Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $1337.51 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Sept 1/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Well, I was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger when I saw the 4 pack deal was 2.50 off each. With my somewhat newfound cheapness, I figure I should check around to see if anyone else is interested in taking the plunge.

Anyone want in on a 4 pack?

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Archinerd » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 pm

GreenGoo wrote:Well, I was 2 seconds from pulling the trigger when I saw the 4 pack deal was 2.50 off each. With my somewhat newfound cheapness, I figure I should check around to see if anyone else is interested in taking the plunge.

Anyone want in on a 4 pack?
Yeah, I'll be 2 of 4.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:17 am

Ok, we've got 2.

Any others? $7.50 for Terraria. Save 2 bucks fiddy.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 pm

STEAM wanted me to tell you that Freezer-TPF- and Bakhtosh want the game. :D

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Smoove_B wrote:STEAM wanted me to tell you that Freezer-TPF- and Bakhtosh want the game. :D
Steam, despite my misgivings and outright disagreements with how you operate at certain levels, you are awesome.

I'll pm them.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm

As I guessed, because I purchased it already it's on sale as part of the Summer Camp thingy.

A 4 pack is down to $22.49 -- which is ridiculous.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Smoove_B wrote:As I guessed, because I purchased it already it's on sale as part of the Summer Camp thingy.

A 4 pack is down to $22.49 -- which is ridiculous.
Sweet Mary.

Come guys, we still need 2 more. $5.62.5 each!

Let's do this thing!

(I hope my paypal account is still active).

Actually, the mechanics are that one person buys it and gifts the other 3 copies, is that right? No time limit on gifting I assume? If so, I'll just buy it now and if someone is interested I can gift the extra copies later.

Hey Meal! I know you have an extra copy of something or other. Want to trade whatever it is (frozen synapse maybe?) for one of these? Or maybe you own this already. Or there is a price inequality. We can work something out.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Edit: And 16 meg install? Most installers are more than that these days. Tiny. Relative to today's standard.

Edit2: Ok Arch, game sent. Have fun. Tell us about it here in this thread.

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Archinerd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:45 pm

GreenGoo wrote:Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Edit: And 16 meg install? Most installers are more than that these days. Tiny. Relative to today's standard.

Edit2: Ok Arch, game sent. Have fun. Tell us about it here in this thread.
Looks like you found me!
PM me your PayPal or whatever method you want to receive compensation.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Archinerd wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Ok, I just went ahead and bought the 4 pack. I'll gift yours as soon as I figure out what your steam account is called Archinerd (you're not on my friend's list atm). We can figure out the money thing later. At least you'll have it for the weekend (if that matters to you. It usually does for me).

Edit: And 16 meg install? Most installers are more than that these days. Tiny. Relative to today's standard.

Edit2: Ok Arch, game sent. Have fun. Tell us about it here in this thread.
Looks like you found me!
PM me your PayPal or whatever method you want to receive compensation.
Unless you're in a rush to pay I'll probably leave it for a few days...weeks....months. I tend to procrastinate. I haven't looked at paypal in a few years, I have changed my email since the last time I used it and I expect it to be a pain to get working again. So no worries and definitely no rush, although I will get to it eventually.

edit: Sorry to mess up the thread, I'll take it to PM if we need to talk further.

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 26510
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by The Meal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah, I'm in. I can paypal my share. Frozen Synapse is already spoken for.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 pm

The Meal wrote:Yeah, I'm in. I can paypal my share. Frozen Synapse is already spoken for.
Okey dokey.

Er....what's your handle? I can't find you in the OO group.

User avatar
godhugh
Forum Admin
Posts: 10012
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:18 pm
Location: Plano, TX
Contact:

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by godhugh » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:43 pm

If there's a copy left, I'm in :).
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 26510
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by The Meal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Sorry, gh. I pm'ed my info and I think was the fourth.

[edit:] Whoops. I was actually number three!

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:50 pm

The Meal wrote:Sorry, gh. I pm'ed my info and I think was the fourth.

