Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by ColdSteel »

Paingod wrote:SPAZ with 112 hours
Yeah, I recently put in a ton of time on that game too. I put it down though after I got well into the Zombie systems. Those were much more annoying than fun. And things got very repetitive after a while.

I think I'm going to give Terraria another shot on a medium world. It sounds like fun and I didn't give it much of a go before.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
kganey

Post by kganey »

Paingod wrote:Steam tells me I have 221 hours on record in Terraria.
Steam has me at 115 hours, but it isn't just my time into the game. Terraria has been a real hit with the whole family. The 6 and 8 year old girls love playing together and occasionally an adult joins them for three player games on the LAN. It's really amazing to see it all come together.

The 6 year old enjoys Terraria so much that she reports play acting the game during school recesses.

Of course, the big game at their school is Minecraft. Maybe I'll have to spin that up again.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

When does this new content patch drop for Terraria?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

May at the earliest, supposedly.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Zurai wrote:May at the earliest, supposedly.
I need a pacifier as I wait for Starbound! :tjg:
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Okay, so I took my first real crack at this game yesterday. I started on a small world figuring that might be good just to learn the game. Once I figured out the basics, which took a while, I really began to enjoy it. Now I have an iron broadsword and pick and some goggles and copper breastplate for armor. The night holds no terrors for me now. Well, except that some giant wormlike thing, I think it said a "devourer", killed me in about 2 seconds flat when I was near a corrupted section of the map during the night.

Anyway, I have a few questions for the experienced players here:

1) What's the best size map to play a single player game on? Small seems awfully, well, small. I already seem to have run out of areas to explore and mine. Is a large world good or bad?

2) If you create another world and use the same character, does anything carry over to the new world as far as character stats, items, etc.?

3) How do you handle water? I was digging a side shaft in the only big cave complex I've found and hit water. It flooded the lower areas of the cave before I could seal it off again and now I can't explore down there. Is there any way to pump it out again or get rid of it? Can you make an air breathing apparatus so you can explore watery areas?

4) Is the secret to building multi-story structures just to use platforms? I don't see any ladders anywhere that can be built.

I can see why folks like this game so much. It is very addictive once you get over the initial learning curve.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Debris

Post by Debris »

ColdSteel wrote:
1) What's the best size map to play a single player game on? Small seems awfully, well, small. I already seem to have run out of areas to explore and mine. Is a large world good or bad?
I like making my main castle on a large map and then mining/exploring on med maps
2) If you create another world and use the same character, does anything carry over to the new world as far as character stats, items, etc.?
Everything your character is carrying will be brought over with him
3) How do you handle water? I was digging a side shaft in the only big cave complex I've found and hit water. It flooded the lower areas of the cave before I could seal it off again and now I can't explore down there. Is there any way to pump it out again or get rid of it? Can you make an air breathing apparatus so you can explore watery areas?
Water is tough early on and can be a death trap. once you find/make a grapple, it gets easier to navigate. Until then, getting under the water and digging a place for it to flow down is the only option.
4) Is the secret to building multi-story structures just to use platforms? I don't see any ladders anywhere that can be built.
I use stone for the floors and platforms for ladders
I can see why folks like this game so much. It is very addictive once you get over the initial learning curve.
It's even more fun in multiplayer!
Debris

Post by Debris »

BTW, here's a pic of my main castle:

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Debris wrote:BTW, here's a pic of my main castle:
Haha, that's just awesome. :D

Here's my little hovel in my first game:
Enlarge Image

I'm beginning to make some progress. I have a gold pickaxe and broadsword now. Also an iron mail chest and iron helm plus some silver greaves. I found some boots of hermes or suchlike in a chest in an empty house in the underground and those things make you really fly on a flat surface. Too bad it doesn't help when jumping.

I just had two NPCs show up. The merchant guy and the demolitionist. So now at least I can sell stuff. I'm still trying to make my first bed but I can't find enough cobwebs. I've only have been able to make 3 silk so far.

