Fallout New Vegas

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Matrix

Fallout New Vegas

Post by Matrix »

Not sure why there is no thread about it, but it seems new Fallout is almost here. Release is on October 19th.

I think coolest thing so far for me is hardcore mode will use food and water. At least that's what i heard a year or so ago when the news about the game broke out.
It seems they are being very secretive about the game, and so far very few details are know, especially considering the size of the release.
Sarkus

Re: Fallout New Vegas

Post by Sarkus »

Actually, there is a thread about it . . . . :wink:

But yeah, I'm excited about it as well. Less then two weeks!
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Matrix wrote: I think coolest thing so far for me is hardcore mode will use food and water. At least that's what i heard a year or so ago when the news about the game broke out.
It will be great having this as an in-game mechanic rather than something a mod tries to paste on. I hope combat is a little less forgiving as well; that's another area that needed modding in Fallout 3.

Really looking forward to this; too bad the release is the day after my wife's birthday, and I've pretty much blown my gaming budget for the next few months. This one might have to go under the xmas tree. :(
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

It is released the day after my B-Day so this is my gift. I actually preordered it yesterday to get one of thepre-order bonus packs. I'm getting it for my PS3 because my rig is getting old and I can't replace it for a while, so I got my pre-order from walmart so I could get a shotgun that looks like it doesn't degrade with use.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

This comes out a day after my Wife's birthday as well and the cash would be better spent on her that week.

"Happy birthday Dear, here is a bag of Swiss Fudge Cookies."
"Cookies?"
Yeah...By the way, I'm busy tomorrow playing my new sixty dollar game I preordered."

And our wedding anniversary is three days later. I know I can make this work somehow...somehow...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wifey: What's that you're playing honey?

You: Oh, just a new mod I downloaded for Fallout 3.

And... scene.
KingB

Post by KingB »

Sepiche wrote:Wifey: What's that you're playing honey?

And... scene.
Winner!
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Mandeville

Post by Mandeville »

Sepiche wrote:Wifey: What's that you're playing honey?

And... scene.
Thank you.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That stuff doesn't work on my wife. This is how it would go:

Wifey: "What's that you're playing honey?"

YK: "Oh, just a new mod I downloaded for Fallout 3."

Wifey: "That's funny because Fallout New Vegas just came out and that looks a lot like the previews I've seen of that game. I'm not aware of any new mods for Fallout 3. Are you sure you didn't buy a $60 game without telling me?"

YK: "Uhhh-but---ummmmmmm"

I honestly don't know how she does it. She seemingly shows no interest in video games. I never see her looking them up or reading about them. Yet I can't sneak anything past her.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

you probably talk in your sleep so you ratted yourself out in the nights before. :lol:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
tgb

Post by tgb »

For some reason I'm just not that excited about it. Probably because I have more than enough on my gaming plate at the moment (despite what I posted about getting burnt out on Civ V yesterday, I started a new game this morning :grund: ).

I'll probably get it if it's on sale on Steam for the holidays, or even next year, but I'm in no big rush.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am almost tempted to wait a while and get a game of the year edition when it comes out. (if they get game of the year that is) Or whatever they end up calling the bundle with the expansions. I might not get the extra armor or guns but I think it might be better to wait a bit. I can always play vicariously through Arcanis.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
tgb

Post by tgb »

miltonite wrote:I am almost tempted to wait a while and get a game of the year edition when it comes out. (if they get game of the year that is) Or whatever they end up calling the bundle with the expansions. I might not get the extra armor or guns but I think it might be better to wait a bit. I can always play vicariously through Arcanis.
Since this is a stand-alone game and not an expansion, I doubt it will ever be bundled with F3 in some kind of "gold" or "GOTY" package.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've got tons of stuff to play at the moment (and a distinct lack of time to play it in), but I had so much fun with Fallout 3 I can't help but pick this up at release.

I'm probably destined to be disappointed to some extent, but I really hope Obsidian can take the great parts of Fallout 3 and add a better written, more dynamic story. If they could even put in a 1/4 of the awesome contained in Alpha Protocol's story I might never stop playing New Vegas.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I lost my momentum in Fallout 3 around char-level 14 or so due to the repetitive and boring VATS combat and tedious landscape. I think I put around 50 hours into it.

