World of Tanks

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Greybriar

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Greybriar »

Just a heads-up. The El Alamein Special is scheduled for this weekend, October 21 – 23. No details are available yet, but the vehicles featured will be:

USA:
  • T25 - AT
    M36 Slugger
    M3 Lee
    M7 Priest
German:
  • Hetzer
    PzKpfw III
    VK 3002 (DB)
    Grille
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For those still playing...I just got back into it this week...go to your account and register the code NEWYEARNA just like that and in caps and you will get a free premium tank. A pretty good little Soviet one. It's pretty cool and in demand. Called a Tetrarch.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tetrarch was a British light tank that was already outdated by the middle of the war. I guess this is Lend-Lease.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

haha ya. far as I know they only gave Russia about 10 or 100...not sure which number is right.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote:For those still playing...I just got back into it this week...go to your account and register the code NEWYEARNA just like that and in caps and you will get a free premium tank. A pretty good little Soviet one. It's pretty cool and in demand. Called a Tetrarch.
Where exactly do you enter this code?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On the webpage. Go to the WoT webpage and login then click your name at top right and choose to enter a gaming code or whatever it's listed as then type in code . When you go to your game it will already be in your garage.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote:On the webpage. Go to the WoT webpage and login then click your name at top right and choose to enter a gaming code or whatever it's listed as then type in code . When you go to your game it will already be in your garage.
Thanks!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Apollo wrote:
Daehawk wrote:On the webpage. Go to the WoT webpage and login then click your name at top right and choose to enter a gaming code or whatever it's listed as then type in code . When you go to your game it will already be in your garage.
Thanks!
You're welcome! :)
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

I've been having a blast with this little game. I've got"

M12
Sherman
VK2801 (fast scout!)
and I'm working up the german lines towards my first heavy.

I really like the SPG's on the right map.
Against everything bad.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Free Tier 3 Russian light Tank T-127, a garage slot, and 24 hours of premium if you give an e-mail address to a German computer magazine website (offer ends 1/31). The tank is pretty mediocre since the gun is not very good so I sold it for the garage space plus 170k in credits. Been messing with the game for the first time since the end of beta when my account was somehow lost from their server. The 'luck' factor is still annoying at times but it's nice that the battles have better Tier groupings.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does anyone know Ola's last name from Wargaming TV?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a damn great deal going on right now.....I just ordered mine...

http://historynetshop.com/ag1201.html" target="_blank

For $10 you get the magazine + 750 gold + a free minimaus tank + a free garage slot + 1 month of premium. Awesome!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just in case it hasn't been posted or not known about there is a great TOR site called TORHEAD Really helped me out tonight.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I haven't logged in in a long time - so out of curiosity, has anything been done to address being a Tier V/VI tank and facing off against mostly Tier VII and VIII tanks? Is there some sanity in the matchmaker yet?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Just in case it hasn't been posted or not known about there is a great TOR site called TORHEAD Really helped me out tonight.
Great link. I've had nothing but problems taking my Tier III up against AT-ATs.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whoopss. Was half asleep when I posted that.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It could be my imagination, but the matchmaker does seem a little more sane. I've been playing for several evenings now and haven't felt constantly screwed in my rounds, which is very nice. That doesn't stop me from showing up in a Tier VIII fight with my KV as the "scout" once or twice, but it's not happening all the damn time anymore. I find myself pretty evenly mixed into the ranks.

The new 'Premium' tanks for new years and the magazine website helped round out my ranks, thankfully. I had the T-34, KV, KV-3, StuGIII, and T-50 going before, and adding in a Tier II Tetrarch and Tier III T-127 gave me the opportunity for more fun light fights instead of constant slogfests. The Tetrarch 'feels' like a T-46, but it doesn't quite have the same magic for me; it's close enough that I'm happy with it. It's even got my old T-46 crew loaded in and working back up to 100%.

I did get the T-34 to Elite and dropped it like a diseased slug, and am saving up for the T-34-85 which is simply the next step. I had been doing German TD, American SPG, and USSR Tanks as my goals - and might throw in French Mediums instead of the USSR Mediums - just so I'm in every nationality somewhere.

It was also double-nice to get that free French Tier I with a garage slot. 3 battles got it to Elite and I dumped it for a M7 Priest so I can continue down the SPG line. With the T-34 gone, I can resume my Medium path into the French lines, perhaps.

