Civilization V Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Civilization V Impressions

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Also, I think I just came across what happened in my specific case. Apparently if another player "enhances" their religion, that immediately cuts off the possibility of founding more religions. Pretty sure that enhanced religion msg popped up in my game. Crap!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Finally finished a game last night as the Germans. Man, these guys are really built for aggressive play. Prince difficulty, huge continents map.

Won via UN victory, because of my total dominance of city state diplomacy. I had enough delegates to just vote myself in, didn't even have to do any international diplomacy. I got some kind of upgrade where a trade route to a city state increases influence with it by about 2-3 per turn, so while the other losers were stuck having to do quests or gold/unit donations, I would simply run trade routes. Of course, I was also working on a spaceship and cultural victory. The AI has this wonderful habit of, when I kick his ass in a war for a bit, surrendering and giving up one of his good cities. Not one of the crap puppet cities, no. The good ones. It's great, I don't take a warmonger penalty since they technically gave the city up voluntarily. Notwithstanding the fact that I would have rolled them over with my panzers. Also, the "Hanse" is an amazing special building. +5% production for every trade route to a city state? Holy crap.

Didn't get to found a religion, but I was still generating a crap ton of faith, which (once I finished up the Aesthetics policy tree) I blew on purchasing arbitrary religious buildings and great artists/musicians/writers.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got God & Kings and Brave New World this weekend as they were part of a bundle discount and were already discounted so they ended up costing $6. Sold!

Anyone have a quick primer on what changes? I started playing a game and there is talk of pantheons and trade routes and now there is a copper resource. What does it all do?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pantheons are sort of like a pre religion state where you get some of the religion perks but not all.
Copper is just another moral benefit like pearls and cotton.
Trade route give you money for trading with another civilization city or minor city/state. They are by water or land (caravans and ships). Barbarians and warring civilizations can plunder them.
I have no idea what was added when so just ask as the new stuff appears.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks. I probably won't get to play again until the weekend. Sounds like I should try out a few games on the lowest level just to see how things play and then start a real game.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I say jump right in and try stuff out if you've already played vanilla V before. So much was added and re-balanced, and for me personally, turned a very poor iteration of Civ into one of the better ones.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I really enjoyed vanilla, so this is like playing a whole new game.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:10 pm I really enjoyed vanilla, so this is like playing a whole new game.
Oh wow. Then you, sir, are in for a treat (IMO). I'm sure there is a vociferous contingent out there somewhere in Civ land that thinks the expansions ruined the base game, but I am not in that camp.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The game crashed on me yesterday. It had been having so rendering oddities for about 30 turns and then crashed with a "failed to render" message in about the year 1500AD. My computer is only 2 years old but i was running under the DirectX 10 option. Should i only play under DirectX 9? Vanilla version never had an issue.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I couldn't tell you. I run mine under DX 10 & 11.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Never heard of that issue. Video card driver up to date?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I used to get some rendering errors with a particular map type -- don't remember which one. Sometimes it placed mountain graphics on hills, creating what looked like passable mountains. After a time it would start shooting lines or rays when I scrolled. After a longer time it would flicker even when I wasn't scrolling. I figured it was a memory leak. Never crashed on me, probably only because the maps became unplayable before then.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Somebody who's still playing Civ 5 needs to install this mod and report back to me.

Per Technology Review:
A Game of Civilization May Help People Understand AI’s Existential Threat

Researchers at the University of Cambridge built a game mod for Civilization that allows people to grow—and tame—a human-beating superintelligence.

The game: Shahar Avin from the university’s Centre for the Study of Existential Risk says the game allows players to build AI R&D capacity in their virtual world. Success is a smarter-than-human AI. Simultaneously, rogue AI risk builds and is mitigated only through safety research.

The goal: “We wanted to test our understanding of the concepts relating to existential risk from artificial superintelligence by deploying them in a restricted yet rich world simulator, [and also test how] players respond … when given the opportunity” to make AI decisions themselves, Avin told me.

Fear or acceptance: The project is also an outreach tool, taking “serious issues to a wider audience.” Avin is “aware” that it could could perpetuate fears about AI. He argues, though, that players “see the risk, but also see the range of tools at their disposal to mitigate it.”
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I'll be Debbie Downer here. As written in the mod description, all that this mod does is add a late game research tree for AI, and researching/using AI stuff gives you progressive research benefits. You also need to research/build adequate AI controls or your AI eventually goes rogue and your game ends. That's it. A way to increase your overall science rate with a single balance of researching or building controls. No "AI Civs" like you saw in SoTS.

If I am enjoying a 4x simulation all the way to the late game, I'm not going to risk that time for a simple round of Jenga.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I think they intended it more as a mini-game: That you would start out in the Atomic Era and explore the AI tech mod from there. Doesn't interest me because I always like the early game the most.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Sounds like another way for the AI to cheat and call it AI improvement.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Quick question re: religion spamming

I was playing as Boudicca if that matters, and maybe had 2 or 3 cities founded outside my capital. I see one of the AI players move something into my capital, and boom, switched my religion (one which I had founded, btw). What the hell?

I generate a couple of Great Prophets, and lay down a religion bomb there, and it does change it back for a few turns, to my religion, but then again BOOM, back to the other one that was spammed. Any thoughts on the best way to combat this once happened, and prevent it from happening again?

I know trade routes can make a big difference here, but I didn't see anything so one sided to cause such a massive effect on my population's apparently feeble minds/psyches.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Keep an inquisitor nearby or in the city and no more conversions.
The AI (and you too if you want) will send out prophets and missonaries to convert cities to their religion.
Inquisitors are not available until you have a full blown religion.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

STEAM updates this classic with an ad launcher.
Twenty-six pages of STEAM :x comments in less than 24 hours.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I noticed that yesterday. I just thought I had some sort of glitch going on.
It also screwed up my resolution.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay, it starts in direct X 9 now. There's a little triangle just below the Direct x9 button. If you click that you can choose X10/11.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I've been replaying this after picking up the Complete Edition cheaply.

FWIW, you can easily revert to the original ad-free Civ 5 launcher by using the following steps:
  • Open up Steam and navigate to your library.
  • Right-click on the game in your library, and select 'Properties.'
  • Click the 'Betas' tab.
  • In the text box to 'Enter beta access code to unlock private beta:' enter the password: ineedlegacyaccess
  • Click on the 'Check code' button.
  • You should see a confirmation message that access has been granted.
  • If not already selected in the drop down, select 'Legacy' and click close.
  • Steam may require you to download an update for the game. Wait for this to happen or force it using 'Library -> Downloads.'
  • Once the game has been updated, click 'Play' as usual, and you should be back to running the legacy version without the ads.
Also, to force the game to run in DX11, right-click on the game in your Steam library, select 'Properties,' click on 'Set Launch Options...' and just add the following: \dx11
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It worked for me. Thanks!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Out of curiosity, what direct x is it running in? Also, where are the ads, exactly? In game, or just the launcher?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Freyland wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 pm Out of curiosity, what direct x is it running in? Also, where are the ads, exactly? In game, or just the launcher?
Normally, you have the choice of running the game in either DX9 or DX11. And without using the legacy access workaround above, clicking the 'Play' button fires up a game launcher that primarily serves ads for Civilization VI.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke