Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

WYBaugh

Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by WYBaugh »

Terraria has just been released on Steam. Their forum is describing it as a 2d mincraft. Here's the description:

Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.

Grab your tools and go! Make weapons to fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes. Dig deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things. Gather resources to create everything you need to make the world your own. Build a house, a fort, or even a castle. People will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey.

But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?

And the homepage:

http://www.terraria.org/" target="_blank
Lordnine

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Lordnine »

I'll probably be buying a 4 pack if anyone wants to get in on it but I really wish there was a demo to push me over the edge.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I'm finding it difficult to figure out. I can't figure out how to place torches, for instance. It looks like fun, but until I can figure out the basics I am not really enjoying it. Placing torches would seem to be a basic, since it is impossible to see when it gets dark, and I can't use a torch for light and dig or build. Or if I can, I can't figure it out.

In short, I am having trouble figuring it out.
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

Lordnine wrote:I'll probably be buying a 4 pack if anyone wants to get in on it but I really wish there was a demo to push me over the edge.
I'll jump in on a 4-pack.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I watched a whole set of lets play videos on youtube when it was in beta. You might look there.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Strom

Post by Strom »

Lordnine wrote:I'll probably be buying a 4 pack if anyone wants to get in on it but I really wish there was a demo to push me over the edge.
Let me know what it comes out to, I'm interested getting in on the 4 pack

nvm, picked it up
Last edited by Strom on Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

4-pack is $30, so 7.50 per person. I will be interested if we can host our own server. Otherwise, I will wait until I get feedback on the provided mp hosts. This is a very small company.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

How is the cost of a 4 pack shared? I've never done it, do people send a check?

I might be interested: I hardly play anything anymore but I can buy and save.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Initial impressions:

Interface leaves a LOT to be desired. The "Back" button in the options menu crashes the game currently, for example. Furthermore, you can only connect to a server via IP address, and that server better understand port forwarding.

Also, the game hosts on port: "31337"

The game itself is a combination of fun and weird and total lack of understanding.

Oh, and to host the game, you have to run two instances of the game on your own machine. Also weird.
I'm special!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Playing on Chris's "server". Seems fun but I feel lost. You get recipes when you stand around a crafting bench but only of things you can craft with the material you already have so you really have no idea what to work towards. It sounds like building cities actually attracts NPC's which is very cool. I wish there was a game that combined the bigger goals of this with the 3D interface and general usability of Minecraft.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Well, to be fair, there is absolutely no in-game help on what you can make in Minecraft either. You have to just know, or spend time putting random things in slots to make stuff.

I will check Youtube and see if there is any help to be had there.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

terraria.wikia.com

Turns out there's really only 3 NPCs you can get, or close to that number.

Another problem is that slimes are enemies that cause damage, they spawn during the day, and spawn in number and so often that it can be hard to do any tasks or exploring because you're so busy fighting slimes. Because the slimes spawn anywhere that's out of sight, even if you go down a corridor a few steps, after having walled yourself in, slimes will start coming from the end that you know is walled off. Also, fighting them on any sort of incline is an exercise in annoyance. There is just no way to stop them from spawning.

The monsters are kinda fun to fight, unlike minecraft, but the only problem is the amount of spawns and the constant spawning.

It looks like they built the game for multiplayer primarily, and it's actually a lot of fun playing multiplayer since you can watch each other's backs. But be prepared for a bit of frustration in single player until they fix the spawn rates.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

For $10 I figured it's worth a try and I picked it up last night.

So far it's interesting. I can't help but compare it to Minecraft and in that regard I think Minecraft's engine and crafting are far superior to Terraria, but Terraria's adventuring elements are what Minecraft should be shooting for. That portion of the game seems much better thought out in general than Minecraft's.

Overall it's worth $10 I think, even if it needs some fixing up. Looking forward to trying MP at some point.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Well, now that they have fixed the "back button" crash, and changed it so that the inventory key is mappable, it is more fun that yesterday. I figured out how to put torches up, they can not go on the back walls, only on the side walls. If that makes any sense.