I saw something glowing underground in the middle of some rock so I tunneled over there. It looked like glowing blue ore but I couldn't mine it with my iron pickaxe. Once I upgraded to gold I came back and tried again and was able to mine it. It says it's demonite ore so I guess that's better than gold ore. Too bad it was only two ore. lol. I also found two gold chests but they don't hold any more than the wooden ones. I guess the advantage there is purely decorative.

I found what appears to be a really deep pit and I was on the edge trying to look down when a slime bumped me and knocked me in. I fell in and took 235 falling damage when I finally landed. Needless to say, I did not walk away from that. It all happened in the dark so I still can't see where my grave is. It'll be interesting to see what my headstone says when I find it.

This is a fun game. I'm glad I finally got around to trying it out. I'm sure I may get frustrated at some point trying to kill a boss or something to advance but for now I'm really enjoying the exploring and mining and finding stuff.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Debis, that's a great castle. I have tha artistic ability of a pear, so my houses are always very utilitarian.

Coldsteel, a few things to be aware of:

- You can manage your NPCs, as well as tell if housing is suitable, from your inventory. There's a little house icon (above where things are equipped). If you click on it, it will swap the equip portion with the "house" portion. From here you can select an question mark and use it to click on rooms and get feed back as to whether something is legit. Also, you can click NPC banners and move them around (assuming the destination is valid).

- Other things equal, when upgrading IMO the best course of action is:

1. Pickaxe. The ability to mine is the game's ultimate gateway.
2. Armor.
3. Weapon of choice/actual axe.

There's no need to build one of everything at each tier (copper, iron, silver, gold, etc). Demonite is really important but most of the good items are gated, requiring something in addition to the ore to make. You must make a nightmare pickaxe to continue through the progression, but it has additional requiremnts besides Demonite Bars. We can discuss that at a later date.

- If you have double jump ability, you can use this to negate fall damage. However, if you can't see where you are falling to it's difficult. Really, there's nothing for your mobility quite like a grapple.

Like Debris I frequently build on large but do mining on medium worlds. At one point in the game's history the move from small to medium granted far better natural cave networks which really facilitated exploring, but I don't know if that's true any more.

There are two items you can buy that are special storage containers (piggy bank for 5g, safe for 50g). These offer character-based storage across worlds. So you can carry a piggy bank and then place it to move stuff in and out, and then keep going. If you access a piggy bank in another world, it will ahve whatever you have already placed in it. Thi s is a good waqy to ferry raw materials between worlds. Even on mining worlds you'll want to have some housing in place.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

The Wiki gives a good assessment of which areas to hit and in which order. One thing I love about the game is that even with in-depth knowledge of how to do everything, you still need to follow the right order of operations to move through the game - yet it's still an open world. You can easily wander into somewhere you don't belong.

You'll need to escalate your equipment as you progress, and need to beat certain bosses in order to move the game along. Some things are useful, but optional.

It's a huge thing to gather the right items from for mobility, too. The Grappling Hook is a game-changer. Gold Chest items ... The Cloud in a Bottle (underground, but not underwater) will simplify falling damage as you can double-jump before you land (also use the Grappling Hook and aim down to catch the ground before you land). The Red Balloon (Sky Islands) enables you to jump higher. The Hermes Boots (underground, but not underwater) let you build up speed as you run without interruption. The Rocket Boots (bought from the Tinker Goblin) allow you to jump and hold it to fly for a short time. Flippers (underwater) let you actually swim instead of only sinking.

I handle water with a series of airholes. It disturbs my wife to watch me do this because I'm typically on the brink of drowning as I dig... but I'll dig down a ways, then dig out a 3x3 area on the side of my tunnel, and then add a 2x1 area on top of the farthest section - which creates a natural air pocket. Deep breath and back to work. I've been known to tunnel for long long durations underwater without coming up for air this way.