Vegas should offer a more colorful atmosphere and, I hope, improved combat. Instead of forcing myself to finish FO3, I may just grab Vegas once it goes on sale and maybe has a patch or two.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grand_Director wrote: Yeah...By the way, I'm busy tomorrow playing my new sixty dollar game I preordered."
Well, if you order from Amazon, it's only $49 -- and you get a $10 credit that can be applied to future game purchases. ;)

I really don't have time for more games, but I can't help myself. It's Fallout. In Vegas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

tgb wrote:
miltonite wrote:I am almost tempted to wait a while and get a game of the year edition when it comes out. (if they get game of the year that is) Or whatever they end up calling the bundle with the expansions. I might not get the extra armor or guns but I think it might be better to wait a bit. I can always play vicariously through Arcanis.
Since this is a stand-alone game and not an expansion, I doubt it will ever be bundled with F3 in some kind of "gold" or "GOTY" package.
Well I think he meant like FO3 had GOTY edition that came with all of the DLC at that point for less than if you had gotten it all at release.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Are the system requirements about the same as FO3? The screenshots look about the same quality, just with more color. :) My aging 9800GTX+ handled FO3 just fine, so I'm hoping I'll be okay for Vega$.

Dammit, now I'm tempted to preorder. I'm closing in on the finale of Dragon Age, and Civ5 is a bit too buggy and unbalanced at this point to hold my interest very long. I do have a huge backlog of other great games, but . . . shiny.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Don't know i got FO3 for ps3 too. my issue was the CPU as it requires a duel core and like 2.2 ghz which is where my system is weak at, I just can't justify replacing the cpu when everything else is maxed out but wouldn't hold up to a new game pushing the limits.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Are the system requirements about the same as FO3? The screenshots look about the same quality, just with more color. :) My aging 9800GTX+ handled FO3 just fine, so I'm hoping I'll be okay for Vega$.
I haven't looked, but I am pretty sure they're nearly identical. It uses the same game engine so why should the be different? If anything, it should run more gooder given the time they've had to optimize things.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've had this pre ordered since March. I'm hoping this is the game that Obsidian actually finishes because they are the ones that basically made Fallout 1 and 2. They've put perks back in and all.

And from Smoove's post..........
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Smoove_B wrote:
Freezer-TPF- wrote:Are the system requirements about the same as FO3? The screenshots look about the same quality, just with more color. :) My aging 9800GTX+ handled FO3 just fine, so I'm hoping I'll be okay for Vega$.
I haven't looked, but I am pretty sure they're nearly identical. It uses the same game engine so why should the be different? If anything, it should run more gooder given the time they've had to optimize things.
Thanks, Smoove. Glad to see they dumped the GFWL stuff and are just using Steam this time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's extra great that if you decide to wait, you can just pick it up on sale and just activate it via STEAM.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tgb wrote:
Uh, he didn't say it would be bundled with Fallout 3, I think he's assuming Vegas will get its own expansion packs :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Arcanis wrote:
tgb wrote:
Well I think he meant like FO3 had GOTY edition that came with all of the DLC at that point for less than if you had gotten it all at release.

Arcanis can read my mind it is convenient sometimes. But yea, he is correct. I meant that I will wait until New Vegas gets it's own expansions and then releases a bundle just like F3 did. With how much F3 moved around with the expansions it wouldn't surprise me if someone did make the mistake of thinking this was just another expansion.

I have F3 as well and am almost done, I am trying to explore the entire map since that was my level 20 "feat".
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:It's extra great that if you decide to wait, you can just pick it up on sale and just activate it via STEAM.
Can it be activated on Steam no matter where you purchase it? I have some credit on D2D but would love to have it in Steam.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As far as I know. Just like Civ 5, because it uses STEAM as the DRM you are able to associate the title with them no matter where you purchased it from.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Smoove_B wrote:As far as I know. Just like Civ 5, because it uses STEAM as the DRM you are able to associate the title with them no matter where you purchased it from.
Yep. The downside is that you can't play on release day until Steam activates their servers for it, and right now the countdown clock points to 10AM PST/1PM EST for that. Which makes the midnight openings that GameStop is doing somewhat of a misleading deal for PC buyers. Unless something changes, PS3 and 360 buyers will get to start playing it earlier.

