Minecraft Multiplayer!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Klif

Re: Minecraft Multiplayer!

Post by Klif »

Lordnine wrote:I will inform the Chris. I believe his company network went down a couple days ago which is probably related.
Ah. that sucks. Thanks!
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Wow, what a week. My office network got attacked by a broadcast storm virus, and that took a while to handle.

Anyway, it crashed the MC server, and I just now had the time to go work on it again. It appears that, for whatever reason, the DimensionalDoors mod has bad data. I searched the Tekkit forums, and this is a common thing. I've backed up the data for this mod and I've disabled it for the time being, until such time as it gets patched.

If you end up stuck somewhere due to this, just PM me and I'll get you unstuck!

Anyway, it's back up now!

-Chris
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Also, Chris may or may not have accidentally stolen someones horse... It is currently infiltrating our sheep barn if anyone wants it back...
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I started playing on a friend's server. The village that I am near wants wool. So I made a sheep farm. I wonder how many sheep it will take to crash the server. Nothing to do but try.
Still going strong for now. I do however drop a few frames when breeding them.
Enlarge Image
(Click to enlarge)
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Now dye them all the different colors and segregate the breeding populations! Then you will be a true Minecraft obsessive! :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Lordnine wrote:Now dye them all the different colors and segregate the breeding populations! Then you will be a true Minecraft obsessive! :D
Or maybe do that in the reverse order. :lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Question: is the server open to other OOer's, and if so, is there an updated post in here that lists the server info and what mods to use? I'd kind of like to check it out, since I've recently gotten back into MC a bit. Thanks.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Klif

Post by Klif »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Question: is the server open to other OOer's, and if so, is there an updated post in here that lists the server info and what mods to use? I'd kind of like to check it out, since I've recently gotten back into MC a bit. Thanks.
See this post for information
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s open to anyone on the forum or their family/friends as long as they are well mannered on the server. It’s been a bit of a ghost town lately though as I think most people are busy with other games.

Feel free to check it out, maybe you will spur some others to return.

You just need to download the Technic Platform; it will download all the mods for you and keep them up to date. This post will explain, it’s super easy.
Last edited by Lordnine on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lordnine wrote:It’s open to anyone on the forum or their family as long as they are well mannered on the server. It’s been a bit of a ghost town lately though as I think most people are busy with other games.

Feel free to check it out, maybe you will spur some others to return.

You just need to download the Technic Platform; it will download all the mods for you and keep them up to date. This post will explain, it’s super easy.
I bit off more than I could chew, and kind of stopped playing.

As always, give it a few weeks, and I'll be back full-force. Minecraft will always be the game I come back to.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Sad news guys. for those that may not have heard McBa1n is in the hospital. He was diagnosed late last week with stage IV cancer of . . . just about everything. There's a donation page set up for his medical expenses. I know a lot of you guys dont really know him, but if you can donate anything it would really be great karma.

forum wont let me link to the donation page for some reason. put it in my sig
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Just got word from pete's brother that he died overnight from a cardiac arrest. RIP McBa1n, you will be missed greatly.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Well fuck.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

That really sucks. You may want to let people know in EBG, I’m sure more people than just Minecrafers knew him here and might appreciation knowing.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I'm not at home, but when I get back in a 2-3 weeks I'm going to see if I can assemble a Peter Voelzke Memorial Server. Just for a little while Id like to showcase all of his builds in a kind of minecraft museum. He really did some amazing stuff. I'm not sure how far back I have server back ups from but I probably at least have the last 2 or 3 in local backups on my home puter.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

That would be a really nice thing. I'd love to see his builds off.

Can we add a burning barge going down a river or something? Or maybe floating lights in the sky?
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

McG2k1 wrote:I'm not at home, but when I get back in a 2-3 weeks I'm going to see if I can assemble a Peter Voelzke Memorial Server. Just for a little while Id like to showcase all of his builds in a kind of minecraft museum. He really did some amazing stuff. I'm not sure how far back I have server back ups from but I probably at least have the last 2 or 3 in local backups on my home puter.
I like this idea. I was thinking about something along these lines yesterday but didn't know if it would be weird.
Debris

Post by Debris »

