Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarni wrote:You have to find the swimming fins to do that. its an item found while exploring.
That explains all the drowning I've been doing.
Zarni

Post by Zarni »

I used to go down and dig into the side of the water pool and then dig two blocks wide and up one to allow breathing while I explored.

Or you can make a "box" out of dirt and then make a breathing bell.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarni wrote:I used to go down and dig into the side of the water pool and then dig two blocks wide and up one to allow breathing while I explored.

Or you can make a "box" out of dirt and then make a breathing bell.
Heh. Clever. But I was intentionally jumping in under the (false) assumption I could swim. Shouldn't be a problem going forward.
Kal

Post by Kal »

Yeah Im pretty sure its only the cash you have on your person that is halved as a death penalty. For exploring underwater caves without the fins making breathing holes is essential.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And, from what I've seen - you don't actually lose your cash, rather it's sitting where you died, and if you rush back to that spot (no clue on the limit), you find all your money.

Right?
Kal

Post by Kal »

There is cash there but I have a feeling its not all of it, not sure why I feel that way but yeah there is certainly coins at your death spot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've definitely found cash at my death site, but never bothered to look closely enough to figure out how much it was in comparison to how much I lost dying.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I feel like back when I had 3 gold and change - I would run back and pick up 1 gold coin + change - so I was running on the idea that your "1/2 money" just needed to be retrieved.

(I also know that you can lose that dropped change by, I think, saving and exiting)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, without any clear guidance as to what I should be doing (after house + vendor) I've just started digging down. And down. And down. I have iron, copper, silver and gold bars. Amethysts and sapphires. I have a copper broad sword and an iron pickaxe.

How do I make armour? I have a pair of shackles that zombies drop, but nothing else. I will read the wiki but I thought I'd make conversation here first. Can't seem to do much atm.

Also, my vendor hasn't gotten any new items in several play sessions. I bought all his glowsticks from him when he first showed up, but he hasn't restocked those, nor has any of his available items changed. Not much of a vendor at this point.
Klif

Post by Klif »

sigh.

Misinformation and conjecture are the worst kinds of information.
Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I learned the hard way about not having the pause enabled during a kid-related absence. Death = 50% of your money (rounded up) gone.
Kal wrote:You dont need to take cash with you, I tend to leave mine in a chest or a piggy bank.
GreenGoo wrote:If you build a chest and put your cash in it, is it protected from the 1/2 money penalty from death? i.e. is only the cash on your person halved when you die?
Kal wrote:Yeah Im pretty sure its only the cash you have on your person that is halved as a death penalty.
Unagi wrote:And, from what I've seen - you don't actually lose your cash, rather it's sitting where you died, and if you rush back to that spot (no clue on the limit), you find all your money.
Kal wrote:There is cash there but I have a feeling its not all of it, not sure why I feel that way but yeah there is certainly coins at your death spot.
GreenGoo wrote:I've definitely found cash at my death site, but never bothered to look closely enough to figure out how much it was in comparison to how much I lost dying.
Unagi wrote:I feel like back when I had 3 gold and change - I would run back and pick up 1 gold coin + change - so I was running on the idea that your "1/2 money" just needed to be retrieved.
According to Google: The Wikia is unofficial and can be unreliable, but the Official Terraria Wiki presents the truth.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How is conjecture the worst kind of information?

Harmless discussion is nothing to stress about. The forums would be even MORE quiet if conjecture is off the table.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Klif wrote:sigh.

Misinformation and conjecture are the worst kinds of information....

According to Google: The Wikia is unofficial and can be unreliable, but the Official Terraria Wiki presents the truth.
the [url=http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Death]Official Terraria Wiki[/url] wrote:Death is what happens when your character's health reaches zero. Currently, there is a penalty of taking away half of the amount (rounded up) of each type of Coins your character is carrying at the moment of death. To avoid heavy financial losses upon death, be sure to often stash your cash in your Piggy Bank (or in a Chest, if you don't have one yet).
Speaks nothing of the chunk of change you find at the sight of your demise. I do beleive that is the part we were trying to needle out.

However:
The [url=http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Penalty]Wikia[/url] wrote:Upon death, half of your coins (rounded up) will be dropped. It is possible to return and retrieve them.
Sounds like our misinformation and conjecture was nearly identical to the good, if unofficial, information.

I guess you just don't approve of us chatting when there is Google available. :wink: :)
Kal

Post by Kal »

My perspective (which may differ from yours and still be as valid) is that art of the fun of this game is that it spawns conjecture and discussion. I've tried to avoid spoiling the game through read throughs of the wiki, something I tend to otherwise do, instead the discussion of the game extends my interest of it. Ugg I think that may have come over as overly diplomatic or patronising.

