Aliens Colonial Marines PC - up first a trailer 6/1/11

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Aliens Colonial Marines PC - up first a trailer 6/1/11

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... F3jebh6_64" target="_blank

Thank god. I thought this was somehow dead. Can't wait.
Aliens: Colonial Marines begins with an ostensibly abandoned ship, the U.S.S. Sulaco, recovered in orbit around LV-426. Players lead a group of highly trained United States Colonial Marines as they board the deserted craft to uncover the fate of the crew. They will have to fight to survive unspeakable horrors and their own anxieties as they chase down the truth behind a galaxy-spanning deception that places humanity at the mercy of the most murderous and deadly species in the universe. Aliens: Colonial Marines features authentic environments, such as the surface of LV-426 and Hadley’s Hope, weapons inspired by the film series and is designed to provide an exhilarating and engaging new chapter in the Aliens universe.

Aliens: Colonial Marines will be available spring 2012 on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. The game is also on display in the South Hall at SEGA’s booth #2032, at this week’s Electronic Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Re: Aliens Colonial Marines PC - up first a trailer 6/1/11

Post by Holman »

So will Interstellar Marines be better?

And is either of these games more a tactical shooter than a straight-up FPS?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman wrote:So will Interstellar Marines be better?

And is either of these games more a tactical shooter than a straight-up FPS?
That one has intrigued me in the past and looked good doing it. But it's been in the works for 6 years now and no new info. Seems to me like it's still a tech demo that they are trying to get into a game. I wish they could make it. looks really cool.
Brian

Post by Brian »

A friend and I were discussing the video recently and we have some points I would like some feedback on.

1. It appears to be taking place at the colony on LV-426. That colony was destroyed during the nuclear detonation of the atmosphere processor. There shouldn't be anything left of the colony but molten slag.

2. It looks as though they are accessing records from the Sulaco's onboard computer. If so, that's commendable since the fate of the Sulaco was unresolved in the films but why then would a military computer system boot up with the Weyland-Yutani (a civilian company) logo? I guess you could argue that W-Y also built the computer but then their logo should be "Building Better Worlds & Computers." :)

3. The marines checking the computer wonder what happened to Ripley and the others after they abandoned the Sulaco. They should KNOW what happened since a ship loaded with soldiers was dispatched to Fiorina 'Fury' 161 to pick up Ripley. Of course, the "soldiers" were dressed completely different from the Colonial Marines so they might have been W-Y mercenaries. That even seems likely.

4. In the video of what appears to be the remains of the LV-426 colony we finally see an alien appear. Were there any alien survivors of the processor station explosion? I suppose if the colony could somehow survive that nuke then any aliens inside the colony would also survive. But dang it, the colony was right on the doorstep of the reactor so there's no way it should have survived.

5. Not really a nitpick but.... The original alien derelict spacecraft with all of the eggs in it is still out there. It took Newt's family a whole day to drive out there in their buggy so it's feasible and even probably that it would survive the blast. Maybe that will come in to play in this game. Plus, you gotta figure the company (W-Y) knows that it's still out there.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sarkus

Post by Sarkus »

Brian wrote:A friend and I were discussing the video recently and we have some points I would like some feedback on.

1. It appears to be taking place at the colony on LV-426. That colony was destroyed during the nuclear detonation of the atmosphere processor. There shouldn't be anything left of the colony but molten slag.

2. It looks as though they are accessing records from the Sulaco's onboard computer. If so, that's commendable since the fate of the Sulaco was unresolved in the films but why then would a military computer system boot up with the Weyland-Yutani (a civilian company) logo? I guess you could argue that W-Y also built the computer but then their logo should be "Building Better Worlds & Computers." :)

3. The marines checking the computer wonder what happened to Ripley and the others after they abandoned the Sulaco. They should KNOW what happened since a ship loaded with soldiers was dispatched to Fiorina 'Fury' 161 to pick up Ripley. Of course, the "soldiers" were dressed completely different from the Colonial Marines so they might have been W-Y mercenaries. That even seems likely.

4. In the video of what appears to be the remains of the LV-426 colony we finally see an alien appear. Were there any alien survivors of the processor station explosion? I suppose if the colony could somehow survive that nuke then any aliens inside the colony would also survive. But dang it, the colony was right on the doorstep of the reactor so there's no way it should have survived.

