Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zurai

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Zurai »

They automagically upgrade. 100 copper to 1 silver, 100 silver to 1 gold, 100 gold to 1 platinum.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Seems there has been a new update, problem is I can no longer make Glass doors or tables and chairs, not sure why not must be a change I havent found yet.

thing is I am making a massive glass house.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I just started getting into this. Just want to make sure I'm not doing things the wrong way. I've mined down and gotten enough iron for armor, sword and a pick. Thing is it takes forever to get down and up. Every time I exit out I restart at the surface. Is there an elevator or save point or something I'm missing? Should I have gone to one of the different Biomes 1st? I found some glowing altar looking thing and hit it with my hammer. Damn thing nearly killed me :).

That and boulders suck.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's been awhile since I played, but the first place you appear in the game is your save point. If you die or quit and come back that is where you will appear. If you make a bed and sleep it that becomes your new save point. Maybe they changed or added something since I last played, but that is how it used to work
Lyno

Post by Lyno »

Cortilian wrote:I just started getting into this. Just want to make sure I'm not doing things the wrong way. I've mined down and gotten enough iron for armor, sword and a pick. Thing is it takes forever to get down and up. Every time I exit out I restart at the surface. Is there an elevator or save point or something I'm missing? Should I have gone to one of the different Biomes 1st? I found some glowing altar looking thing and hit it with my hammer. Damn thing nearly killed me :).

That and boulders suck.
To get down:
Make a straight shaft down and put a little bit of water at the end. The water will cushion your fall and you won't die.

To get back up:
Quit and login again :)

-Lyno!
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Cortilian wrote:I just started getting into this. Just want to make sure I'm not doing things the wrong way. I've mined down and gotten enough iron for armor, sword and a pick. Thing is it takes forever to get down and up. Every time I exit out I restart at the surface. Is there an elevator or save point or something I'm missing? Should I have gone to one of the different Biomes 1st? I found some glowing altar looking thing and hit it with my hammer. Damn thing nearly killed me :).

That and boulders suck.
A few guides I have been using

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/22/terra ... ers-guide/
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/terraria/Beginner%27s_Guide
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Walkthrough
Last edited by Reemul on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Need to use the url tags for links to show
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

IceBear wrote:Need to use the url tags for links to show
Ta, fixed
Jumppahuiti

Post by Jumppahuiti »

I'm new to this game.

I spotted in a cave a creature like a upside down claw, emitting bubbles - what's that ?

[edit - a week later]
Ok. No volunteers. :wink:

Anyway, I walked over it, poked it with sword, pickaxe and axe - no reaction and it doesn't show a name. Strange though, I'm almost certain that the first time I encountered it I did get a reaction poking it.
So maybe I'm oversuspicious. It's just that in this game if something looks suspicious it also is.
One thing that occured to me is that I own both a pc version and ipad version of the game, and some creatures are system specific. Spotted the creature/object in ipad.

And I did look through wiki, but nothing like that got my eye. Was about to join the official forum, but my firewall went "No.No. - a reported site, stay away".
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

ARISE!

A new and HUGE update for this drops tomorrow (v. 1.3)!

I thought they had stopped developing for the game?! I am also looking forward to Terraria Otherworld.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06 ... this-week/
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

baelthazar wrote:ARISE!

A new and HUGE update for this drops tomorrow (v. 1.3)!

I thought they had stopped developing for the game?! I am also looking forward to Terraria Otherworld.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06 ... this-week/
Cool, this game has had serious legs.

I haven't played for a year at least but I'll definitely jump back in with this update.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Simply ... Wow.

800 more items? It took me a long time to re-earn all the new ones from the last update. Each time I feel compelled to start over, naked in a new world, and do it all over again.

This is also one of the small number of games my wife actually enjoys playing with me - she's got a couple hundred hours logged to my 450+...

The best part of the game is that my wife doesn't want to learn to craft and doesn't organize. It's up to me to sort, stash, and pack away everything we find. I set aside a couple chests for her to dump in and I pick through it all to keep it clean.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My kids love this game. My autistic boy has been telling me that "the new 1.3 update is coming!" for a few days now.

If it seems strange that I mention he's autistic all the time, it's because I find it fascinating what will capture his imagination or not. When he latches onto something, he really latches on.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote:Simply ... Wow.

800 more items? It took me a long time to re-earn all the new ones from the last update. Each time I feel compelled to start over, naked in a new world, and do it all over again.

This is also one of the small number of games my wife actually enjoys playing with me - she's got a couple hundred hours logged to my 450+...
Do you run a multiplayer server or something? I'm not sure how you play this together.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote:
Paingod wrote:Simply ... Wow.

Do you run a multiplayer server or something? I'm not sure how you play this together.
You can run multiplayer servers but the simplest is just host it locally. So one person starts, the other joins. The host keeps the savegame.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote:Do you run a multiplayer server or something? I'm not sure how you play this together.
I thought the game comes with a multiplayer or server option. I create a server, pick a world, and I'm in - then she connects to my IP and she's in. Sometimes I'd have to close and re-create the server as it would insert a random password on its own (about every other time)... but there were no special tools involved. We've been playing together off and on for a long time, since well before the 1.2 patch.

I'd have to actually look at the steps I take, but I don't think it's anything obscure or hidden from the main menu.
LawBeefaroni wrote:You can run multiplayer servers but the simplest is just host it locally. So one person starts, the other joins. The host keeps the savegame.
That's it - I was the host.
Black Lives Matter

Klif

Post by Klif »

GreenGoo wrote:My kids love this game. My autistic boy has been telling me that "the new 1.3 update is coming!" for a few days now.

If it seems strange that I mention he's autistic all the time, it's because I find it fascinating what will capture his imagination or not. When he latches onto something, he really latches on.
How old?
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

I actually like this game a lot. My nine year old son can't wait for tomorrow. He's been talking about it for a couple of weeks now. The change log is huge and looks awesome. It changes pretty much every single part of the game... greatly.

Anyone know what time it will hit steam tomorrow?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Torfish wrote:Anyone know what time it will hit steam tomorrow?
Forums suggest 1pm EST tomorrow.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Klif wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:My kids love this game. My autistic boy has been telling me that "the new 1.3 update is coming!" for a few days now.

How old?
9 now.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Rezzing this for a moment. I keep trying to play and just die over and over. What am I doing wrong?
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Lorini wrote:Rezzing this for a moment. I keep trying to play and just die over and over. What am I doing wrong?
Are you hanging out on the surface at night? In the beginning, it's actually safer to explore underground, for the most part.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Fretmute wrote:
Lorini wrote:Rezzing this for a moment. I keep trying to play and just die over and over. What am I doing wrong?
Are you hanging out on the surface at night? In the beginning, it's actually safer to explore underground, for the most part.
The tutorial says to build a house on the surface. I'll try staying underground, it'd be nice to see a morning :). Thanks!
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

When you start a new world you have a few minutes of relative safety. Everyone is different but here is my starting strategy.

1)As soon as I load in to a new world I take a moment to arrange my tools in my inventory the way I prefer (Sword, Pick Axe etc.)
2)Quickly use the Axe to chop down 2-3 nearby trees
3)Build a Wooden building 6 blocks high and 10 blocks long, make sure you enclose your initial starting position so you don't log back in outside your bunker
4)Craft 12-15 platforms
5)If I have enough wood (usually I do) I will build a workbench and maybe a door
6)Start my "Hellavator"; basically dig 2 block wide hole straight down placing a platform approximately every 6 or 7 blocks deep. You can do 3 blocks wide if it's easier to work but then you will need to alternate which wall you put your platforms otherwise you
run the risk of falling to your death
7)Once the first night cycle finishes and the undead have left hunt slime's around your bunker for gel and chop down more trees so you can make torches
8)Collect stone blocks, either on the surface or from a diverting tunnel off your Hellevator to craft a furnace
9)Spend the days on the surface exploring, don't wander to far yet as you are very squishy, spend night time working on my Hellevator and digging side tunnels to explore and search for resources
10)Start hunting for Iron/Lead to craft an Anvil
11)Start collecting various resources to build a house, craft armor and better tools

Couple of other starting tips;
Always keep plenty of platforms on you, always keep plenty of torches on you. Both can be crafted on the fly without a crafting stations as long as you have materials.
I like to save up all my coin until I have 4 gold then spend it all on a mining helmet(hands free light)
Keep a stack of dirt or stone on you, very handy to wall off a section if you run in to too many creatures or build an impromptu scaffold to get higher or a walkway to cross over a large open area or deep water
I play on the difficulty that drops your entire inventory if you die so I try and head back to base often to protect my loot
Combat...The pick makes a better weapon then the sword early on due to its spinning mechanic, make a yo-yo as soon as you can (easy to find materials), PRACTICE your timing and jumping over creatures, NEVER NEVER NEVER run in to a dead end or back yourself in to a corner

This is an awesome game and one I always keep installed on my computer, loads of fun and frustration :D
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much, can't wait to try this!!!
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Terraria: Otherworld ... Cancelled
Spoiler:
Good Day, Terrarians-

We wanted to take a few moments to share some important news with you all in regards to the status of Terraria: Otherworld.

As you all know from when we first announced the game a long while ago – and as we repeated in our subsequent posts - Re-Logic’s focus has and always will be on delivering complete and quality game experiences to our fanbase. Just to underscore it once more, this means that we will not compromise game quality for speed to market or for any other reasons within our control. Our team has a clear vision for this game – one that we shared with all of you with much shared excitement – and, in spite of all of our efforts, the current state of the game remains equal parts far from that vision and beyond behind schedule from our initial planning when we shared Otherworld with all of you three years ago. Progress has absolutely been made during that time – but unfortunately, a very thorough status review of the game versus its intended design showed both the Re-Logic and 505/Pipeworks teams that things were quite a bit further away from the finish line than we had imagined. Taking the massive amount of work that would be remaining to complete along with the extensive time it would take to get that done, and how that would greatly interfere with the pursuit of other projects on behalf of Re-Logic – it becomes clear that this leaves things in a very undesirable state.

As a result, we have made the decision to terminate development of Terraria: Otherworld.

We sincerely thank both of our external development teams for their hard work on the game, but at some point, we have to be honest with ourselves and realize that Otherworld simply is never going to reach its potential in any sort of reasonable time or fashion.

We know that the cancellation of Terraria: Otherworld will not be happy news to anyone. It is FAR from a happy moment for us either, when we look at all the time/effort/resources that we poured into the project. However, we feel strongly that we owe it to our community and loyal customers to uphold the standards that both you and we expect and to focus on delivering the best possible games that we can for you all to play. Come whatever may, quality is simply not something we are willing to compromise on to make a quick buck. It may be painful in the short term, but our sincere hope is that it will pay off for everyone in the long term in regard to our future games. T:OW will never come to pass, but its lessons learned and ideas generated will absolutely yield dividends for everyone.
So, what now? Next Steps for Re-Logic & Lessons Learned

In hindsight, it goes without saying that we never should have spoken publicly about this game as early-on as we did. We will fully own that error in judgement. Moving forward, we will be far more judicious about only sharing information on projects in which we are fully confident in regards to timing, etc. We can only apologize for all of the emotional rollercoaster this caused.

Trying to outsource development of such a critical title for our company – even if just in part – was not the way to go. Moving ahead, our focus for the core development of new/future titles will be more inward and will seek to utilize our own people. We will share more information there just as soon as we have it.

Re-Logic has possession of the game (design, code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and there are still a ton of amazing ideas under the hood here – many of which have never been publicly shared. These are ideas that we have not and will not forget and that you will very likely see implemented in our future titles.

Active development of Terraria continues - 1.3.6 is still very much in active development. We know that we have not shared a lot in the way of spoilers there – but rest assured that the team has been working tirelessly on our next PC wave.

This keeps our partners at 505/Pipeworks wholly focused on Console/Mobile/Switch – and there is still a TON to get done there, so that should be good.
Thanks so much to you all for your amazing support of Terraria, Terraria: Otherworld, and our company. It is that support that drives us every day to do amazing things for you and we look forward to sharing more of what is to come very soon.

We are sure that you have a ton of questions, and we will answer what we can – but we will not delve into some areas out of either respect or confidence or the unknown. So we will ask your patience and forgiveness in advance there. Thanks!
Ain't nobody got time for that
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Good on them for being strong enough to pull the plug instead of continuing to pour money and resources into a quagmire.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm Good on them for being strong enough to pull the plug instead of continuing to pour money and resources into a quagmire.
Sort of. A year later and they're about to release Update 1.4 - Journey's End. 800+ items, new bosses, a new game mode... more fun. I appreciate that they've continue to keep the game relevant through all of this by continually making it interesting to return there. By all accounts this is planned as the "Farewell" update with no more coming after.

I had started to sink some time into my "Home" world lately, but might have to start a new one if Master Mode requires a new world generation to take advantage of it.
Black Lives Matter

Suitably Ironic Moniker

The quagmire I was referring to was the aborted sequel.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

The 1.4 Journey's End patch comes out tomorrow for the PC. I think at 1pm EST. My family is really looking forward to it. The change log is 40 pages long! I won't link it because many people want to be surprised. It's probably one of the largest updates that I have ever seen. It's definitely a game where the developer has put their passion to it. You can spend well over 100 hours with one character.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Key note for me is the whole new difficulty level. Doing everything on the previous "hardest" difficulty was fun, but eventually easy with the right knowledge. I look forward to a new "Master" difficulty world and playing it buck naked to start.
Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Paingod wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:01 pm Key note for me is the whole new difficulty level. Doing everything on the previous "hardest" difficulty was fun, but eventually easy with the right knowledge. I look forward to a new "Master" difficulty world and playing it buck naked to start.
Heh. Sounds like the MISERY mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Though, to be fair, for that one they did let you start with a knife.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:28 pm
A year later and they're about to release Update 1.4 - Journey's End. 800+ items, new bosses, a new game mode... more fun. I appreciate that they've continue to keep the game relevant through all of this by continually making it interesting to return there. By all accounts this is planned as the "Farewell" update with no more coming after.

I had started to sink some time into my "Home" world lately, but might have to start a new one if Master Mode requires a new world generation to take advantage of it.
Releases @noon (est) today :clap:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Jumped in a played for about a half-hour. I am going to have to go read up on some stuff. Since "Journey" is the one of the new modes that is what I selected for my new character and world, have to say it seems really, really easy mode. One of the items you start with gets you a pet Finch that attacks and kills things for you. Apparently I also have super jump and hover to start out with and the first day cycle was extremely long. I was doing my usual frantic chop down trees for wood to build a small shelter before night fell and the zombies arrive and day just kept stretching on and on. Not complaints just observations, as stated I need to go read up a bit.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Suitably Ironic Moniker

If you go into your "powers" menu ("C", or the icon below left of your inventory), you can adjust various parameters, including various parameters relating to time.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I logged a few hours with 1.4 on Sunday using the new "Master" mode - with a brand new, naked character. It's rough.

In the first night I was smashed in the face by a zombie with a zombie arm weapon for 77 damage, or roughly 77% of my overall health. Ouch.

In four hours, though, I had delved deep enough to find lava and a Mushroom biome that provided a couple brand new items and was all decked out in Lead armor with a Gold pickaxe and pretty useful Yo-Yo. Overall, it feels good to be back and really feels like a solid challenge. A number of visual changes are welcome as well, from more things going on in the background to more wind effects and other atmospheric stuff.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've been mocking my kids for playing Terraria for years. My oldest (15) has probably in the neighborhood of 1k hours playing it across multiple platforms. Last week, they were both playing it and Sekiro was pissing me off so I decided to finally give it a real chance. I played a bit of it a couple years back in co-op with my older son but he did everything and I mostly just organized the base and followed him around, not really getting into it.

According to steam:
58.2 hrs last two weeks

Yeah, it turns out it's actually a fun game. Who knew! It's basically a crossover of two games I am not really into (Minecraft and Metroidvania) with pixel graphics which I am also not into at all but it just works for me. I guess it's just something of a sweet spot. I don't like the mostly sandbox nature of minecraft and I am not a big fan of platforming like metroidvania, but I guess its different when I get to build my own platforms (and get wings and a grappling hook).

I took down Golem yesterday and have been trying to finish gathering things for a run at the last few bosses. I'm playing a summoner at the moment because that seemed cool if a bit fragile. I think I passed 50 fishing quests this morning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The console version of 1.4 finally gets submitted to Xbox and Sony tomorrow. I lover Terraria although it takes a minute to get into. Looking forward to playing on Xbox.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:50 amI've been mocking my kids for playing Terraria for years. My oldest (15) has probably in the neighborhood of 1k hours playing it across multiple platforms.
I'm pretty sure I'm hovering around 1,200 hours or so. It's a fun game, and I've restarted it quite a few times (new, naked character in a new, fresh world) and spent an abnormal amount of time building out my perfect bases over and over. I love that my "main character" (the one I play when I just want to build and has killed/can kill every boss solo) can skip between worlds and clean them out and return to my base world to dump his inventory. I keep that world just how I want it and rip the others to tatters before I delete them.

Playing with the wife and kids just brings in a whole new level of fun, though.

I'm straight vanilla on the game with no mods. I don't feel like the game really needs them. My kids think it does and prefer to play tModLoader and the thousands of new things it brings. A lot of it is absurdly powerful items and monsters, which is kind of what kills me. More of the same is fine. Loading up on cheat-powered mega-items isn't.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My son plays tModLoader a lot but that's after putting over a thousand hours into vanilla. He just wants new challenges after he beat Master mode, so maybe the opposite of what your kids are doing.

I don't know that I will be motivated to play more after I finish this run, but we'll see. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for whatever the devs put out next.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter