World of Tanks

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ydejin

Re: World of Tanks

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote: The T-28 isn't even a scout; it's a dysfunctional Medium that's halfway between the T-46 and KV. It's a big fat target that works best as a long-range sniper.
That's the way I play it. When fully upgraded it gets a very powerful gun for it's tier, but it can't take hits at all. I use the speed to get to whichever front the action is on, but I stay well behind the main line, preferably out of visibility, using other tanks for spotting. It doesn't take much damage before it's destroyed.
Paingod wrote:The Marder II (or Murder as I call it) is absurdly powerful for it's tier. I recall vivid and fond memories of this TD. I moved on to the Hetzer (didn't see what the fuss was about, but it was acceptable fun) and then into the StuGIII. I stopped at the StuGIII because the next TD in line only gets more health and armor but uses the same guns and moves slower. It suddenly wasn't a priority.
The PzJgd IV is a tough cookie, but no where near as nimble as the StuG. I haven't decided if I like the JagdPanther. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Ferdinand, but have a long way to go before I unlock it.
xwraith wrote:Heh,

Just had a very good run in a T-28 -- Ace tanker and an Iron Wall award! :mrgreen:

I might grind my way to a KV after all....
Steel Wall with the T-28 is very impressive!
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

ydejin wrote:Steel Wall with the T-28 is very impressive!
Just very lucky that the MM made it Tier II -- V match and I ran into most of the low tier guys on the way in. A Hetzer nearly ruined my day though.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I want to throw my 2cr in and suggest the KV-13 to anyone who likes the KV-1S or other Mediums.

It plays like big heavy T-50, which is interesting and awesome. Even though the top guns have low penetration, they don't seem to drop off so badly over distance and I find myself making hits against Type 59 flanks at 200m with relative ease. The tank itself has a good amount of armor for it's tier and speed, and 1100 health doesn't suck either.

It has two drawbacks. The first is that with a top speed of 60kph, I do tend to find myself always in front and need to learn to reel myself back in a bit and wait for allies to catch up and establish a front; I have found myself in many unfortunate predicaments because of this. The second is the array of guns - they're not intimidating and Heavies know you can only scratch them if you penetrate; I've not yet managed to "hold" a corner because they just come right at me without more than a moment's pause. In one particular round last night in Lakeville, I ran down the eastern road and got well ahead of the allied forces... and ran smack into 2 IS-3's. I popped one in the treads and tried to get into cover, but still got cut in half. By dancing around buildings and alleys, I was able to distract them long enough for artillery to hit them a couple times and for allies to catch up - but damn. I barely survived that round.

This is the first tank I've had that really didn't have much "suck time" even with a 75% trained crew. Right now I'm at a 63% win ratio with it, and even when I'm on the bottom I still feel like I contributed. I'm 22 battles into it, with 14 wins - an a 85% trained Crew with everything researched except the T-43 (22,000xp?!) and the last gun (15,500xp). All I had to get was the Turret and Treads - other components (engines, radio, two guns) came pre-researched from other tanks I have. This tank is going to be elite very quickly and might surpass my KV-1S as my favorite tank.

I also wanted to relay an unfortunate round. Sand River, me and my KV working for the x5 bonus... I was the only tank from the west that went south and I got steamrolled by half a dozen enemies in the dunes. I took down one enemy and battered a couple more, but I just couldn't keep myself alive against that many foes. Despite my poor performance in holding that front all by my lonesome, my team won. I really hate when random battles put too many people in who all like to go the same way and refuse to deviate from their plotted course.

And on a more awesome note - my win rating is now at 52% for my 3,014 battles! Seems like such a small thing to get excited about.