5. Not really a nitpick but.... The original alien derelict spacecraft with all of the eggs in it is still out there. It took Newt's family a whole day to drive out there in their buggy so it's feasible and even probably that it would survive the blast. Maybe that will come in to play in this game. Plus, you gotta figure the company (W-Y) knows that it's still out there.
You are assuming that they are going to consider the films after "Aliens" to be required continuity. So that's one possible explanation for the apparent discrepancies. I've not followed development enough to know, but there has been talk that in the event of another film they may ignore films 3 and 4. And apparently the Gearbox forums are down right now, so following up there is not possible at the moment.
Foggy: You have my word as a corporal and a gentleman.
Clegg: Hitler was a corporal!
Foggy: Not in my regiment.
Brian

Post by Brian »

New trailer is out.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Watching that trailer, for some reason, all I kept seeing was "Quickly tap X" over and over and over, with a few seconds of actual shooting.

It looks pretty, no doubt. I'll be on the sidelines waiting to hear reviews, though.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Steam has a pre-order for Colonial Marines. Due date is 2/12/13.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I've read some pretty honest previews that actually had criticism. Both said that it was great until you actually encountered the aliens. The game captured all the tension, mystery and drama of the movie. But that the first encounter was sort of how hum, nothing really led up to it dramatically, and after that, the game seemed to be just another FPS. They could be wrong of course but I saw 2 previews with basically the same take.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

Grifman wrote:I've read some pretty honest previews that actually had criticism. Both said that it was great until you actually encountered the aliens. The game captured all the tension, mystery and drama of the movie. But that the first encounter was sort of how hum, nothing really led up to it dramatically, and after that, the game seemed to be just another FPS. They could be wrong of course but I saw 2 previews with basically the same take.
I can believe it. The preview videos have given me the same impression.

It's the same in the movies themselves, too--things are much scarier when you can't actually see the aliens.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I wasn't going to get this game, but saw Gearbox was involved and since I love Borderlands so much I decided to throw them money even though I suspect I'll be disappointed in this.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There should be an Alien game that's less like Call of Duty and more like Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

1) Gearbox

2) 4 player coop mode

Those two things together guarantee my support.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote:
Grifman wrote:I've read some pretty honest previews that actually had criticism. Both said that it was great until you actually encountered the aliens. The game captured all the tension, mystery and drama of the movie. But that the first encounter was sort of how hum, nothing really led up to it dramatically, and after that, the game seemed to be just another FPS. They could be wrong of course but I saw 2 previews with basically the same take.
I can believe it. The preview videos have given me the same impression.

It's the same in the movies themselves, too--things are much scarier when you can't actually see the aliens.
I disagree about the movie. There was still a lot of dramatic tension in the movies even after the first encounter with the aliens. When would they attack, how would they attack, etc. But the previews said that was missing in the game, FWIW.
Trinok

Post by Trinok »

this game looks pretty sweet
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You guys aren't ruining this for me. Im still getting it :)
neofit

Post by neofit »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, I wasn't going to get this game, but saw Gearbox was involved and since I love Borderlands so much I decided to throw them money even though I suspect I'll be disappointed in this.
Hehe, Gearbox being involved is giving me the exact opposite reaction. These guys are masters of checkpoints and full zone respawns. This is annoying but somewhat bearable in Borderlands due to the complete silliness of it all (and I love the Borderlands in spite of it), it works much less when tacked onto an old-school FPS like DNF, and I cannot imagine it working in ACM (or whatever the acronym will be).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hmm... Didn't realize they did that in other games. I have only really played the Borderland games from them and as you say it works there because it's silly and a Diablo clone where you want more opportunity for loot. Hope they stick to more traditional saving with a serious fast.

I did say I expected to be disappointed, just hope some of my money goes to making Borderlands 3 even more awesome :-)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like Gearbox and their games. Glad they are around to make fun stuff that others don't want to.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

IceBear wrote:Hmm... Didn't realize they did that in other games. I have only really played the Borderland games from them and as you say it works there because it's silly and a Diablo clone where you want more opportunity for loot. Hope they stick to more traditional saving with a serious fast.