[edit:] Whoops. I was actually number three!
Yep. I'll gift you the last copy Godhugh.

Edit: The Meal should have his copy now. Godhugh, I see you, but you're not a friend and Steam won't let me gift a non-friend apparently. I've added you but am still unable to gift it to you. I assume Steam is waiting for you to accept the friendship (or something).

For everyone, my paypal account is in limbo and I hadn't planned on looking at it in the near future. Unless someone is of the kind of person who must discharge all debt asap, I'll probably get to it in a week or two. I'll let you all know when it's ready to go. The account is hooked to an email that no longer exists so I expect it to be a pain.

I'm in no rush to get the money, if no one is in a rush to pay it, cool. But I also understand some people are uncomfortable until they've paid money they owe, so I don't want to mess with those people (if we have any). Blah blah blah.

I'm in no rush. I'll let you know when paypal is ready to accept money.

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 26510
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by The Meal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Paypal at your convenience is most convenient for me, but I'll be afk between mid-July and early August, so if you don't get to it before then, don't think I skipped town on your USD 5.xx!

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 pm

The Meal wrote:Paypal at your convenience is most convenient for me, but I'll be afk between mid-July and early August, so if you don't get to it before then, don't think I skipped town on your USD 5.xx!
Not an problem.

Oh, and it looks like you were added to my friends list after the gifting/accepting. Kinda odd.

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Archinerd » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 pm

GreenGoo wrote: For everyone, my paypal account is in limbo and I hadn't planned on looking at it in the near future. Unless someone is of the kind of person who must discharge all debt asap, I'll probably get to it in a week or two. I'll let you all know when it's ready to go. The account is hooked to an email that no longer exists so I expect it to be a pain.
As long as you're cool with this, that's fine with me. If you're $5.00 +/- short to buy a cheeseburger though, don't look at me.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 pm

Ok, Godhugh has the 4th and final one.

Not sure when I'll get to play it, but probably this weekend.

Thread makes it sound interesting. We'll see. :D

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 am

Uh...how do I pause/change options/quit once the game is going? Standard ways don't see to be working.

Ok, going to inventory pops up a save and exit option too. Sorry about that.

Kal
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Kal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 am

I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 am

There is. Thanks. Although all it says is "Autopause: On/Off" so I didn't know what criteria it used to decide. But really I just wanted to quit and didn't realize you could do that off the inventory screen.

I...have no idea what I'm doing. I thought I had figured out crafting (I made torches) but other things I can't seem to make, even though I have the materials. Presumably there are other requisites that I don't realize (like a work bench etc). If it says so on the crafting screen then I'm missing it.

Not complaining, just writing down my initial experiences.

I also lowered the resolution as I found my monitor native rez caused my character to be too small for my old eyes.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:27 am

Everything you need to know for getting started.

There's a bit of a curve in getting used to how the world works, but it all comes together. When you find something in the game and you have no clue what it's for, bring it back to your NPC guide and go into his "Crafting" option. You'll be able to drag the item into a list that will show you what the items can be used to create.

Good luck.

:horse:

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 am

My guide got eaten by zombies.

Problem?

User avatar
Archinerd
Posts: 5851
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:18 am
Location: Shikaakwa

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Archinerd » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am

Smoove_B wrote:Everything you need to know for getting started.

There's a bit of a curve in getting used to how the world works, but it all comes together. When you find something in the game and you have no clue what it's for, bring it back to your NPC guide and go into his "Crafting" option. You'll be able to drag the item into a list that will show you what the items can be used to create.

Good luck.

:horse:
Thanks.
I figured since I had played Minecraft I'd be able to just jump right in. Turns out things are a little more complex than I thought.

User avatar
Zarni
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Zarni » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:07 am

GreenGoo wrote:My guide got eaten by zombies.

Problem?
Your guide will respawn. Just remember to build rooms for NPCs... has to have a door, a back wall, a table and a chair.. oh and a light.

Z

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:18 am

Yeah, he'll come back. :D

I didn't know about the house building either the first time I was playing so I just started digging into a mountain and the NPC followed me in. I then slapped up a wall behind us to stop the slimes from coming in and then freaked out when the sun went down and the monsters came out.

