Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Blackhawk »

LOOT sorts for you. First you click the button in the corner that looks like a bunch of horizontal lines, then you click apply. It will correctly sort 95% of your mods. Those it does not recognize are placed at the bottom. Are you running Helgen Reborn? It recommends activating it after you are through Helgen or you can get oddness, including with the wagon. Your control issue may be because something is using a key by default that you have assigned to something else. The missing files may be due to a requirement (SKSE or another mod, for instance) that you don't have installed.

Honestly, if you want a heavily modded game, don't play the SE. You gain better lighting tech at the cost of most of the mods, and there is a good chance that waiting won't fix it, as many of the utilities may never be ported. If you want to have a near Vanilla game, get the SE. If you want a bunch of mods, get the original.

And follow the STEP Project to get a basic set of mods.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No not using Helgen. I remember that from last time. Same issue different cause.

Not a control issue. Its a bug with the mod conflict. If I resolve it then the quicksave works fine too.

I deleted it. Im going to go through and read every mods requirement. If any need SKSE then it will be put aside.

Nah I love fooling with this game series. Modding it is over half the fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok reinstalled and back where I was last night. No problems this time. Im marking it up to both luck and that Ive read the mod info and edited files I should have edited yesterday.

Still when I add a mod its a toss up if it works and I'm always on edge when I fire it up to test.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote:[...]that Ive read the mod info and edited files I should have edited yesterday.
Heh, I learned that the hard way years ago. Probably back with Oblivion. I wasn't paying attention to Read Me files, just installing everything and moving on; too bad there were a couple of mods that included different versions... and only one was supposed to being installed. Ooops. :D

Luckily the mod makers have gotten better about having the install handle that. It's possible that I'm still not that great at reading everything on the mods.... 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you aren't using it, I strongly recommend Mod Organizer over Mod Manager. Through the power of voodoo, it installs your mods without altering your actual install (none of the files are ever placed in your actual Skyrim folder.) That means that you can delete all of your mods and start over without ever reinstalling Skyrim, or can run vanilla Skyrim at any time, or can have half a dozen different profiles, each with a different set of mods, without having to install Skyrim multiple times. You can even back up an entire install once you have it working correctly and restore it some other time without having to back up all of Skyrim itself.

And at the very least, I strongly suggest that anyone follow the STEP Wiki down through step 2C, even if you aren't following STEP.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This mod organizer......when you click a file on Nexus to download with 'download with mod proggy' or whatever will mod organzer do that just like NMM? Or do I have to do it manually somehow?

EDIT : Never mind. Almost instantly found my answer with this video on it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Remember, the STEP guide I linked earlier walks you through setting up Mod Organizer, plus LOOT, Wrye, and so forth to work with it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just removed the mods I had added and deleted NMM...will give Organizer a go.

Im doing the tutorial and have not watched all videos yet but have a question. In NMM I always ran archive invalidation once mods were installed. Is that in MO or something like it or is it all just install and go with it?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Again, follow the step-by-step instructions for STEP I linked above through 2C, even if you're not using STEP.

For Mod Organizer, these are the suggestions. The Back-date BSAs option they describe is archive invalidation.

And you should only ever have to do it once, including in NMM. The only reason you'd have to repeat the invalidation/back date process is if Skyrim itself gets updated.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found that back thing. Archive was greyed out on Skyrim.

Whatever witchcraft it uses to install mods yet not install mods is pretty cool.

Haha this is the first time I remembered to look for the horse thief that runs and gets cut down by archers. From the pic I guess he has a Achilles heel :)

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As great as this mod organizer is Ive come across a problem already. I have to install an idle animation mod because its required by the X32 skeleton mod. Once installed I need to run a file called GenerateFNISforUsers.exe . In the other mod manager it let me do it from inside of it. But this one did not make that file to fun. Its nowhere on my drives plus the MO says the file structure is wrong. I told it to ignore that. Now Im not sure what to do....maybe remove it all and start again with that mod. If it wasn't required I wouldn't use it.

Seems Im watching more how to videos instead of doing.

Im reposting the STEP guide link in case anyone else needs it.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Mod_Organi ... mendations
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mod Organizer keeps the actual files separate in order to maintain the vanilla game in the directory, so you won't see the file on your drive the way you do in NMM. Instead, you have to tell MO to run the file on your mod install instead. Go to the STEP guide page for installing LOOT here. Follow those instructions, but substitute the info for your utility. You have to do that for any utility you want to run on your install, or the utility will try to use the default (vanilla) directory.

And, just to clarify, the full STEP guide is here. That page you linked is just the detail page for Mod Organizer. Just go down the list in order, and be sure to click on any item that says "detailed instructions available."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also note that the FNIS page has detailed instructions for Mod Organizer.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lucky that STEP had that mod with instructions. Got it working. Hope they keep it updated.

