Gold Old Games closes...no wait!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

WYBaugh

Gold Old Games closes...no wait!

Post by WYBaugh »

Well, this sucks:
Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team
http://www.gog.com/" target="_blank
Last edited by WYBaugh on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Re: Gold Old Games closes

Post by tgb »

I was just coming here to post this. I had no idea they were in trouble. There was a host of games I had been planning to buy during the dry season - this really does suck. :(
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well this sucks terribly! What about the deal with Triumph studios? That seemed like a big deal and they were planning to release Shadow Magic. It's also a little disturbing that people can't get access to their games at the current time.

How could they NOT have been making money? I'm flabbergasted.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sometimes businesses are forced to shut down for reasons other than profitability. Maybe there was some malfeasance. Maybe the profits all went into someone's arm or up their nose. Maybe Rich got involved :P .

I suspect it will be a week or two before we start hearing some version of what happened.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

This sucks. I hadn't even heard the slightest hint that there was trouble. Everything seemed to be going really well for them with the deals they had. Seems like there must be something else going on. I've seen otherwise successful Internet franchises die because of shady stuff before (such as people in important positions taking the money and leaving), so I wouldn't rule that out in this case.
Insert witty comment here.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Holy shit. I better start my archive downloading!

And, yes, this blows.

EDIT: Too late! I wish they could have given a more timely warning! I could have at least started downloading my fairly nice collection. Sad state aside, this is why I avoided digital distribution in the first place.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, I just opened their page to see if Shadow Magic had a release date and got hit with the bad news. That came out of the blue. :shock:
He won. Period.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

There's speculation that there is more to the story then just a shut down. I guess we'll have to see.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Something is definitely odd as they just announced that Codemasters sale on Friday. I thought that after the whole Activision promotion they had earlier this year it was a good sign. I know there was some debate over what they should be selling; I seem to recall some newer titles coming out via their service that had people confused. Perhaps specializing in digital nostalgia wasn't nearly as profitable as they thought.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Smoove_B wrote:Something is definitely odd as they just announced that Codemasters sale on Friday. I thought that after the whole Activision promotion they had earlier this year it was a good sign. I know there was some debate over what they should be selling; I seem to recall some newer titles coming out via their service that had people confused. Perhaps specializing in digital nostalgia wasn't nearly as profitable as they thought.
CD Project, the makers of The Witcher, own GoG and have scheduled a news conference for tomorrow. There are rumors they've been acquired by someone else, and that may have impacted GoG, at least in its current form. Other rumors says GoG will continue, but in a different form that supports DRM on their games. I guess we'll know soon enough, but it seems unlikely that this was about profitability.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's some speculation going around that it's just a really, really bad marketing stunt to announce the end of their beta phase/site overhaul

People, relax. It's just a marketing stunt. Worse one ever. I don't know who at CDP thought this was a good idea to drop the beta and go final in such manner, but he's a moron.

And yes, it is a stunt, CEO warned financial forums couple days ago to ignore what will appear on Gog site soon. .t. It's a mess overall...23rd there was supposed to be full blown conference (like the one in Spring, when they've shown Witcher 2 for the first time), but it was just annouced it won't happen and there will be online conference instead.

Anyway, bassicaly GoG is simply ending it's beta phase and going final, that's all. Some speculate it will get a standalone client too.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember something similar happening with Game Jackal. The original company that made the product shut their doors in January of 2007, in part because of some legal changes that went into effect in Australia. Three months later, SlySoft announced they'd purchased Game Jackal and it was now being sold/supported by them.

The shutdown was very similar. Up one day, then gone the next. Was there legislation passed in Poland that could have affected their business practice? Maybe they were purchased by STEAM? :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

More evidence it's a bad PR stunt:
GOG's PR man Tom Ohle has responded, saying, "As the message on the site says, this doesn't mean GOG is gone. We'll have more to share in the coming days. No need to jump to conclusions :)"
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

This is like someone punching someone else in the face, and when confronted about it going "what, it was just a joke!".
Insert witty comment here.
Freezer-TPF-

Re: Gold Old Games closes...no wait!

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I want to gutpunch someone.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
vlkm

Post by vlkm »

This has just made me sad. I really like GOG and check out if there's something new every few days. This last stunt (if it truly is that) has left a bitter taste in my mouth. There's lots of games I still haven't downloaded from them to backup. This has got to be the worst PR stunt I've ever seen, especially coming from an online distribution method, without any prior warnings. If they come back up I'll sure be more careful what I buy from them in the future.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good Old Games.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yeah, if they come back, all games get downloaded to the archive...hopefully without the need for some stupid client and/or DRM scheme (DRM for $6 games from 20 years ago? Seriously hope not).

I think it would be truly ironic to have to turn to...alternative means...to obtain the games I legally purchased in it's original non-DRM form.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Doh! I loved buying from them. I've been glad to do business with them, but I guess it must of been harder to make money off old games. Funny thing is, I just got their latest deal mail today. Man, that was quick.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
cicobuff

Post by cicobuff »

I'll just vote with my wallet and not get a single game from them again.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Scary - does anyone else (like me) have any UNDOWNLOADED games at other gaming sites? I've got to be sure in case others suddenly leave a SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE BUCKS message. If this is a hoax, it's not funny.
Last edited by JonathanStrange on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's a poor idea to pull a hoax that raises questions about your underlying business model.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