GreenGoo, I think the vendor has a limited selection but this should renew, though from what I have read at Qt3 its a sporadic renewal. As for armour you will need to use your workbench with stone in your inventory, not a chest, and build a furnace which functions in the same way as the bench.

I think the gems have added use since the recent update which I can't advise on but previous to that I was selling all but keeping ten of the gems that had a colour I liked. At some point in the future you will be able to use them to make a lightsaber of the same colour.

:wub:

I found that after I had the enchanted boomerang I wasnt using the bow as much, the sword a bit more than the bow. That said I hear the bosses you can fight do get easier with unholy arrows and a decent bow. Point being I have been upgrading armour with a greater priority. YMMV etc.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I found a wooden(?) boomarang prior to making a bow so I haven't moved to a bow due to ammo concerns.

I have done all of the above with regard to armour making. I have an alch table, anvil, workbench and furnace (assuming this is the same furnace used to smelt ore into bars).

I'll double check that I'm not missing something or out of range of the right piece of furniture. I always have stone on me. I only have a wooden hammer, if that matters.

The Amy's are used for a phase blade that looked pretty cool.

I can definitely get my butt kicked quickly if I take a mistep. in combat. So far it's been fairly mundane critters. Skeletons, bats, piranhas, undead miners and such. But they pack a wallop if they land on me or something.
Kal

Post by Kal »

Ammo, in terms of arrows at least, are replenished to a sufficient extent by pots while underground. Though I use the bow rarely. About the armour, sounds like you definitely need to upgrade but I found it takes far more than you expect. For instance an iron helmet takes 20 bars of iron, so 60 nuggets. Reckon you best keep digging!!

Edit: re:Arrows, that'll be in part due to my rare use of the bow given the boomerang.
Klif

Post by Klif »

GreenGoo wrote:I found a wooden(?) boomarang prior to making a bow so I haven't moved to a bow due to ammo concerns.
I definitely prefer the boomerangs to the bows.
GreenGoo wrote:I have done all of the above with regard to armour making. I have an alch table, anvil, workbench and furnace.
Don't forget to put a chair next to the table!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Klif wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I found a wooden(?) boomarang prior to making a bow so I haven't moved to a bow due to ammo concerns.
GreenGoo wrote:I have done all of the above with regard to armour making. I have an alch table, anvil, workbench and furnace.
For brewing stuff? I am able to make a few potions already so I didn't think the chair served a purpose for crafting. I did not make a chair for my own house, just those that house NPC's. Of which I still only have the guide and the merchant.

I asked about armour because the guide does not show me any armour when I put an iron/silver/copper/gold bar in his crafting slot which usually shows me everything that can be made from the item.

Now, I could just be missing it if it's only 1 or two pieces of armour, but I would assume multiple pieces per metal type could be made, and it's unlikely I could miss so many. As was said earlier in the thread, the scrolling mechanism isn't the greatest when you start to get a lot of craftable items available.

Does anyone know how to take a full screenshot/pic of your entire world? I'd like a bitmap/jpeg that shows my cavernous and twisty maze of mines below the surface.
Klif

Post by Klif »

GreenGoo wrote:
Klif wrote:
For brewing stuff? I am able to make a few potions already so I didn't think the chair served a purpose for crafting. I did not make a chair for my own house, just those that house NPC's. Of which I still only have the guide and the merchant.

I asked about armour because the guide does not show me any armour when I put an iron/silver/copper/gold bar in his crafting slot which usually shows me everything that can be made from the item.

Now, I could just be missing it if it's only 1 or two pieces of armour, but I would assume multiple pieces per metal type could be made, and it's unlikely I could miss so many. As was said earlier in the thread, the scrolling mechanism isn't the greatest when you start to get a lot of craftable items available.

Does anyone know how to take a full screenshot/pic of your entire world? I'd like a bitmap/jpeg that shows my cavernous and twisty maze of mines below the surface.
Chair & Table combination is the only way to make some items (maybe just goggles and depth meter and a few others).
I'm not sure about why it won't show armor. There should be a shirt, pants, and helmet of each type!
Kal

Post by Kal »

I might be wrong but I dont think the table and chair combo is related anything other than a room complete enough that an NPC will enter?

