Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

DonD

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by DonD »

Click on the bed to make it your active spawn location. Whichever one you set is where you respawn.
XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Bump for 1.1.

Here are the patch notes:
Spoiler:
NPC’s

• There are thirty-six new monsters!
• The underworld has a new master, the Wall of Flesh. Defeating him will unlock new challenges for your world.
• There are three harder versions of the older bosses.
• There are now three new friendly NPC’s that can be rescued after specific conditions are met.
• The Dryad will now tell you the percentage of Corruption vs. Hallow in the world.

•New NPCs will spawn in their homes underground, instead of on the surface.
•Worms will no longer spawn when near a friendly NPC.
•Underground towns will now reduce, and eventually stop, enemy spawning.
• Made several small changes to allow for better underground cities.

Items

• Added thirty-nine statues that are scattered around the world. Some of them do special things when activated with mechanics!
• Star Cannon : Shoots faster.
• Sandgun : Sand shot from it does more damage, and it shoots faster.
• Blowpipe : Now listed as ranged.
• Goblins no longer drop rocket boots during an invasion. Instead they are sold by a new NPC that can be rescued underground after the player has defeated the Goblin Army.
• Boomerang type weapons are listed as melee.
• Added four new armor sets. Each set has different helms that give bonuses to melee, ranged, or magic, respectively.
• There are twenty-one new accessories.
• Weapons and accessories can now have random conditions that modify their stats. These conditions can be changed for a price by visiting a new NPC.
• The crafting requirements for Molten and Jungle gear have been reduced.
• Some accessories can now be combined at a Tinkerer’s Workshop.
• Colored Torches can now be crafted out of Gems and Torches.
• Added Mannequins that are crafted out of wood. Place armor on them for decoration/storage.
• Added the Wrench to place wires.
• Added Wire Cutters to remove wires.
• Added Pressure Plates, Switches, and Timers to activate devices.
• Added Music Boxes that record and play in-game music.
• Added Pumps to transport liquids.
• Added loads of other new items and weapons waiting to be found!
• Putting the Guide Voodoo Doll in lava is now a bad idea...or is it?

Lighting / Display

• Terraria now has smooth, colored lighting! You can toggle between the four lighting modes: Color, White, • Retro, and Trippy in the Options Menu or by pressing F7.
• Made several lighting and display optimizations to increase game performance.
• Added automatic graphic quality adjustment based on the game’s frame rate. This setting can be toggled • in the Options Menu.

Multiplayer

• Fixed a problem with item syncing for newly connected players.
• Fixed a bug that caused graphical issues for player’s using automatic weapons.
• Added a limit to how often the server can broadcast NPC update packets. This prevents NPC’s from trying to update every cycle which would cause massive amounts of lag.
• Reduced the amount of data needed to transmit tiles down to 25%.
• The server now only broadcasts tile data to the players who need it.
• The server now withholds some NPC, player, and projectile packets based on player distance from them.
• Fixed a bug where water is consumed when a player cures Corruption with Purification Powder while standing in water.

World

• Above ground tunnels may now be created during world gen.
• Smashing Demon Altars with a special item will cause new ore to appear around the world.
• Defeating the hell boss will now increase the difficulty of the world. Harder monsters will spawn, and the Corruption’s rate of spread will be greatly increased.
• Defeating the hell boss will allow the Corruption to spread underground, over sand, stone, and Sunflowers, and through Jungles, destroying them if you let it!
• There is a new biome, The Hallow, that will be created when the hell boss is defeated.
• Removed obsolete lighting code, reducing both RAM usage and world save file sizes.
• Added several small features to world gen.
• Tweaked the way and amount of Underground Mushroom biome spawn.
• Demon Torches now appear in shelters generated in the underworld.
• Underground cabins may randomly spawn around chests.
• Different styles of wall can now be placed next to one another without showing the background between them, allowing for more creative building.
• When nearing the top of the world, the player will now leave the atmosphere and be less affected by gravity.
• There are now three types of traps that are generated underground. Watch your step!
• Cacti no longer damage players.