Nod
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

its going to really take some digging to find some of this stuff. we've had soooo many server iterations and mods too. I think it'll be worth it though.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Sorry to change the subject from the memorial, but what is the point of having the "TooManyThings" mod installed? I can't take anything from it; is it supposed to be that way, or am I just glitching?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Klif

Post by Klif »

Not enough items is a fantastic mod. While in a crafting bench, look for something and hover over it. Now push r or u or right click. There a lot of intricacies and I couldn't play tekkit without it
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Klif wrote:Not enough items is a fantastic mod. While in a crafting bench, look for something and hover over it. Now push r or u or right click. There a lot of intricacies and I couldn't play tekkit without it
"r" is for "recipe" and will show you how to make it. "u" is for "use" and will show you what recipes its part of. "u" also shows you where it might be used as an input in a machine (e.g. as fuel), and that is pretty inconsistent since many machines don't register right.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Klif

Post by Klif »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Klif wrote:Not enough items is a fantastic mod. While in a crafting bench, look for something and hover over it. Now push r or u or right click. There a lot of intricacies and I couldn't play tekkit without it
"r" is for "recipe" and will show you how to make it. "u" is for "use" and will show you what recipes its part of. "u" also shows you where it might be used as an input in a machine (e.g. as fuel), and that is pretty inconsistent since many machines don't register right.
I would absolutely never have been able to make my ME Drive system (especially the 16m storage drives) without NEI
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

I've found a few of the world back ups that McBa1n had some amazing stuff in. Unfortunately without the same mods and the exact same block IDs there's no way to restore them to playable. it just ends up being a cloud of floating torches where blocks used to be. disappointed.

its also extremely hard to load them and know where anything is located.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I am sure in 85 pages this has been covered, but my daughter is asking me to set up a Minecraft server so she can play with her friend at home.

I looked at some tutorials online, but no joy, primarily because I am a networking moron.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to set up port forwarding to allow this to work? Just shocked that something as simple as MP would be so involved as the tutorials suggest! I wonder if I am missing something simple, for the most basic setup that my daughter needs.
2. They both need to use the exact same ver? Same mods?
3. Why, when I go to "whatismyip" website, I get one number, but if I go to "ipconfig" in Windows, and look at IPV6, et, it shows another number? Should these not be the same? I think this basic ignorance on my part of the IP (external vs. internal) is causing the problems so the online tutorials may not be working.

Thanks for any advice, guys!
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

My kids often have kids over and they play on a combination of desktops (my kids) and laptops (their friends bring over). However, its all done via the LAN. I assume your setup is that your kids would be playing over the internet rather than a LAN?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Correct
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Sorry, then I can only safely answer #2 and that is correct - anytime my kids try different versions and mods it seems to only work when we have an absolute match on both.

In terms of IP addresses, I usually just bring up my router admin and looks at the connected devices.

In terms of talking to each other in-game, we have had good luck using Ventrilo (but again, that is for LAN play).
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I am sure in 85 pages this has been covered, but my daughter is asking me to set up a Minecraft server so she can play with her friend at home.

I looked at some tutorials online, but no joy, primarily because I am a networking moron.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to set up port forwarding to allow this to work? Just shocked that something as simple as MP would be so involved as the tutorials suggest! I wonder if I am missing something simple, for the most basic setup that my daughter needs.
2. They both need to use the exact same ver? Same mods?
3. Why, when I go to "whatismyip" website, I get one number, but if I go to "ipconfig" in Windows, and look at IPV6, et, it shows another number? Should these not be the same? I think this basic ignorance on my part of the IP (external vs. internal) is causing the problems so the online tutorials may not be working.

Thanks for any advice, guys!
Everything I know about networking I learned because of Minecraft. Actually, I wasn't even interested in Minecraft but my son wanted a server and needed my help... so eventually I bought my own account to administer the server, and now I've dumped more time into Minecraft than any other PC game ever. I don't even consider it a game; it's a hobby.

Anyway..... your questions:
1. Yes, you need to port forward. This should be pretty easy to do depending on your cable provider. Most routers have software that makes it real simple. Post the make and model of your cable modem and I'll be happy to walk you through it, or you should be able to find a relatively straight forward guide on the internets. Some of the older guides over-complicate the process.
2. Yes - they will need the same version/mods. I would start them out with the current version of plain vanilla Minecraft just for your own sanity. You'll need the minecraft_server.exe from here to run locally on whatever PC is hosting the server.
3. Go to google and type in "what is my ip" and it will display your public IP. ipconfig is for internal use only. Edit: oh - you'll need the internal IP to determine the correct PC for port forwarding, assuming you have multiple devices.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

The most difficult part is getting it all setup and consistent and making it all play well together. Its a breeze if you use mod packs.

