Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, I was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger when I saw the 4 pack deal was 2.50 off each. With my somewhat newfound cheapness, I figure I should check around to see if anyone else is interested in taking the plunge.

Anyone want in on a 4 pack?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote:Well, I was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger when I saw the 4 pack deal was 2.50 off each. With my somewhat newfound cheapness, I figure I should check around to see if anyone else is interested in taking the plunge.

Anyone want in on a 4 pack?
Yeah, I'll be 2 of 4.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, we've got 2.

Any others? $7.50 for Terraria. Save 2 bucks fiddy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

STEAM wanted me to tell you that Freezer-TPF- and Bakhtosh want the game. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:STEAM wanted me to tell you that Freezer-TPF- and Bakhtosh want the game. :D
Steam, despite my misgivings and outright disagreements with how you operate at certain levels, you are awesome.

I'll pm them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As I guessed, because I purchased it already it's on sale as part of the Summer Camp thingy.

A 4 pack is down to $22.49 -- which is ridiculous.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:As I guessed, because I purchased it already it's on sale as part of the Summer Camp thingy.

A 4 pack is down to $22.49 -- which is ridiculous.
Sweet Mary.

Come guys, we still need 2 more. $5.62.5 each!

Let's do this thing!

(I hope my paypal account is still active).

Actually, the mechanics are that one person buys it and gifts the other 3 copies, is that right? No time limit on gifting I assume? If so, I'll just buy it now and if someone is interested I can gift the extra copies later.

Hey Meal! I know you have an extra copy of something or other. Want to trade whatever it is (frozen synapse maybe?) for one of these? Or maybe you own this already. Or there is a price inequality. We can work something out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Edit: And 16 meg install? Most installers are more than that these days. Tiny. Relative to today's standard.

Edit2: Ok Arch, game sent. Have fun. Tell us about it here in this thread.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote:Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Edit: And 16 meg install? Most installers are more than that these days. Tiny. Relative to today's standard.

Looks like you found me!
PM me your PayPal or whatever method you want to receive compensation.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Archinerd wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Looks like you found me!
PM me your PayPal or whatever method you want to receive compensation.
Unless you're in a rush to pay I'll probably leave it for a few days...weeks....months. I tend to procrastinate. I haven't looked at paypal in a few years, I have changed my email since the last time I used it and I expect it to be a pain to get working again. So no worries and definitely no rush, although I will get to it eventually.

edit: Sorry to mess up the thread, I'll take it to PM if we need to talk further.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Yeah, I'm in. I can paypal my share. Frozen Synapse is already spoken for.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote:Yeah, I'm in. I can paypal my share. Frozen Synapse is already spoken for.
Okey dokey.

Er....what's your handle? I can't find you in the OO group.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

If there's a copy left, I'm in :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sorry, gh. I pm'ed my info and I think was the fourth.

[edit:] Whoops. I was actually number three!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote:Sorry, gh. I pm'ed my info and I think was the fourth.

[edit:] Whoops. I was actually number three!
Yep. I'll gift you the last copy Godhugh.

Edit: The Meal should have his copy now. Godhugh, I see you, but you're not a friend and Steam won't let me gift a non-friend apparently. I've added you but am still unable to gift it to you. I assume Steam is waiting for you to accept the friendship (or something).

For everyone, my paypal account is in limbo and I hadn't planned on looking at it in the near future. Unless someone is of the kind of person who must discharge all debt asap, I'll probably get to it in a week or two. I'll let you all know when it's ready to go. The account is hooked to an email that no longer exists so I expect it to be a pain.

I'm in no rush to get the money, if no one is in a rush to pay it, cool. But I also understand some people are uncomfortable until they've paid money they owe, so I don't want to mess with those people (if we have any). Blah blah blah.

I'm in no rush. I'll let you know when paypal is ready to accept money.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Paypal at your convenience is most convenient for me, but I'll be afk between mid-July and early August, so if you don't get to it before then, don't think I skipped town on your USD 5.xx!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote:Paypal at your convenience is most convenient for me, but I'll be afk between mid-July and early August, so if you don't get to it before then, don't think I skipped town on your USD 5.xx!
Not an problem.

Oh, and it looks like you were added to my friends list after the gifting/accepting. Kinda odd.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote: For everyone, my paypal account is in limbo and I hadn't planned on looking at it in the near future. Unless someone is of the kind of person who must discharge all debt asap, I'll probably get to it in a week or two. I'll let you all know when it's ready to go. The account is hooked to an email that no longer exists so I expect it to be a pain.
As long as you're cool with this, that's fine with me. If you're $5.00 +/- short to buy a cheeseburger though, don't look at me.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, Godhugh has the 4th and final one.

Not sure when I'll get to play it, but probably this weekend.

Thread makes it sound interesting. We'll see. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Uh...how do I pause/change options/quit once the game is going? Standard ways don't see to be working.

