Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Tampa_Gamer

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:So, Enderal is out, and it is incredible so far. Only about a half hour into it, and it looks great, the story is interesting, and the voice acting hasn't made my ears bleed, so it's a definite recommendation! It won't hold your hand as much as Skyrim (though there is more of a tutorial than I remember from Nehrim), and it's probably because it's from a German team, but there is a slight "Gothic" vibe so far. I'm quite stoked to dive into this one, as I've been jonesing for a good Bethesda style RPG.
Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering when they would get around to releasing the English version now that the german has been out a while. I assume you are playing it clean, with no mods whatsoever? or does it allow non-game mechanics changing ones, like UI mods?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

They warn against using graphics mods or even the enb lighting injectors. I'm playing clean.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Tampa_Gamer wrote: Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering when they would get around to releasing the English version now that the german has been out a while. I assume you are playing it clean, with no mods whatsoever? or does it allow non-game mechanics changing ones, like UI mods?
I was impressed with how easy the gamed install backed up my modded-out Skyrim. As far as UI, SkyUI is already part of this mod.

I am having a personal issue with the game though. I was arrested in Riverville, and because of a bug, I repeated the arrest process 52 times. The outcome was reaching Level 11 with all the points to spend, but the downside was having my one-handed and two-handed combat skills reduced to -(minus)35 and - (minus)36, respectively. I still can't decide if I should play it like that. I'm bound to need combat skills at some point in the game, right?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I plan to reinstall for the 5th time when I get a SSD for games and then mod the shit out of it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Dave Allen wrote:
Tampa_Gamer wrote: Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering when they would get around to releasing the English version now that the german has been out a while. I assume you are playing it clean, with no mods whatsoever? or does it allow non-game mechanics changing ones, like UI mods?
I was impressed with how easy the gamed install backed up my modded-out Skyrim. As far as UI, SkyUI is already part of this mod.

I am having a personal issue with the game though. I was arrested in Riverville, and because of a bug, I repeated the arrest process 52 times. The outcome was reaching Level 11 with all the points to spend, but the downside was having my one-handed and two-handed combat skills reduced to -(minus)35 and - (minus)36, respectively. I still can't decide if I should play it like that. I'm bound to need combat skills at some point in the game, right?
You lost me. So being arrested gives you XP? But why does it reduce your melee combat skills?

My current run is as a spell caster. The character is EXTREMELY over powered. Possibly due to one of my balance mods. Not really sure. Maybe spell casters just get bad ass. But he doesn't need to know any melee skills. So you could go magic all the way.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't think I was ever arrested in Skyrim, but in Morrowind and Oblivion getting arrested resulted in a skill point or two being lost, representing time spent languishing in a cell.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Blackhawk wrote: ...getting arrested resulted in a skill point or two being lost, representing time spent languishing in a cell.
exactly.
TheMix wrote: My current run is as a spell caster. The character is EXTREMELY over powered. Possibly due to one of my balance mods. Not really sure. Maybe spell casters just get bad ass. But he doesn't need to know any melee skills. So you could go magic all the way.
Then I shall continue on my unbeaten path. :)
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I will say that when I was initially researching, people seemed to suggest that magic was a tough path. Apparently there were some scaling issues. As I understood the issue, people were saying that at higher levels, the spells wouldn't do enough damage to matter (i.e. it would take hours to kill a dragon). But I'm not sure exactly what they meant by "higher levels". I'm using a couple magic mods, including some balancing. So I haven't had any issues. Hopefully the makers of this mod have addressed the scaling for you.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

TheMix wrote:I will say that when I was initially researching, people seemed to suggest that magic was a tough path. Apparently there were some scaling issues. As I understood the issue, people were saying that at higher levels, the spells wouldn't do enough damage to matter (i.e. it would take hours to kill a dragon). But I'm not sure exactly what they meant by "higher levels". I'm using a couple magic mods, including some balancing. So I haven't had any issues. Hopefully the makers of this mod have addressed the scaling for you.
Probably did. Seems like they release an update every other day or so.

KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: not sure how common knowledge this is ... the remastered edition is slated for release on Oct 28 ... apparently the rumored PS4 mods are a no-show due to SONY dragging their feet (*shrug*)

according to ESO:

Skyrim Remastered EVERYTHING You NEED To Know! (PS4 Mods Console, Special Edition FREE, Release Date
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not really. The article, dated today, says that this is a last minute change.