I've yet to stop being confused by the French Light tanks in higher tiers - they're surprisingly hard to kill with anything but a Heavy. Whenever I run into them I keep getting my arse handed to me by simple virtue of underestimating that "Light" tank I see on my minimap ... :roll:

If I'm reading it correctly, I also want to try and get my KV-3 and KV to "Elite" before some patch coming down the road - having both with earn me two additional Garage slots and two free Heavy tanks to go with it, and if my Crews are 100%, I should get freebies of those as well. I just got damn lucky when I picked USSR for tanks.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Battle of Kasserine Pass Special

11:30 UTC on February 17, 2012 until 11:00 UTC on February 20, 2012

5x experience for the first victory of the day on all of your tanks
30% discount on all gold-purchased camouflage
50% discount on the following vehicles:
M3 Lee - 77,650 (normally 155,300)
M3 Stuart - 26,700 (normally 53,400)
M4 Sherman - 125,250 (normally 250,500)
M10 Wolverine - 180,600 (normally 361,200)
PzKpfw III - 91,250 (normally 182,500)
PzKpfw IV - 122,150 (normally 244,300)
PzKpfw III/IV - 95,400 (normally 190,800)
PzKpfw VI Tiger - 628,350 (normally 1,256,700)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Huh.

The only interesting thing to me there is the 5x for first victories. I'm nowhere in the German Tank or US TD lines.

I had almost forgotten the feeling of rapid advancement in the game. I'm still shocked by how things suddenly drop off and bog down in Tier V and higher.

Last night I started with the Tier II French Light, the Hotchkiss H35. It took exactly 6 battles to get it to Elite, and 5 of those were victories. My feelings on the H35 are that it's a little brute for Tier II, but really not worth keeping. I took a lot of dings and dents without dying and was able to dish out a lot of ranged hits with the upgraded gun.

The Tier III Light - AMX 38 - is more of the same; it can even use the same top-end gun as the H35, which makes it a threat out of the box if you mount it. It's probably going to take me 15 battles to Elite this tank. My first round with it (and only round last night) made me feel like I was driving a Heavy. The thing crawls, but enemy rounds do minimal damage and bounce quite a bit. I actually found myself simply sitting in the open and letting a M2 Medium plink me so I could keep getting clear shots on his Artillery... even with 5 free hits on my rear, he only did ~100 damage to me.

... Now look at my Tier V T-34; it took me 99 battles to get that to Elite... and the KV? I've got the tank completed and am 24,000xp towards the S-51, which takes 127,000 experience to attain. That's taken 279 battles to get. I don't know if I'll actually get the S-51 before they start monkeying around with the USSR Heavies.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got my Minimaus tank. It takes a ton of hits but it's slow. Its always top tank on the list when a battle starts. For $10 for a copy of Armchair General I got that tank, a month of premium, a garage slot, and 750g. My wife got it for me :)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They really get to you, psychologically, when you hit Tier V... Suddenly the crawl starts to make buying a Premium subscription sound good. I've been considering it lately - I've been playing for almost a year on and off and have only reached Tier VI with one tank, which will magically become a Tier VII sometime in the future.

My StuGIII has ~23,000 experience to get to the next Tier.
My M7 Priest has ~20,000 to go.
My KV has ~104,000 to go (for the S-51). This amounts to ~424 battles at my current average experience per fight.

Man - I don't need Gold. I need to up my game and try to earn more experience per fight. My best fight ever was with the KV - and I earned 1155 for it. If I could manage that every round, it would only take me ~100 fights to Elite it. I'd also be some sort of GOD.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:I just got my Minimaus tank.
Ah, the minimaus tank.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

For those who love tracking their stats:
These will show your stats over the past 24-hours, 1-week, and 2-week period. However, for both of them, they won't start tracking until you first login. So they'll all start out with zero wins and zero losses.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:These will show your stats over the past 24-hours, 1-week, and 2-week period. However, for both of them, they won't start tracking until you first login. So they'll all start out with zero wins and zero losses.
Interesting, but it seems a little over-the-top. I mean, I know I had a good night or a bad night, but they'll barely reflect in the scheme of my 1800 battles. :P

I may have come to two conclusions over the weekend.

- Premium account status is so worth it. Their one free day code was a huge boon to me and I find myself wanting more. Good marketing. In one day I earned almost 18,000xp with my KV alone, as well as 400,000+ in funds.

- I'm probably going to outfit myself with a selection of vehicles I have enjoyed playing with and stop trying to climb ladders, except for maybe one or two tanks. When I look at the top-tier tanks, I see a lot of ponderous slow reload times on guns. I see a lot of camping. I see a lot of tactical movement. What I don't see is a lot of fun. The tactical is fun, but the slow-as-death pace is not.

