World of Tanks

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ydejin

World of Tanks

Post by ydejin »

Anyone playing this? It's a great game. Free to play. Tanks from pre-WW2 up to about the 50s. I got in about 3000 matches during beta and have put in another 250 since it released last week.

Gameplay is semi-arcadey. The realistic points are:
  • Tank facing matters a lot.
  • Tank armor is historically based.
  • You can't shoot on the move and expect to hit unless you're really close or you've got a really great crew.
  • Tank movement is more or less realistic. Heavy tanks move slowly, some like the KV-1 move quite slowly. Tanks vary in terms of ability to turn and climb hills too. All more or less based on historic information.
  • Spotting is important.
Fun non-realistic stuff includes:
  • Your crew gains experience and gets much better at firing, spotting, and even driving.
  • You can upgrade your tank with better guns, engines, and radios (important for taking advantage of friendly spotting).
  • You can outfit your tank with items like a ventilation system to improve crew performance, a firefighting kit, or a camouflage net.
  • As you earn experience you can unlock better tanks
Matches are 15-on-15 and usually end within about 5-8 minutes. While the gameplay is very fast, it's not just twitch. Where you move your tank on the map, when you decide to fire, and when you decide to pullback makes far more of a difference than how well you can twitch fire.

I really like it as for me it's a good balance between fun and realistic. Plus I grew up as a huge WW2 buff, so it's awful fun to drive a Tiger, a T-34, or a Sherman.
Daehawk

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Daehawk »

Been playing for a year. Just bought myself 3000g and got premium for a month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Played it about a year ago for a short while. Have a friend who plays the crap out of this game. For past year its pretty much his main game.

I liked it, but he loves it.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ydejin wrote:Anyone playing this?....
I have been playing World of Tanks since the day it went live. I liked it well enough that I canceled my World of WarCraft account in order to be able to devote more time to playing WoT and I had been playing WoW since 2004.

It's a great game.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I put about 1500 battles into the beta and I think it's a better game now that a softwipe hasn't given everyone an IS4.

My beta-participation reward M4A2 is a bit crap, slow and undergunned, but the point of premium tanks has always been to make money and the thing pulls in ~15,000 credits in a game even without premium.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Mr Bismarck wrote:I put about 1500 battles into the beta and I think it's a better game now that a softwipe hasn't given everyone an IS4.

My beta-participation reward M4A2 is a bit crap, slow and undergunned, but the point of premium tanks has always been to make money and the thing pulls in ~15,000 credits in a game even without premium.
The newly revised tiering system has made a huge difference. My Marder just racked up 5 kills in two different games, since the toughest tanks it's going against are M3 Lees. That never would have happened with the old system.

Unfortunately the highest tiers are currently choked full of M6A2E1 pre-order heavies. I'm hoping they get a better heavy/medium balance once everyone has leveled to what they want. Or perhaps everyone will want heavies. I'm having a lot more fun with my Tier V Sherman and Tier III Marder than my Tier VI M4A3E8 Easy-Eight Sherman because of the excessive numbers of heavies. The M4A3E8 can be a lot of fun. But not in a match where each team has 8-9 super heavy tanks. It's not fast enough to go artillery hunting or to serve as a scout, and its gun isn't heavy enough to really do much damage to an M6A2E1. With 1-2 heavies, I'd try to find a way to flank the heavy, but with 8-9 heavies there is no way to flank either.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

I always liked the Marder II. That thing has an insane arc of fire for a TD because the back of the crew area is open. The usual wet-paper armour though.

The Easy Eight is a great spam cannon if you put the rammer and stabiliser on it, but like you say the 76mm is a bit lightweight. I wish it had something like the 88/56, where the pentration is a little lower, but the HE round is bigger. That way you could at least consistently track bigger tanks. As it is, with the high profile and a dinky, though fast firing gun, the E8 never really sat too well with me.

I'm aiming for the Pz IV with the 75 L/70 this time and will probably stay there as it's the tank I had most fun with in beta. The gun will go through pretty much anything in its tier and it doesn't get placed with the super heavies too often, which is the problem once you get into the VKs.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Mr Bismarck wrote: I'm aiming for the Pz IV with the 75 L/70 this time and will probably stay there as it's the tank I had most fun with in beta. The gun will go through pretty much anything in its tier and it doesn't get placed with the super heavies too often, which is the problem once you get into the VKs.
I really liked the Pz IV. Very strong on defense. Pretty tough for its tier. Excellent gun for long range sniping. It was far-and-away my most played tank in the beta pre-wipe with over 700 battles.