It sounds like Sony wants to limit what content is available via mods to ensure that nobody does anything controversial - nude mods, violence mods, that sort of thing:
"Mods on PlayStation 4 will allow you to modify and create your own content by using our Creation Kit available here. You will not be able to upload external assets with your PlayStation 4 mods, but you will be able to use any assets that come with the game, as most mods do."
So no new textures, models, sounds, animations, or anything of that nature. That's a big limitation. Since most modders make their mods for the PC first, they're simply not going to make mods based on the PS4's limitations. That means that most modders will just ignore the PS4.

Sony is setting up an unpleasant precedent here.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

PC content is not curated out of the box and Sony content is, and they are going to protect that. I'm glad for anything honestly, and I'm fairly sure there will be mods for the PS4 version.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:PC content is not curated out of the box and Sony content is, and they are going to protect that. I'm glad for anything honestly, and I'm fairly sure there will be mods for the PS4 version.
So is Microsoft content, and they have no such limitations. There will certainly be mods for the PS4, but nowhere near the number or quality of those for other systems. Nobody is going to take their big quest mod and rewrite it to remove all of the custom content.

It isn't like I don't understand Sony's stance, but it isn't compatible with the modding community that has grown up around Bethesda games.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It'll fork. Hopefully there'll still be some decent ones. I don't know that you can mod an Xbox game to include X-rated content? That's a new one if so.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:It'll fork. Hopefully there'll still be some decent ones. I don't know that you can mod an Xbox game to include X-rated content? That's a new one if so.
I don't know if you can either. I'd be surprised if you could. If not, though, Microsoft handled it through policy ("No mods containing nudity, sex, or killing children.") Sony is handling by prohibiting any and all custom content, limiting modders to only the assets included in the base game.

That kills the nudity, but it also kills custom armor, weapons, voice acting, textures, sounds, structures, races, and anything else of that sort.

It would eliminate probably 90% of the mods in my current set.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

From Sony's point of view they are saving money by not having to police every little thing and MS's point of view is that they'll get enough additional players to compensate for the extra cost. Since MS is behind, then it certainly makes sense for them to take their stance and since Sony is ahead, it makes sense for them too. Is Skyrim going to be on Xbox?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I believe that the policing is done by Bethesda, not MS or Sony.

I'd guess that Sony just hates the idea of not being in complete, immediate control of what is on their system. They want to directly approve everything that crosses the wire onto their box, and are only allowing this much because of the hit they're taking for it. Fallout 4 was one of the most popular and best selling games of the past year, and they're the only ones who haven't allowed modding. That's got to cut into sales, and that's the only reason they're flexing as much as they are.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'm sorry you'll be disappointed with it Blackhawk. Really I am. I will be getting the PS4 version but I really don't mess much with mods for most stuff (except WoW) so I'll play around with what's there.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:I'm sorry you'll be disappointed with it Blackhawk. Really I am. I will be getting the PS4 version but I really don't mess much with mods for most stuff (except WoW) so I'll play around with what's there.
I won't be - I can't see myself playing one of the Bethesda open world games on a console. I love my consoles, but I've also got something of a reputation to uphold when it comes to Elder Scrolls/Fallout modding! Hell, my obsession with it got OO in PC Gamer years ago.

I'm just engaging in discussion about the news itself and what it really means from the perspective of someone who has spent time with the modding community and construction set.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

No Enderal. That's a shame. I've put well over 40 hours into Enderal. My character is level 71. I never got close to that in my Skyrim runs. And I'm still not done. It's basically like getting another complete game. I'm even a little tempted to go back and try their Oblivion mod.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Comparison of original Skyrim PC specs to Remastered:
Original minimum specs from 2011:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

Minimum specs for the Special Edition, via Bethesda:

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

TheMix wrote:I will say that when I was initially researching, people seemed to suggest that magic was a tough path. Apparently there were some scaling issues. As I understood the issue, people were saying that at higher levels, the spells wouldn't do enough damage to matter (i.e. it would take hours to kill a dragon). But I'm not sure exactly what they meant by "higher levels". I'm using a couple magic mods, including some balancing. So I haven't had any issues. Hopefully the makers of this mod have addressed the scaling for you.
Here is the basic complaint about magic not being good for end game.

