Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Elder Scrolls Skyrim thread

Post by Blackhawk »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing it vanilla. I was just teasing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I am eagerly awaiting the improved UI mods to make their re-appearance. So console-ly...
There is no hug button. Sad!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Since we don't have a dedicated console thread and it's the same game anyway, hopefully you guys won't mind some quick impressions of the PS4 version here.

I must admit I was a little let down in that the graphical improvement seems to extend primarily towards the landscape and doesn't do anything to fix Bethesda's shitty character models and textures. So in that respect the game still looks and feels its age. On the other hand, I'm not regretting buying it for console because I do feel more at home playing it on the big screen. I sunk a ton of hours into Oblivion on console, so for me personally that's where this game feels more at home.

And the game is still a blast to play; that certainly hasn't changed. It's not super-polished - I've had a few minor hiccups less than two hours in: an enemy getting briefly stuck, my character getting stuck in a jump position - but they were temporary glitches and not game breakers.

Ultimately I wonder, however, if it's going to be worth the upgrade for those who have already sunk 100 hours into it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nexus has a site up for the special edition. Being that this version is 64 bit, many of the old mods won't work.
Thanks...that will will be very handy and I had no idea of it.

Im stuck at 1920x1080 because thats the best it has. My native is 2560x1080. Maybe a mod will fix that. I always play with mods so I was surprised how bad the people textures are. Not seen the vanilla ones since 2011 or so lol.

Some of my hardware is 5 years old now and some newer so I was surprised it ran great.

Intel i7 2600k
16 gig G-Skill Ripjaw
EVGA Nvidia GTX 770 SC 2g ACX
Sound Blaster Z

I really want this one to take off because its full 64 bit unlike the original. But the old version has so many mods that we know will work and not guess at. Decisions to come in the future I guess.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at the few mods so far for the SE version I see theres already a signpost mod. I think the very first mod I ever got for a Elder Scrolls game was a signpost one for Morrowind. It made the signs in English so you could read them. very handy and I still remember it today.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing it vanilla. I was just teasing.
It's kind of funny because there is NO WAY IN HELL I'm playing WoW vanilla. I clutch my 40 or so mods tightly to my chest and utterly freak when a patch comes and some of them break for two hours, so I totally understand. But I started using WoW mods very early when there weren't many and kind of grown from there. That wouldn't be the case for Skyrim. So I'm playing it vanilla with my 1,100+ page Primagames strategy guide by my side. Hopefully it'll be even better than the first time :)
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote:Since we don't have a dedicated console thread and it's the same game anyway, hopefully you guys won't mind some quick impressions of the PS4 version here.
There is so much overlap in the various markets today that it doesn't really make sense to keep them separate to begin with. If I were the boss, I'd be seriously considering merging the PC and Console forums at this point. The industry has changed a lot since our format was set up in the 90s.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At this time I suggest no one install the unofficial Skyrim SE patch. It messed my game up to the point Im stuck and crashed. Saw another guy do it and it destroyed his audio and crashed him.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given that the new Creation Kit (editor) has not yet been released, I'd be very hesitant to recommend any mods at this point. At best, people are guessing what the differences are and are hacking existing mods to work with the new version. There is no Skyrim Script Extender at this point, which means that many mods that use it will not work. SkyUI, which many other mods require (even if they don't use the Script Extender), is also dependent on the Script Extender.

I'll give the same advice I gave for Fallout 4 right after release: Any mods at this point are going to be hacks, and are likely to have issues. Not all of those issues will be visible. Making your armor invisible or having your horses fly is a minor issue. Dropping runaway scripts into your save file can make your game crash every few minutes - but not until 50 hours in.

So wait.

Personally, I've got an install I've barely touched running silky-smooth with 254 mods (the limit), so I can't see myself restarting on the SE at this point. I would consider getting the SE on the PS4 for my kids to play, though.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I may no longer drink to excess or hang out in bad neighborhoods any more, but I'll be damned if I don't mod Bethesda games, creation kit or not! If you need to send me some mail, just address it "The Edge", because that's where I live my life.
Last edited by Suitably Ironic Moniker on Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Since we don't have a dedicated console thread and it's the same game anyway, hopefully you guys won't mind some quick impressions of the PS4 version here.
There is so much overlap in the various markets today that it doesn't really make sense to keep them separate to begin with. If I were the boss, I'd be seriously considering merging the PC and Console forums at this point. The industry has changed a lot since our format was set up in the 90s.
YES! I totally second this. I'm playing an awesome PS4 game but don't bother to post it in the Console games because no one goes there anymore. Make it happen Blackhawk :).
Black Lives Matter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I can't even get the SE to run. It will launch to a black screen and the music plays but that's it.