I'm going to try out the XVM overlay and see if I can use it to improve that further. If I can identify and support the statistically better players, it might also bump my win ratio. It looks pretty cool, and I keep hearing more and more people referring to it - like saying "Oh, a 45% Tiger sitting in base, he's an AFK'er." ... you just know how people play based on their stats sometimes. The laws of averages catch up with you over time and if your performance is terrible over the course of 3,000 battles, it'll show on your record like a red stain.

xwraith wrote:
ydejin wrote:Steel Wall with the T-28 is very impressive!
Just very lucky that the MM made it Tier II -- V match and I ran into most of the low tier guys on the way in. A Hetzer nearly ruined my day though.
Still awesome. That's a hard thing to get with the T-28. It's generally considered the flimsiest Medium around.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The low damage of the KV-13 has proven to be more of a problem than I realized it would be. It's a fun tank, but at Tier VII even if I penetrate with every hit, it'll take me 9 shots to kill a single equal foe.
Enlarge Image
Got myself the Ace badge on that one, as well as Confederate and Steel Wall... but despite my best efforts, I couldn't kill a single tank. Not even the T-28.

Also, the T-127 can be nutty on some rounds. Last night I took 107 hits and survived to get 5 kills as one of two tanks left in a round.
Black Lives Matter

ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Paingod wrote:The low damage of the KV-13 has proven to be more of a problem than I realized it would be. It's a fun tank, but at Tier VII even if I penetrate with every hit, it'll take me 9 shots to kill a single equal foe.
Enlarge Image
Got myself the Ace badge on that one, as well as Confederate and Steel Wall... but despite my best efforts, I couldn't kill a single tank. Not even the T-28.

Also, the T-127 can be nutty on some rounds. Last night I took 107 hits and survived to get 5 kills as one of two tanks left in a round.
The KV-13 gun is definitely a big problem. I haven't driven it in a while, but I recall it being relatively sturdy for a medium and decent speed, but just not very good at dealing damage.

That's a crazy After Action Report. Looks like you made some excellent credits too.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It really is crazy. That was probably one of my top 20 best rounds ever - and I didn't kill a single enemy. I was shooting at everything in sight, but I wasn't doing enough damage to break anything. I did 50% to an IS, 40% to another IS, 60% to the T-28, etc. I have never done so much and received zero kills. There's usually at least 2-3 kills mixed in there with that many damaged.

I've dubbed my KV-13 The Tormentor.

I'm also starting to run out of tanks to train. I have one open slot and hit Elite with my S-51 last night. The crew is 86% of the way to Brothers in Arms, so I'm going to stay and finish it before moving into the 212. I have a KV-13 that's a few thousand experience from Elite. Everything else in my corral (except the KV-1S, which is also Elite) is being held mostly because I want spare garage slots or because it's a premium tank I got for free or as a bonus.

I'll probably fill my last garage bay with an IS tonight and piece together a crew for it as I can afford to. From there I'll start the slow plod up to the IS-4 in hopes of hitting it before the next patch so I can achieve 3 free garage bays with 3 100% free crews. With that being my only non-elite tank, it'll get a lot of play.

*Edit: Didn't want to reply to myself like some kind of nut.

Got the IS, and I was right at home in it. Initially I tried to use just the 100mm gun and stock turret, but after four battles of frustratingly low scores I used up 16,000 free experience to buy the treads and turret. I even stripped the Vents/Rammer/GLD off my KV-3 for the IS to use them. Now I've got the 122mm and it's just awesome fun. It feels like my KV-1S - almost exactly like it - but with more health and armor. I've been averaging 1000xp rounds with it almost every time (unless someone just catches me with my pants down or I run into a Tier IX/X tank and get hosed)

I even had a few really good rounds last night where I was part of an actual "push" - not just a group of Heavies all sitting and waiting to see who cornered first, but actually pushing through an enemy camp and flanking/crushing them. DAMN it felt good. For one I was the "flanker" in my IS and as soon as the opposing IS-3 fired I ran out and around him. He initially tried to track me with his gun but decided our IS-3 was a bigger threat - I got behind him and chased off/killed his supporting Medium and then turned around to ram him and fire at him to kill him. The KV-5 he had near him fell shortly after.

IS - I'm lovin' it. Just 90,000xp until the IS-3 (I want the engine first and will need to save up credits for a long time anyway).

Re: The KV-13. This tank is still a lot of fun, but the MM seems to like to stick me either in last place where my best target is a Type 59 (which I can only get down to 50% before they kill me 1 on 1) - OR - it sticks me in a top slot, and I'm supposed to be the equal of a Tier VII Heavy. ?!? ... So I do have a lot of fun with it, but given the relatively ineffective gun I'm almost a detriment to the team because I can't kill anything (thus removing a threat from the board). It's just in a weird place. I enjoy the tank and enjoy driving it, but when it comes to combat I can't figure out how to benefit my team in a meaningful way. I suppose I could hide behind the KV and shoot what he shoots.