The slimes spawning constantly is annoying. But from watching those videos from early on in development, the spawn rate was absolutely nuts back then comparatively. So I guess I won't complain too much. They die pretty quick, and they produce something useful.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

One more copy of the four-pack is available. If zinckiwi gets back to me soon it's his otherwise send me a PM, first come first serve.
zinckiwi

Post by zinckiwi »

Lordnine wrote:One more copy of the four-pack is available. If zinckiwi gets back to me soon it's his otherwise send me a PM, first come first serve.
Nabbed!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Not much activity here so I'll post a few more impressions. The further you get in the game the less like Minecraft it feels. Right now I'm decked out with miner's helmet that lights up the space around me without a torch, a cloud in a bottle that lets me double jump and I just picked up a boomerang that has quickly become my favorite weapon.

While finding good metals is great the real joy seems to be from finding rare chest that contain magical items. Turtle tried to get me to a boss battle as well but the sun kept coming up so that was delayed. Also on that note, the game really feels focused to multiple people. I'm sure you can do fine in single player but I would think spending extended time underground would be tedious and hard without someone to watch your back.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, I think they should change the spawn system. They could make it so there could be spawner objects that you can fight your way to and stop spawns from happening, at least for a while. These could repopulate overlooked.

What this would do is let players make areas a little safer if they can reach the spawner, but while near it they'll experience the same level or worse of spawns. It creates yet another goal for players to reach while exploring.

Anyway, I'll probably start the process of creating a mine shaft straight down as far as I can go. I know that there's some kind of hell world down at the bottom, but on large maps it's actually way, way harder to reach. I haven't even reached it on my small single player world. But I did find a dungeon on the far right side of the world. You have to defeat a boss to gain free access to it (otherwise the boss follows you inside and is constantly trying to kill you) but I found a way to sneak in and grab stuff out of chests before it got to me. Using the tactic, I nabbed an actual handgun, a fast firing ranged weapon that's become my staple, and another cloud in a bottle.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

Turtle wrote:Yeah, I think they should change the spawn system. They could make it so there could be spawner objects that you can fight your way to and stop spawns from happening, at least for a while. These could repopulate overlooked.

What this would do is let players make areas a little safer if they can reach the spawner, but while near it they'll experience the same level or worse of spawns. It creates yet another goal for players to reach while exploring.

Anyway, I'll probably start the process of creating a mine shaft straight down as far as I can go. I know that there's some kind of hell world down at the bottom, but on large maps it's actually way, way harder to reach. I haven't even reached it on my small single player world. But I did find a dungeon on the far right side of the world. You have to defeat a boss to gain free access to it (otherwise the boss follows you inside and is constantly trying to kill you) but I found a way to sneak in and grab stuff out of chests before it got to me. Using the tactic, I nabbed an actual handgun, a fast firing ranged weapon that's become my staple, and another cloud in a bottle.
The reason i have not tried this game yet is that it is two dimensions and that kinda bothers me. I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as 3D. Any thoughts on that?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I think I'm going to try it. It's only 10 bucks. I have spent 10 bucks on iPhone apps before, and I like encouraging indie development as much as I can.

Plus it sounds like it has some limited phat lewt involved when you explore, which I like.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

ok so this thing is way more fun than I thought it would be. LOTS and LOTS of content. Are you seeing what I'm seeing Turtle?
It's 34 bowl victories.

Zarni

Post by Zarni »

Ok i just downloaded it... sounds too much fun to skip!
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

I must say, this game is pretty cool. I'm still playing it even after reinstalling Oblivion.

Does anyone know a easy way to get some food?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Explore horizontally on the surface. You will find mushrooms that provide health.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Zarni

Post by Zarni »

i figured out how to make potions. very cool. plus a nurse just moved in. good times!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I've got a question.

The game-play video shows that circular spinning arm swing/attack that seems to drive everything.

Does that get a little, well, silly/anoying ?

I don't know why - but just that tiny little thing is keeping me from wanting to check the game out.

follow up: is construction in this game a big part of it, or not really. For some reason, it (construction) looks a little quirky (from the video).
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I don't even notice the arm swinging thing anymore. Your mileage may vary.

