Civilization V Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Civilization V Impressions

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote:So, you've played over three thousand games mostly on marathon, that makes what seven games you've played so far?
Those times I've played marathon games I think my save list is longer than the number of bots banned here.
I number my saves, so I know for a fact that I've played about 125 games that made it far enough to be worth saving. There were probably about as many false starts that didn't earn a number.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I just reuse the same savegames over and over. Garry1, Garry2, and GarryQuit...plus autosaves.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bakhtosh wrote:I just reuse the same savegames over and over. Garry1, Garry2, and GarryQuit...plus autosaves.
Same here, except I only use one slot to save in (and just save over it). Kind of a self imposed "Iron Man" mode...or something.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I tried that but it kept saying Garry1 was already in use by someone.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

What about Garry2?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He's in Fallout 3.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I was not amused to learn that loading even small mods disables HoF and Achievements.

I had starting scout and reforestation loaded on my large, archipelago, Polynesian game and now have to replay it without the mods to get my achievements.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I use the unlimited barbarian experience mod and still get achievements and such.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Wonder if there are "certified" mods that don't break the game?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't know. I consider InfoAddict indispensable, and that one alone breaks the scoreboard.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you look in you documents/my games/civ5 saves that'll show you games that are not "penalized" if you look in the modsaves and they're listed there then those games aren't eligible.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

dbt1949 wrote:I use the unlimited barbarian experience mod and still get achievements and such.
Wow, really?

That's one of my favorite mods (although it's a bit game-breaking) but I abandoned it after deciding I wanted achievements.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have finally figured out how to make the AI more aggressive towards me. I team up with another player. Nobody declares war on me directly but they do on my ally, dragging me into it too. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

dbt1949 wrote:I have finally figured out how to make the AI more aggressive towards me. I team up with another player. Nobody declares war on me directly but they do on my ally, dragging me into it too. :wink:
I've always found that playing with 150% of the recommended Civs for the map size you're playing helps. 12 Civs on a Standard map gets crowded pretty fast, and that usually sparks conflict.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Brave New World is only $7.50 on Steam for the next 24 hours. Bought copies for my two Civ-playing sons (not to be confused with my LoL son :roll: ).
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I recently bought the expansions and am playing for the first time since the original Civ V.

Everything was going well until I played at the normal level.

Late game my neighbor started dropping citadels on my border. Eventually had to go to war.

Is there another way to deal with stolen hexes? I didn't have any generals of my own. Destroying the citadel doesn't work.

I won the war, got most of my lost hexes back. (I liberated a city state who got to keep some) But it may cost me the game.

I don't think I could have ignored the theft. She took an oil hex and was moving in on aluminum.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Fitzy wrote:I recently bought the expansions and am playing for the first time since the original Civ V.

Everything was going well until I played at the normal level.

Late game my neighbor started dropping citadels on my border. Eventually had to go to war.

Is there another way to deal with stolen hexes? I didn't have any generals of my own. Destroying the citadel doesn't work.

I won the war, got most of my lost hexes back. (I liberated a city state who got to keep some) But it may cost me the game.

I don't think I could have ignored the theft. She took an oil hex and was moving in on aluminum.
As far as I know, building citadels using great generals is the only way to steal land from another civ except conquest.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Dang. Time to implement a pre-emptive doctrine. I saw the generals on my border, but thought nothing of it until they started stealing.

Thanks!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bump because someone has started playing again.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ah ha! Here it is - thanks!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

OK, after playing several hours, I have finally seen the light and made the complete switch from IV to V. Maybe in a few years, I will start playing 6. :D

I guess the additions of the DLC and patches made enough of a difference for this one to hook me as all the other versions before it (I had tried vanilla V several times and just never clicked with me, so I went back to playing IV).

One quick question, please: now that we are in a hex based system, I read in the Civilopedia that three three tiles out from the city can be worked...but that is not as easy to figure out as it was with the squares of previous Civs. And most importantly, is there an option to turn that on so I can see that area highlighted? I have almost all the map options turned on (so I can see resources, production, etc), but do not see one that shows the workable city area.

Specifically, I am trying to place a second city and don't want to poach my capital city hexes, and I see no easy way to make sure that my second city placement is not going to encroach on resources.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There's a mod called City Limits that shows the maximum radii when you have a settler selected.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote:There's a mod called City Limits that shows the maximum radii when you have a settler selected.
Boom! Thanks!