Right now the vehicles I've had to most fun with are (by favorite):

T-46: Light, fast, versatile. Good at sniping, good at brawling. I can easily average 3+ kills per round. It is highly manueverable and has a gun with good accuracy, reload, and penetration. I simply adore running circles around my foes and watching their turrets try and follow me, but being unable to. I recently sold my M7 Priest so I could bring this tank back into action. My best kill count ever was with this tank - 9 in one round.

Marder II: This little TD was just pure joy to play. It's hard to explain - when I had this tank, I just felt perfectly at home. It's a mean little brute for it's teir and can devastate just about anything that comes near it.

T-50: Oddly, now that I've got a good crew, I'm really enjoying the challenge of dashing in and finding artillery. Last night I hammered through the front lines, found an arty, killed him, and then killed a nearby TD before I was finally killed myself - by a heavy and another TD who were also trying for me. I can't wait for the T-50-2 - more of the same, but faster and with a bigger gun.

StuGIII: Average speed, fair armor, but a good accurate gun with great reload. I've become quite fond of my StuGIII over time and now don't actually want to upgrade from it, despite having only 5,000xp to go before the next TD in line. This is one of two tanks I spent the cash on to get a Rammer installed; the other is the T-46.

KV: I'm 48,000xp towards the S-51, if that's any indication of my dedication to this tank. The Crew is 100% trained, and 73% trained in Repairs. Being a Tier V prevents me from being completely overwhelmed, but using the 107 in even harsh rounds lets me feel effective. My best round ever was with this, and every round is still fun. I'm concerned about the changes they're going to make to this tank in the future, splitting it into two tanks.

Tetrarch: This little fella is similar to my T-46 in a lot of ways, and plays pretty close to the same, but gets easier fights. I generally get 2-3 kills per round easily, or a lot of good fast scouting before getting pinged out.

My least favorite tanks so far:

T-34: Dear me - I hated every second in this tank; every second. It's just a flatulent punching bag. The guns it can use can't penetrate anything in the rounds you get stuck in unless you're right behind something, and you can't get right behind anything because you lack the armor or speed to get there. The worst 99 battles in the game, getting this thing Elite.

AMX 40: This is a close second to the T-34. Despite my desire to hoard Free Experience, I ended up spending everything I had just to get out from under this dead weight tank; I simply didn't have the patience for another 20 fights with it. It's got great armor, but only a passable gun, and will actually slow down on flat ground if you're going faster than 20kph. WTF? Downhill, it can get up to 40+, but will immediately loose that momentum on an open road. The final nail in the coffin was trying to plod uphill at 5kph in a "light" tank to attack a StuGIII in our base - he got to bounce 3 rounds and hit me with one before I finally got far enough uphill to hit him once.

A-20: This tank is a complete DOG when stock. The most abysmal piece of crap scout you could imagine. Oddly, it actually became acceptable just as I finished it and my crew have become well-trained - but I had been completely soured on it by then and dumped it immediately and with glee.

Tanks I've been generally ambivilent about:

KV-3: A heavier KV, but it gets stuck sometimes in Tier X rounds, where I'm lucky if my 122mm gun can do 5% damage to something before it pops me with a single shot. Amusingly, that still earns me 10,000+ credits (after repairs) if my team wins. Thankfully, the 122 has a "low-cost" ammo option, the HE for 680 silver. The AP is 1000+ per shot otherwise, and not really worth using in anything higher than a Tier VI fight. I'm determined to get the 100mm gun before I move on, even though I hear it's almost worthless.