Oh well, I only wanted to install it on my new PC to play Enderal. I guess I can use the older non-SE version for that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried rolling back your vid driver?

Also found this for you......
2: Black screen on startup

This is one of the most annoying issue players are experiencing, however the fix for it is very easy. This is how players are experiencing the issue: they see a little launcher box, when they click PLAY they are just greeted with a BLACK SCREEN with the background music and nothing else.

To fix the issue (Nvidia Players), just go the Control Panel and switch/change the GPU it was using.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I must admit I was a little let down in that the graphical improvement seems to extend primarily towards the landscape and doesn't do anything to fix Bethesda's shitty character models and textures. So in that respect the game still looks and feels its age. On the other hand, I'm not regretting buying it for console because I do feel more at home playing it on the big screen. I sunk a ton of hours into Oblivion on console, so for me personally that's where this game feels more at home
I'm on PS4 as well, and agree with your thoughts, especially on the character models. They're just flat-out ugly, which hurts the overall presentation. The landscape looks incredible though.

I never got very far with it on PC, so I'm looking forward to jumping in again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

I'm jumping back into this one myself now. Going to try a Breton pure caster that support the empire.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Blackhawk wrote:Given that the new Creation Kit (editor) has not yet been released, I'd be very hesitant to recommend any mods at this point. At best, people are guessing what the differences are and are hacking existing mods to work with the new version. There is no Skyrim Script Extender at this point, which means that many mods that use it will not work. SkyUI, which many other mods require (even if they don't use the Script Extender), is also dependent on the Script Extender.

I'll give the same advice I gave for Fallout 4 right after release: Any mods at this point are going to be hacks, and are likely to have issues. Not all of those issues will be visible. Making your armor invisible or having your horses fly is a minor issue. Dropping runaway scripts into your save file can make your game crash every few minutes - but not until 50 hours in.

So wait.

Personally, I've got an install I've barely touched running silky-smooth with 254 mods (the limit), so I can't see myself restarting on the SE at this point. I would consider getting the SE on the PS4 for my kids to play, though.
Most of the mods being released are by experienced mod makers who were given early access to the CK. The Unoffical Patch guy is one of those. However, I would agree it's important to be careful. From what I've been reading, even if a mod from the old Skyrim appears to work, it might cause unknown problems later. The mod headers and some information have changed. So the recommendation is to only install mods created by the new CK.

The Script Extender is the big one for me. There's a few mods I've wanted to try (Legacy of the Dragonborn being the big one) that require it. And I really don't want to play without SkyUI. I'm patient though. I'll probably wait rather than play the 32 bit version.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote:Tried rolling back your vid driver?

Also found this for you......
2: Black screen on startup

This is one of the most annoying issue players are experiencing, however the fix for it is very easy. This is how players are experiencing the issue: they see a little launcher box, when they click PLAY they are just greeted with a BLACK SCREEN with the background music and nothing else.

To fix the issue (Nvidia Players), just go the Control Panel and switch/change the GPU it was using.
OK, I'm quoting Dae's response to me because it helped lead me to fixing my problem. The problem is that I'm an idiot...

I couldn't get to the Nvidia Control Panel, kept getting an error that my Display Device wasn't connected to an Nvidia display adapter. WTF?

So I downloaded a video driver uninstaller, ran in safe mode, yadda yadda...completely uninstalled the Nvidia software and reinstalled. Rebooted, same error, not connected to Nvidia adapter. Again, WTF?

Then I took a look at the back of my PC...oh yeah, I DID hook the monitor up to the motherboard display port when I was doing some Windows troubleshooting like...6 or 8 weeks ago. So I've been bypassing my Nvidia card for probably a couple months. D'oh!

SO...the Skyrim SE version is up and running but it does end up that Enderal is NOT compatible with the SE version so I have both versions installed. Enderal looks good so far and I am looking forward to jumping into it. And I can start a new game in the SE version if I decide I want to.

tl;dr: Don't troubleshoot your PC when you are also drinking.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Z-Corn wrote:tl;dr: Don't troubleshoot your PC when you are also drinking.
Don't tell me how to game! 8-)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Then I took a look at the back of my PC...oh yeah, I DID hook the monitor up to the motherboard display port when I was doing some Windows troubleshooting like...6 or 8 weeks ago. So I've been bypassing my Nvidia card for probably a couple months. D'oh!
Ouch. Must have done pretty good though not to have noticed.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote:
Ouch. Must have done pretty good though not to have noticed.
Yeah, I was trying to remember what all I have played in that time...a few hours of Tropico 5...must have been no FPS though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The NMM server is getting hammered. Ive not been able to download any mods with it in 2 days now. It states its too busy in fact. I could do it manually I suppose but Im lazy :).

