to keep track of the latest developments, please follow my blog. I also post stuff on my twitter, but there's a lot of nonsense there as well.

/ Notch
He needs to get a few more people fast as he probably won't be able to keep it up all by himself for much longer. It's great to see an indie game get so popular, though. Notch absolutely deserves this success
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I finally got it working. I had to re-download the .exe file since the failed update messed up my original file, but it all works now. Yay for crouching. Now I might get a sky bridge built that I had thought about earlier.

And any fence sitters, now's the perfect time to try out the current version for free.
map

Post by map »

where did you go to download the exe. ?
Peace through Strength
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Winter Palace from my single-player game. I found this small lava flow near the spawn point, set up a small cave, and started mining. Now that I've gathered some materials, I've started expanding the base through the hillside.

map

Post by map »

Thanks. I had gotten it. For a while there i was getting 404 error everywhere I tried.
Peace through Strength
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

This is my current project, about halfway done.

Have to put the player's tunnel and dressing rooms on one side and then build a fancy walk-up for the fans.

Oh and put a roof on the stadium.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

After restarting several times, I started in earnest.

At this point, I have a secure large room with multiple tunnels leading into the mountain in different directions. I've been tunnelling down, stair-like, in one passage, and up, stair-like, in another passage. I finally found some iron in the downward passage, and just broke out into the air in the upward passage -- almost at the tip-top of the tallest mountain, which has an amazing view. It's high enough that clouds pass through at that level. I think I'm going to have to build a fortress up there.

Meanwhile, I've built a bridge across to a small sandy island, and I'm building a stone fortress over there.

Still finding very, very little iron, no gold, no diamonds. I have crops bearing wheat for the first time. Despite all my tunellling, haven't run into any natural caves this game. The exploration is lots of fun.
Popehat, a blog.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

m_s0 wrote:He needs to get a few more people fast as he probably won't be able to keep it up all by himself for much longer. It's great to see an indie game get so popular, though. Notch absolutely deserves this success
Are you him? :)
m_s0

Post by m_s0 »

Who? Notch? I'm afraid not :) Unless he's secretly a Pole without any knowledge about coding whatsoever :wink: This game just blew my mind and I wish all the best for a guy who singlehandedly managed to create one of the most addictive and replayable games ever
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Mr Bismarck wrote:This is my current project, about halfway done.

Have to put the player's tunnel and dressing rooms on one side and then build a fancy walk-up for the fans.

Oh and put a roof on the stadium.
Is that the new match engine for Football Manager 2011?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Are these eggs, now?
Popehat, a blog.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

m_s0 wrote:I wouldn't say it's a new genre. Notch just took the sandbox game concept and showed how it's supposed to be done. I've been playing the free version for the last few days, watching let's plays on youtube and it seems that I'll be getting this really soon. I wish I got into it a bit earlier, now isn't exactly the best time, heh. I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to buying it through paypal, though. I seem to recall he was looking for an alternative: how's that coming along?
You don't have to worry about Paypal on the buying end...it's the selling end where they screw you.

Not too long ago I would roll my eyes at the complainers, because I thought they might have been trying to screw people or whatnot, and they were getting caught.

Not sure if it's the result of the spinoff/sale of the company from eBay, but they will not be getting any more of my selling business after my current items on eBay sell. (granted I am a VERY small client)
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

It just occurred to me that this could be a modder's paradise.

Imagine this: a zombie mod. The main difference is that LOTS of zombies spawn at night. Moreover, the attempt to attack people, and can slowly chip away at doors, walls, etc. If enough of them get together, they are a threat to almost any structure. So there's a constant need to strengthen structures, or build them so that they are harder for the zombies to reach. Add further needs to go out -- a food consumption rate, for instance? And you could make it a lot more challenging.
Popehat, a blog.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

OK, after getting nearly killed in a cave-in, it's time to admit I don't have a firm grasp of the game's physics. Not clear on why sometimes a block above the one you are digging falls, and why sometimes it does not. Do some materials fall, and not others?
Popehat, a blog.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

Mr. Fed wrote:OK, after getting nearly killed in a cave-in, it's time to admit I don't have a firm grasp of the game's physics. Not clear on why sometimes a block above the one you are digging falls, and why sometimes it does not. Do some materials fall, and not others?
Yes. Rock tends to stay where it is, sand and the stuff flint comes from will fall into any available space.
Greyjoy

Post by Greyjoy »

Sand physics are actually a bit... odd. Given certain conditions that I don't know well enough to tunnel through sand comfortably, it will remain suspended. Remove those conditions and you will get crushed to death and/or drown hilariously.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Mr Bismarck wrote:the stuff flint comes from will fall into any available space.
Gravel.

Gravel is one of the main reasons they say never to mine straight up.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

And here's where I get to claim ignorance of an aspect of the game as well. I'm getting tired of hunting down pigs every time I need to heal, so I'm trying to farm me some food.

I've figured out how to find seeds and till the soil (slightly complicated by the fact the ground in my world is covered in snow). I read where you need water next to your crop to grow better, so I dug a hole and planted some seeds around it. And then looked for some water to fill the hole with.

I first head down into my cave to the nearest waterfall. Nothing I did could fill the bucket with water. Next I ran to the ocean and broke up a chunk of ice. Once it was water, I filled my bucket with no problem, ran back to my seeds and dumped the water into the hole. Only to watch in horror as my little bucket of water becomes a geyser, bubbling up, washing out half my seeds and running down the side of the hill before it's absorbed by the ground and I'm left with a large chunk of ice sitting above my hole.

So I'm left wondering why I can't get water from a waterfall, and why I can't simply place a bucket of water into a hole.
map

Post by map »

Farming for me works best in a body of water. In some order build dirt rice paddies in the water. Then I surround the "farm" with a wall one rock high and one glass block on top for a total of 2 blocks high[the glass lets me easily see the crop. Add a door. Now just create irrigation channels however you want so that every dirt block is adjacent to water. Hoe the dirt to take seeds and start planting.
Btw you can only bucket water from a calm square not running. Dig a big hole and add water then backfill or get more water.
Peace through Strength