M7 Priest: Artillery is a different game, and sometimes different can be good. While I had some fun with Artillery, it was a mixed bag since accuracy is a huge problem. I hate missing. I hate it even more when it takes 10 seconds to reload. I've got the crew in storage, should I ever want to go back and try to finish this. The T57 was fun, the M37 not bad - but the Priest kind of bogged down. Could have just been a lack of 100% Crew and slower reload times.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:
ydejin wrote:These will show your stats over the past 24-hours, 1-week, and 2-week period. However, for both of them, they won't start tracking until you first login. So they'll all start out with zero wins and zero losses.
Interesting, but it seems a little over-the-top. I mean, I know I had a good night or a bad night, but they'll barely reflect in the scheme of my 1800 battles. :P
See that's exactly why I like the app. With 4,434 matches under my belt my percentages change by 0.01% on a good weekend. But by focusing on the past 24-hours or past week I can see real differences in how I'm doing.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:Marder II: This little TD was just pure joy to play. It's hard to explain - when I had this tank, I just felt perfectly at home. It's a mean little brute for it's teir and can devastate just about anything that comes near it.
The Marder II can be a lot of fun, and in the right match it can really deal a lot of death. The gun is just great. The main problem with it is it's fragility and there are some maps where I'm just not sure where to put it. Himmelsdorf is probably the map that most comes to mind as big trouble for the Marder, I typically setup in the train yard since that gives the best field of fire. But there's no cover, so you'll generally go down quite quickly when spotted.
Paingod wrote:StuGIII: Average speed, fair armor, but a good accurate gun with great reload. I've become quite fond of my StuGIII over time and now don't actually want to upgrade from it, despite having only 5,000xp to go before the next TD in line. This is one of two tanks I spent the cash on to get a Rammer installed; the other is the T-46.
I really enjoyed the StuG as well. For a TD it's got really good speed to get to where the fight is happening. As with all TDs, you'll need to be cautious though as getting tracked can be death, and the speed may lead you to push to far forward to fast.
Paingod wrote:T-34: Dear me - I hated every second in this tank; every second. It's just a flatulent punching bag. The guns it can use can't penetrate anything in the rounds you get stuck in unless you're right behind something, and you can't get right behind anything because you lack the armor or speed to get there. The worst 99 battles in the game, getting this thing Elite.
I really enjoyed the T-34 in beta, but found I didn't really like it on release. The big plus of the T-34 is it gets a lot of speed, maybe not as much as the light tanks, but you can really get whipping across the Steppes. The gun is also quite good and can penetrate things well in your class, particularly as you circle heavy tanks faster than their turrets can rotate! The big minus is it's very, very weak on defense. The sad thing is that historically it was actually quite good on defense, but WoT's tank levels are such that it goes up against tanks that it historically wouldn't have fought instead of Pz IIIs and Pz IVs with short-barreled guns (not represented in WoT).

For me the M4 Sherman provided a better balance of speed, offense, and defense. While the T-34 is faster and more maneuverable, the M4's better defense really made it much more enjoyable to drive. (The downside of the M4 is that while the M4A3E8 after it can be a lot of fun, it's gun often can't penetrate the tanks it gets placed into matches with. Ultimately though the T-20 and Pershings higher up the tree are quite good once fully upgraded. I haven't tried the M4A2E3 Sherman Jumbo yet, it wasn't in the tree when I originally went through.)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:I really enjoyed the StuG as well. For a TD it's got really good speed to get to where the fight is happening. As with all TDs, you'll need to be cautious though as getting tracked can be death, and the speed may lead you to push to far forward to fast.
I got the StuGIII to Elite last night and went to look at my options... The next tier tank can get a gun that's got the same penetration, but does more damage and fires slower. Given that I'll be facing down harder tanks on average, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade. I think the StuGIII is where I'll stick on the German TD line. I've really come to enjoy it. It doesn't hurt either that the crew I have in there are bad-asses. I kept hiring and firing them until I got names/photos that just looked like mean motherf***ers.
ydejin wrote:I really enjoyed the T-34 in beta, but found I didn't really like it on release. The big plus of the T-34 is it gets a lot of speed, maybe not as much as the light tanks, but you can really get whipping across the Steppes. The gun is also quite good and can penetrate things well in your class, particularly as you circle heavy tanks faster than their turrets can rotate! The big minus is it's very, very weak on defense. The sad thing is that historically it was actually quite good on defense, but WoT's tank levels are such that it goes up against tanks that it historically wouldn't have fought instead of Pz IIIs and Pz IVs with short-barreled guns (not represented in WoT)
I really tried to want to like the T-34. It just never - ever - clicked with me. Maybe I was playing it wrong. I'd try and be support and snipe, but bounce everything. I'd try and flank but get mashed.

The AMX12t is starting to click - I find that my best function in many fights is to simply dash in, hit hard and fast, and try to pin a heavy to a wall somewhere so he's an easy target. Otherwise, I snipe. It's a good scout killer, too. I've taken down a couple T-50's with it and I'd wager they hated me for it.

I may need to move the T-50 up my list of "Fun" tanks. Last night I actually had to suppress a violent outburst of laughter after what I did to a group of Tier III and IV light tanks... I dashed up the left side of Prokhorovka and found myself up against 2 other lights, so I started circling and weaving with auto-aim going and constant shooting... and another Light appeared... and another... and a medium... and I kept surviving, somehow - up over, around, down - no one could stop me. They tried ramming several times, but missed. Their turrets had trouble tracking me for my tight circles around them. I kept switching up targets to spread the wealth and hit anyone closer to me than another. It finally took a Churchill to put me down - and he had to sit still and snipe me over and over to finally get me.
Enlarge Image
After I died, the chat window was awash with "When this fight is done, I'm getting a T-50" and "OMG, WTF was that?!" type comments. It was amazing luck - to wade into a group of tanks like that and actually kill most of them.