The next day I created a shack and the rest...is history.

User avatar
Klif
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Klif » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Kal wrote:I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.
There's a definite trade-off. With the option off, you are more maneuverable when using the menu system. With the option on, you can leave your computer at any time, with the game paused. That's especially nice for those of us with small children who may need attention.

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39845
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Smoove_B » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah, I learned the hard way about not having the pause enabled during a kid-related absence. Death = 50% of your money (rounded up) gone.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm not much for sandbox games these days, as my creativity is near zero. Ditto imagination. But I'm trying. I have 4 houses up and a wooden sword so the zombies aren't so bad atm.

I have a question. I skimmed off 1 layer of top soil to level a large area. Unfortunately that level still has a dark dirt background, so when I built my house over it, I could only put up wooden walls where the previous top soil wasn't. I.e. the layer of top soil that I dug up is still interfering with my walls, although it appears to be background graphics.

Any solution? If it's not clear I'll try to rephrase.

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 26510
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by The Meal » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Craft a hammer to get rid of the dirt wall.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 pm

The Meal wrote:Craft a hammer to get rid of the dirt wall.
Huh. I have a hammer. I never thought that it was a wall. Well that makes sense. Thanks.

edit: That was it. Not sure how I missed it, but thanks.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zarni
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Zarni » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:22 pm

you should craft a wall to place behind all rooms

User avatar
The Meal
Posts: 26510
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm
Location: 2005 Stanley Cup Champion
the_meal’s avatar
Offline

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by The Meal » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:11 am

Zarni wrote:you should craft a wall to place behind all rooms
But not a dirt wall as monsters can spawn in areas with dirt walls.

Kal
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Kal » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:01 am

Klif wrote:
Kal wrote:I think I have read that there is an option in the settings menu to pause the game when the inventory is open but I also recall that people said they just found it annoying as hell.
There's a definite trade-off. With the option off, you are more maneuverable when using the menu system. With the option on, you can leave your computer at any time, with the game paused. That's especially nice for those of us with small children who may need attention.
Or running to the toilet.... :|

You dont need to take cash with you, I tend to leave mine in a chest or a piggy bank.

Also yeah a lot of the crafting items, in fact most, will require you to be in front of or near to a piece of furniture to craft it. The workbench is the first of these but wont elaborate as I fear breaching into low-level spoiler territory.

Glycerine
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:44 pm
Location: The Edge of Reality

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Glycerine » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 am

I've been playing this almost obsessively for the last week. I just wrapped up my first medium sized world and started a new large one. I've already built a tower fortress and started on a mine going straight done to the bottom so I can mine hellstone and obsidian. A very addictive game, can't wait to see where they take it from here.

Here's a shot of home base, along with the beginnings of the mine below:

Image

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Kal wrote: You dont need to take cash with you, I tend to leave mine in a chest or a piggy bank.
If you build a chest and put your cash in it, is it protected from the 1/2 money penalty from death? i.e. is only the cash on your person halved when you die?

Also, I suck at this. But I've had my son watching videos all day (beautiful sunny day :? ) so he has more than enough suggestions for me.

For the record I was outside doing yardwork while my other 2 played in the kiddie pool/sprinkler.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Glycerine wrote:I've been playing this almost obsessively for the last week. I just wrapped up my first medium sized world and started a new large one. I've already built a tower fortress and started on a mine going straight done to the bottom so I can mine hellstone and obsidian. A very addictive game, can't wait to see where they take it from here.

Here's a shot of home base, along with the beginnings of the mine below:

[img]snip[/img]
Son says your castle is "pretty cool!" and is commenting on your architecture. :)

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by GreenGoo » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:25 am

Ok, how do you swim? Starting to get annoyed. Is the key not to go in the water?

User avatar
Zarni
Posts: 244
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Terraria - Any initial thoughts?

Post by Zarni » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:48 pm

You have to find the swimming fins to do that. its an item found while exploring.

Post Reply