Game Interface

• Items being held by the mouse will now be used by left clicking. This allows the player to place objects without putting them on the hotbar. Right clicking will now drop the item.
• Placing objects on grass will now destroy the grass.
• The crafting menu now scales to fit the size of the screen.
• When the inventory is open, the number of the selected item in the hotbar will appear in green.
• There is a new NPC housing interface that can be used to assign living areas to NPC’s. This interface will also tell you if a room is missing any requirements.

Misc

• There is a new music track for The Hallow biome.
• Underground Corruption has its own music track.
• Underground Hallow has its own music track.
• There are two new boss music tracks.
• Greatly reduced world save file sizes.
• Decreased tile frame detection time by 15%.
• Your trash can is now emptied when you die.
• Added an auto select hotkey that will pick a tool from the player’s inventory based on what their mouse is hovering over. This defaults to Left Shift.
• All players will now leave behind tombstones when killed.
• There is now a random option in the player creation menu.
• Female players now have separate armor graphics.
• Added a new mechanical system! Holding a mechanical item will display the wire grid to create interesting new devices.
• There are new overworld backgrounds for each biome!

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a bug that would cause the server to think a player is dead if he/she reaches 1 HP without dying.
• Fixed a bug that wouldn’t allow players to craft from the ammo slot.
• Fixed a bug that would crash the game when player tried to draw water outside the bounds of the world.
• Fixed a bug that would cause mana regen to ignore stat bonuses given by armor or accessories
• Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the game to crash when growing Underground Jungle grass.
• Wooden Platforms no longer attach to non-solid objects.
• Placing and removing items during the placing animation will no longer destroy the item when it is collected.
• Fixed a bug that would cause graphical abnormalities when the lighting changes dramatically.
• The FPS display (F10) shows the correct number.
• Fixed a bug that swapped the lighting of players pants and head armor.
• Fixed a problem that would cause water to settle in strange positions.
• Fixed a problem that caused objects with transparency to appear darker than they should.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

75% off today on Steam in addition to the phat new patch. Well worth $3 for some light entertainment.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chesspieceface wrote:75% off today on Steam in addition to the phat new patch. Well worth $3 for some light entertainment.
Especially at its current price of $2.50.

Or so I'm told.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I haven't played it since the first month or so.

Has it changed a lot?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Oh, my, yes. There's about a billion percent more to do than there was in the first release. The basic gameplay hasn't changed, but there's tons more content.
kganey

Post by kganey »

EzeKieL wrote:I haven't played it since the first month or so.

Has it changed a lot?
Yes, yes it has. It has changed quite a bit since the last patch, even. (Or the last time I generated a world at least.) I generated a new world with the new patch tonight and poked around a little. Many goodies are now very close to the surface. Without straying far from the initial spawn point, I found a big gold deposit (enough to get a gold pickaxe) and four treasure chests. In fact, it felt a little Monty Haul. Not that that's a bad thing with this game. The joy is in exploring -- not fighting through miles of rock with a barely functioning pickaxe.

If you liked the game even a little, it's worth your time to re-roll a new world to check things out. I'm not sure that I'll like what they've done with the boss monsters, but it is fun to just wander around.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I generated a new world and messed around with it a bit tonight (using my already established character). Didn't really accomplish too much except to get one of the new NPCs and waste hours and hours looking for another of them. I did attempt to fight the first of the new bosses, and got my ass handed to me. I think I can take him, especially since I forgot to use potions and thus took a ton of damage from lava, but I'll need to stock up on fallen stars for my star cannon to do it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Is there an easy 'how to' guide for this game? I think I understand the basics, but I can't figure out how to do anything (never played Minecraft).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:Is there an easy 'how to' guide for this game? I think I understand the basics, but I can't figure out how to do anything (never played Minecraft).
yeah, there's a wiki, and a couple of getting started tutorials around. Maybe just video tutorials on Youtube? I forget now to be honest. Someone else will guide you appropriately, I can't link to any of it during the day.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Is there still a never ending stream of mobs attacking you at all times?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I got a link for a starting tutorial. Is this a game that I can play multiplayer with my son? I'd like to get him away from all the death and destruction games he plays.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:I got a link for a starting tutorial. Is this a game that I can play multiplayer with my son? I'd like to get him away from all the death and destruction games he plays.
Yes, but I don't know the logistics of it. Of course you are killing lots of stuff in Terraria too. Pixellated, small and mean stuff, but when you hit something with a sword...yeah. I let my 7 year old play it unsupervised. But I'm not the best guy to talk to about that sort of thing. Even my 4 year old daughter walks around hungering for brains and pretends to crack your head open and feast on the goo inside so....yeah.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

msduncan wrote:Is there still a never ending stream of mobs attacking you at all times?
At night? To a degree, yes. That's why you build a bunch of houses and populate them with NPCs, so that monsters don't spawn on top of you. During the day? Not really. All the surface daytime spawns are non-aggressive.

I spent pretty much all morning building a bridge in the Underworld from roughly the center of my Large map all the way to the last Obsidian Tower, then summoned the Wall of Flesh again. I got it to 152/8000 hit points ( :evil: ) before it killed me, mostly because I ran out of bridge (!).

To anyone looking to take it on,
Spoiler:
I recommend a Star Cannon and roughly 200-300 stars, as well as archery, obsidian skin, health regeneration, and ironskin potions. And a lot of running room. The wall itself doesn't do too much damage (the eye lasers do negligible damage if you're buffed and have any business attempting this boss), but its mouth-tentacles hurt like hell. The Star Cannon will damage both the mouth tentacles as well as the main body, which is the primary reason IMO it's the best weapon for this boss.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

On the Wall of Flesh:
Spoiler:
I don't think the star cannon is strictly necessary. I did it with a mini shark and a billion musket balls. Tried twice and failed and burned through most of my meteor ammo but it wasn't really necessary.

You did need a long bridge. A really long bridge. Alternately take gravitation potions. Or possibly water walking, but you might have trouble getting over some of the "hell towers" in the heat of battle.

Anyway, the key for me was killing all the grabbers (the tentacle mouths). I started with a steady diet of grenades (note: my bridge deliberately swung low and hi to facilitate this). Once there were a few left I switched to the minishark and held down the attack button. Move speed helps, but with all of the tenatcles destroyed there is far less of a chance for you to get swarmed. You need to be wary of the worms still, but with the minishark you can chew them up and it's much easier to deal with them and possibly still hit an eye. I did a regen potion and that was it. The difference for me on try three was focusing on the tentacles early. I got it to <2000 and <1000 on the first two tries but still had a number of the tentacles remaining and eventually got swarmed.
Hardmode is hard. In hellstone armor I bump into things that can do 50 damage a hit, and these mobs typically have 200-400 hitpoints. I died 3 times on the way to my dungeon spawn point and just gave up on that. I'm not considering taking what precious few spelunking potions I have and hitting up the cave layer to see if I can find some cobalt. Hmmm, the defense won't be an improvement. OTOH, I just remembered I forgot to requip my helmet before the last excursion (I had the mining helmet in the EQ slot). Hard mode is very much hard.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Yeah, I beat the WoF on the third try, myself. And yes, hard mode is very hard. The Deep Corruption is brutal, and until you get a pair of wings, Wyverns (which you need to kill to get the wings) are absolutely killer--and will chase you back to your spawn if you magic mirror away.

On the other hand, the Deep Hallow is actually really easy. You could almost AFK farm Souls of Light if it weren't for the occasional Enchanted Sword.