I mostly went Sherman since I'd played German mediums up to the VK3001P, German heavies up to the Tiger II, German TDs up to JagdPanther, and Russian mediums up to the T-54 during beta. The Sherman's been interesting, but I miss the speed of the T-34 line and the toughness and solid gun on the Pz IV.

I think I'll shoot for the T-34 first, but not go any further for now, and then try to get the Panther. I want to see how it plays. I've got a Pz III/IV right now. I don't remember particularly enjoying the VK3001P in Beta though (although I didn't play it much).

Might pickup the Hetzer since I've already got it unlocked, so I can play it occasionally on the slow way up to the StuG. Although it might not be all that bad with the proper tiering system that's now in.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

If you can get into low tier battles with the Hetzer and throw on the 105 HE cannon then it can be ok, but it's probably second only to the Lee for the tank I most glad to get out of.

If they'd hurry up and release some US TDs then I'd be charging off toward the M36 90mm GMC.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Mr Bismarck wrote: If they'd hurry up and release some US TDs then I'd be charging off toward the M36 90mm GMC.
Me too. The US TDs seem like they'd be great fun to play.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

Can you still play with the beta account or do you need to create a new account? Last time I jumped in was the day before release and I had fun but I haven't gone back in since.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You use your same account. They wiped it all before release.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Very extensive webpages on battle mechanics and equipment out on the official wiki.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Thanks for the links, ydejin.
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I just got back into this over the weekend. Looks like grouping isn't much of an option without a Premium account. I'm going to keep playing and see if it holds my interest before dropping the real cash on the fake gold to upgrade my account.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can join a group with out premium you just cant start one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How balanced is this for free vs premium players? Obviously the premium players have advantages, but can a free player be competitive, or will they just provide moving targets for the paying folks?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

Blackhawk wrote:How balanced is this for free vs premium players? Obviously the premium players have advantages, but can a free player be competitive, or will they just provide moving targets for the paying folks?
The only difference between free and premium is the amount of credits and experience you get after each battles, so you can get the same equipment (except the premium tanks, which requires gold to buy) but you just have to grind twice as much.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya more grinding. I bought 25,000 gold tonight so i could increase my garage space and buy some tanks I had researched but could not afford yet. I also bought my very first gold tank for fun. It does 72kph hehe..zoom.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Which premium did you buy?

I made the mistake of getting a Churchill. It's a decent tank, except that they've put it in a bracket against some of the most famed, big gunned, tank killers in the entire game. So now all I have is a slow, easily outclassed armor, and low end gunned tank for the bracket its in. I'm usually getting one shotted. Ended up selling the tank and using the creds for other stuff. They need to move that tank's bracket down 1-3 notches.

From what I've heard, most of the premium tanks are this way except for a select few like the Ram II.

Otherwise, premium really doesn't mean much in a single game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I bought the T2 Light. Got it for the speed. I get tired of the big slow tanks so a change was in order for fun.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I just started playing this about a month ago and I am totally hooked! I would've never believed that I would find a totally free, online-only game that I would voluntarily spend money on, just to get the better tanks faster. What a great business plan these guys cooked up. And what a great game!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Been playing this for a while. I'm up to the Sherman M4A3E8 and working towards the M29 Pershing.

It's not really an MMO, it's just a versus multiplayer tank game with a progression system. The matches basically puts you in a set map that's an elimination mode.

Free to play, but the progression is pretty slow unless you fork out some money. Basically the progression system is there to make people play through the lineage of tanks, and to provide a reason for people to want to pay money to skip some grinds.

Thankfully the tank fighting itself is pretty fun, even the starting matches with Tier 1 tanks which have all these little known light tanks darting around the field with pop guns.

Each tier range is pretty interesting, although I prefer tiers 1-6. I did have a Tier 8 premium Churchill tank for a while but sold it since I didn't like the kind of match and it was a poor performing tank. Tier 5-8 is the sweet spot, where you get a wide variety of interesting tanks that everyone is likely to know. Early and late model Shermans, T34s, Panzer 4s, Panthers, KVs, up to the heavier stuff like Tigers and Jagdpanthers.

Although later matches tend to have a wider range of tiers which can make things difficult for anyone stuck in a lower tier tank, but there's still things to do in such matches.

Don't ever buy premium rounds unless they're on sale, and even then, only buy a few for fun. Those rounds are basically shooting off real money, and most of the time they don't do that much more. They basically have a high penetration value (meaning they punch through thicker armor to deal damage)

The premium tanks are interesting, but not amazing, they all tend to have better hit points and armor, but their guns are slightly under powered. All except the premium heavies that is, they cost literally $30 USD and infest Tier 8 throwing off the balance of those matches.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I've only bought 1 gold tank..a T2 Light. I love the low tier fights the most.