I posed a question about the Steam unlock on the official boards but a mod kind of blew the question off and nobody official ever responded.
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Sepiche wrote:I'm probably destined to be disappointed to some extent, but I really hope Obsidian can take the great parts of Fallout 3 and add a better written, more dynamic story. If they could even put in a 1/4 of the awesome contained in Alpha Protocol's story I might never stop playing New Vegas.
There are a couple of recent pieces where they talk about what they are trying to do with the game, neither of which is spoilerish. First, Chris Avellone talks about their general approach here. And then the creative lead talks about how he prepared for the game in this GameSpot article.

Both have me feeling pretty optimistic. :D
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Arcanis wrote:It is released the day after my B-Day so this is my gift. I actually preordered it yesterday to get one of thepre-order bonus packs. I'm getting it for my PS3 because my rig is getting old and I can't replace it for a while, so I got my pre-order from walmart so I could get a shotgun that looks like it doesn't degrade with use.

My B-day is the 19th .........

Is this a complete new game or add-on to FallOut 3? Nevermind..I saw my answer a couple posts down....
Black Lives Matter
neofit

Post by neofit »

miltonite wrote:
Arcanis wrote:
tgb wrote:
miltonite wrote:I meant that I will wait until New Vegas gets it's own expansions and then releases a bundle just like F3 did.
Of course this would be the smart thing to do.

Nevertheless... I have a large backlog. On the 12th I am getting Gothic 4. On the 21st it's Two Worlds 2. On the 22nd Fallout NV. Come on, it's Fallout, the rest can wait. (and it's the first time I am hoping for a game to be short - I'd rather finish G4 before Fallout comes out, rather than having to resume playing a few weeks later having forgotten most of what had happened :) )
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Coincidentally on Release of New Vegas, i will be in Vegas.... i guess i have to buy it now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

With a 10 dollar credit on D2D and the 15 percent off code "rockinaction" I preordered the game for 35 bucks this morning. Now I just have to play the waiting game...
He won. Period.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I think I've almost decided to get this on my PC instead of my PS3 or 360.

I have an i7 2.66ghz with 6 GB RAM and 2 GeForce 280 cards running in SLI. Now this doesn't give my any kind of Direct X 11 support, but I'm not sure this game supports it anyway...

Is my computer adequate to make it look at least as good as it would on a game system?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Is my computer adequate to make it look at least as good as it would on a game system?
Even a semi-dated PC can run games at higher quality than than the current consoles. So, yes, I think you will be fine. 8-)
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Since I'm getting pretty excited about this game :lol: , I wandered over to NMA for the first time in awhile and saw a couple of interesting things. The first was that apparently someone posted the first 10 minutes of New Vegas on Youtube last week (it got pulled pretty quick, obviously) but it's interesting that some version of it is already in the wild. The second interesting thing is that they have the CE comic scanned already. It's not spoilerish, but it's also not what I was expecting from a Fallout comic.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I should be more interested considering how much Fallout I've played but maybe that's the reason why: I'm burned out.

I'd still am interesting in any new gameplay aspects once the game is out though.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I will definitely buy it if it is certified to run on Windows 7 64-bit. Unfortunately, the DVD FO3 GOTY does not. Neither does my Steam non-GOTY version. Its the original reason that I have an XP/WIN7 dual-boot. FWIW, it worked fine on Vista 64.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cylus Maxii wrote:I will definitely buy it if it is certified to run on Windows 7 64-bit. Unfortunately, the DVD FO3 GOTY does not. Neither does my Steam non-GOTY version. Its the original reason that I have an XP/WIN7 dual-boot. FWIW, it worked fine on Vista 64.
You running it on a quad core?

I've had no issues with FO3 on my windows 7 ultimate 64 bit after this fix. Runs like a champ.
He won. Period.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Only about a week to go, and I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control. I think I like it.

I've had no problems running Fallout 3 on my win7 64 bit system either. I only have the original CD too. Dual core though. Not quad. It runs like a chimp on my system also.