I might end up selling it off and finally moving into the Tier VI German TD that I've been putting off for a while.
Black Lives Matter

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

So....

M4 E3 or M4 E8? I'm getting close and I'm having problems deciding...
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I imagine it depends entirely on where you want to go.

Are you going to shortcut into the TD line and aim for the T95? Are you after the Patton? Is your goal the T1105E?

I've unlocked almost all of the USSR tank lines except the IS-3, IS-4, IS-7, T-44, T-54. I've even got the Object 212 researched and could move on towards the 261. The only thing I'm missing is the TD line. I was going through Germany for that. I'm still not sure what I want to be my first "top tier" tank. It'll probably end up being the 261 by default because artillery is so easy to earn credits with.

I have, for the time being, let my Premium status lapse and will probably take a break from the game. Having had a Premium account, I can't imagine now giving up the extra 50% income and experience it gives you. I've been into it for two months solid now and it's time for me to get some different stimulation.

I'll come back some time after the next patch and find myself in possession of two new tanks with fully trained crews, but won't have any qualms with selling those off. I've been feeling the 'pinch' of restricted garage space and don't want to sell anything I have but would also want to get more tanks. :roll:
Black Lives Matter

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Paingod wrote:I'll come back some time after the next patch and find myself in possession of two new tanks with fully trained crews
Really? I wasn't aware this was coming, what two new tanks do we get?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It depends on what you've got in the garage. They're adding lines and tanks to the USSR tree.

If you've got a KV in your garage with the KV-2 turret researched, you'll get a free garage bay and a KV-2 tank.
If you've got a KV-3 in your garage, it'll get bumped to Tier VII and you'll get a free Tier VI replacement and garage bay.
If you've got an IS-4 in your garage, it'll get bumped to Tier X and you'll get a free Tier IX replacement and garage bay.

I have the KV and KV-3. I'm not going to bother trying to get the IS-4, though I might be able to before the patch. I've had enough of the game for a bit, but it'll be nice to come back to some free stuff.
Black Lives Matter

xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Paingod wrote:It depends on what you've got in the garage. They're adding lines and tanks to the USSR tree.

If you've got a KV in your garage with the KV-2 turret researched, you'll get a free garage bay and a KV-2 tank.
If you've got a KV-3 in your garage, it'll get bumped to Tier VII and you'll get a free Tier VI replacement and garage bay.
If you've got an IS-4 in your garage, it'll get bumped to Tier X and you'll get a free Tier IX replacement and garage bay.

I have the KV and KV-3. I'm not going to bother trying to get the IS-4, though I might be able to before the patch. I've had enough of the game for a bit, but it'll be nice to come back to some free stuff.
Ah cool, I just bought my KV just a couple days ago and it's only like 2000XP to the turret...
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Been playing more and am finally finished with the KV-3 (MM hates it with a passion). Now have a nearly stock IS (have the 100mm). It is not a good tank stock. It does not have the speed to flank, and the gun is pretty weak. It also seems to be even weaker than the KV-3, not sure how that is possible. I did succumb and bought a lowe. Its one of my fun tanks now. The MM is obviously designed so that if you spend money you win the MM game. Its like night and day. I have a chance to hurt every tank I am fighting against instead of being dead weight on a team. Also picked up a Churchill when it was on sale for like $2. Its a fun tank, though it rolls over and dies if it has to fight a KV. It chews threw lower level tanks though, and the MM is kind to it. On most other tanks I take the time to aim before I fire, on the Churchill I just fire as soon as it reloads. I still need to pick up equipment for it and it should be a blast to play.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

The more I play this game the more I like it.

I played my first round with my Hetzer the other day. That tank is so slow all I could do is park it on a ridge near the starting base and look for someone to plink. Suddenly a medium tank rammed my side and locked our treads together and just kept shooting at me. All I could think of was this was probably used as a real tactic against turretless tank destroyers.