Now that I think about it, Civ IV didn't show the workable tile highlights either, but it was built into the settler units (even better IMO).

Another brilliant idea discarded for some reason, over the course of the series development.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Kraken wrote:There's a mod called City Limits that shows the maximum radii when you have a settler selected.
Boom! Thanks!

Now that I think about it, Civ IV didn't show the workable tile highlights either, but it was built into the settler units (even better IMO).

Another brilliant idea discarded for some reason, over the course of the series development.
Sometimes I think modability has made designers lazy.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

God, I have not slept much in the past week, thanks to this accursed game.

Sooo...if you guys (all of whom have moved on to 6 I imagine) don't mind...yet another question: The mechanics of the game are quite different from Civ IV obviously, so I am trying to get detailed, but basic information on "how things work".

'Carl' (of carlsguides.com no less! :D ) has a fantastic guide that gives you some extremely detailed strategies and opinions about how to play the game successfully. This is an invaluable resource, BUT it assumes the reader knows the basic functionality.

If I read the Civilopedia, it goes into very little detail, almost blurbs, of how things work (even when I look in the "Basic Concepts" section). I hate to be cynical, but based on the minimal info found there, I wonder if they wrote it with an eye to selling strat guides. :think:

Civfanatics is almost an overload of information. At this point in the game's maturity, good luck finding posts that deal with such basic gameplay issues.

So, just wondering if someone can suggest a source for this info?

Maybe I am looking for a "Civ V for Civ IV players" guide, but even the very basics of the game, in prose, would help me I think.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sorry, I can't help. I just played for a while and only searched for things that were really bugging me. I'm not a great player though - all my games were on Prince or lower.

I have a question maybe you can help with - I only ever played vanilla Civ 5. Is there a good summary somewhere of what the expansions add and which ones are worth getting?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Maybe this? https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/4 ... ame_works/

In the sidebar on the Civ reddit there's a section for "new to" Civ V, there might be more there, although Carl's is listed too so you may have been through them all. :D

If you really want to get confused, try the Community Patch Project or whatever they are calling it these days. http://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/co ... oject.497/

It really does make the AI a lot better, but changes some mechanics drastically. A few of which seem to have slipped into Civ 6.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:I have a question maybe you can help with - I only ever played vanilla Civ 5. Is there a good summary somewhere of what the expansions add and which ones are worth getting?
There are two expansions, and a ton of minor DLC like civs, maps, scenarios, etc.

The Gods and Kings expansion basically adds religion back into the series, and improves it quite a bit from Civ IV. This was probably my biggest initial gripe with vanilla Civ V as a Civ IV player who almost always beelined to founding one of the first religions. Interesting that they went with an acceptable (and IMO fun) religion component in IV (all expansions), to nerfing it in vanilla V, to expanding and surpassing it in V + G&K. The ability to REALLY customize your religion based on the perks you choose, which can be specific to your civ personality, or your land type, is truly awesome and fun. G&K also added some additional diplomacy and espionage elements (again, surpassing IV's take on both).

Brave New World, the second expansion, fleshed out the trade aspect, with caravans and cargo ships. Again, the added features here just blow away Civ IV's version of trade (and even vanilla V). Intra-state trade routes for food or production are an amazing add (think of an expansion city you just founded, that has little access to resources for growth or production) It also adds World Congress, and a culture victory condition, but the primary big change is on trade.

To answer your question about which one is worth getting, if you get Brave New World, you get all the game play changes from G&K, but not the additional Civs, Wonders and scenarios, if that is important to you. I personally would get both.

If you are only considering one, get Brave New World, for sure, but I would hate not being able to play the Maya or the Celts (two Civs that are included with the G&K expansion), two of my favorite Civs to play so far.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'd say play the vanilla version until you want more or can't stand it. No use buying expansions if you dislike the vanilla.
There were somethings I don't like about the expansions and I play my games without them. One is spies, the other is the world congress. I believe I had to use a mod to drop the world congress.
Oh yes, there are thousands of mods out there that can improve whatever version you're playing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pretty sure World Congress can be disabled from settings menu without mods.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the descriptions. Maybe the expansions will go on sale at Christmas - that would be a fun addition. I'm perfectly happy with vanilla as I have no idea what I'm missing, so it's not too hard to wait. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Did you play IV? If so, vanilla, or 'expanded'?
stessier

Post by stessier »

I played a ton of vanilla and then found out about Beyond the Sword. I loved BTS. I tried Warlords and Colonization once or twice each, but they never really captured me like BTS.