My best advice it to download the FTB launcher or the Tekkit launcher. Then pick a pack that you like and that supports the kinds of mods that you like. That will provide the consistency of the mods and all of the configurations and patches and item IDs. If you use FTB - they create master configs that are used by all of the supported mods and the individual packs are just different compilations and settings tweaks. Tekkit probably does the same. Make sure everybody has the same JAVA version. Have all the PCs download the same version of the pack if multiples are available. Download and host the corresponding modpack server on a spare machine or the fastest you have. Most hosting services will also allow you to install these server packs.

One advantage of running this way is that you can still control the configuration on the server and even disable mods without having to really change the clients in any way.

FWIW - the FTB mod packs also have a lot of corresponding resource packs (graphics) so you can bypass that crazy work too if you want the upgraded look.

I currently play on a local server of DireWolf20 Season 7 modpack which is based on MC 1.7.10 and is a great pack. It was released on Halloween and has had only one update so far. My only changes were to remove the aroma backup mod that I didn't need running and to disable spawning of all the pneumaticraft plants that I think are ugly and annoying. (I did enable the substitute recipes for making the seeds, though.) I also installed a script that disables squid spawning, which is a huge overpopulation issue in 1.7.10. All of these changes were provided in files by other users on the associated mod pack forum thread; I found a set called lagfixes. They were very easy to do because I just dropped the files into my config folder.

Edit: FTB released another update to this modpack, but the recommended is still 1.01. Mine is working pretty good so far, so I'm not tweaking until they add stuff I want.

Oh, I also installed fastcraft on both the client and server. Its just another mod to drop in the mods folder and helps performance a lot. It works separately for the client and the server - so mix and match or do both like I did. Its the only change I made on the client end.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks so much guys, good info. I may come back as issues arise if that's ok.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Here's another tip:

When creating a server world, you can generate several single-player worlds using the mudpack in that mode. Once you get one you like, you can copy it up to the server and set it up as the shared world. You will need to read/edit the server.properties config file to setup the world it uses.

You should probably turn on the whitelist function and then edit the file to add the player names of yourself, daughter and her friends. You should also add yourself to the oplist to make yourself a operator. That way you could teleport somebody back to the main spawn if they got stuck somewhere or trapped in a side dimension.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Welcome the newbie.

My 9yo daughter is really getting into Minecraft and has asked if she could play MP.
Considering what I know of most online multiplayer experiences, I think stopping short of smashing her laptop and burning the router to keep her offline was a sign of great restraint.

So now what? Is there anywhere I can "safely" send her?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Our OO server is safe but, unfortunately, I don’t think anyone has even logged on in over a month…
Klif

Post by Klif »

Lordnine wrote:Our OO server is safe but, unfortunately, I don’t think anyone has even logged on in over a month…
D: I'll always come back to Minecraft. But right now, my interest is in CS:GO.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bakhtosh wrote:Welcome the newbie.

My 9yo daughter is really getting into Minecraft and has asked if she could play MP.
Considering what I know of most online multiplayer experiences, I think stopping short of smashing her laptop and burning the router to keep her offline was a sign of great restraint.

So now what? Is there anywhere I can "safely" send her?
Ha, speaking of noobs, the friend in question who my daughter wants to play with, apparently let her younger sister play as well (online), and apparently got into a chat with someone, who called her: "noobwithboobs" or something like that. The kid is 6 or 7 I think (too young IMO to be playing online anything, with the general internet population IMO).

This is one reason I want to set up my daughter's own server, so she can play with just her friend, and maybe other friends that they know.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

There are some kid-friendly servers out there. DarkHelm is one that comes to mind that I have played on and was always impressed by the moderation. I think they filtered the chat as well so nothing nasty could slip through. In any case, I always try things out myself before allowing the pre-teens access; that's the only way to be certain what they are getting into.
McG2k1

Post by McG2k1 »

Anyone playing this? been thinking about having a go at it again.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

A few of us have been playing lately - solo games I think. They are discussing in the other minecraft thread.