I have a question, when I did the "missions" at the end of them they gave me a free M3 Stuart. Odd thing is it's a russian M3 - if I want to upgrade it (or can't I?) do I research down the american line or the russian line. Or is the thing not upgradeable. It came with 100% crew also. It's a pretty sweet tank, I've done some serious damage with it.
Xbox360 Gamertag: Lord Polish
Steam: LordPolish
WoW (Durotan): Valstaff (Mage), Kankle (Warrior) - inactive
Eve: Meticulus - Miner Supreme! - Inactive
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

KiloOhm wrote:I played my first round with my Hetzer the other day. That tank is so slow all I could do is park it on a ridge near the starting base and look for someone to plink. Suddenly a medium tank rammed my side and locked our treads together and just kept shooting at me. All I could think of was this was probably used as a real tactic against turretless tank destroyers.
When any tank has to deal with a Tank Destroyer, they generally prefer to mash themselves up against you and prevent you from turning to hit them. The Hetzer might be slow to move, but it has a great traverse rate that would make it very easy for you to hit someone who's simply trying to circle you. When I play a scout tank, I always prefer to run into Tank Destoryers and shoot them in the ass. It's the easiest way to kill them.

As a Tank Destroyer, or any tank that has glaring weaknesses (SPG's are paper-thin, TD's have naked butts) you'll want to pay more than a usual amount of attention to the mini-map. It shows you everyone that's been spotted by any ally within radio range. You can see the flow of the battle and determine where the best place to be or aim ahead of time. That guy who rammed you was probably spotted long before he got to you, and he could have been your lunch if you had seen him coming.

Before you get too much further, you might want to check out the World of Tanks Wiki, particularly the Battle Mechanics section. This will explain a lot of why people do the things they do in the game, and give insight into how to improve your play.

While the game prides itself on using "realistic" tank models and equipment, it remains a game still. People will do things no tank in reality ever would have done.
KiloOhm wrote:I have a question, when I did the "missions" at the end of them they gave me a free M3 Stuart. Odd thing is it's a russian M3 - if I want to upgrade it (or can't I?) do I research down the american line or the russian line. Or is the thing not upgradeable. It came with 100% crew also. It's a pretty sweet tank, I've done some serious damage with it.
I must have completely missed some part of the game. The M3 Stuart Lend-Lease is a premium tank. Don't sell it unless you absolutely need to as you can't buy it back. As a "Premium" tank, it'll earn more credits per fight than a comparable tank, and the crew can be swapped into any similar class vehicle at no retraining cost. The only problem with it is that it's a dead-end tank and doesn't lead anywhere.

I'd recommend - strongly - that you stick the crew in the barracks before selling any tank. This way you can re-use them if you'd like (they can be retrained) or put them back in the tank if you want it again. I discovered this a ways into my play and wish I had kept my earlier crews. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you do with them as you can always train more, it just takes time.
Black Lives Matter

KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Thanks for the reply.

The missions are the tutorial, it basically brings you through the first 3 tank tiers by giving you some pretty generic goals. You can "turn them off" so maybe that's what you did? Or maybe they added them in a later patch. At the end of the training (8th mission) it gave me a free tank, the Stuart. I didn't realize it was a premium tank and I definately won't sell it (it's a lot of fun). It's no wonder I do so well with it. I saw that I was ranked in the top half of my tank destroyers class and I was ranked in the top 20% of stuart class tanks (even though I liked the Marder II more than the Stuart). It being a premium tank with 100% crew surely helps that a lot.

I got a taste of this game at PAX East, they gave me a card with 2200 free gold and a code for a month of a premium account. I was waiting on the premium account activation for when I was more confortable with how and what to grind with since from what I can tell, the only advantage is 50% more money / exp.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

