Civilization V Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Exodor

Re: Civilization V Impressions

Post by Exodor »

Kraken wrote:It might be time to kick the difficulty up a notch from King to whatever's next (Emperor?). Has anyone else noticed that this expansion made the game easier?
I'm not sure if the game is easier overall but I think the diplomatic victory condition is kind of broken. I've been turning it off to make the end-game more interesting. I've also been reducing the number of city-states from the default number to reduce the amount of World Congress influence a civ can get from buying them off.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's the easiest way to win......buying off as many city states as you can. You always control the UN too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Are there any good sci-fi mods for Civ 5? Cannot wait until Pandora comes out and don't want to play SMAC yet again.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Must resist buying the expansion until I finish my Fundamentals of Engineering exam...
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Bakhtosh it be wise to leave the thread before you end up in a all-or-nothing war with little time for the real world.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote:It might be time to kick the difficulty up a notch from King to whatever's next (Emperor?). Has anyone else noticed that this expansion made the game easier?
I did that, but I had a rash of very bad starting locations and kept having to abort at some point. One was a 3-hex island! I needed to get some success back, so I'm back to King, playing as Babylon. So far, Siam appears to be the main competition with by far the most cities and alliances with most of the city-states. My economy is slowly improving and I've coaxed a few into my fold. I was too late in the religion grab, though, so I've been ignoring faith buildings thus far but eventually will build them to buy more great people.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote:
I did that, but I had a rash of very bad starting locations and kept having to abort at some point. One was a 3-hex island! I needed to get some success back, so I'm back to King, playing as Babylon. So far, Siam appears to be the main competition with by far the most cities and alliances with most of the city-states. My economy is slowly improving and I've coaxed a few into my fold. I was too late in the religion grab, though, so I've been ignoring faith buildings thus far but eventually will build them to buy more great people.
I'm near the end of my second game now and I'm ahead on all fronts. Score is double the next runner-up, everybody's friendly except the guy I just extinguished, I've got nearly all of the wonders. I can choose whatever victory I want at this point.

I think BNW made Civ easier across the board unless my first two games were both flukes. Definitely have to kick it up a notch and see what happens.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Confession.

I played a two-civilization game on Settler just so I could wipe them out and play in sandbox mode.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

FYI, they have a beta patch available to play with. It will come out this fall. Lots of new goodies, fixes, and balance changes.

If you happen to enjoy playing Japan or Germany, they got a nice boost.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oh bullocks, I assume this breaks my save.

Looks like a good patch, though. Reckon I'll be starting over tonight.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Limits the number of aircraft/missiles that can be stationed in a city. :grund: Landsknechts available to everyone even late in the game?

Saves work fine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

I read the patch notes and saw a lot of promising things (and a lot of things that were apparently an issue/broken before that I never noticed :) )

I sounds like the diplomatic win might be more difficult, which sounds good, as I found it too easy before. Better deal mechanics are also appreciated.

Will fire up my new Razer Blade tonight and see how it works.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Dedicated server added via SDK.
I haven't really been following Civ 5 news... is this the long awaited dedicated pitboss server?

I had a game with my friends all organized until I realized I would have had to leave Civ 5 running 24/7 in order to host it. :P
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Has anybody else experienced "render error" black-screen crashes since BNW came out? They were infrequent until the last patch made the game nearly unplayable.

The 6-page thread over at Civ Fanatics concludes that some graphics are pushing the GPU to overheat. Advice was all over the place. I finally turned leader backgrounds down to minimum quality, turned off one of the three general graphics settings (I don't remember what it was called), and gave my case a thorough cleaning, removing some caked-on dust from the fins under my fans. I also use Catalyst Control to manually kick my GPU fan up to 80% before I play.

My machine is running 10 degrees cooler now and I haven't had a render error crash since. I count myself as lucky; nothing worked for a lot of the people at CivFanatics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Is the CPU or the graphics the most important device in Civ V?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

dbt1949 wrote:Is the CPU or the graphics the most important device in Civ V?
I doubt its the CPU considering how each game is a giant peace-fest. I think my CPU actually gets *cooler* playing this game. At first I thought the extra whrrrr-ing noise I was hearing was a new fan kicking in, but it turned out to be just my extra cores snoring.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The render error crash is definitely graphics-related.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I have CiV - Vanilla.
I plan on upgrading to BNW soon, and the Steam Autumn sale has the Upgrade to Gold pack for $10 and BNW for $15.

I believe I need both if I want all of the content from Gods & Kings and the extra civs and maps.
but do I NEED the gold upgrade?
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Do you get religion and spies if you only add BNW? Is that what you mean?
I have but one advocate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Current game, I'm Gandhi, looking to win by building a peaceful, commercial empire based on tourism and greed. Everything was moving happily towards this end, when the Romans started revolting; apparently with the hopes of landing some coveted call center jobs rather than working as ski instructors or something. This occurred on a continent north of my core cities (my empire stretches across 5 islands). When the second Roman city was annexed, Caesar was getting all pissy with me so I decided to go violently anti-Gandhi on his purple-robed ass, and took Rome as well as two other continental possessions before allowing him to beg for peace.

Now I find myself with 5 cities separated from the rest of my empire by an increasingly beligerent Incan Empire. I tweaked him more by establishing a couple of forts along the border, but he is engaged in other wars and could manage a blustering complaint. Meanwhile, I've been building up along the borders, preparing for a blitzkreig assimilation of the Incan empire. I'm ready to rock now, but I didn't want to start it before work this morning so he gets a little reprieve.
Black Lives Matter
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I felt like playing a grindy wargame, and thought "I'll give Civ V another go - it's been a few months."