I enjoy Civ V quite a bit - or did when I played. It's been about 2 years since I go the chance, but your interest made me fire it back up. I have a new computer now and can actually play on full settings....it's purty. :)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stessier wrote:I played a ton of vanilla and then found out about Beyond the Sword. I loved BTS. I tried Warlords and Colonization once or twice each, but they never really captured me like BTS.

I enjoy Civ V quite a bit - or did when I played. It's been about 2 years since I go the chance, but your interest made me fire it back up. I have a new computer now and can actually play on full settings....it's purty. :)
Then in my personal experience at least (and I have read more than a few comments online saying the same thing), the two Civ V expansions did for me what BTS did for you with IV (and for me, too...LOVED BTS and what it did for the game). Actually they did more, because I already played and loved vanilla IV, then Warlords, so BTS was just gravy. The V expansions made me change my mind about a game that I had tried and was not crazy about before (thus kept playing IV BTS).

Especially Gods and Kings, though, which is more on the scale of a BTS type expansion (i.e. changed the game so much, and so much new content, that it could almost be a new version of the game).

Hey in fact, I think I received a physical copy of G&K for free from Amazon (and bought the "Deluxe" version on Steam later I think, which includes both expansions).

I will be happy to mail it to you if you want it. Shoot me a pm if so.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Picked up the "Brave New World" expansion for pretty dirt cheap during the steam sale, and decided to fire up a round over the weekend as the Germans under good ol' Otto von Bismarck.

Bismarck's special ability is that you get free culture from clobbering barbarian units and every time you stomp out a barbarian camp you have a chance of getting a free unit. So, as a result, I wound up having way more army than I could support. I felt bad about wasting it, so I decided to go to war with the Zulus. Now, the Zulus had a pretty crappy situation: they were jammed into two small cities within three hexes of each other on a small peninsula hemmed in by tundra and mountains. Furthermore, for the last however many turns, they've been denouncing me and sending insults non stop. I know, not exactly casus belli. So, I pile up my acquired barbarians on their borders and let 'er rip. One razed city and one overtaken city later, I'm so deep in the red financially that I start to lose units every turn and rebels start spawning in my home territory (due to occupation unhappiness) and wrecking improvements.

Got it stabilized eventually but man, being a warmonger is hard.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I like to play teams. 4-8 civs each. Always the civs I choose perform subpar when they're my ally but perform great when used singly or with another team. Very frustrating. I play against the AI.

Anyrate be sure to check out all the dozens/hundreds of mods you can use now. The Mid Earth is pretty good but the most accurate one takes like 6-8 mods to function.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So here's a weird thing that I can't explain - I usually try to found a religion, and was the Babylonians in this instance. Got a Pantheon relatively early (I think), and was generating pretty good faith from that....hundreds of years later...I realize that I still have not progressed to found a religion. I hover over the faith at the top of the screen, and it shows "0 religions available"! WTF man.

How does that happen, or how does that NOT happen in this case? Any idea why the prompt to found a religion did not trigger? The conditions seemed right, just not sure what step I missed here.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I always wonder about the AI Civs not having religions late in the game too. I usually generate prophets like they were fleas.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote:So here's a weird thing that I can't explain - I usually try to found a religion, and was the Babylonians in this instance. Got a Pantheon relatively early (I think), and was generating pretty good faith from that....hundreds of years later...I realize that I still have not progressed to found a religion. I hover over the faith at the top of the screen, and it shows "0 religions available"! WTF man.

How does that happen, or how does that NOT happen in this case? Any idea why the prompt to found a religion did not trigger? The conditions seemed right, just not sure what step I missed here.
There are not enough religions to go around. I think it's relative to the number of players in the game. Build things that attract Great Profits so you get them before others do.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote:Build things that attract GREAT PROFITS so you get them before others do.
Hmmm...so like markets, cargo ships and banks? Image