If I had to compare Minecraft and this game on how emphasis is placed on features... it would go like this:

Minecraft:
1. Building
2. Exploring
3. Crafting

Terraria:
1. Exploring
2. Crafting
3. Building
It's 34 bowl victories.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Building is pretty limited on the whole. The main purpose of building is really to get the NPC traders to show up. Each one needs a 'house' with a table, chair, light source and a back wall. Personally I find building in the 2d plane very difficult but I think that may just be me since Turtle built us an elaborate pink fortress.

Where the game really shines is exploring for treasures that improve your abilities.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

Unagi wrote:I've got a question.

The game-play video shows that circular spinning arm swing/attack that seems to drive everything.

Does that get a little, well, silly/anoying ?

I don't know why - but just that tiny little thing is keeping me from wanting to check the game out.

follow up: is construction in this game a big part of it, or not really. For some reason, it (construction) looks a little quirky (from the video).
I crafted a new sword that goes straight out from the character instead of an arc... and i found a magic boomerang that works like (obviously) a boomerang.

for only $10 bucks, this is a game to certainly try. I'm really enjoying it and don't notice the swing thing anymore.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Zarni wrote:The reason i have not tried this game yet is that it is two dimensions and that kinda bothers me. I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as 3D. Any thoughts on that?
I was initially put off by this as well since I'm not really a platformer lover. I have to say this is one of my favorite games of 2011. There's so much more to do than in Minecraft. I like the fact that you have open end exploring AND a set of somewhat linear goals in the areas and bosses you want to take on. You can do whatever the hell you want from a long list of goals. Nice progression with great loot to find all over the place.

I would like a little more detailed building options if possible given the 2D, but at the very least they can improve on the back wall placement. What a pain in the ass to replace once you place chests and such.

Also, a slider to turn monster spawning down a tad would be appreciated.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Just had my first goblin invasion. Holy shit, I was not ready for that...great loot though! Great fun as well!

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

lokiju wrote: I have to say this is one of my favorite games of 2011.
Anyone else have similar feelings?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It's fun and worth the money but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Lordnine wrote:It's fun and worth the money but I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites.
Yep, I feel the same way.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I kind of like it, slimes are annoying. I figure I'm still just getting started but I have some questions.

I mined a bunch of iron and copper ore, and I made a forge, but I'm still stuck with a wooden sword! How do I get better weapons? Nothing comes up on the crafting menu except metal walls and blocks.

I did find a nice cave near my starting point, but I haven't really found anything of note in there yet.
There is no hug button. Sad!
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I bought it yesterday and poked around a bit. I'm still figuring out how to build and use stuff but it seems fun so far. I love the super-pixelated custom character creation.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

killbot737 wrote:I kind of like it, slimes are annoying. I figure I'm still just getting started but I have some questions.

I mined a bunch of iron and copper ore, and I made a forge, but I'm still stuck with a wooden sword! How do I get better weapons? Nothing comes up on the crafting menu except metal walls and blocks.

I did find a nice cave near my starting point, but I haven't really found anything of note in there yet.
make blocks of iron and when you have enough you are offered other options (if i remember right)
kganey

Post by kganey »

killbot737 wrote:I mined a bunch of iron and copper ore, and I made a forge, but I'm still stuck with a wooden sword! How do I get better weapons? Nothing comes up on the crafting menu except metal walls and blocks..
I was frustrated getting started, but now that I've figured it out a bit, I'm having fun.

You need a fireplace to smelt ore into metal and then an anvil (made with iron) to turn metal into items. Once you have an anvil, you just need 10 to 30 pieces of a metal to forge new weapons or armor. The power of the items depends on the rarity of the metal. So a gold sword is more powerful than an iron sword, despite how that would work in real life.

The Terraria Wiki - http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/ - can help by providing the formulas for items.
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Yeah it's just like Minecraft in that you have to figure stuff out on your own, but at least in Terraria everything you can make with the junk in your bags shows up automatically. There have been times I didn't even realize I could make something cool until I accidentally scrolled to it. I just wish there was a better system than scrolling. Towards the end of game progression the list can be about 50 items long.