I own..

AT-1
SU-85
Panzer IV
VK3601
Tiger 1
Tiger 2
Marder II
Cunningham
T2 Light
M3 Stuart
M5 Stuart
T57
M37
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Geez, that's a lot of grinding, and extra bought slots too.

I also have the T2 light, it's a really fun little tank to zip around in early tier matches.

I'll probably buy the Lowe next, even though they infest the higher tier games, if only because it's a faster way to farm credits.

Oh, and if you're going through the American line of tanks, do everything you can to skip the M3 Lee unless you have to. It's not a terrible tank, but it has a big list of negative qualities that make it very difficult and annoying to use. It's basically an infantry support tank, in an all tank game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had 16 or 17 in closed beta hehe.

I had a Lee once. I was smart enough to use it as a TD only hehe. :)

Saw the patch is hitting tomorrow. its time to invest creds in the US TD line.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Turtle got me to try it out, and I really like it.

That said, I do detect some things I wish it wouldn't/would do. For example, I would *love* to have the option of a very easily cloakable infantry unit that has an AT gun. Low mobility and range of fire, but very well hidden. Plus, such a thing would make machine guns on tanks useful. I would also like to see more options on matchmaking. For example, it would be nice to have a check box to ensure no artillery on some matches, or somesuch.

Now, all those things said, I *love* playing with the tank destroyers. Perfect to my style.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I wouldn't mind seeing this game have a mode where infantry and other vehicles make an appearance. Say maybe something where all the infantry are AI controlled doing their thing pushing up the map and capturing points (with only infantry being able to capture points). Yes, it's pretty much DOTA style that's so common these days, but the concept is sound. But as it stands the devs are focusing only on tanks, they'll create an entire new game before they put in other unit types.

Speaking of which they recently announced a World of Planes game, same concept, but with just planes.

Currently it's tank destroyer city on most matches due to everyone trying out the new American TD line.

I also picked up the new M22 Locust premium tank. It's a fast little tank with a decent gun, and really well sloped armor. Very much like playing a Tier 3 version of the T2 Light Tank if you've every seen that in action. You just zip around the battlefield with high top speed and high acceleration, and a very low profile, forcing enemies to react to you breaching their lines, while the rest of the team is shooting them. In the few matches I played my locust did a great job of being a nuisance to all those people trying out the new TDs, since if they turned to shoot at me, my teammates would then shoot them from behind.

They've definitely tuned up a lot of the guns though, and more than they list in the patch notes. My M4's 105 howitzer takes longer to reload, even with a 100% loader and rammer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got me a T40 TD. Thing is beastly since I was able to get the best gun and such. M10 soon to come. :)
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Daehawk wrote:I've only bought 1 gold tank..a T2 Light. I love the low tier fights the most.

I own ...
It's a great game! I've got over 20 tanks myself including:

M4 Sherman, M4A3E8, T20
T29
T-34, KV-13, T-44
T-28, KV-3
SU-26
Pz IV, VK3002DB, Tiger I
Marder, StuG, JgdPzr IV, JagdPanther
plus a bunch of tier 1-2 tanks

I've got the Pershing unlocked, but not enough credits to get it just yet. Panther is almost unlocked.

They're doing 5x XP again this weekend
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

My Tank List:

MS-1
BT-2
KV
KV-3
IS
Leichtetraktor
Pz II
Pz III A
Pz III
T-1 Cunningham
T-14
T-57
M-37

I've sold several more, of course. Some, like the loltraktor, I only keep around because they are elite and I can farm xp with them. My favorites so far are the Pz II, IS, and Pz III but I'm very close to getting the Pz IV.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I haven't played the game, but this thread calls out for a "Hitler hears about Panthers getting nerfed in the new WoT update" video.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote:I haven't played the game, but this thread calls out for a "Hitler hears about Panthers getting nerfed in the new WoT update" video.
Close as we can get
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Daehawk wrote:
Holman wrote:I haven't played the game, but this thread calls out for a "Hitler hears about Panthers getting nerfed in the new WoT update" video.
Close as we can get
Thanks for the link! That was absolutely priceless! :mrgreen:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im trying out some skins for the first time. Thought they'd make it seem new :) Only grabbed 3. A M10 Wolverine, T57, and a Lowe skin. I think the Waffen SS Lowe one is pretty sinister. Too bad others wont see the skins unless they are using them too lol.