When using a weapon,
damage goes up as your skill rises.
damage goes up with perk selection
damage goes up as you find higher tier weapons
using crafting, you can dramatically increase the damage even on top tier weapons

when using magic
damage goes up as your skill rises
damage goes up with perk selection
occasionaly get a higher tier spell, but there is always a tradeoff with range or mana cost, or AOE, etc. its never just "better"

whats missing with magic, is the ability to find higher tier weapons, and then make them better with crafting. its an entire facet of damage scaling that doesn't even exist, and the damage output really shows it after a while.

the various magic scaling mods available have tried to make up for that, to varying degrees of success
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Whatever I was running with seemed to address the issue. My mage had no issues. A dual cast lighting bolt would often KO most things I came across. Occasionally I'd need a second one. Dragons took a bit more, but weren't bad at all.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont forget that the special edition comes out the 28th and its free to those of us who bought the other edition or have it with all dlc.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The pre-load for Skyrim SE is now up on Steam. Also, it goes live at 0000Z on the 28th, so in North America that will be the evening of the 27th (1700 PT, 2000 ET).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks, started it up.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got the PS4 version arriving tomorrow.

I feel a tad guilty about buying a game I already own for PC, but due to my aging video card the console is going to give me the better experience. Really looking forward to it since I barely scratched the surface of it when it first came out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think Ive played 5 times. 3 times I barely got anywhere, 1 time I got 1/4 into it and the last try I got half done or more. Someday I think Ill finish it lol.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It looks like the Steam pre-load has unlocked a couple of minutes early... :whistle:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She's up and running. It really does look better than originally. I only played the intro part. It will take me a week to mod it up. Might have over 100 mods when Im done. IF they work with this version. Oh and it ran on ULTRA setting just fine and smooth. Looked great. But not anywhere near what it can look like....and will.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote:I've got the PS4 version arriving tomorrow.

I feel a tad guilty about buying a game I already own for PC, but due to my aging video card the console is going to give me the better experience. Really looking forward to it since I barely scratched the surface of it when it first came out.
Same here. Plus, playing on the big screen from the couch is always a plus.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Daehawk wrote:She's up and running. It really does look better than originally. I only played the intro part. It will take me a week to mod it up. Might have over 100 mods when Im done. IF they work with this version. Oh and it ran on ULTRA setting just fine and smooth. Looked great. But not anywhere near what it can look like....and will.
Nexus has a site up for the special edition. Being that this version is 64 bit, many of the old mods won't work.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ran badly at high settings on my computer. It's time for a new computer but too many other needs must be filled first sadly. Glad I'm getting it on the PS4 with GameStop credit.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Getting slammed on Steam reviews. My take is that this was primarily done so consolers could use mods, but actually a step back for PC owners (who modded it).

Poot. :(

More than a few saying that it looks (and more importantly performs) much better using vanilla with mods than this version. Doesn't look as good, and has half the frame rate? Uhhh, no thankee (if true).

I guess I will wait for a patch, or mods, before installing (or just ditch the idea of using this as my play through version, and go back to vanilla + mods).
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Lorini wrote:Ran badly at high settings on my computer. It's time for a new computer but too many other needs must be filled first sadly. Glad I'm getting it on the PS4 with GameStop credit.
I fired it up on my rig. My setup is a Geforce 760, 6 gigs of Ram, AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU.

The game ran surprising well on Ultra settings running at 1920 x 1080. I usually got anywhere from 40fps to 60fps. The game seems to be locked at 60 max as it never went over that and stayed there during all of the indoor parts. It did dip down into the 30s at some points, but it never dipped below 30 and it never stayed in the 30s for long.

Overall I was surprised my aging system ran it was well as it did.
FTE
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My game kept lagging with an Nvidia 970 and an i5 3270 CPU. I don't do mods (I greatly enjoy vanilla) so moving to the PS4 is not a big deal for me.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lorini wrote: I don't do mods (I greatly enjoy vanilla) so moving to the PS4 is not a big deal for me.
Yeah I got some sideways glances from gaming friends for going with the PS4 version, particularly since it apparently won't support as many mods as the Xbox version. However, I don't plan on loading ANY mods, so I don't care.

I'm a bit of a gaming purist. The thought of loading someone's amateur code into my game gives me the heebie-jeebies. :D

I don't begrudge anyone's enjoyment of modding, however. I'm sure there are some great ones out there. Just not my style.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: I'm a bit of a gaming purist. The thought of loading someone's amateur code into my game gives me the heebie-jeebies. :D
Given the number of mods in ES/FO titles that have been designed specifically to fix Bethesda's errors (and did so successfully), I would almost say you're thinking sideways. ;)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If I notice any errors and they bothered me then I guess I'd look for a fix, but that didn't happen so I was very happy with the game.
Black Lives Matter