KiloOhm wrote:The missions are the tutorial, it basically brings you through the first 3 tank tiers by giving you some pretty generic goals. You can "turn them off" so maybe that's what you did? Or maybe they added them in a later patch. At the end of the training (8th mission) it gave me a free tank, the Stuart.
I went looking and I think they did add that with the last patch. When I played, you just got dumped into your choice of the Tier I tanks - LOLTraktor, MS-1, Cunningham - and had to work up from there.
KiloOhm wrote:I didn't realize it was a premium tank and I definately won't sell it (it's a lot of fun). It's no wonder I do so well with it. I saw that I was ranked in the top half of my tank destroyers class and I was ranked in the top 20% of stuart class tanks (even though I liked the Marder II more than the Stuart). It being a premium tank with 100% crew surely helps that a lot.
The 100% trained crew is a HUGE thing. What I've discovered over the course of my 3,000+ battles is that almost no tank (except one that plays almost identically to one you've already got, which is rare) ever "feels" right until the Crew is 95%+ trained. Crew training improves everything, which is why "Improved Ventilation" (+5% crew skill) is a preferred module to add to a tank. Crew skill reduces reload time, decreases aim time, improves turning speed and acceleration, and increases radio and visual ranges. It's just great to have a tank with a 100% trained crew - which is why some people spend Gold on it, to bypass the "suck" or "meh" phase of a crew's skill with the tank. I've never done it and probably never will; I don't mind training them and saving $$.

BUT - since that is a Premium tank - you can drop that 100% crew into, say, a T-46 and have them work at 100% efficiency there as well. Awesome. Read up on how that works in the wiki.
KiloOhm wrote:I got a taste of this game at PAX East, they gave me a card with 2200 free gold and a code for a month of a premium account. I was waiting on the premium account activation for when I was more confortable with how and what to grind with since from what I can tell, the only advantage is 50% more money / exp.
The BIG advantage is the 50% experience and money. It also spiffs up your garage, lets you make platoons, and I believe even your Crew members gain experience faster than normal. There's a wide range of things you can do with the gold, but those are all less beneficial than having a Premium account. One thing you might be able to do is buy another Premium tank - a Matilda or Churchill. Premium tanks generally have some flaw but work for people that know how to use them. Ex: The Churchill is a monster for killing anything lower-tier than it is with a rapid fire cannon that does fair damage but has somewhat low penetration ... but against anything equal or higher it's almost useless.

When I play my Tier VI tanks, with a Premium account, I'll earn 1,100xp and 45,000cr in a good round. Without Premium, that would be 733xp and 30,000cr. When you play a thousand battles that way, it's a substantial amount of gain over someone who hasn't used Premium. Basically, having had a Premium account, I can't imagine wanting to go without it now.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ENDWARNA

Victory Day Code. Get 5x of the premium skill boosters for each nationality and a day of premium - good until the May 15th.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Paingod wrote:ENDWARNA

Victory Day Code. Get 5x of the premium skill boosters for each nationality and a day of premium - good until the May 15th.
Thank you. I've only plays sporadically over the last few months but i could use the boost. Having more fun last night with my TDs than tanks.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

I read somewhere that your reticle will tell you if your shot has a chance of penetrating or not, and what spot on their tank you're aiming at will also change this chance - I can't for the life of me figure out what the indicator is on the reticle. One bar is damage, one is reload and the circle is red when reloading and green when loaded. What am I missing??
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

KiloOhm wrote:I read somewhere that your reticle will tell you if your shot has a chance of penetrating or not, and what spot on their tank you're aiming at will also change this chance - I can't for the life of me figure out what the indicator is on the reticle. One bar is damage, one is reload and the circle is red when reloading and green when loaded. What am I missing??
I believe it's the actual ^ icon that's pointing to where your shot will go in the center of the target ring. It'll change colors as you move over targets. I've honestly never paid attention to this kind of thing. What you'll need to know more is where to aim vs. waving your mouse around looking for a good place to aim.

Start by getting a feel for the "general" armor characteristics that tanks have by reading about them in the wiki. 120/90/70 - 120 armor on the front, 90 on the sides, 70 on the rear. Knowing your gun's penetration value and matching it mentally against the armor values of your opponents is the quickest and easiest way to know if you should be shooting for general hits, looking for aimed soft spots, or getting the hell out of dodge and let someone else take a crack at the foe.

There are several resources out there that can help you learn where the weak points on a lot of tanks are; especially if one really annoys you. I hated the Type 59 until I studied up on how to kill them, and then suddenly they stopped being impervious threats that beat my ass silly. Now they're just normal foes that I can stand a chance against given the right conditions. They're still higher-tier than anything I have, but at least I put up a good fight now.