Damn....the modder who made the 'TRUE' series of stuff like True Eyes and True Color has removed all of his mods. I had a few I was going to use. Now I have to find alternatives if possible. Should be some more eyes mdos. Something about not enough donatiosn even though he had tons of endorsements and kind words. Guess it wasn't enough for him. He'd rather no one use them and get nothing than some money.

To me someone who would rather have all of nothing than part of something is not the brightest bulb in the shed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some of my mod version numbers are in red numbers but dont know why. Looking and comparing to the mod page they are the latest files and sometimes the file on the mod page is higher than the red number it shows in MO but its the file I downloaded so dont know why MO shows a older number. Im guessing its an outdated readme with an old version number causing a mismatch.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mod Organizer gets its version number from only one of the files, and compares that to the version on the Nexus with the same ID number. If you install something with a patch, or an optional component that has a different version number, it shows as having an update available.

In other words, if you download "Happy Birds" and it is 2.0, but has another, optional file that is "Happy Birds - no laughter 2.0b", that 2.0b is a different version number than the base mod. Since MO can only check the base mod, it shows it as the wrong version.

Just right click it and 'ignore update.' It won't turn red until another new update is available.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When it says to edit suchandsuch INI file do I edit the one in the game dir on my G drive or the one on my C drive in documents users suchandsuch?..I have been editing both of them to the same edit that mods say to since they do not specify which of them to edit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

None of the above. In Mod Organizer, click on the tools icon (puzzle pieces) and use the editor there. When you start the game, Mod Organizer swaps the ones you edit there for the ones in your game directory, meaning that the ones in the game directory do nothing. This keeps the vanilla install pristine and allows you to switch profiles (as each profile has its own .ini set.)

Again, the guide.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got one the guide doesn't help with. Its showing in LOOT.

Immersive Citizens - ELFXEnhancer patch .exe

This plugin requires "ELFXEnhancer.esp" to be installed, but it is missing.

Ok I have Enhanced lighting and fx installed along with the patch for it. But for some reason i keep getting the error in LOOT. Ive tried manually rearranging the load order with one in front of the other to no help. Right now all i can do it turn off citizens.

Fixed the error by simply turning off citizens mod. But after running LOOT and no errors then running FNISn then backdating...MO crashed. So restarted and now Skyrim starts but exits soon as the title screen shows. Must be a mod I added just now..added 5 . May take a break.

How people play with 400 mods is crazy.

EDIT: It was enhanced lights or open cities crashing it at start. resolved that by turning them off. now when it starts my wagon wheels are flying all over...need to see whats causing that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Turns out it was my high heel walk animation that was causing the crash. A simple small mod. How will I live without that?? :roll:

I thought it was my weather or lighting mods but they are all on and working now. Still have Immersive Citizens off for now.

Will delve into why the walking animation is causing trouble. Gotta be a conflict as I see tons of videos with it and I also used to use it.

Open Cities is a pain...as always. May need to leave it off until I get into the game a bit
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Turns out it was my high heel walk animation that was causing the crash. A simple small mod. How will I live without that?? :roll:
I've read that there's a known conflict with this animation and the "Heaving Sweaty Cleavage" and "Ass Jiggle Physics" mods that corrupts the "Penis Enlargement" mod files, causing a reversed-size rendering. The whole problem cascades into the "Play with just the mouse" script, forcing you to use two hands again while you "Play" the game.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:clap:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got Immersive Citizens sorted out. Had to delete and reinstall a lighting mod to fix it and turn off a patch for a mod I have not installed yet.

Dont you just hate it when a mod installs something it doesn't tell you about? Like say a candle mod installs some sound mod for footsteps? Something installed LOUD ass footsteps as if Im wearing heavy metal armor but Im wearing all leather. Finding it is proving a wild goose hunt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think I asked before but dont think I got an answer...is there a place that shows how many mods I have installed in MO? I have so many that counting becomes a chore.

Right now I have about 35 mods working. Heres some pics of the night lights, the new moon I added, and inside lighting with smoking candles.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: and turn off a patch for a mod I have not installed yet.
That will always cause problem. Always double check dependencies, and both Loot and Wrye will warn you about them (Missing Masters error, I believe in this case.) You will walk into an area where the patch fixes something. The patch will refer to something in the base mod you didn't install. The game reaches over to grab it, it doesn't exist, and you're on the desktop.

For installed mods, the left side is the list of all the mods you have installed, the right side is all the .esp files, with a priority number you can use to count them (and you're fine as long as you don't hit 256, which I have often come very close to in past installs.) There is also modwat .ch here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ran Bash back when I had like 5 mods and wish I hadn't. Theres a file on the left called Overwrite and a warning icon in the top right that says it is empty.Doesn't seem to affect anything but I cant delete it either. Plan to run Bash again when Im all done so maybe then it will clear it.

