Minecraft Multiplayer!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

Re: Minecraft Multiplayer!

Post by Lordnine »

McBain, I tried riding the nether rail to your area, looks like it blew up at some point. I almost died when I hit the damaged area.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I played this weekend with getting the server up and running with 1.6.4. I've been using our alt server MoButters as the test bed. I finally got the server to reliably start, but when I log in to a migrated copy of our current world all the trees from forrestry are made out of cloud blocks from the promised land, and all the flowers have turned I to blocks of honey, which I didn't know was possible.

Anyway, trying to figure out how to get it to map block IDs properly, I'm not going to attempt to do them manually.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Did you manage to get this to work? Haven't been on the server in a while because of the holidays but will probably be back with the start of the work week!
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Well I got it to work with no block ID errors, BUT now it won't let me connect, gives the JavaScript time out error and it crashes the server when it disconnects may log in attempt.
Klif

Post by Klif »

McG2k1 wrote:Well I got it to work with no block ID errors, BUT now it won't let me connect, gives the JavaScript time out error and it crashes the server when it disconnects may log in attempt.
I know nothing of minecraft servers, so I will merely offer my moral support:

YOU CAN DO IT! WE BELIEVE!
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

So I've given up on trying to get us to 1.6.4. Everyone has moved to Marvel Heroes right now anyway but our next server iteration will require a wipe to 1.7.x.

I'm also considering moving back to bukkit just to ease the pain of updates and block IDs. None of this is likely to happen for a few more months. they just last week started to release test builds of forge and bukkit for 1.7.2.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Cool with me, I think Lordnine and I hit the wall with what's possible in the engine and we'd be fine with a wipe.

For our next version, I'd like to put in my vote for the Tech World pack, which is a lot like our old one, but with a few additional tools that I like.

There's also the Ultimate pack, but it's intimidating, plus it seems to only work with even older versions of Minecraft.

Edit: List of modpacks that work on 1.6.4
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Im fine with this too, nothing Ive built so far is all that special.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Lordnine and I are experimenting with a new server.....

Enlarge Image
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

After much trial and error I made it to the moon!

Enlarge Image

I may have forgotten to pack something important though...

Enlarge Image
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

whoah NAYSA minecraft?
Tell me more.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Enlarge Image

Testing is going along great, I think L9 will be inviting people shortly. The mod pack can make jet packs, space ships, pocket dimensions, lock on rocket launchers, and a LOT more.

Edit: Oh, and wireless redstone senders and receivers. It's pretty awesome.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I broke the server so access will have to wait.

Galacticraft is the mod that lets you travel to the moon. You can also build space stations in orbit or go to mars. The mod lets you automate launch pads so it would be possible to build a travel system based entirely around rockets. A player would ride the rocket into orbit and then land safely on a neighbor’s launch pad. All you need is the rocket, power, some fuel and the proper frequency.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

That sounds cool as hell! That'd be so awesome to be a space monkey. In just looking at the features - that sounds like a wicked mod.
Sounds similar to what I wanted Starforge to be (too bad it's a train wreck).
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

We're open for business!

Enlarge Image

========================
==== HOW TO INSTALL ====
========================

Download the Technic Platform, and from it's main menu, select "Tekkit" as the mod you want and hit "PLAY". That's it!

========================
===== SERVER RULES =====
========================

When joining, we've made a visitor center to provide the basics. Everyone here has already had to punch down thousands of trees, so we're skipping that part.

So when you join, head into the nearby building which has been stocked with armor, tools and a low-power jetpack. You can use this to go find your first home.

Be aware of a few things: (1) Mystcraft is installed. It's very cool, but read up before venturing too deep! It's possible to get lost so badly that I'd have to delete your character to get them out of a pocket dimension! (2) Flux-infused tools are top tier on this server. They are included via Redstone Arsenal. (3) Thermal Expansion mod is where it's at. It will help you automate your mining so you can go build stuff. Here's a newbie guide on getting set up with some basic machines. (4) The visitor center area is all spawned items. Outside this area everything must be made legitimately.

========================
= Server IP: 23.24.155.69 = <-- Right here, server IP!
========================

EDIT: Also, ensure you're on 64 bit Java. Tekkit runs like junk without it, due to the sheer number of mods.
Last edited by ChrisGrenard on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yay! You're timing is perfect!

I spent hours, yesterday, watching ForgeCraft2 season 4 videos and making a mod list since I've been hankering to play. Now I can just use Tekkit and jump in!

Thanks!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Klif

Post by Klif »

Cylus Maxii wrote:Yay! You're timing is perfect!

I spent hours, yesterday, watching ForgeCraft2 season 4 videos and making a mod list since I've been hankering to play. Now I can just use Tekkit and jump in!

Thanks!
Dibs on 0,0. I've already scouted out the area (desert, volcano), and plan on fencing off a bit when I get a chance.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So getting started with Thermo Expansion is hard. We managed to make most of the basic machines but then we didn’t have enough materials to wire them together or fuel to keep them running. Lesson learned; don’t start making the machines till you have at least 2 full stacks of aluminum!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I can see the server - but it is stuck on the "logging in ..." screen for me.

Edit - it worked on additional tries then crashed after 2-3 minutes. Any hints on how you had to tweak it?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Make sure you didn’t accidently roll your middle mouse button in the launcher. It has to be set to Tekkik when it launches. Other than that it should work automatically.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

OK - well, I'll update my JAVA when I get home, and try it again some tonight.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

I highly recommend making sure you're on 64 bit java. This new version has so many mods that it'll tax a system, and 64 bit java makes it easier to run.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Oh, also, please note that this is running off a connection that I know gets busy 9-5 weekdays. I'm looking into some upgrades for this long term to increase the upload speed.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

64-bit JAVA was the key for me.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Server will be down for a bit due to being physically moved. (about 1 hour)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Server will be down for a bit due to being physically moved. (about 1 hour)
Thanks for the info. And thanks for hosting!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

It's up again. I've given it a dedicated network port, should help a tad with daytime lag.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Nicely Done! Thanks!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

We can now charge jet-packs. I feel that this is a great victory!
Klif

Post by Klif »

I let my new gigantic quarry (thanks again!) run overnight. When I checked on it, all the chests were full, the items in pipes were just bouncing around, and the quarry had carved out a 64x64 area about ten levels deep.

I made a void pipe and some diamond pipes and started sorting everything. Shortly after, I ran out of fuel.

Next step: oil!
Klif

Post by Klif »

Klif wrote:I let my new gigantic quarry (thanks again!) run overnight. When I checked on it, all the chests were full, the items in pipes were just bouncing around, and the quarry had carved out a 64x64 area about ten levels deep.

I made a void pipe and some diamond pipes and started sorting everything. Shortly after, I ran out of fuel.

Next step: oil!
Found!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

What are the barrel things?
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lordnine wrote:What are the barrel things?
............ Barrels!
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lordnine wrote:What are the barrel things?
Barrels. 17 iron ingots, easy to make. pump into them, pick them up with a stick, they keep their contents, lay them down and pump out of them.
Klif

Post by Klif »

See, I was exploring, looking for oil. I had everything I needed to pump oil out of the ground. I had a bed with me, so I kept sleeping to get rid of the night. At some point, I called it a day, and headed back for base.

Well, I finally saw my gigantic quarry, and knew I was home. I wanted to check on the depth, so I went in the quarry, underwater, to check on the progress. Level 36. Not too shabby. But, wait! I'm running out of air!

I shot up. Almost there. 5 hearts left. Nearly to the surface. 3 hearts left. I'm gonna make it! 2 hearts left. This is cutting it way too close, I shouldn't do this again. 1 heart left. Wait... Am I going to make it?

Death.

Okay, no big deal. I'll respawn at base, come collect my stuff. No worries, right?

Oh, no. Not today, Klif. That bed I had been carrying around to get rid of night? Well, since it was the last place I slept, and since it was no longer placed, I spawned back at the initial worldspawn. I knew I'd be fine -- I could walk to my stuff. It would be a long trip, but my stuff would only disappear five minutes AFTER that chunk loaded. Plenty of time to get there, load the chunk, drop down in the water, collect my stuff, and move along.

I grabbed a jetpack from worldspawn, and set out to my waypoint. I had about a seven-minute travel from worldspawn to my quarry.

Wait... To my quarry. My quarry.... why is that troubling? What is that feeling in my stomach?

Oh. I know what it is. Quarries keep their chunks loaded. I don't have time! My stuff'll despawn in four and a half minutes! I'll never get there in time!

I made a b-line straight to my waypoint. while flying, I set a timer on my phone for four minutes. Timer goes off, and my quarry is in sight. I know. I already know. But I have to try it anyway.

I plunge down into the water.

And?

Nothing.

I just lost a fair bit of supplies. Pumps, barrels, engines, all sorts of pipes, jetpack, armor, my favorite large backpack, etc.

Sigh.
abr

Post by abr »

Heartbreaking. But good story-telling.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Server no worky. Server no worky times three days! Klif go crazy no server worky! No Klif Crazy! No Worky! Crazy Klif Worky No!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I will inform the Chris. I believe his company network went down a couple days ago which is probably related.