XXX||||
XXX||||
XXX|OO|<- Breathe here.
XXXXXX|
XXXXXX|
XXXXXX|
XXX||||

If you just want to mow through water and get down below it, you can dig down and create a 'corridor' of Dirt as wide as you want. Backfill this with Sand dropped from above until the water is 'hidden'. When you disconnect from the world and log back in, the sand becomes a permanent replacement for the water and can be carved out to reveal dry land.

I tend to play Spell Casters more than Melee or Ranged. I like the array of abilities they offer. My wife prefers melee so she can run up to things while wildly swinging her sword.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Thanks for the great tips guys. Much appreciated.

I've found three more gold chests. One contained a magic mirror. One of the others contained a keen enchanted boomerang which is a pretty cool and handy item. One of the chests was underwater so after I opened it and took the stuff in it I used the mirror to teleport out before I could drown. I'll have to retrieve the empty chest itself on another trip back down there. I've also found a couple of angel statues and a chest statue, all of which appear to be worthless. Apparently there are more useful ones to be found out there. I've also found my first heart. So far it appears to be easier to get stars than hearts by far.

Thanks for the tip on the NPC management, Peacedog. I just built a new house made of stone and brick a good distance from the starting area house and my NPCS did not follow me although a nurse just showed up there. I finally got enough cobwebs to make silk for a bed so I set my spawn point at the new house. I'll play around with the management tool and see if I can get the NPCs to move over there.

I've located a desert not far from my new place so I'll have to explore that next. I'm quite limited in the other direction because I ran into corruption not far east of my starting location. Is there any way of getting past corruption? Do you just need to get enough good armor and weapons to travel through it without getting killed?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ColdSteel wrote:Is there any way of getting past corruption? Do you just need to get enough good armor and weapons to travel through it without getting killed?
Or skill and some luck. Or both. I just went through a speed "kill the EAter" run where I never built any armor until I had shadow stuff. I actually did ok. I died probably 20 tiems including a buncn of failed attempts to spelunk down a deep corruption shaft with nothing by my ingenuity to aid me. But I built my house nearby.

The corruption is ultimately your destination. The Eater of Worlds is the first hurdle in the game you must clear. Both he and the Eye of Cthulhu drop demonite ore. However, the Eater is the only guy who drops shadow scales. And you need shadow scales to make mos tof the good nightmare gear, including the Pickaxe. The Nightmare Pickaxe is the only think you can use to mine hellstone (possibly excepting dynamite; you know I;ve never tried that), and the Molten Pickaxe is the only thing that can touch Cobalt in hard mode.

There are two ways to get the Eater to come out and play. I spent my first few nights running around in my backyard corruption killing things, and gathrered a bunch of materials to craft an item to summon him. This way has it's drawbacks; I cheesed and dropped off a pile of one of the needed components to help the process along (short story: on my own I gathered enough stuff to make 4 summon items; I accidentally double used them once, and then twice inadvertantly despawned the Eater, so I was pretty frustrated). The other way is to break shadow orbs. Since you can't mine through demonite you'll need to use bombs or dynamite (not grenades; dynamite is very expensive at this point in the game but you can buy 10 bombs vs 1 stick of dynamite and that's often enough to burrow to a shadow orb and then blow it up). Every 3 shadow orbs you destroy automatically spawns the eater.

Shadow orbs have other uses. On a day you crack one, there is a 50% chance that midnight a meteor will land. If you break multiple orbs in a day you can't get more than 1 meteor but the chance for getting it goes up. Meteor ore has a couple of important, though non mandatory, uses. But I like to use meteor shot with a minishark to take out the Wall of Flesh.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Also - Re: Shadow Orbs and Meteorites ... As said, breaking more than one after 4:30am is "wasteful" as you can only roll once per "day" for a Meteorite to strike at midnight... but you can roll more than once between midnight and 4:30 since a meteor will hit instantly "after midnight but before dawn". I'll break one at 1:00am and if I don't get an instant meteor strike, I'll break another for a second chance.