I've got a full set of adamantine armor now (ranged helmet, for boss killing), but honestly I'm not really looking forward to trying to solo any of the hard mode bosses. The weakest of them has a total of 48,000 hit points.
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Ok, I bought this last week and am completely sucked in. I want to try out multiplayer...anyone here hosting a game?
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I am like 5 or 6 cobalt ore from a cobalt drill. But finding another deposit has proven difficult. My main route to the underworld passes through some Hallow, and I've twice died before getting halfway down it. Wasted two spelunker potions in the process.

I really wish spelunker potions made it clearer what each ore was at a glance, too.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

You'll get used to the appearance of each ore with spelunker potions. Cobalt has a slight blue tint and has blacker cracks than the other ores it resembles. Adamantine is reddish and has very dark cracks, and is only found very, very deep, near the Underworld. Mythril is the hardest for me to spot because it doesn't really have a particular tint; it looks similar to iron and silver.

A tip: Smashing additional Shadow Altars creates additional deposits of the appropriate ore. I'd go through and destroy every one you can find.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I take it back. The Twins (the 48,000 hp boss) are actually the hardest, IMO.

Destroyer:
Spoiler:
Really, really easy if you have decent armor, buffs, and ranged weapons that penetrate (Star Cannon, meteor shot, crystal shot, magical harp, etc). I just used gravitation, ironskin, and regeneration potions and flew in a straight line up and down firing down at him. I had to use about 2 standard healing potions each time I fought him, but the only time I died was when I accidentally "fell" upward into my sky bridge.
Skeletron Prime:
Spoiler:
His attack pattern is very, very easy to avoid if you have a long, flat platform. You shouldn't even need gravitation potions for this one, just ironskin and regen. Basically it's just jumping over the arms as they swipe at you and running away slowly when he goes into spinny-head mode, then jumping over the hands again when he swoops at you when he comes out of spinny-head mode. Rinse, wash, repeat.
Twins:
Spoiler:
Absolutely the hardest for me to defeat solo. I used grav, iron, and regen potions, as with the Destroyer. They don't really have an easily avoidable attack pattern, and the eyes switch position back and forth enough that it's very hard to just single-target one of them down before you push the other one into its second phase. The first phase of each is fairly easy to handle, but having both eyes on their second phase gets really tricky. The green eye charges extremely quickly and has a nasty DOT, and the red eye constantly spams fast laser shots that are extremely difficult to dodge.

Interestingly, the second time I beat the Twins, I actually only killed one of them (the red eye). I think what happened is that the green eye was in the process of changing phases, which forces it to pause mid-air, and the red eye got way far away from it. I think the green eye either de-aggrod on me, or just got too far from the red one and despawned (or de-linked). Either way, I only killed the red eye, but got the Souls of Sight and the "The Twins have been defeated!" message and the green eye was nowhere to be found.
That was all done with full ranged Adamantine armor, using an Unreal Mythril Repeater/Star Cannon/Agile Clockwork Assault Rifle, for the record. The Star Cannon isn't really needed, but if you have the stars it makes the Destroyer and Skeletron Prime faster. It doesn't really help much against the Twins.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Secured my Cobalt drill last night. Also made a cobalt helm (the high armor/melee one). Does the Wall get harder in hard mode? Now that I can drill mithril, I'm half-tempted to go straight for it. OTOH. . .

I'm low on meteorite. So I may create a small world just to farm some of that up. I could really use a bunch more meteor shot.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The Wall doesn't change in hardmode. Farm away. It has some really, really useful loot for killing the hardmode bosses (Ranger Emblem, for example).
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I'm a bit perplexed as to why the Cobalt armor outfit, as a whole, only offers like +1 over the molten (assuming the melee helmet). I wasn't expecting to go back to monsters doing 10-15 damage (with the rare 20), but I was hoping for a little more than that. Anyway, I only have like 2 more cobalt items to make. Anyway, I have enough bars left to make the sword. I can get more ore later when I need to make the spear and 5 light disks. Think I might make a break for the WoF and try that agian. After getting more meteor shot.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Cobalt armor is intended as an upgrade over the Shadow armor set. It fills the same niche (speed over damage and defense).
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I love this game but the idea of fighting bosses seems so meh... My main guy is ready to fight the Eye, and really can't progress till he either does that or causes the Eater to come... and I just don't wanna play a side-scrolly platform bossfight... I wish I could continue exploring and upgrading without these knuckle-biters... boo. With 15 hearts and full Gold Armor with and Enchanted Boomerang... I've got no where to go except Demonite and Shadow Scales..
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The Eye of Cthulu and the Devourer of Worlds are both really easy if you're even moderately prepared. In fact, the Devourer is silly easy if you've beaten a Goblin Invasion and have a stack or two of the spiked balls they all drop.