JonathanStrange wrote:Scary - does anyone have any UNDOWNLOADED games at other gaming sites? I've got to be sure in case others suddenly leave a SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE BUCKS message. If this is a hoax, it's not funny.
I just got this computer a month ago and there is hardly anything on it. I have about 100 games and they are *all* on sites like STEAM and Direct2Drive. I have a handful on GoG and Matrix and GamersGate, but as a general rule, I haven't bought physical copies for many years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

baelthazar wrote:How could they NOT have been making money? I'm flabbergasted.
Well, by selling games I already had, they didn't make a dime off of me.
Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Ok, ok, I've fixed that stuck "Caps Lock" button. We knew this day was coming. They didn't get any of JeffV's money, so there's that, at least. Now, I suggest we regroup and rendezvous at the predesignated vaults. Good luck.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I bought games I ALREADY OWNED just to not have to mess with Doxbox and various patches. Plus, I wanted to support the site and what they were trying to accomplish.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Some publicity stunt! They just ensured that I'll never purchase anything from them. :lol:

Now where's that case of New Coke I've been saving...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote:
We should go back and count how many times you've brought this same thing up when anyone even mentions Steam in the Bargain Bin thread. :lol:

Did you know that Borders doesn't make any money off me when they sell books I already have?
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Buatha wrote: Sad state aside, this is why I avoided digital distribution in the first place.
And why it makes me nervous. I have a few GOGs and I don't even remember which ones.
Jeff V wrote:

Only they got in and played with the compiled code to make 16 bit games run on XP and are now making 16/32 bit games run on 7x64. And it's worked for me.

Anyhoo, the whole thing looked like a conflicted message stunty thing from the beginning. But it still makes you cagey about what you're buying in to with digital distribution.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

From checking around the various forums, it appears that this may have been what has happened: CDP was recently bought by another company that turned out to be flat broke. Now, CDP may have sold it's stake in GOG to a big third party publisher in order to get out from under while they still can. Speculation is that it may possibly be Atari and they may want to slap DRM on everything. If so, my days of buying from GOG are over. Which would all be too bad because they were by far my favorite publisher. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Can you imagine how freaked out everyone would be if Steam went under and pulled something like this?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I imagine that thought has crossed everyone's mind this weekend. Granted, Steam has over a million people using it at any given time, so I don't see them failing, but the fact (I think) is that most EULA states that you aren't owed anything if they fail since you are merely "licensing" the software, right?

I became lazy with Steam/Impulse existing, and didn't download all of my games from GoG like I used to during my switch to digital distribution.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Buatha wrote:I don't see them failing, but the fact (I think) is that most EULA states that you aren't owed anything if they fail since you are merely "licensing" the software, right?
Correct. Steam's EULA and the EULA of games distributed through Steam state that you're buying a license to install and play the game. You do not own any game you have bought through Steam. If Valve were to go under tomorrow, they'd be under no legal obligation whatsoever to ensure that you had access to your games. Hell, the Steam EULA says they can revoke your game licenses at any time for any reason; they don't even have to go under.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
We should go back and count how many times you've brought this same thing up when anyone even mentions Steam in the Bargain Bin thread. :lol:

Did you know that Borders doesn't make any money off me when they sell books I already have?
You already have all of the new books they sell? Wow, you must be from the future!

I was responding to a post that was incredulous about how they could fail to make money. I suspect the retro gaming market is quite small, and smaller still is the subset of the market willing to pay a profitable amount for such old games. Add to that an extra overhead in redevelopment costs (I take it most of their offerings were modified to get them to work on modern machines and operating systems) and what is left is not exactly a gushing cash cow of an operation.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Buatha wrote:I imagine that thought has crossed everyone's mind this weekend. Granted, Steam has over a million people using it at any given time, so I don't see them failing, but the fact (I think) is that most EULA states that you aren't owed anything if they fail since you are merely "licensing" the software, right?

I became lazy with Steam/Impulse existing, and didn't download all of my games from GoG like I used to during my switch to digital distribution.
Read the EULA of any software you buy in the box, it says the same thing: you do not own it, you are buying a license.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I was hoping they could have acquired HW2 and SWAT 4 and optimized them for Win 7. Oh well. :cry:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Jeff V wrote:
Buatha wrote:I imagine that thought has crossed everyone's mind this weekend. Granted, Steam has over a million people using it at any given time, so I don't see them failing, but the fact (I think) is that most EULA states that you aren't owed anything if they fail since you are merely "licensing" the software, right?

Read the EULA of any software you buy in the box, it says the same thing: you do not own it, you are buying a license.
That is actually not entirely true.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

GOG.com has updated their front page message.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

ColdSteel wrote:From checking around the various forums, it appears that this may have been what has happened: CDP was recently bought by another company that turned out to be flat broke.

How does this even happen? If the company is flat broke, they shouldn't make purchases like that. There's a reason why companies go through bankruptcies and it's to prevent things like this from happening. In doing this, the parent company jeopardized GOG's future as well as CDP's. If I were CDP, I'd think there would be some way to sue the new owners and reverse the changes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

UPDATE 20.09.2010
First of all, we apologize everyone for the whole situation and closing GOG.com. We do understand the timing for taking down the site caused confusion and many users didn't manage to download all their games. Unfortunately we had to close the service due to business and technical reasons.

At the same time we guarantee that every user who bought any game on GOG.com will be able to download all their games with bonus materials, DRM-free and as many times as they need starting this Thursday.

The official statement from GOG.com's management concerning the ongoing events is planned on Wednesday. If you want to receive further information about GOG.com, please send an email to update_media@gog.com if you're a media representative or to update_users@gog.com if you're a user without a GOG account.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sabin Stargem

Post by Sabin Stargem »

I hope they keep to the old business practices after this, otherwise I will jump ship. I didn't like it when Impulse started to use DRM for their products, and I especially detest the stuff being used on old games.