Meteor strikes are a good reason to build an underground highway. I've been working on one that's at depth -106 in a Medium world. It takes ages to make but runs through the Dungeon, Underground Jungle, two Corrpuptions, and to both Oceans. I can have all the meteors hit that want to and not "waste" them by blowing a hole through a sky bridge.

Key items for the Corruption might include: Grappling Hook, Iron Armor or better (full set with bonus), and a moderately strong weapon. I preferred Tridents or Spears early on for the simple reason that they'd hit multiple times per thrust. That's just to get past the Corruption, though, not to kill the Eater of Worlds. I wouldn't want to try that with anything less than Silver Armor + Regen Potion + Regen Ring + Shadow Axe (made with just Demonite from the Eye of Cthulhu, and doesn't require Shadow Scales).
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Eater is easily doable naked. With the proper above ground arena, it's easy to dodge him and grenades + shurkiens make quick work.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd love to see a video of that; it's far outside how I'd normally handle it and I haven't really put much time into grenades or shuriken.

I build my platform half a dozen blocks over the Corruption, bind myself there with a small house on the edge, and summon the Eater. I either grapple rapidly up a chute and get back on or use a Meat. I may even use the Mirror to teleport back to that Corruption bind point if I have it. Consume Regen potion and position.

As he comes up I try to be underneath his arc and swing madly with the Shadow Axe to hit every segment as many times as I can as he passes over and goes back down. After a couple of these passes, a lot of segments are getting near death. I try and get him to come up at a smoother angle and then bust his head... and now he's coming in more of a straight line. Keep copping his head as it breaks off and gets shorter until he's gone. I get banged up a little in the arcing passes and knocked back a lot during the last phase, but his heads drop hearts a lot as well that help keep me going.
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Interesting. So the goal there seems to be to almost completely avoid being hit and getting the Eater to lunge up into an open-air arena and hit it with the Shuriken, which penetrate a few segments per shot.

I saw another video where someone was hitting it with Purification Powder and it was doing a ton of tiny damage hits in the area of effect. Looked like an expensive way to take it down.
Black Lives Matter

Zurai

Post by Zurai »

The funniest way to beat the Eater is with spiked balls from a goblin army. They stay on the ground and deal damage to everything that hits them, so a liberal coating of them across the arena floor and the Eater will literally suicide in about 15 seconds.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Paingod wrote:Interesting. So the goal there seems to be to almost completely avoid being hit and getting the Eater to lunge up into an open-air arena and hit it with the Shuriken, which penetrate a few segments per shot.

I saw another video where someone was hitting it with Purification Powder and it was doing a ton of tiny damage hits in the area of effect. Looked like an expensive way to take it down.
He uses grenades too. Grenades hit multiple sections and do amazing damage (upwards of 100 on crits, which is 2/3s of the health a section has). The thing you have to watch with grenades is you don't want to use them on a section that's very close. Especially naked with 5 hearts; you'll just kill yourself (I've done this a few times).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zurai wrote:The funniest way to beat the Eater is with spiked balls from a goblin army. They stay on the ground and deal damage to everything that hits them, so a liberal coating of them across the arena floor and the Eater will literally suicide in about 15 seconds.
How about a set of layers?

