Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

Re: Minecraft

Post by Rip »

I have a little but I have been distracted by NBA2K16. Kind of waiting for some inspiration to attempt something new.
Tao

Post by Tao »

My buddy and I have still been playing occasionally. Was out of town for awhile so did not log in for about a week and the last few nights I have been messing with learning the back-end under the hood stuff. Setup a couple of basic vanilla and modded Minecraft servers then built a Ubuntu server and added FTB/Direwolf to that.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Is it possible to do cross play between the PC and an Xbox One. I am looking on playing multi with my son and we have a pc and xbox one.

Also has anyone done split screen on the xbox one and would that work instead?
razgon

Post by razgon »

Reemul, I've done a lot of split screen on the Ps4 with my youngest daughter and it's awesome. Should be the same on xbox I assume.
Gone...
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

(Taking deep breath)

OK I don't get Minecraft at all. I really like other crafting games but I have no clue how to play Minecraft. Can someone point me in the right direction?

(embarrassed)

Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have only been playing Minecraft for a few weeks now so I am no expert but here is my take as a newb. This is a very open sandbox game so start small at the beginning. If you are feeling overwhelmed I would recommend playing "Vanilla" before diving in to the massive amounts of mods, although they do add a vast amount of content to the game. You can also play in creative mode to get a feel for the game and some of the mechanics without the element of pressure to move quickly to survive.

How far have you gotten? Have you been able to create a starting house, crafting station, furnace etc? Have you played Terraria, as the first few hours/tasks are very similar? Are you looking for help with the mechanics or just looking for direction on what to do once you can survive the first night or two?

Once you have a small house to hide in at night and have made yourself a bed, crafting station and furnace, equip yourself with a Pick, Shovel , sword and as lots of torches. Pick a direction and walk 15 or 20 blocks from your house and start digging your way down. I would recommend a stepped approach to start out so you can get back up to the surface easily. use lots of torches below ground to curb monster spawns. Starting out with wooden tools is okay but once you have some cobblestone ditch the wooden tools for stone. Your looking for lots of coal early on and if your lucky iron nodes. Once you have a few stacks of cobblestone and coal you can start alternating between mining and establishing your homestead.

If you walk around and wack on the grass nodes that are growing you will start to get "seeds". You can plant the seeds in farmland to begin growing wheat so you can make bread for food. You can also find fruit bushes and apple trees which are really good to keep you fed through the early part of the game. If you come across chickens you can kill them for food, same with pigs and cows. Killing sheep will get you the wool you need for your bed. If you get lucky and have a decent amount of animals near your starting location try not to kill too many as you will want to capture a few fairly soon.

Sorry this is a bit disjointed but I am not sure yet where you need assistance.

There are tons and tons of written guides and videos to get tips on just about any aspect of the game as well. Although it's running a mod pack you can always hop on the OO server to get your feet wet and I would be more than happy to jump on and help explain what I can although the other OO folks are far more experienced than I.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the amount of time it takes to boot the launcher and all the super extra mods for the OO server (~3 minutes!) is discouraging me from playing, i admit. i'll try to be better.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Thanks! I also found this guide http://www.howtogeek.com/school/htg-gui ... sson1/all/ I've gotten distracted and Anno is coming out next Tuesday so I'm not sure when I'll get back to Minecraft, but again, thanks much for your help.
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Did the server get retired? I notice its not up now.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Did the server get retired? I notice its not up now.
It should be back up. The IP forwarding got wonked. You can always connect directly to that IP i gave you if you want to verify though.

I'm in LA right now but I'm flying back home over night and I can fix or update anything for you guys tomorrow.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but...

I've never played Minecraft but my kids would like to try it. We got them Kindle Fire's for Christmas and I noticed Minecraft Pocket Edition is available. Is this a good introduction to the game? Is there anything I have to watch out for?

Thanks!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

there's nothing you need to watch out for in terms of inappropriate content. Do they watch any letsplay videos for minecraft? the safest person to watch is stampy long nose. another guy is called diamond minecart, but he occasionally swears and is highly irritating to boot.

I ask about the lets play videos because minecraft has kind of a steep learning curve and zillions of kids love it, but there's no content in the game, its a sandbox creation and survival game, so they will need some way of learning how to play it. The Pocket edition is a good intro though. You can set up the two copies so that they communicate over your wifi and your two kids can play in the same world.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Damn - don't seem to be able to download the 1.6.1 version via the launcher anymore. Is that still the version you're running? Is the server still up? I wanted to check in and see if anybody has been playing.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

McG2k1 wrote:there's nothing you need to watch out for in terms of inappropriate content. Do they watch any letsplay videos for minecraft? the safest person to watch is stampy long nose. another guy is called diamond minecart, but he occasionally swears and is highly irritating to boot.

I ask about the lets play videos because minecraft has kind of a steep learning curve and zillions of kids love it, but there's no content in the game, its a sandbox creation and survival game, so they will need some way of learning how to play it. The Pocket edition is a good intro though. You can set up the two copies so that they communicate over your wifi and your two kids can play in the same world.

Yeah my kids play mobile, 1 on Android and 1 on Apple no issues, the eldest also watches loads of youtube vids to get ideas and help with the learning curve.