I see you have Wet & Cold. I want the breath effects from there but not much else. I dont want everyone wearing hoods again or cloaks and I dont remember if it makes you get warm or die. i have it in my list to grab but have skipped it until I read up on it more.

That looks handy too. i may download that. I can list my mods that I have in so far.

EDIT: Cannot get a working download of modwatch from Nexus. If I download it then it is all bad when I try and extract it. used both a downloader and the built in browser one. If I try to select a server then there are none but premium servers listed. Ill look for it somewhere other than Nexus. If I cant find it then i cant list them sry.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did you read the guide before you built the bashed patch? It deliberately puts the resulting files into your Overwrite directory. For now, double click Overwrite and delete the files and you'll be fine until you build it again.

Wet and Cold doesn't kill you. It does have configuration options, but through the MCM, which you likely don't have if you are still running the SE.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. Cleared the error icon. Nope didn't read. ive used BASH since about 10 or 15 years ago.All Ive ever done is run it. Maybe its changed a bunch.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Thanks. Cleared the error icon. Nope didn't read. ive used BASH since about 10 or 15 years ago.All Ive ever done is run it. Maybe its changed a bunch.
Wrye hasn't changed. You've changed mod software. It works differently in order to avoid the kind of problems that came from just dumping everything into one folder NMM style. Put simply, Mod Organizer fools Skyrim, LOOT, Wrye, and so on into thinking that its directory is the Skyrim directory. You have to do certain things differently. Until you've done it all through MO at least once, read the step-by-step. If you don't, you will have issues (like the fact that you didn't actually create the bashed patch - you created the files, but never turned them into the actual mod.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya MO is a bit more complicated but seems to work a lot better. I like it not changing stuff.

I solved a problem I had since reinstalling...reversed stereo. Like if a blacksmith was hammering on my left I heard it in my right ear and vice versa. I think I had the same problem with the same solution years ago. I thought it was my Razer fake surround messing with it but it was just my normal sound settings. Changed from 24 bit sound to 16 bit and it fixed it and I could keep my software surround stuff. That makes all sounds including effects like rain and thunder much better. I was running all over town looking for who was hammering metal :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm beginning to worry. I'm starting to think I'm going to get all these mods to work and I'll have to play it. :P

Oh, and I also got my footsteps sounds turned down.

Some of these mods have settings in the game like Wet and Cold but I dont know how to access them yet. Need to figure that out also. Clicking 'MODS' in the menu simply shows me a list of mods installed with no edit or option menu.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Are you running the SE or the original?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:SE
See what I've posted a couple of times already.

Nearly every configuration option for modern mods is done through the MCM, which requires SkyUI and SKSE. You won't have config options.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its ok...seems ok right now. Although Im betting BASH will help even more..if it runs after i get to BASH :)

Semi quick question.....Ive gotten almost all my mods installed to 3/4 down my list. Im now seeing some I listed that I dont need any longer so Im skipping those and also some that are for Skyrim and not SE which I dont really want to fuss with.

So that brings me soon to companions. Are they all in one now days with body and armor and all or do I need to start searching for a custom armor for each? And do they come with a custom body? If not whats good? UNP? CBBE? I was leaning CBBE if I had to get one. You can view my companion list in my mod list.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It varies from companion to companion. Some have multiple options. Personally I don't use any body mods (I'm perfectly happy with the built-in bodies, although I do have retextures.) I'm only using two companions myself. I started with Ceridwen, but found her a little too powerful so I switched to Vilja, whom I have been very happy with.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some special armors require body mods I think.

Ive decided against using any ENBs at all. Just a mess waiting to happen. had a few listed but after looking at all of them they are manual download and install and will overwrite tons of other mods and files. No thanks.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dangnabbit. Theres a really nice mod called EEKs Whiterun Interiors SSE. It comes with patches for a lot of other mods but I use more than it patches so I dont see a way to install it without minor to major hiccups. Like I have lighting inside other than just FX. I have an archery shop added. And at least 1 other interior problem I see no way to patch. Id love to use it..looks wonderful...but am too afraid.

EDIT: Turned off the archery shop and kept archery sellers in the inn and such. Hope it works.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting very very close now. Had to remove EEKs and the Companion dialog overhaul. I think I can get both to work just tired tonight.

All thats left is going over my list and rechecking to make sure I got the stuff installed I wanted.
Install companion mods
Install theirs and others armor mods
get a body perhaps
run BASH.

EDIT: Ok scratch that part got them fixed. Im SO close. thought I was done for the night until I ran into someone in the inn wit ha black face.

No idea what caused it because I didn't install a new npc or face or anything mod ....unless she has been hidden in town somewhere the entire time Ive modded and tested tonight.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shit I was soooo close. i downloaded a Tamara npc / companion to replace or fix the broken one. Log in , enter the tavern, and there she is all normal. Yay! Turn to leave and run into the old Tamara still there with the black heal also. Sigh. Im going to bed in a min. F it for the night :P