I'm debating on what to put on that T-50. I've got Camo and Vents, and was considering Binocs - so I can park as a real scout and see further... but after that fight, I'm sorely tempted to use either the Rammer or Gun Laying Drive.

I'm somewhat dismayed by rumors that the T-50-2, while being a superior scout tank, generally looses money with every fight. I'll be in Tier X fights with it, and end up an easy kill - but the repair bill will exceed my income from the match, even if I never fire my gun. Some folks say they got the T-50-2 and then sold it to go back to the T-50. Others keep them both. Hm.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: The AMX12t is starting to click - I find that my best function in many fights is to simply dash in, hit hard and fast, and try to pin a heavy to a wall somewhere so he's an easy target. Otherwise, I snipe. It's a good scout killer, too. I've taken down a couple T-50's with it and I'd wager they hated me for it.
The AMX12t is on the list of tanks I'd really like to try out. I gave up on the D2 and AMX38 after a half-dozen matches each because they were just too painful to drive. But I saved up enough Free XP and unlocked the B1 and AMX40. Trying to decide if I should actually play those or just keep saving Free XP -- unlocking the Tier IVs wasn't too bad, unlocking Tier V is going to take a lot of Free XP.
Paingod wrote:I may need to move the T-50 up my list of "Fun" tanks. Last night I actually had to suppress a violent outburst of laughter after what I did to a group of Tier III and IV light tanks... I dashed up the left side of Prokhorovka and found myself up against 2 other lights, so I started circling and weaving with auto-aim going and constant shooting... and another Light appeared... and another... and a medium... and I kept surviving, somehow - up over, around, down - no one could stop me. They tried ramming several times, but missed. Their turrets had trouble tracking me for my tight circles around them. I kept switching up targets to spread the wealth and hit anyone closer to me than another. It finally took a Churchill to put me down - and he had to sit still and snipe me over and over to finally get me.
Enlarge Image
After I died, the chat window was awash with "When this fight is done, I'm getting a T-50" and "OMG, WTF was that?!" type comments. It was amazing luck - to wade into a group of tanks like that and actually kill most of them.

I'm debating on what to put on that T-50. I've got Camo and Vents, and was considering Binocs - so I can park as a real scout and see further... but after that fight, I'm sorely tempted to use either the Rammer or Gun Laying Drive.

I'm somewhat dismayed by rumors that the T-50-2, while being a superior scout tank, generally looses money with every fight. I'll be in Tier X fights with it, and end up an easy kill - but the repair bill will exceed my income from the match, even if I never fire my gun. Some folks say they got the T-50-2 and then sold it to go back to the T-50. Others keep them both. Hm.
That looks like quite a match! The T-50 and T-50-2 move at an incredible rate of speed. I have serious trouble hitting them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I HATE my AMX 12t. It has ZERO armor and the gun can't penetrate wet noodles.

T-46 - A strange looking little tank. Overall average.

Marder II - A beast! This is a KV's worst nightmare. Has THE best gun in the tier. PAK 36 I think it is. Absolutely murders everything.

StuGIII - Good speed good gun. Very prone to burn.

KV - Loved it. The 107mm is a sniper rifle. Good thing too as this tank takes all day to go anywhere. Looks like an Abe Lincoln stovepipe hat for a turret.

Tetrarch - Finding it average but getting better with it.

T-34 - Hated it. Bad all around. The T-34/85 is a nice step up.

A-20 - I liked this one. Fun and good tank.

M7 Priest - Way too slow to reload. The only arty i really like now days post nerf is the T57.

I now have 27 tanks and 3/4 of them are elite. If you have a tank model you want to know about I may be able to help you :) I'e spent $540 on this game so i better damn well know some useful info.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:The AMX12t is on the list of tanks I'd really like to try out. I gave up on the D2 and AMX38 after a half-dozen matches each because they were just too painful to drive. But I saved up enough Free XP and unlocked the B1 and AMX40. Trying to decide if I should actually play those or just keep saving Free XP -- unlocking the Tier IVs wasn't too bad, unlocking Tier V is going to take a lot of Free XP.
They really make you pay to get to the AMX12t. The AMX 38 was a slow beast - but felt workable in Tier III rounds. The heavy armor made the ponderous nature almost amusing for the dozens of pings and plings you'd get hit with. It took me 14 battles (11 wins) to get it to Elite.

I ground into the AMX 40 with some level of optimism that this tank naturally had to be better as a Tier IV should be. I was so wrong it made my teeth hurt from clenching them. It handles almost identically to the AMX 38. It can get up to 41kph going downhill, but as soon as you hit level ground you'll slow down to 18-20kph again. Going uphill is painful - 5kph at times; slower than a stock KV with 50% Crew.

In the end, I stuck with the tank through 31 battles and ended up using ~7,000 Free XP to move myself through it. The real turning point in my saying "F*** This" was when I was literally surrounded by Valentines (3 of them) and pinned to a wall while they slowly and painfully ripped me apart. Valentines. I couldn't escape them, and I couldn't hurt them. I upgraded my gun after that, but I was still performing so poorly that I just gave up. The AMX12t, on the other hand, is an actually good tank - but the long reload every 6 shots can shock you if you're not ready to run for your life or get into heavy cover.
Daehawk wrote:I HATE my AMX 12t. It has ZERO armor and the gun can't penetrate wet noodles.
Huh. My first step was the gun upgrade, 100 penetration. I've never felt it was lacking in that area - except against the obvious foes with 100+ frontal armor. My general tactic is to run in as fast as I can and hammer their sides and rear - frontal sniping only at Treads or Light Tanks. I find this to be a great scout killer and functional heavy flanker.
Daehawk wrote:I now have 27 tanks and 3/4 of them are elite.
Heh. I never stop using a Tank until it's Elite - even the ones I hate using I get there.

Tanks I have as Elite (but not in my Garage):
T-28, M37, Hetzer, T-34, T-26, A-20, BT-7, T57, MS-1, Marder II, AMX 40, T1 Cunningham, Leichttraktor, AMX 38, BT-2, Hotchkiss H35, Panzerjäger I, RenaultFT

Tanks I have Elite that are in my Garage:
T-46, StuG III, MkVII Tetrarch, T-127

Tanks I'm working on:
KV (~76,000xp to S-51, 100% Crew, 74% Repair), KV-3 (~40,000xp to IS, 95% Crew), T-50 (~43,000xp to T-50-2, 89% Crew), AMX 12t (???xp to AMX 13 75, 81% Crew).

Tanks I've put on hold:
M7 Priest (Sold, ???xp to M41, 86% Crew in Barracks)
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: I ground into the AMX 40 with some level of optimism that this tank naturally had to be better as a Tier IV should be. I was so wrong it made my teeth hurt from clenching them. It handles almost identically to the AMX 38. It can get up to 41kph going downhill, but as soon as you hit level ground you'll slow down to 18-20kph again. Going uphill is painful - 5kph at times; slower than a stock KV with 50% Crew.

In the end, I stuck with the tank through 31 battles and ended up using ~7,000 Free XP to move myself through it. The real turning point in my saying "F*** This" was when I was literally surrounded by Valentines (3 of them) and pinned to a wall while they slowly and painfully ripped me apart. Valentines. I couldn't escape them, and I couldn't hurt them. I upgraded my gun after that, but I was still performing so poorly that I just gave up. The AMX12t, on the other hand, is an actually good tank - but the long reload every 6 shots can shock you if you're not ready to run for your life or get into heavy cover.
Ouch. Okay I guess I may try to save the whole 14,000xp in Free Experience.

Have you tried the French heavies? Are they just as bad?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im using them. They are ok and fun but don't expect them to be great. im up to the G1B I think it is. it's outclassed most times in it's tier.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ydejin wrote:Ouch. Okay I guess I may try to save the whole 14,000xp in Free Experience?
If you're really concerned about your stats, then yeah - you'll want to use Free Experience to bypass this. If you're unconcerned, I'd say "Go for it" but with the knowledge that:

1. You're always the last to get to the fight.
2. Your experience per fight won't be great.
3. It can work as a passable-but-slow sniper if you're near the top of the list in a fight.

Personally, Free Experience is very valuable to me. I'd rather slog through X fights to gain *some* experience for the tank than try and save up FreeXP just for the tank - where X is a variable based on my tolerance of the tank. The AMX 40 is probably the lowest tolerance tank I've ever had; it didn't fight really poorly - it just couldn't move and that just pissed me off badly. If you can live with being near-stationary through a fight, it might not be bad for you. Just bear in mind that the round might end in Himmelsdorf before you could get to the top of the hill.

I generally use Free Experience if I've spent a long time with a tank and just need a nudge to a better component - under 1,000xp or so - or if I'm a small amount away from getting a tank to Elite, to avoid "overshooting" the experience bar and having some just sitting there on it.