So I load up a game using the Antarctic land mass (get that new Srambled Continents map pack if you haven't - it is awesome), pick Songhai as my warmonger du jour, and off I go...

5900 years later, I have not fought a single war. Instead I'm blissfully playing along spreading Hinduism to the world (and forcing it through as the world religion) and buying off or rigging elections in city-states left and right. I *think* I'll manage the World Leader victory next time the vote comes up, but China is threatening a science victory, Carthage is slowly gobbling up other civs, and Denmark is attacking some of my city-state allies (threatening my vote total)....

Good times as always. :)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Help me with the UN vote: My first vote is coming up. I have a LOT of votes, but can't vote for myself or abstain. How does this work? This is a Gods & Kings game. IIRC, I need 10 votes to win, and I'll have 28 votes.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Bakhtosh wrote:Help me with the UN vote: My first vote is coming up. I have a LOT of votes, but can't vote for myself or abstain. How does this work? This is a Gods & Kings game. IIRC, I need 10 votes to win, and I'll have 28 votes.
Then you'll win, that's all :P
It's actually very straightforward, just vote for a random friend and that's it.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I don't want to accidentally elect my "friend".
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Bakhtosh wrote:I don't want to accidentally elect my "friend".
Why can you not vote for yourself?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I thought it said you can't vote for yourself...
I'll have to check it out in a bit.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm playing this again (with expansions) for the first time since the launch, and I'm enjoying it way more than I did the first time around. I don't know if it's the patches or the expansions, but this now feels like an upgrade to Civ IV instead of a step backward.

I can't recall exactly what turned me off so much originally, but I seem to remember being really annoyed with gold issues and the ability to build as many cities as I wanted to.

Remind me again, what's the highest difficulty without any AI cheating?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

wonderpug wrote:I'm playing this again (with expansions) for the first time since the launch, and I'm enjoying it way more than I did the first time around. I don't know if it's the patches or the expansions, but this now feels like an upgrade to Civ IV instead of a step backward.

I can't recall exactly what turned me off so much originally, but I seem to remember being really annoyed with gold issues and the ability to build as many cities as I wanted to.

"Prince" is the fair difficulty level with no bonuses to either side. I always play on King, if that motivates you -- but now that I've beaten the game with every civ (even the expansion civs!) I intend to crank it up another notch.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

That scares me.
I have but one advocate.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

JetFred wrote:That scares me.
Don't be afraid! Fear is the little death.

With 610 hours, Civ 5 is by far my mostest favoritest game. About time I cranked up the difficulty a little bit.
JetFred

Civilization V Impressions

Post by JetFred »

The difficulty scares me and you scare me. Whether it's because you play Civ that much or because you're that good, I won't say.

With only 100 or so hours in the Civ series, I would not ever win on Prince. I like to play so that I will win fairly easily, and I've played it like that ever since Civ 2.
I have but one advocate.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

JetFred wrote: With only 100 or so hours in the Civ series, I would not ever win on Prince. I like to play so that I will win fairly easily, and I've played it like that ever since Civ 2.
Ditto ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I used to only play on prince too, then I started reading a bit more on how stuff works then moved up to King, it's actually quite easy once you "get it", I suggest reading the strategy forum on civfanatics it's a good starting point.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Jag

Post by Jag »

Been listening to the Wrath of the Khans on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast (amazing btw) and I have the urge to conquer the world as the Mongols. Has anyone tried the Mongol scenario? Is it any good?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Vorret wrote:I used to only play on prince too, then I started reading a bit more on how stuff works then moved up to King, it's actually quite easy once you "get it", I suggest reading the strategy forum on civfanatics it's a good starting point.
Can you give us a brief summary as to why King is preferable to Prince? I tend to go wayyy down the rabbit hole anytime I go to Civfanatics.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Vorret wrote:I used to only play on prince too, then I started reading a bit more on how stuff works then moved up to King, it's actually quite easy once you "get it", I suggest reading the strategy forum on civfanatics it's a good starting point.
Can you give us a brief summary as to why King is preferable to Prince? I tend to go wayyy down the rabbit hole anytime I go to Civfanatics.
Oh I'm not saying it is, I played prince for so long and it was just fine. What I'm saying is once I started reading a bit more on the deeper strategy of Civilization V I found prince to be too easy and unless I got a thundra start there was no way I could lose, that's why I moved up to King.

And I agree, there's ALOT of info on civfanatics! I also watched a bunch of LP, I'm always amazed at people who can play on Immortal and win.
Isgrimnur wrote:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Try Deity. Piss off all your neighbors and see if you can survive with a single city (only). It used to be more challenging before they toned down the aggressiveness of the AI.
I lose a few and win a few.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Butterknife wrote:
wonderpug wrote:I'm playing this again (with expansions) for the first time since the launch, and I'm enjoying it way more than I did the first time around. I don't know if it's the patches or the expansions, but this now feels like an upgrade to Civ IV instead of a step backward.

"Prince" is the fair difficulty level with no bonuses to either side. I always play on King, if that motivates you -- but now that I've beaten the game with every civ (even the expansion civs!) I intend to crank it up another notch.
That's me...except that as long as they keep releasing expansions and mods I never quite reach the end of the civilizations. And I have >3000 hours into this game...but I always play on Marathon, so a game lasts a very long while.

Been taking a lengthy and much-needed time-out from it lately though.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So, you've played over three thousand games mostly on marathon, that makes what seven games you've played so far?
Those times I've played marathon games I think my save list is longer than the number of bots banned here.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949