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Quick question,

I downloaded this today and played it for an hour or two, is there really only like four different maps?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

However, some maps are only available in tiers 2 and up, if you just started, you're only in the beginner tier 1 matches.

The reason for this is that some maps have more advanced tactics and things to consider, while other maps are just difficult for the starter tanks to get around (due to their crappy engines).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I picked this up on Friday and haven't been able to put it down. My only real general gripe is that there appears to be absolutely NO way to "earn" Gold - you've GOT to buy it. This shuts down every "Gold" tank and all of the other goodies you might get for me since I don't really have much by way of disposable income right now, but I do have a good bit of free time. A lot of Free to Play games generally offer players a painstaking way to get "premium" items in tiny dribbles - like being able to buy the premium currency on some kind of market. If WoT allowed players to exchange their Gold for other's Silver instead of handing it back to the developer, it'd kindle some kind of an economy - where I might trade 1000 silver for 1 gold; and eventually buy that extra tank slot or T2 Gold tank; while giving the person who paid to get Gold a higher silver return for his money.

I've only got the following:

- MS-1 (56% all crew)
- (Russ) T-26 (76% Gunner, 76% Commander, 57% Driver)
- (USA) T57 (76% Loader, 76% Gunner, 55% Commander, Spotter, Driver)
- (USA) Cunningham (55% all crew)

I dumped my default Leichttraktor because I just never used it. It was the last tank I got "Gold Star" research on, and the least likely to get used. I just didn't care for it.

Battles: 100
Victories: 54%
Losses: 46%
Survived the Round: 18
Accuracy: 33%
Damage Done: ~12,700
Confederate: 1
Master Gunner: 6 (Consecutive Penetration)
Most Experience: 405 - Using MS-1; I think I did a lot of accidental spotting and lasted the round with a couple kills

I think my hit percentage would be higher if I wasn't using Artillery so often. I just love it - but it gets pretty hard to hit a moving target. Looking at the higher-tier artillery, I'd be a fool to try anything but a guaranteed hit with their 1.4 rounds per minute firing rate. I like being that "Angel on your shoulder" and keeping my reticle ahead of a group as they head into danger, hammering foes that get in the way. My only complaint is that the reticle never gets small enough for a precision hit. I can be fully aimed on a stationary target and miss because I've still got 40% of the ground around him to hit instead of him. I really love finding enemy artillery positions and pounding them while they're hiding. Few things are as nice as seeing a round "vanish" into thin air, seeing a kill confirmation, and then a dead tank sitting where your shot disappeared.

My whole strategy so far in deciding what tanks to get has been "Well, I like the way that looks" ... and not just crunching numbers and looking for some perfect min/max blend. I'm sure there are a lot of "better" tier 2 tanks than the T-26, but I like it. It seems rugged enough to take a few hits, and as long as I don't get knocked out by a Medium tank, I can usually get 2-3 kills with it. I also like the look of the tanks behind it and will continue down the line.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'll know if I hit at long range... Does the crew always announce a hit? Last night I was sniping a few foes engaged with allies at distance, and I'd sometimes get a hit (with an announcement) and sometimes I'd hear the 'plink' but no message. I seem to always hear the 'plink' even if firing into an empty bush.

I look forward to getting into the T-46 and mounting the 76mm L-10 ... great accuracy, great damage, but long reload and aim. A good sniper cannon... so I'd be a mobile sniper... which is exactly what I keep trying to do with my T-26.

Now that I've played for three days, I'm going to spend some time in the Wiki, having a basic grasp of game mechanics helps decipher what a Wiki means... reading it before that can just be confusing if you haven't experience what it discusses.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: I'm still trying to figure out how I'll know if I hit at long range... Does the crew always announce a hit? Last night I was sniping a few foes engaged with allies at distance, and I'd sometimes get a hit (with an announcement) and sometimes I'd hear the 'plink' but no message. I seem to always hear the 'plink' even if firing into an empty bush.
There are verbal queues when you hit an enemy. You'll get messages along the lines of: "Punched right through their armor!" or "We've hit them hard!" Or alternatively, you'll get a message like "That one bounced" if you hit the target but don't penetrate.

You can see a full list of crew messages here.

If you hear a bell sound, with no voice queue, that means you've damaged one of the enemy's internal systems (such as their gun or radio) but not enough to take it out. If you hit it repeatedly it will be temporarily incapacitated (and you'll get a "Critical Hit") verbal queue. Although it can be repaired its functionality will be permanently reduced.

Be sure to visit the Tactics page.