For most of the top-tier heavies, you'll find yourself looking at them dead-on. When this happens, try aiming for the lower glacius plate, which is generally thinner than other armors; on German tanks, which tend to have transmissions in the front, you can actually set the engine on fire with a successful hit here - destroying the engine from the front of the tank. Another favorite general target area for me is where the treads connect to the chassis in the front or rear - hitting there is generally easy if they're turned away from you or coming around a building and seems to penetrate fairly regularly - and stands a chance to knocking the treads off; just don't aim low or the shot might pass through without harm.

Some tanks also have glaring weak spots, like hatch covers, that can be penetrated easily by most tanks - but these vary tank to tank. On the Type 59, what you'll want to do is hit the treads to knock it sideways, and then aim dead center on the side of chassis. On the left side of the tank this is a ammo bin - which if destroyed will detonate and take the tank out.

When all else fails, you can install hitbox mods that add colored "paint" on every tank model to show clearly where each is vulnerable. I've never used this because 1. it feels like cheating and 2. it's ugly and breaks immersion - but they can help you grasp the best places to shoot and once you get good enough, uninstall it. Just try not to make it a crutch.
Black Lives Matter

KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

You were right, that little ^ changes color based on penetration.

I mainly use it because being a TD class most of the time, I'm pitted up against tanks as high as 3 tiers above me. Some of them I can barely scratch. I'd rather stay hiding and wait for a better angle because up against those beasts I die quickly.

Just got enough research for my StuG, saving up the cash to buy it with a 75% crew...going to take a while. I'll be stuck on the STUG for a long time.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

8.0 is out. Release Notes:

4 Soviet TDs added, physics updated, camouflage updated, improved graphics starting to roll out, and a truckload of rebalancing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

More than anything else, the physics has me interested. I'd love to see people fall off cliffs and over ledges. There was always a certain 'safety' in running madly, knowing you'd simply slide off the terrain instead of falling to your death.
Black Lives Matter

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Physics isn't too bad if you're careful. You can slide down hills and only damage your tracks. It's actually opened up a lot of new firing positions as people are willing to take some damage to get to a spot to shoot.

The new graphics engine is also very well optimized. I have everything maxed out and it looks great.

Now, if only they would stop being braindead and allow platoons larger than 3.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Isgrimnur wrote:8.0 is out. Release Notes:

4 Soviet TDs added, physics updated, camouflage updated, improved graphics starting to roll out, and a truckload of rebalancing.

I nearly totaled my t-50 last night going over a small ledge, lost my engine, tracks, and something else. I do think the physics will help things out. The improved graphics are also pretty nice. I think the big thing is that now you can opt out of assault and encounter maps. Those may be fine in a platoon or company battles, but they are no fun in pugs.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Turtle wrote:Now, if only they would stop being braindead and allow platoons larger than 3.
Something people grumble about in other MMO-Tactial-FPS type games is that playing in a basic PUG means being automagically steamrolled by a group of 8 people working together in an 8v8.

I'm almost glad that they limit it to 3 for random matches so people actually playing randomly aren't just perpetual fodder for larger organized groups.
Black Lives Matter

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Paingod wrote: Something people grumble about in other MMO-Tactial-FPS type games is that playing in a basic PUG means being automagically steamrolled by a group of 8 people working together in an 8v8.

I'm almost glad that they limit it to 3 for random matches so people actually playing randomly aren't just perpetual fodder for larger organized groups.
I understand your issue, however, that argument only works if the developers are also braindead enough to not balance the matchmaking to factor in groups.

League of Legends, and a variety of other games that support parties/groups already do this. In any match, they just make sure that there are an equal number of groups that are the same or similar sizes, and of similar skill if it tracks that.

LoL does this by making sure that any groups are only matched against other groups of the same size. If there is less than the max of 5 players, it will pickup 2 random pubs.