I'm also very excited about 7.2 and the new Crew Skills. Camo, Repair, and Firefighting will be joined by dozens of other "spot-specific" skills for your Crew. Is Camo really that important to you - or would you rather get Premonition for your Commander so you can know when you're spotted? Hell yes. They also made it so Crew can have an unlimited number of skills, but you'll need to pay 2x for each, where x is the amount of experience needed for the previous skill... and some don't work unless you get them to 100%. There's even a "Vents" skill for the Crew - Brothers in Arms - where as long as none of them have been knocked out, they all perform better. Awesome.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Such a long haul...

KV: 361 battles, 45,000xp left to obtain S-51.
T-50: 122 battles, 7,000xp left for T-50-2.
KV-3: 104 battles, 20,000xp left to IS

... I'm not exctied about the IS. Looking it over, it seems to almost be a downgrade from the KV-3.

The T-50 has actually become my absolute favorite tank, replacing the T-46 handily. It's got the giddy-up and punch to make a difference in any good match round, and the spotting power to help in any outmatched round. My only problem is finding myself securely hidden and spotting - and having opposition tanks roll right into me. I'm thinking that my tank isn't visible to most others unless they're within 100m because they don't seem to react to me until they get that close... but when they do, it doesn't matter how fast I run. I've got the Camo net, but the crew isn't Camo trained (they will be).

The T-50 can relatively easily get in behind enemy lines to wreak havok - a gem of a round last night had me in Fjords as the sourthern team, and I ran up to scout the middle pass from the safe little crack between a rock and a house. I watched 4 enemy tanks with a TD roll by going around the hill, and once they left I decided to run down and try to take out the Slugger at the end of the line since he was really straggling. As I was running, I got plinked for 1/3 of my health by a Hetzer that had hidden himself in the bushes watching that pass. I circled around to take him down, only to find a second Hetzer watching the flank. It was a tense few runs, circling and strafing them to kill them both, and by the time I was done the Slugger had turned around and was coming my way, but I only had ~50hp left. I zigged and zagged, and ran to the endzone - hiding behind a house to force him to come to me. I did get him to, and I did manage to flank and kill him, but my downfall was sitting in the endzone - an opposing light came to the rescue and gunned me down a split second after I got the Slugger; I like to think he only came because I was taking their base (and got it to 30% before anyone came to get me).

Some thoughts on the T-50...

- It works best when you find a place to hide and watch the frontline for a couple minutes. When you see an opening, run for it.
- Never stop to fart around with Heavies or even Mediums until you've taken out their scout and found their artillery.
- It's always fun to stop and fart around with TD's, but be aware of where they are and where their friends are. They usually set up shop well behind the front line and camp solitarily, making them good targets. Usually.
- Tread hits seem less common than I would have thought they'd be, but spell certain death if they happen. I sometimes wish I could carry two or three repair kits.
- The Removed Govenor is helpful for do-or-die manuevers and makes a small bump in your ability to keep turning quickly while moving quickly. Do NOT run this too long.
- When running your best chance of survival is to bob and weave. If you run straight too long, you're likely to get hit and/or die, even if you don't see anyone around you should still wiggle around - it's no fun to "spot" someone because you ran straight at them and their big gun.
- Hetzers have high enough Traverse rates to actually pose something of a threat. Of all TD's I've encountered, they give me the most trouble.
- Don't run in front of artillery, even if you're making a quick pass. They're just sitting there, waiting for you to do that so they can pull the trigger. This has gotten me several times when nothing else could have.

I'm really looking forward to the T-50-2 since the only complaint it seems to get is "Expensive to repair, sometimes looses money" - but it's an awesome scout.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My French G1B killed a Panther all by itself last night! I was so surprised. I mean it's a heavy vs a medium but the thing is armored like a light lol. As I drove by the wreck of the Panther I noticed it musta had a 250mm gun on it ..jk...but it was the largest one that will fit on it. Amazing. The I got 1 shotted by some Soviet TD.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Panther, in a stat-to-stat comparison should have mopped the floor with you and fed the leftovers to a Luchs ... :wink: Good work!

It's always a great thing when you take out a higher-tier opponent... a warm fuzzy feeling.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: ... I'm not exctied about the IS. Looking it over, it seems to almost be a downgrade from the KV-3.
I haven't tried the IS yet, but my biggest complaint about the KV-3 is that it is extremely slow. Even for a heavy, I know my Tiger I is much faster, and I think the T-29 is also a bit faster.

It also makes for one heck of a big target, although lower and same-tier opponents often bounce, so that's a big plus!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My "Heavy" game has taken a step forward since introducing the "R" key as part of my arsenal. If you don't know what this does, it moves you forward in a cruise-control mode that is fairly slow. What this allows you to do is take aim, relatively good aim, at something as you come around a corner and it comes into view. There's no jostle, no bumping - just fire and then mash "S" as fast as you can to back up to safety.

I held off two Heavies and a Medium - killing the Medium and taking 40% off a Lowe and 20% off the other (I think it was a Tiger) before they finally looked at each other and said "That's just one KV-3. WTF are we worried about?" and stormed me.

It requires good cover and good angles or approach, but works wonders.

I also got my T-50-2 yesterday, and man it is fast. My feelings on the T-50 line:

T-50 - This scout has no drawbacks that I can find. I use it as a scout, light hunter, medium harasser, heavy nuisance, and all-around nightmare to artillery. It's a blast to play in just about every round. I sold my beloved T-46 because this fits that niche even better than it could. Bear in mind that I only just got 100% Crew and they're up to 30% Camo right now.
  • Strong Camouflage - with Camo Net, Tanks see me sitting in a bush in an open field at ~75 - 110m without the Camo skill.
  • Agile - The T-50 can turn relatively tight fast runs around opposition tanks, great for circle-strafing and avoiding fire.
  • Small - It's fairly easy to get most of your body (if not all of it) into a bush in most maps, making you a hard target to find.
  • Good Matches - Often placed in the middle of a match, meaning effectiveness against all opposition.
  • Low Maintenance - It costs ~2000cr to repair, in addition to consumables.
  • Good Income - I can make 10,000cr per round pretty easily (15,000 with Premium), after repairs and restock.
  • Fast - Max Speed of 59kph, with good acceleration. Beware opposing tanks trying to bump you to slow you down.
  • Penetrating - With the best gun, you can penetrate just about anything you fight from a close enough range.
T-50-2 - I dumped ~7,000 Free XP into this tank to improve the Treads and Turret after a few rounds so I could mount the best gun and improve my turning. My Crew is only 80% trained and I've got 5,000xp to go before the tank is Elite.
  • Strong Camouflage - I'd be willing to bet it's similar to the T-50.
  • Fair Agility - The turn radius at full speed isn't as good as the T-50, but it's not terrible. Because you turn slower, your turret tracks targets easier on auto-aim. It also means it's slightly easier for opposing tanks to track you with their turrets. I end up doing a lot of strafing runs to build speed before turning.
  • Small frontal profile - This tank looks positively tiny from the front.
  • Longer side profile - If I get hit, it's always from the side. I think this tank is a little longer than the T-50.
  • Tread Hits - With the extra side profile, it seems I get hit in the treads more often.
  • High-Tier matches - You'll see a lot of rounds with Tier X tanks, which you cannot harm.
  • High Maintenance - It costs ~8,000cr to repair just the chassis. If you took module damage and used your Speed Govenor, the price can easily exceed 10,000cr, before including consumables.
  • Losing Income - With large repair costs and income of ~7-9,000 if all you did was spot 10 tanks, you'll loose money on this tank if you don't play it careful. Only if you get to kill an enemy artillery or spot for a long time with a lot of hits going to your credit does getting killed break even or pay off. Stay Alive!
  • Crazy Fast - With a top speed of 72kph, you're greased lightning in this game. I've blown through a group of 4 heavies, right through the middle of them, because they just couldn't catch me. Beware opposing tanks trying to bump you to slow you down.
  • Penetrating - The best T-50-2 gun comes with 100pen. This works against the asses of most foes if you're up close and is useless on anything else except treads at a distance. Useful for taking down Artillery faster.
  • Easily Elite - If you've got USSR Lights and Mediums researched, the only thing left to this tank is the Treads, a Super-Radio, and a Turret, which combined weighs in at ~18,000xp to Elite it. A 75% trained crew might hit just 85% by the time this happens.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Gratz on getting the T-50-2 Paingod.

I've got the Patton unlocked, but I haven't decided if I want to get it or not. I've got the T-54 and while it's a great tank, I really don't like the high-end battles it tends to always get stuck in. With my Pershing I almost always feel like I can make a good difference in a battle, there are always targets I can penetrate from the front and maybe a few I need to get a side shot in. With the T-54, even with the best gun, there are battles where I just look at all the IS-7s, E-100, and Maus and think "ugh" this is not going to be a fun fight.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

ydejin wrote:
Paingod wrote: ... I'm not exctied about the IS. Looking it over, it seems to almost be a downgrade from the KV-3.
I haven't tried the IS yet, but my biggest complaint about the KV-3 is that it is extremely slow. Even for a heavy, I know my Tiger I is much faster, and I think the T-29 is also a bit faster.

It also makes for one heck of a big target, although lower and same-tier opponents often bounce, so that's a big plus!
I love the IS! Quick, with good firepower and protection. I'm not saying that there aren't better tanks at that tier, but my experience with the IS has been very positive.