They also play on the Xbox 1 split screen which also works nicely.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Damn - don't seem to be able to download the 1.6.1 version via the launcher anymore. Is that still the version you're running? Is the server still up? I wanted to check in and see if anybody has been playing.
yes its up. I'm done with my job in LA and I'm starting my drive home tomorrow. I should be back and able to admin the server on Sunday. I'll update it to the latest versions of everything too.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I really need to make myself a guide to updating the server. there's so many little tweaks to files and names and I cant remember what I did to fix what six months later. just say'n.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Server has been updated to direwolf20 v1.9.0

Its giving me a little trouble when I try and connect via octopusoverlords.serveminecraft.net:25575. If anyone can report back on if this is working for them or not, that would be helpful! Also, I can wipe the server and restart something if everyone wants to do that, for now its the same as its ever been.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll download that version and take a look.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I'll download that version and take a look.
I had to change the server port to :25585 to get it to work. no idea why. ocopusoverlords.serveminecraft.net:25585
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Logged in today and looked around. I got my power all working again - looks like an update killed my channels for power transmission via Dimensional Transceiver. Its all up now and I can give power channels to anybody who needs them to get the teleporters to work again.

Looks like my ME inventory is intact. I will log in later and check if my mining will still work with my sorter and processing lines.

Is anybody playing?
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I checked out my processing/mining line tonight and it all still works. The teleport network config from RFTools is intact and I was able to bamf on over to Rip's place. I have a few small but obvious gaps in inventory - so some items must have been removed. But I don't know what. It doesn't seem to be anything important.

I haven't tried to gen up another dimension with RFTools or Mystcraft. But everything else seems to check out. One new thing i noticed was some sort of creature that looked like a dirt block. it died quickly and I'm not really sure what was going on with it. I also killed about 5 King Slimes over at Rip's place. Ick!

I will check out the Nether and Twilight Forest zones tomorrow.

Anybody else out there?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Been quite some time since I was on. Will try this weekend.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Maybe I'll see you on, then. I did just take a couple of trips to Nether and Twilight Forest and everything seems fine. I've been cruising around my fortress looking for a project to build (that has appeal anyway).
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have started to teach my 8 year old basic crafting today. Luckily, she doesn't realize that the sword I crafted is why I kick her ass every time the tries for a player kill. That, and she starts giggling every time she's up to something. Usually, it's placing blocks in front of the doors.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The OO server has a higher difficulty in the early game due to the mobs added by some of the mods. Once she's up to speed on how to quickly get started she would probably be ok. I imagine we might be restarting at some point if the current server doesn't pick up.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've been checking in from time to time and have yet to see any other players. Considering that I set off a server backup every single time I log in, I am guessing that nobody else has been playing.

My recent tasks, other than farming, have been some cleanup on my excavations. I have also been turning the dirt/gravel deposits in the spire behind my fortress into little dirt ledges/shelves with small cavities behind them. I may build them into some sort of cliff dwelling or maybe honeycomb it into some sort of mini town or something. I've been considering building the custom village and trade center I planned to make on the fancy islands I built. I haven't had the inspiration to start that project.

I recently downloaded the Infinity pack from FTB to take a look. My starting seed has been fantastic and I've been having more fun doing that game for now. I think it would be a great pack to investigate if you decide to restart the server. I'm glad that it removes morph since I think the easy access to flight lead us to being too far spread apart to really have a community feel on the current server.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Did you officially shut the server down?
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I turned it off cause we were having bad weather and I didnt want it to get zapped. totally forgot to turn it back on. I can if you want me to. I actually didnt think anyone was ever even on it.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Nah, I'm done with it for now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i started a Minecraft server for my nephew who just acquired the client as a birthday present. i am loathe to keep the computer on, as it's a bit of an energy waster, i think. (i7 desktop with a 585W PSU - maybe i'll get a single-board computer as a server...)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hitbyambulance wrote:i am loathe to keep the computer on, as it's a bit of an energy waster, i think. (i7 desktop with a 585W PSU)
Your computer won't draw anywhere near 585W when idle. You're probably looking at the equivalent of leaving a 30W light bulb on, or maybe as much as a 75W light bulb.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i knew it wasn't the full capacity of the PSU, but i also didn't know it was that little power usage. i would share the URL of the server if anyone is interested in checking it out - the nephew is only allowed to play about 2-3 hours a week (and usually on a weekend afternoon), so it's completely empty the rest of the time. there are no mods, fyi.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I may casually play on a no-mod server.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Zarathud

Minecraft

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe after I can socialize my daughters into doing something besides spawning hordes of chickens into a box they've built around me while AFK. Who knew filling in exits and hitting critical mass for breeding critters would be the height of comedy?

For a change, they will periodically add a train ride throughout our castle.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

The Meal wrote:I may casually play on a no-mod server.
PM sent
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

hitbyambulance wrote:
PM sent
Thought I posted here... I guess not. I'd be interested too. Trying to find a cozy server for my 1.9 fix.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Stuie wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
PM sent
Thought I posted here... I guess not. I'd be interested too. Trying to find a cozy server for my 1.9 fix.
PM sending
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just tried installing Debian on a depreciated Samsung Galaxy SII phone from work, and it actually functions! then installed the ARM JRE and downloaded and ran the Minecraft 1.9 server. it's using 256MB of RAM (out of 1GB) on a dual-core 1.2GHz Cortex A-9 processor. it takes about 20-25 minutes (!!) to prepare the spawn area, i get a ton of sync error messages on the server, and when attempting to log in from the client, you can't see anything other than the skybox (no terrain is drawn) - attempting to mine what would be the 'ground' results in the server crashing. further attempts to start and login result in something like:

[Server Watchdog/FATAL]: A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)

hahaha ok, that was fun. time to look into an ODROID, Raspberry Pi or somesuch..

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... 3-on-sale/

once i get one of these, i'll have the server up permanent-like.

UPDATE: i tried a modified server .jar for low-spec systems called Spigot and with that i could actually log into the world and run around and such - however, due to the rather bad lag, i couldn't actually harvest any blocks from anything in the world when mining or whatever. (the block would disappear, but it didn't drop the block, so you couldn't pick up any sort of inventory.) going to futz around with the settings some more.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a server up most of the time (when it doesn't crash :/ ) - PM me for info.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

How many players do you have now?