With regard to the map viewer this app is useful but considered cheating by some: (Because of the locations for islands plus everything else, ores, jungle etc.)

http://terrariaworldviewer.codeplex.com/" target="_blank

Edit: Plus how many bars of iron do you have as you need 20 for the smallest item (helmet) I think and it takes 3 ore to make a bar. Perhaps you haven't made the ore into bars?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kal wrote:I might be wrong but I dont think the table and chair combo is related anything other than a room complete enough that an NPC will enter?
It's needed to craft a watch (table with a chair), and a few other 'detailed' things, like I think the depth meter.
Kal wrote:Edit: Plus how many bars of iron do you have as you need 20 for the smallest item (helmet) I think and it takes 3 ore to make a bar. Perhaps you haven't made the ore into bars?
That's my guess too.

If you have (oh, say...) 50 bars of copper, and you stand next to an anvil - you should see a whole bunch of copper armor options...
Kal

Post by Kal »

Ah yeah, as an alchemy table. Haven't played with potions yet, anybody had some fun with them?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kal wrote:Ah yeah, as an alchemy table. Haven't played with potions yet, anybody had some fun with them?
(I believe the bottle on a table makes it a Alchemy Station, but the chair makes it a bit of a 'tinkers' station) (two different things)

Absolutely, don't eat your mushrooms - turn them into a potion. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll double check when I get home tonight.

I've only made healing potions and 1 mana potion (by accident). I do have several potions that I dug up from chests and whatnot but haven't used any. Mostly basic stuff like stoneskin and other somewhat self explanatory types.

Anyone interested in lecturing me about how armour game mechanics work? Straight damage - armour rating = damage taken or something else?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fired it up when I got home and lo and behold the demolition man has joined the ranks. I now have 4 rooms full (including mine and the guide's) so it's time to make a few additions in the off chance I meet the requirements for other npcs.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, yep, not enough bars. I eventually got over 30 silver bars and made myself a breast plate, and then a golden broadsword. I'm a little sturdier but the skeletons still seem to do a fair bit of damage. I also found a ring of regen and a heart thingy so that has solved some of my health issues.
Klif

Post by Klif »

GreenGoo wrote:Ok, yep, not enough bars. I eventually got over 30 silver bars and made myself a breast plate, and then a golden broadsword. I'm a little sturdier but the skeletons still seem to do a fair bit of damage. I also found a ring of regen and a heart thingy so that has solved some of my health issues.
"A heart thingy"? Is that your first health upgrade?

If so: Dude. You need to do some serious explorin'!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

yes, first health upgrade.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

some stuff on potions I'm just discovering:
Spoiler:
real potions (beyond health/mana... like 'water walking') begin with bottled water. I suspect this is via an iron bucket and water, and a bottle.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote:some stuff on potions I'm just discovering:
Spoiler:
real potions (beyond health/mana... like 'water walking') begin with bottled water. I suspect this is via an iron bucket and water, and a bottle.
tonight I brought 30 empty bottles into the depths after seeing that bottled water was needed for some recipes. Once I was standing in water I was able to craft bottles of water. So no bucket required. fyi.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

You can stand in any water pool to "craft" bottled water.
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

GreenGoo wrote: Anyone interested in lecturing me about how armour game mechanics work? Straight damage - armour rating = damage taken or something else?
Pretty much, yes.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Terraria: $2.49 on Steam right now.

4 Pack? $7.49

I knew it. :evil: :D

Also, I've pretty much decided that no one needs to pay me back for the 4 pack, so happy early Christmas to you guys. :wub:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

GreenGoo wrote:Also, I've pretty much decided that no one needs to pay me back for the 4 pack, so happy early Christmas to you guys. :wub:
:wub: indeed! Very generous, 'Goo! Thank you for your kindness.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

The Meal wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Also, I've pretty much decided that no one needs to pay me back for the 4 pack, so happy early Christmas to you guys. :wub:
:wub: indeed! Very generous, 'Goo! Thank you for your kindness.
Wow, Thanks Goo. Be warned though, I may unexpectedly buy you something off your wishlist someday. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

*changes all wishlist items to collector's editions*

But in all seriousness, it's 6 bucks or something. I haven't donated a kidney, so let's not go overboard.

In retrospect I should have pm'd it.

In any case, you're welcome.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Woohoo enchanted boomerang!
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

I can't get the MP to work... it seems like a port forwarding issue but it also doesn't. Anyone have luck or issues?
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The guy that set up the MP game we were using had to forward ports. I believe he used some video guide on Youtube to figure it out. He originally tried hosting and playing but then just set up a dedicated server instead.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JayDeath

Post by JayDeath »

So I built an underground lair with a bed so I can spawn underground where I am mining. The entire room is surrounded by water but the skeletons keep busting through my door and get in constantly. Is there a way to keep them out?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What happens if you have multiple beds in various locations? How does respawning work in that case?

My meandering mine shafts, tunnels and natural cavern structures have led to a very time consuming and confusing path down from the surface.