Skeletron is not as easy. I beat both the Eye and the Devourer first try even though I was really nervous about both. It took me three or four attempts to beat Skeletron.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chesspieceface wrote:I love this game but the idea of fighting bosses seems so meh... and I just don't wanna play a side-scrolly platform bossfight...
And here I was thinking that boss fights would really help give the open world concept some direction and purpose. Something to aim for. A goal.

To each their own of course. It's not like I'm even playing it right now.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I was so happy to have found a nice load of Adamantite ore after struggling to find mythril. I get back, all happy as a clam, ready to smelt... only to find that smelting adamantite requires an adamantite forge that costs 30 adamantite ore. :grund: That used up the better part of my haul. Back to scouring the depths again. Looks like I might also have to load up another world to farm moonglow so I can make Spelunker potions.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Yeah, I set up a big row of clay pots to farm Moonglow in while I was hunting down my adamantine. Spelunker potions really are vital to finding the three new metals.
baelthazar

Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by baelthazar »

In retrospect, I should have generated a small world instead of a medium one - the minerals would be less spread out.
kganey

Post by kganey »

Chesspieceface wrote:I love this game but the idea of fighting bosses seems so meh...
Agreed. The joy of the game for me is mining and building. Fighting mobs along the way makes some sense. Fighting bosses, though, has not grabbed me at all. I do have some desire to defeat Skeletron because he guards a whole new area of the map. The bosses that do not open up new areas of the map have no appeal.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

No more content updates for Terraria

I like this:
I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer.
Translation: I want to put on my money pajamas and take a big nap in my money bed.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

It really is a gem of a game and among the best $10 I've spent on digital entertainment. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't owe me a thing and I'm eagerly awaiting news of his next project.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Led me here. Woah.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Led me here. Woah.
Saw that. Looks really cool.
Klif

Post by Klif »

Ooh! Maybe I'll start playing again. I always hated logging in and seeing more items. If the game can essentially be called complete, I'm more likely to play!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

And another content patch is dropping for Terraria. This was initially hinted at earlier this year, possibly early Feb.

Some scant details.

Some more details.

Occasional links to gorgeous screen shots therein.

Shorter:

- Lifting the 5 world/char limit (unsure of new limit)
- You7 can walk up 1 block tiles.
- 250+ new items
- "Bigger than 1.1" (the patch that spawned hard mode).
- New visual effects like water falls (lava falls are just cosmetic apparently).
- New biome, but no space biome.
- Hardmode "revamp"

I'm super excited. I can't get enough of this game. I've played Terraria start-through-Hardmode like 4 or 5 times now.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I bought it on sale a year or two ago and played it for about 20 minutes. I put it down and haven't tried it again. Maybe I should give it another go.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

ColdSteel wrote:I bought it on sale a year or two ago and played it for about 20 minutes. I put it down and haven't tried it again. Maybe I should give it another go.
ditto
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Steam tells me I have 221 hours on record in Terraria.

It helps that it's a game my wife actually wants to play and I enjoy building things in the game. We're currently on a second 'play through' - starting over with fresh characters in a Medium world.

For comparison my next three highest-played games are ... SPAZ with 112 hours, X3 has 96 hours, and SotS (Original, complete) has 86.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.