Build a platform like this....

||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||
||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||
||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||
||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||
||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||
||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||

... and make him come up at you through dozens of the things.
Black Lives Matter

ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Peacedog wrote: The Eater of Worlds is the first hurdle in the game you must clear
Thanks for all the tips on killing this guy. I assume he will be my first boss to kill. I still don't have any of the items mentioned to call him forth but I will work on it. I haven't found any shadow orbs yet. I do have a ton of grenades and shurkiens and bombs I've found so far.
Paingod wrote: I preferred Tridents or Spears early on
How do you get these? Can they be crafted or only found in chests?
Paingod wrote:Key items for the Corruption might include: Grappling Hook, Iron Armor or better (full set with bonus), and a moderately strong weapon
Skeletons drop the hooks you need to make the grappling hook, right? Where might I find some skeletons?
Peacedog wrote:naked with 5 hearts;
Haha I have 5 hearts so I guess I'm naked. :shock:
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ColdSteel wrote: Thanks for all the tips on killing this guy. I assume he will be my first boss to kill. I still don't have any of the items mentioned to call him forth but I will work on it. I haven't found any shadow orbs yet. I do have a ton of grenades and shurkiens and bombs I've found so far.
He is not the first boss you kill necessarily. The Eye of Cthulhu has special spawn conditions that, once met, mean he has a 1/3 chance of spawning. But you can't move forward without killing the eater (unless you can in fact mine hellstone with Dynamite, but I wouldn't want to try).
How do you get these? Can they be crafted or only found in chests?
Chests mostly. Tridents will only come from chests in the ocean (gold chests) iirc. Spears can appear in any wooden chest. A spear is a potentially amazing find, though bad mods can ruin anything. The reach and multihit ability really make it awesome to start with, though. Tridents are even stronger.

Paingod wrote: Skeletons drop the hooks you need to make the grappling hook, right? Where might I find some skeletons?
Skeletons, undead miners, and piranha can all drop it.
Haha I have 5 hearts so I guess I'm naked. :shock:
FWIW armor does help, but once you reach a certain skill level you can do things like rush the Eater. You start to see where it's not necessary to stop and get every last thing. You'll eventually find lots of hearts exploring undergorund, in the jungle especially.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Peacedog wrote:He is not the first boss you kill necessarily.
So, which boss would be the easiest to take on first from a new player standpoint? I guess I don't understand bosses in this game. You need to kill them to progress in the game? And the Eater is the first one you have to kill to progress, is that about right?
Peacedog wrote:Skeletons, undead miners, and piranha can all drop it.
I haven't seen any skeletons or undead miners (they sound pretty cool) but I most certainly know where at least one piranha is. He killed me when I fell in an underground pool.
Peacedog wrote:Tridents will only come from chests in the ocean
I think the corruption is currently blocking me from both the jungle and the ocean. I'm thinking about moving to a new medium world since it's still pretty early on this character.

Edit: Just hit 1,000 posts at last. It only took what, 8 years? I don't know how you guys with thousands (or tens of thousands) of posts over the same time period are able to do that.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

ColdSteel wrote: So, which boss would be the easiest to take on first from a new player standpoint? I guess I don't understand bosses in this game. You need to kill them to progress in the game? And the Eater is the first one you have to kill to progress, is that about right?
Also, they provide you with a challenge. Bosses all exist to provide a challenge, but some of them are also how you craft certain things. The Eater is the only one who, via crafting, blocks progression. The Wall of Flesh must be killed to activate hard mode, but it activates on killing him (he does drop the Pwnhammer, which is the only thing that can break demon altars). The Hardmode bosses all drop special souls used to craft the very best gear in the game.

I guess the Eye is easier from a "player knows nothing" standpoint, but once you know how the Eater works IMO he's not especially harder. Knowing that you can build an above ground arena is a big advantage.

Eater and Eye of Cthulhu both have fixed spawn conditions:
Spoiler:
Eye starts having a 1/3 chance of spawning when you have 200+ health, 10+ defense, and 3 npcs in your house. Once killed, he never spawns naturally. Drops daemonite ore and coins.

Eater spawns every third shadow orb you crack. For ever and ever. Drops daemonite ore and shadow scales. And coins.
Both can also be summoned by crafting special items, if you want to farm them. However, there's no point in farming the Eye.