I did say I expected to be disappointed, just hope some of my money goes to making another Duke Nukem game even more awesome :-)
FTFY. :P
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Out now.

Impressions, anyone?

I notice that Steam is offering to let you pre-purchase the expected DLC right away. I guess it's just business, but it lends a vibe of "This game is incomplete on Day 1."

EDIT: Uh, oh. RPS initial coverage is not good.
By almost all accounts, Aliens: Colonial Marines, released this week, is a trainwreck. And not one of those cool trainwrecks with explosions, collapsing bridges and men in awesome hats leaping to safety at the last second. Instead it sounds like a sad, slow, drift off the edge of the track, toppling gracelessly onto its side and making a limp ‘pffffffffffffffffff’ noise.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was just about to share that. I wanted to believe maybe - just maybe - a good Aliens game was going to be released. It would seem once again, it's not happening.

Kotaku agrees.
Let's cut to the chase: Aliens: Colonial Marines is an awful game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ugh, that's one of the worst reviewed games I've read about. The game sounds just awful.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good thing for Gearbox Borderlands is such a gold mine. Wonder if they are a one shot wonder?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I break my "no preorder, wait for reviews!" rule twice this year and the second time it bites me in the ass. Now I remember why I started doing that. :(

Ah well, at least I got it on sale. 28 bucks hurts a lot less than 59.
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Bummer, can't say I'm shocked, but man I really wanted a good Aliens game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote:Good thing for Gearbox Borderlands is such a gold mine. Wonder if they are a one shot wonder?
If I'm to believe the Intertubes, Gearbox was only responsible for the MP aspect of this game. All of the SP content was done by TimeGate Studios.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

hepcat wrote:I break my "no preorder, wait for reviews!" rule twice this year and the second time it bites me in the ass. Now I remember why I started doing that. :(

So, you broke it twice in a month? Gonna be a long year, huh? ;)
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Can't read the reviews from work, but is it buggy or just plain old crappy? If it were buggy there's hope if it might get patched. Seriously how can they mess up such a good license? :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Octavious: It sounds like plain old crappy.

Priceless bit from the PA Report:
For my final thought, I’d like to leave you with the already-infamous image of the derpy alien. There are entire rooms of these guys, and they all just kind of walk around. It’s amazing. It’s like Gearbox used their money, time, and resources to finally answer the question of what would happen if science fiction’s greatest predator had to hold something between its buttcheeks while walking around a dimly lit room.
Spoiler:
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

OMFG.. Octavious OUT!

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Octavious wrote:Can't read the reviews from work, but is it buggy or just plain old crappy? (
Crappy. Poor animations, bad clipping, non-existant AI for allies and enemies, terrible looking cutscenes, 4-6 hour single player campaign, just sounds horrible.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:
Grifman wrote:Good thing for Gearbox Borderlands is such a gold mine. Wonder if they are a one shot wonder?
If I'm to believe the Intertubes, Gearbox was only responsible for the MP aspect of this game. All of the SP content was done by TimeGate Studios.
Another article, can't find it now, has representatives of Sega denying this.

Here it is:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-alie ... e-studios/" target="_blank
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This interview as well seems to support that idea that Gearbox (and Randy Pitchford) are standing firm behind the entirety of the game. I've got nothing, but I've yet to see a positive gaming review.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote:I break my "no preorder, wait for reviews!" rule twice this year and the second time it bites me in the ass. Now I remember why I started doing that. :(

I can think of two guys you have to show caution when they are talking about their games.... Randy Prittchard and Chris Taylor. They can make a pile of dog shit sound awesome
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Is it so hard to make a good game these days? Wish they would just release the AvP series with updated texture packs.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I swear, I must be the kiss of death for pre-orders. Hilariously, I even swore to stop pre-ordering at all, but it's Gearbox and Aliens, man!

My previous pre-orders:
Sword of the Stars II
Elemental

Yeah, that happened.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chaz wrote:

So, you broke it twice in a month? Gonna be a long year, huh? ;)
Sorry, keep forgetting we're now in 2013. The other game was X-Com LAST year. :oops:
He won. Period.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well at least X-Com was good. I loved the old AvP multiplayer and was hoping this one would be fun too. Nothing like spiking someones head to a wall with the spear. :lol: