Minecraft Multiplayer!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

McBa1n

Re: Minecraft Multiplayer!

Post by McBa1n »

ferment the trees? didn't hear of that - my lemon trees are low yield on sapplings right now. Fruit squeezed from the trees works great, though. The chestnut trees are 2x2, as are walnut, and produce a fair amount of sapplings and boatloads of fruit.
The only 3x3 I can think of off of the top of my head that I have is the Myrtle Ebony (no fruit, also). Lemon trees are 1x1 by default.

At any rate - feel free to bring a grafter over and grab some sapplings from whatever trees you'd like.
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, normal fermented saplings from one (smallest) auto tree farm are enough to power 4 combustion engines and one biogas engine. Mahoe saplings are supposed to produce 6 times the energy.

At this point all it costs me to keep it running is dirt and the very occasional fertilizer.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Lordnine wrote:Yep, normal fermented saplings from one (smallest) auto tree farm are enough to power 4 combustion engines and one biogas engine. Mahoe saplings are supposed to produce 6 times the energy.

At this point all it costs me to keep it running is dirt and the very occasional fertilizer.
Interesting. Something worth looking into. I do have a 'taller' version of the mahoe growing around my base. There may be some smaller ones, still - and they produce quite a bit of the sapplings. Help yourself.
I'm working on a 3x3 version of that, as well.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Minecraft: The Story of Mojang is up on youtube now. It's not a bad watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRgVo1X_18#t=0
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Its really cool to read about all of your biofuels stuff. I may eventually go that route, but I already have a huge stockpile of refined fuel that more than meets my needs. I also have a lot of beekeeping materials starting to pile up and may have to build a sizable tank for honey storage soon. I'm guessing that by the time I would (if ever) run out of refined petroleum fuels, I would probably convert bee products into biofuels. I haven't even begun to specialize tree hybrid strains. I've just been unlocking the major species to get the new woods to build with. Its all very complicated and fun!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Interesting reading into the fermenter and that. It's a good way to get rid of a lot of useless junk from bees/trees. In spite of bio gas being almost 2x as powerful as seed oil, it's just silly easy to get an incredible amount of seed oil in almost no time. The only thing I'm concerned about is the lava cost at start up of a bio gas engine. Only getting 3 MJ/t off of seed oil, it's going to require a much larger engine block - which would take more lava, which is kind of inconvenient to get, depending on location. I also am burning through lava like crazy with my smelter. Interesting reading about it all, though, and learning more. Incredible how much is available in Forestry.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

McBa1n wrote:... which would take more lava, which is kind of inconvenient to get, depending on location. I also am burning through lava like crazy with my smelter.
I've apparently settled in a lava sparse region, after digging underground for hours I haven't found any yet. I was thinking - maybe we could build a community owned lava pumping station in the Nether? Not sure all that it would require but I'd be willing to help out if its possible.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I can now confirm that Mahoe saplings are the way to go if you want to ferment them for fuel. They fill the fermenter about ¼ compared to a normal sapling at about 1/10th.

As for bio engines, I actually only have one, which powers the still that converts the biomass into fuel that my combustion engines use. I use the combustion engines in turn to power a rock crusher so that I can get sand from Cobblestone. My island has no sand on it so this is pretty much the only way to get sand aside from going on a long trip.

All of this happens in a single interconnected machine in my basement. I have a chest with pipes setup up stairs where I throw the cobblestone into so I don't even need to climb down the ladder any more. I'm pretty proud of this device! :D
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I've only played with a rock crusher a little bit. It seems to take a lot of power for what it produces. Still, if we have fuel to burn and need sand, why not?

Question though - are you guys fermenting biomass and using in biogas engines, or are you refining it to biofuel and using in combustion engines? I'm guessing that its a mix of experimentation.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

The way I have it setup is: Fermenter --> biogas engine --> Still --> Fuel Holding Tank --> Pipes to various Combustion Engines for Tree Farm & Rock Crusher --> Saplings deposited into Fermenter.

The biogas engine simply powers the Still. It uses the same biofuel pipe as the Still and this way it never cools down, so I don’t need to refill the lava.

I believe Chris’ next project is going to be to make the harvested wood from the tree farm sent upstairs to our coke ovens, which in turn already pipes creo oil into holding tanks and charcoal into storage.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Archinerd wrote:
McBa1n wrote:... which would take more lava, which is kind of inconvenient to get, depending on location. I also am burning through lava like crazy with my smelter.
I've apparently settled in a lava sparse region, after digging underground for hours I haven't found any yet. I was thinking - maybe we could build a community owned lava pumping station in the Nether? Not sure all that it would require but I'd be willing to help out if its possible.
I'm a dumbass and always forget about the nether as a lava source. It'd be real easy to pump a lot of it to a tank by the portal to my base and then bring it over by bucket. Time consuming, but pretty easy. 4 red stone engines on a pump works nice.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

McBa1n wrote:
Archinerd wrote:
I'm a dumbass and always forget about the nether as a lava source. It'd be real easy to pump a lot of it to a tank by the portal to my base and then bring it over by bucket. Time consuming, but pretty easy. 4 red stone engines on a pump works nice.
You could probably take that a step further with Tank Carts. I know I've also seen tank backpacks in the crafting library but I'm not sure what they are called.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

I just looked at the list and didn't see anything about a tank backpack. The tank cart isn't a bad idea, either. Tried a few different searches. That would be amazing to have an easier way to lug massive amounts of liquid between worlds.

It as easy to set up a pump at Hub layer in the nether and then dig carefully to a lava ocean below. Set up a tank by my portal and tossed 4 redstone engines on the pump and she's working great. Glad you brought up lava from the nether, Arch. Heh. So simple and so far from my puny brain. I wish you could use wax capsules for lava, I read for sure you can't. I'm wondering if the tin cans work. Sure you lose them, but it'd make it super easy to transport large amounts of the stuff.

That solves that issue with switching over to seed oil run engines (outside of the tedium of standing idle in the nether while the lava pumps)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

If you're feeling ambitious - there's a whole line of Infernal (Nether) bees. They produce simmering combs which produce refactory wax and phosphor. The refactory wax can be used to make capsules for lava and the phosophor can be used to make lava in a squeezer. So that would create an infinite/renewable source. Note that the high end of that branch also produce glowstone dust.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Cylus Maxii wrote:If you're feeling ambitious - there's a whole line of Infernal (Nether) bees. They produce simmering combs which produce refactory wax and phosphor. The refactory wax can be used to make capsules for lava and the phosophor can be used to make lava in a squeezer. So that would create an infinite/renewable source. Note that the high end of that branch also produce glowstone dust.
Whoah nice! I've never seen a hive in the nether. Maybe I'll go hunting. I thought those bees were under 'extra bees'. That'd be amazing. That wax sounds just like what the doctor ordered.

I FINALLY have a 'tallest' 3x3 mahoe made - have to analyze the sapplings to see if their sappiness holds up - it doesn't look like that's going to work just yet, though. Also made a Mahoe that produces lemons. Heh - nice.

EDIT: WOOT! have a 3x3 Citrus tree now - it isn't much for leaves, but it's max height. Good for farming Citrus wood.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I started working last night to reconfigure the rail lines to be protected from pig men. I'd be happy to spend the time linking everything to central nether rail hub. I like the railcraft stuff.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The infernal bees are not naturally occurring hive bees - you would have to setup an apiary/alveary in the nether and bring in the right bees to breed them from. First step is to cross modest and cultivated bees. Must be in the Nether and needs netherwort for foraging.

Modest + Cultivated = Sinister
Sinister + Cultivated = Fiendish
Sinister + Fiendish = Demonic

They all have a damage effect so you will need beekeeper clothing. These must be "created" in the Nether, I don't know if that means that you can run them in the overworld once created.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If Netherwort is the green dangly vine plant then I have some growing around my portal. If you build a rail line to me I'll let you have some. :)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Netherwort is a red mushroomy plant that grows around the nether. I have a garden of it by my place in the overworld. It is used for potions brewing.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Crap, I have an idea for your idea, CG - on a sheep launcher.
If you use your rail 'kick out' system, like going up to your portal from your base, per example, you can move animals via cart the same way and kick them out - and then with some well placed TNT on an obsidian cannon, you can fire them off. It will take time to tweak and make correct, but it's entirely possible. Animals are soft in the XP department, so I'm not sure - but hell, it's worth a shot. All it needs to survive is 2 blasts that are 'close' but not TOO close (standard MC Vanilla mechnics). That is actually a fun challenge to figure out. Haha, what an amazing idea.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

FYI, Chris and I have a villager who is selling Nether Quartz producing bees again if anyone is interested.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Lordnine wrote:FYI, Chris and I have a villager who is selling Nether Quartz producing bees again if anyone is interested.
Really? I wonder which species those are. I may have to pick a few up.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Lordnine wrote:FYI, Chris and I have a villager who is selling Nether Quartz producing bees again if anyone is interested.
Really? I wonder which species those are. I may have to pick a few up.
Monastic Bee
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Debris gave me 2 Monastic drones. I failed to get them to work with a common princess both times (same one). Real drag. From what I read, they are really expensive (8 emeralds + any princess). I was unable to find any good information on breeding them.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Chicken Killer works a bit too well, and Chicken Thrower doesn't work well enough. I think my next machine will be a pressure plate that, when stepped upon by a living chicken, will launch... hm... 64 chicken eggs at a wall. I think that seems like a reasonable number.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

ChrisGrenard wrote:Chicken Killer works a bit too well, and Chicken Thrower doesn't work well enough. I think my next machine will be a pressure plate that, when stepped upon by a living chicken, will launch... hm... 64 chicken eggs at a wall. I think that seems like a reasonable number.
I setup a clock to fire the dispensers. Let the population build up before you reopen the kill gates.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

WOOHOO! I got lucky and brute forced a Monastic queen using a Common princess + monastic bees. After 2 cycles, it would reproduce at least 1 monastic drone. After about 6 cycles, it made the switch.
Now I need to set up an Alveary and really put that sucker to work.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I need to get some monastic drones the next time I'm on. What do the villagers want in trade for them?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I need to get some monastic drones the next time I'm on. What do the villagers want in trade for them?
Mine want 1 princess +15 Emeralds.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

One downside of Monastics is getting them to make more than 1 drone - might take some clever breeding. I'm banging out Austere bees to get ready to move up the line, hopefully I can get on more Monastic bees.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Looks like Mojang's Multiplayer Session Service is having issue. Been up/down for the last half hour. Drag - was dialing in on Austere bees galore after a long morning of walking back bees and making them 'modest'. Monastics are pretty cool - they have 2 combs, but the good one is coming out about 1 out of every 10 or so cycles (the nether quartz one) - can't wait to move it up the line. Need a bunch more austere drones to take a shot - only have 1 monastic drone in reserve, so that's cutting it close. I'd rather give it some time and see if I can't get more drones. I think if I can rank up the Monastic with austere, I'm home free.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lordnine wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:I need to get some monastic drones the next time I'm on. What do the villagers want in trade for them?
I've got one dressed in yellow that only wants 1 princess + 12 emeralds.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Archinerd wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
I've got one dressed in yellow that only wants 1 princess + 12 emeralds.
Thanks man! I got another one to sell them by buying some honeycombs - 12 emeralds+princess, also
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Yay - some mojang garbage as yesterday. Le sigh.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Is there any chance we could get the Extra Bees mod?
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Lordnine wrote:Is there any chance we could get the Extra Bees mod?
None. It hasn't been updated past 1.5.2.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

McG2k1 wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Is there any chance we could get the Extra Bees mod?
None. It hasn't been updated past 1.5.2.
I found this. Is this not workable?
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

This version isn't listed on the creator's page and I can't find any references to anyone else taking it over or any forking. There are several websites that list mods as updated when they are not. I'm not sure if they're just running scripts that update mc version numbers in links so they get ad views or if there's something more nefarious in the download. :cry:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

McG2k1 wrote:This version isn't listed on the creator's page and I can't find any references to anyone else taking it over or any forking. There are several websites that list mods as updated when they are not. I'm not sure if they're just running scripts that update mc version numbers in links so they get ad views or if there's something more nefarious in the download. :cry:
I went to the forums, which are still very active. The last post was from today. Apparently 1.6.2 is a dev version of the mod. The guy behind the mod hasn’t been active on the forums since September so other people are hosting the files on mirror sites since the official website seems to go down a lot. As for whether or not the one I liked above is a legit version, I can’t say.
McBa1n

Post by McBa1n »

Server crashed - don't think it's Mojang, everything shows as working on their support site.