Skeletron must be killed to enter the Dungeon. You are not required to enter the dungeon. However, there's one specific item in dungeon quests you will have difficulty living without. Further, you need gold keys to open the chests on sky islands, and they can contain a specific item that you almost can't live without (you can, but it just makes a lot of things so much easier). There is only one way to spawn him, and he only spawns once.

The Wall of Flesh has a specific spawn condition. He never spawns "naturally". The Hardmode bosses only spawn when you use specific crafted items (mechanical worm, mechanical eye, mechanical skull).
I haven't seen any skeletons or undead miners (they sound pretty cool) but I most certainly know where at least one piranha is. He killed me when I fell in an underground pool.
Miners usually only spawn somehwat deep. D itto skeletons actually; when the background texture turns grey, you're in the right place. The surrounding terrarin will be 90% rock too.
I think the corruption is currently blocking me from both the jungle and the ocean. I'm thinking about moving to a new medium world since it's still pretty early on this character.
Corruption navigation tips: build wooden walkways over each chasm (with wooden planks).

Other than that, you need to survive. It's best, when trying to pass through, not to stop and kill stuff as things keep spawning (spawn rates in the corruption are higher). Hit stuff if it approaches to knock it back but keep moving forward.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

You can mine hellstone with dynamite (but not any of the Hardmode ores). However, it's going to be impractical due to the nature of hellstone ore, the environment, and the 50s cost of dynamite. IMO.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Peacedog wrote:Corruption navigation tips: build wooden walkways over each chasm (with wooden planks).

Other than that, you need to survive. It's best, when trying to pass through, not to stop and kill stuff as things keep spawning (spawn rates in the corruption are higher). Hit stuff if it approaches to knock it back but keep moving forward.
Okay, I'm going to give this a try this evening. I hope that devourer that killed me before stays away.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Devourers are very problematic at "low levels" (that is, minimal eq, no to few heart upgrades). But they're not a common spawn. And they lack the raw power of the Eater; an arena suitable for Eater killing would be well above a depth a Devourer could reach on a jump (if you will). The upside to this is that the flying bug dudes can keep spawning and more easily be farmed.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well, I made it past the corruption.

I started by trying to get a few things identified above as needed. So, I went deeper than I had before and yes I ran into lots of skeletons and even a few undead miners there. I killed a crap ton of skeletons down there, not because I was farming for a hook but because I was trying to stay alive. I mostly stayed alive and only died once to the undead horde. I ended up with two hooks for my trouble and a bunch of crystal hearts too. I now have 9 hearts and 4 mana stars. I crafted a grappling hook with one of the hooks and that does make a nice difference. I also found some more chests down there and got a cloud in a bottle and a ring of regeneration. I had enough cash now to buy a mining helmet so I did. With that, double jump and grappling hook in hand, I figured I'd try the corruption.

At first I tried to build a skyway over it but every time I tried, I was swarmed with eaters. I gave up and tried just running/grappling along but they knocked me into a deep pit which led down to a huge open space. I killed a bunch of stuff, looted a bunch of pots, and mined two bars worth of demonite ore. Then I went to the far end and started tunneling out.

I popped out after a while in a desert, made it though that fine and came to a jungle. Not far in I got swarmed by a bunch of zombies (it was night by now) and bats. I killed a ton of them but they just kept coming in droves. Finally I died there leaving my headstone in chest deep water. After coming so far only to die I was irked but at least now I know what to do so I tried again.

This time I made it back through the corruption, the desert and fought my way through the jungle without dying to the nasty stuff there. Next was another desert with a bunch of vultures and ant lions and then finally the ocean.

I was there to look for golden chests with tridents in them so I got right to work. After cleaning out a bunch of jellyfish and crabs I found my first chest not very far from shore. I was thrilled to see it had a flipper in it. That made my search for other chests further out much easier. So, I'd swim out on the surface a goodly distance and then dive straight down and look around. I found 4 more chests that way. 3 of those 4 contained tridents. I kept what appeared to be the best one which is a named "superior" trident. I also found a breathing tube in one of the chests and a bunch of shuriken, arrows, potions and a few grenades.