Ok, going to inventory pops up a save and exit option too. Sorry about that.
Kal

Post by Kal »

I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There is. Thanks. Although all it says is "Autopause: On/Off" so I didn't know what criteria it used to decide. But really I just wanted to quit and didn't realize you could do that off the inventory screen.

I...have no idea what I'm doing. I thought I had figured out crafting (I made torches) but other things I can't seem to make, even though I have the materials. Presumably there are other requisites that I don't realize (like a work bench etc). If it says so on the crafting screen then I'm missing it.

Not complaining, just writing down my initial experiences.

I also lowered the resolution as I found my monitor native rez caused my character to be too small for my old eyes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everything you need to know for getting started.

There's a bit of a curve in getting used to how the world works, but it all comes together. When you find something in the game and you have no clue what it's for, bring it back to your NPC guide and go into his "Crafting" option. You'll be able to drag the item into a list that will show you what the items can be used to create.

Good luck.

:horse:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My guide got eaten by zombies.

Problem?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Smoove_B wrote:Everything you need to know for getting started.

There's a bit of a curve in getting used to how the world works, but it all comes together. When you find something in the game and you have no clue what it's for, bring it back to your NPC guide and go into his "Crafting" option. You'll be able to drag the item into a list that will show you what the items can be used to create.

Good luck.

:horse:
Thanks.
I figured since I had played Minecraft I'd be able to just jump right in. Turns out things are a little more complex than I thought.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

GreenGoo wrote:My guide got eaten by zombies.

Problem?
Your guide will respawn. Just remember to build rooms for NPCs... has to have a door, a back wall, a table and a chair.. oh and a light.

Z
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, he'll come back. :D

I didn't know about the house building either the first time I was playing so I just started digging into a mountain and the NPC followed me in. I then slapped up a wall behind us to stop the slimes from coming in and then freaked out when the sun went down and the monsters came out.

The next day I created a shack and the rest...is history.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Kal wrote:I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.
There's a definite trade-off. With the option off, you are more maneuverable when using the menu system. With the option on, you can leave your computer at any time, with the game paused. That's especially nice for those of us with small children who may need attention.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I learned the hard way about not having the pause enabled during a kid-related absence. Death = 50% of your money (rounded up) gone.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not much for sandbox games these days, as my creativity is near zero. Ditto imagination. But I'm trying. I have 4 houses up and a wooden sword so the zombies aren't so bad atm.

I have a question. I skimmed off 1 layer of top soil to level a large area. Unfortunately that level still has a dark dirt background, so when I built my house over it, I could only put up wooden walls where the previous top soil wasn't. I.e. the layer of top soil that I dug up is still interfering with my walls, although it appears to be background graphics.

Any solution? If it's not clear I'll try to rephrase.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Craft a hammer to get rid of the dirt wall.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The Meal wrote:Craft a hammer to get rid of the dirt wall.
Huh. I have a hammer. I never thought that it was a wall. Well that makes sense. Thanks.

edit: That was it. Not sure how I missed it, but thanks.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

you should craft a wall to place behind all rooms
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zarni wrote:you should craft a wall to place behind all rooms
But not a dirt wall as monsters can spawn in areas with dirt walls.
Kal

Post by Kal »

Klif wrote:
Kal wrote:I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.
There's a definite trade-off. With the option off, you are more maneuverable when using the menu system. With the option on, you can leave your computer at any time, with the game paused. That's especially nice for those of us with small children who may need attention.
Or running to the toilet.... :|

You dont need to take cash with you, I tend to leave mine in a chest or a piggy bank.

Also yeah a lot of the crafting items, in fact most, will require you to be in front of or near to a piece of furniture to craft it. The workbench is the first of these but wont elaborate as I fear breaching into low-level spoiler territory.
Glycerine

Post by Glycerine »

I've been playing this almost obsessively for the last week. I just wrapped up my first medium sized world and started a new large one. I've already built a tower fortress and started on a mine going straight done to the bottom so I can mine hellstone and obsidian. A very addictive game, can't wait to see where they take it from here.

Here's a shot of home base, along with the beginnings of the mine below:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kal wrote: You dont need to take cash with you, I tend to leave mine in a chest or a piggy bank.
If you build a chest and put your cash in it, is it protected from the 1/2 money penalty from death? i.e. is only the cash on your person halved when you die?

Also, I suck at this. But I've had my son watching videos all day (beautiful sunny day :? ) so he has more than enough suggestions for me.

For the record I was outside doing yardwork while my other 2 played in the kiddie pool/sprinkler.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Glycerine wrote:I've been playing this almost obsessively for the last week. I just wrapped up my first medium sized world and started a new large one. I've already built a tower fortress and started on a mine going straight done to the bottom so I can mine hellstone and obsidian. A very addictive game, can't wait to see where they take it from here.

Here's a shot of home base, along with the beginnings of the mine below:

[img]snip[/img]
Son says your castle is "pretty cool!" and is commenting on your architecture. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, how do you swim? Starting to get annoyed. Is the key not to go in the water?
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

You have to find the swimming fins to do that. its an item found while exploring.