In the age of modern search algorithms and widespread free to play online games, this argument is pretty pointless by now. I chalk it up to the developers simply not wanting to dedicate time and money to fixing their matchmaking. They're already making a lot of money with the current matchmaking in place, even if not optimal. But, F2P games are all about the social aspect bringing in more paying customers, thus allowing players to group up as much as possible benefits them as much as it does the player base.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

Anyone still playing this? I started to take it up and was going to add people to my list so I have an ally! :)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

The Preacher wrote:Anyone still playing this? I started to take it up and was going to add people to my list so I have an ally! :)
I tend to go in spurts. I'll binge for a weekend or two and then not play for a month or two. You can add me to your friends list if you want, although I might not be back on for a while -- I played something crazy like 450 matches in February and I think I'm temporarily burned out. WoT name is: Dejin. North American server.

If you're looking for a more active community discussion the Broken Forum (where some of the members of Qt3 moved) has a fair number of players including some who are very good. And can help provide advice.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I have been playing WoT a lot lately (since I quit WoW finally, lol). I must say I am having a blast. Have not spent any money on the game yet, but the writing is on the wall, as I am not sure I can put up with the time investment required to access tier 6 and higher tanks. Initially I felt that their free-to-play model was just too punishing, that it just took too long to progress up the tech trees. But now I can see why they did it and think they did a pretty good job wetting the appetite just enough to get people hooked before they ramp up the requirements for future tiers.

Still can't decide what type of tank I like best. Gotten pretty good at scouting with my light tanks (some of them anyway, the slower light tanks suck balls). So far I have just focused on the american, german, and russian lines. Got a medium tier 5 german tank that I am also pretty good with. Recently got a few tank destroyers (german and american) and am loving those so far. I seem to get more kills with those, usually by just setting up in a good defensive spot. Gotten 3-4 kills on several matches with those. For awhile I was just too gungho and would overextend myself or get into battles I was sure to lose. Doing a lot better hanging back some, as well as identifying a losing stand while I can still fall back safely. While I have access to a heavy or two, I have not picked one up yet. Same with artillery. Really need to try one just to get a feel for how to better avoid getting killed by them.

Many many years ago I was an avid advanced squad leader player. Had all the expansion packs. It awesome how the level of detail regarding the tanks in that game is very similar to WoT. I even recognize a large portion of tanks from chits back then.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

I am still playing off and on. Up to tier 9 heavies in the US and Russian lines. I think I have around 10-15 tanks currently a few low tier, but most are 7+. I have been playing less lately due to the atrocious match maker. The change to MM around July really screwed it up. Before that I had a win rate of 52% and climbing. After the change I am lucky to pull 30% some nights. The mindless stupidity of some of the teams is just ridiculous. People just seem to turn into lemmings. I can understand it at low tiers when people are just learning to play, but it is unbelievably frustrating in high tier matchups. You would think after 4k+ games people would learn that not covering flanks is a bad idea, and charging through a swampy valley leads to losses.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Genghis wrote:The mindless stupidity of some of the teams is just ridiculous. People just seem to turn into lemmings. I can understand it at low tiers when people are just learning to play, but it is unbelievably frustrating in high tier matchups. You would think after 4k+ games people would learn that not covering flanks is a bad idea, and charging through a swampy valley leads to losses.
Agreed, I find the lemming, not-covering-the-flanks because everyone is going that other way, behavior very annoying.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really dont play much at all now but when I do I play my low tier stuff. The heavies just are not fun to me like the little fast guys are. In heavies half the people camp and the other half run out and die. Its no fun. the low tiers are all over the map running and shooting..really fun.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Daehawk wrote:I really dont play much at all now but when I do I play my low tier stuff. The heavies just are not fun to me like the little fast guys are. In heavies half the people camp and the other half run out and die. Its no fun. the low tiers are all over the map running and shooting..really fun.
I prefer mediums, they're fast enough to get places, but still have at least some staying power. I suck at lights, plus light tanks tend to end up in high tier battles because the way the match maker works.

I agree mid-tier battles are a lot of fun. I've played a lot with 5-7 tiers tanks, even though I've got Tier 9 and one Tier 10 (M48A1 Patton) in the garage.
KDH

Post by KDH »

For those of you that didn't notice ... WoT won a Golden Joysticks placement. In celebration of that momentous occasion, ALL players registered BEFORE the 8.9 patch release (soon) will be gifted a new tank and garage parking slot for it

Golden Joystick Awards 2013: We've Won!

:dance: the parking space, alone, is worth 300 gold ... THREE HUNDRED GOLD!!!!!
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Time to log in after many months and test that new tanks.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:whistle: .. According to Image ..

8.9 is Nearly Here! ... the new patch is due for North America on Oct 31

:coffee: New Additions to the German Tech Tree

A new set of tank destroyers have been added to the German line:

Marder III (Tier IV)
Pz.Sfl.IVc (Tier V)
Nashorn (Tier VI)
Pz.Sfl.V (Sturer Emil) (Tier VII)
Rhm.-Borsig Waffenträger (Tier VIII)
Waffenträger auf Pz.IV (Tier IX)
Waffenträger auf E 100 (Tier X)

:coffee: More New Tanks

Added the Chinese Premium vehicles T-34-3 and 112 to the in-game shop
Added T7 Combat Car (tier II light tank) plus Garage slot for all pre-existing accounts (see here)
The following vehicles are added to the Premium Shop:
Tier VI Chinese Light Tank: Type 64
Tier V Japanese Medium Tank: Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai

:coffee: New Game Mode: Team Battle

8.9 will introduce a new game mode to find in your battle selection dropdown menu; Team Battle! Here's the rules in brief:

The maximum length of a battle is 10 minutes
Battles are of the standard type
Each team can pick vehicles no higher than tier VIII, and point costs of no more than 42. For example, tier I vehicles cost 1 point, tier II costs 2 points, and so on
A standard team consists of 7 players. Teams which consist of 5 or 6 players are permitted to participate; however, for each missing player, the team will lose 1 point

Team Battle offers more concentrated matchmaking for teams/players, pitting similarly-skilled tankers against one another.

:coffee: Rebalancing

Most notably, due to the new German TD tech tree, the Panzerjäger I and Marder II were rebalanced. Many more tweaks to tanks have been made in this version, which you can find in the full Release Notes linked below.

:coffee: Personal Rating Changes

Personal Rating is a representation of a player’s skill and experience within World of Tanks. By participating in games, a player learns the nuances of tactics and game mechanics, polishes new skills, and starts to learn the game in general. But in the first version of ‘Personal Rating,’ the importance of the battle amount was overvalued. That’s why we decided to rework the influence of this parameter. Now, during Personal Rating calculations, the amount of battles is a coefficient which multiplies the sum of other formula components.

Reduced the battle limit for Personal Rating calculations
Added limit to avoid dramatically increasing rating by abusing several percentage parameters
Removed low limits from 'average damage' and 'average XP per battle.' This was done in order to improve player statistics, and players who want to improve and show class in overall game skills without concentrating on one parameter and disregarding another.

:coffee: New Map: Northwest

This rustic, rural location may have been a peaceful, agricultural haven at one time, but these days, it is only host to hostile machinery. Northwest features a scenic, pastoral setting marked by farm equipment and open fields.

This map provides a good variety of high and low hotspots, as well as plenty of camouflage opportunities, as the map is peppered with trees. Don't get too distracted by the scenery, because getting caught in the open on Northwest is a recipe for destruction.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

KDH wrote::whistle: .. According to Image ..

8.9 is Nearly Here! ... the new patch is due for North America on Oct 31
:coffee: Rebalancing

....Most notably, due to the new German TD tech tree, the Panzerjäger I and Marder II were rebalanced....
Boo! Hiss!!
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
KDH

Post by KDH »

Although I do not see an official "news" listing for it (I skimmed) ... World of Tanks is gifting ME, and maybe YOU too, with a 24 hour premium account. (increased credits and XP)

what better past time on turkey day than to blast a few tanks, eh? .... I had 23 hours left before I noticed, don't know if the clock runs without you being logged in

ciao, baby

edit ... OK, I found it ...

Mission: Turkey Day

Restrictions:

Random battles only; once per account

Condition:

Win one battle

Reward:

1 day of Premium time
KDH

Post by KDH »

:pop: .... National Geographic Megafactories: Wargaming (44 minutes)

.... it's a beautiful spring morning in Kiev

(I'm posting this before viewing it in its entirety .. so if, midway, it changes to Barbie's Dressup Playhouse .. not my fault)