At that point I decided to call it a day and used the mirror to go home.
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

Terraria 1.2 patch is live:
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/t ... ut.106803/" target="_blank

Note: There's no changelog.

-Lyno!
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

There is a changelog but there wasn't one posted/linked to from the front page.

In a word, huge. It's a much bigger update than 1.1, which introduced hardmode.

Shorter:

1. Alternate Ores and Biomes. World spawn rules remain similar, but instead of corruption you can get "crimson" or somesuch (and can have both Corruption and the Crimson on the same map). Each ore has an alternate: tin for copper, tungsten for silver, and so on. Only Meteorite lacks an alternate.

2. Lots of new items. O ver 1000. This is both new types of familiar items (and not just the craftables from the alternate ores) and entirely new types of items.

3. The winter biome has been overhauled and now has an underground ice biome to accompany it (and make it like every other biome). There's entirely new stuff to see and do here.

4. Pyramids can spawn in the desert (mini dungeons).

5. Great Trees can spawn (tree forts ho!).

6. Hardmode has been revamped but I can't give specifics beyond you'll eventually be returning to both the dungeon and the jungle once in Hardmode.

7. New bosses and enemies.

8. Quality of life changes. You can naturally walk up 1 brick height increments. Many materials now stack to 999 in your invetory. The inventory got an additional row. Chests got bigger. You now spawn with 1 mana star at the start and there are low level craftable magic items.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I fired this back up to get the update and having some fun with it again. As a side note the folks who developed Tshock (Terraria server) have updated it as well and it is now compliment with 1.2. I like playing via Tshock as it adds some functionality and makes my little world feel persistent.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Tao

Post by Tao »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Tao on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Klif

Post by Klif »

I fired this back up to get the update and having some fun with it again. As a side note the folks who developed Tshock (Terraria server) have updated it as well and it is now compliment with 1.2. I like playing via Tshock as it adds some functionality and makes my little world feel persistent.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Thread ressurection.

I have only just got in to this. Really enjoying it but not sure where or what to do next.

I have built a big house and have Bradley and Edmund the Merchant moved in.

I have tungsten and platinum stuff as well as an emerald staff. I have mined down to hell but not entered it yet. I have also been down the living tree and found the dungeon but I dont think I can beat skelator yet.

Any thoughts on where to go next or what sort of stuff I should be looking at to improve my stuff?
Klif

Post by Klif »

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It says I posted something above that I never posted. wtf?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Build bigger, build more!

It's been so long since I played, but I think the "safety" order is something like ...

Regular Areas > Underground (Mushrooms, Caverns) > Corruption > Dungeon > Sky > Oceans > Underground Jungle > Hell

As you grow your homestead and add more rooms, you'll get more Merchants depending on your accomplishments and items found/carried. Hunt around for life crystals, collect stars to gain mana, and generally try and stay as well outfitted as you can. If you wander into an area and get your ass kicked, it's probably too soon.
Black Lives Matter

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Ok thanks for that,

Is the only way to get gold coins to find them, i need a few more to buy the miners helmet?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Gold is simply accumulation of wealth... you'll need to kill a lot of things or find a lot of items and sell them. The bigger and harder a critter is to kill, the more copper/silver it tends to drop.

Underground treasures are strongest if you can find gold chests. You can sell off a lot of other trivial things, though I tend not to. I'm a hoarder and I collect chests in order to fill them with essentially everything I find. I even make a wooden sword in order to "have" one... :roll:

You can also rarely find Miner's Helms on Skeleton Miners. They're very easy to spot as they illuminate their way, and they can also drop other Miner's gear that combines as a set to grant a bonus in mining speed (I think). As a footnote, in 200+ hours of play I don't think I've actually completed this set.
Black Lives Matter

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Can you turn silver or bronze coins in to gold ones though r when they get to a certain amount they become gold coins?