I do have some mods lined up to get when it works again and thought Id post them here. Some of you might like these.

Ultrawide UI tweak
Enlarge Image

Total Character Makeover
Enlarge Image

Point the Way
Enlarge Image

Wet & Cold
Enlarge Image

And the one I think will add the biggest change....

Static Mesh Improvement Mod
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Wet & Cold is fine, except that it still suffers from the same flaw as it did with the original Skyrim, in that whenever it drops below freezing, everybody outside becomes covered in a thick layer of frost and all look like some kind of mummy. I'm waiting on the Static Mesh mod, as there was something on its page that made me hesitant to use it before the Creation Kit is released.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A new hair mod

Theres a video if you scroll down. Ive tried these before. In Morrowind they were fine. But last time in Skyrim I could not find one that looked real or right in game at all.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The new SE version has the same bug. You can end up losing your head for the rest of the game. Altho getting a Dragon Priest mask will show up on your character.
It's caused by mods and using the TIM cheat I believe.
As long as you don't look at yourself in the 3rd person you'll never know it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:A new hair mod

Theres a video if you scroll down. Ive tried these before. In Morrowind they were fine. But last time in Skyrim I could not find one that looked real or right in game at all.
I would include this one in that list. My fantasy worlds need to look like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings. Most of hair/face mods for Elder Scrolls make it look like either anime or a Milan fashion show.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally figured out how to turn into a werewolf at will. Now that's cool. Not so cool on the innocents I eat. Two swings and I took out a sabre tooth cat without taking damage.
I wonder how it works on dragons?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote:I finally figured out how to turn into a werewolf at will. Now that's cool. Not so cool on the innocents I eat. Two swings and I took out a sabre tooth cat without taking damage.
I wonder how it works on dragons?
For a second, I wasn't sure this was a game thread.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought you were in the shaving thread eh? :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With dbt, it's hard to tell.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wasn't sure if I should start a thread for Skyrim SE or just post it all here. Seeing as this is an old thread and well established and not really used I figured here is as good as any.

All my postings of Skyrim from here on out will be only about Skyrim SE.

I installed it when it came out and tried to mod it up as the mods came out for it...either new mods or edited ones that worked with it. I had a few in and it was working but I got tired of waiting on mods to come out and stepped away. I finally deleted it a few weeks back.

But Ive reinstalled and am ready to mod it up, Im using Nexus as usual. Thought Id post mods Im either using or plan to use in this thread so others can try them or look into them. There will be so many Im not posting a link to each one but they will all be on the skyrim se nexus site so easy to find there.

Please post if you found something wrong with a mod I list so Ill know about any problems and also if you found it to be a great or helpful mod. Post mods yourself if you would. That would help us all with modding the game up. Im still looking for a good UI mod. Dont think one is out yet.

A lot of my picks at first will come from the top files list. Later as new mods are released and I come across other good ones there will be more and more not on that top list.

Here is a link to the main site for those who are looking for the SE version site.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?

Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
Total Character Makeover
A Quality World Map
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE
Immersive Armors
Immersive Sounds
True 3D Sound for Headphones
Lanterns of Skyrim SE
Wearable Lanterns
Weathered Road Signs
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul SE
Enhanced Blood Textures SE
Realistic Water Two
Realistic Water Two LOD Fix
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended - XPMSSE
Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS
Victorias High Heel walk Animation
Vivid Weathers Special Edition
True Storms Special Edition - Thunder Rain and Weather Redone
Surreal Lighting -- vibrant and cheerful weathers and lighting
VividWeathersSE TruesStormsSE Patch
LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons SE
TRUE EYES SE
Cutting Room Floor
Wet and Cold
Skyrim Textures Redone - Moons
SSE Texture Pack - Osmodius
Ars Metallica—Smithing Enhancement
Skyrim Textures Redone - Enhanced Night Sky
ETHEREAL COSMOS - Special Edition
Skyrim Is Windy
DRAUGR
KS Hairdos Lite SE
Distinct Interiors
NobleSkyrimMod HD-2K ... (a Skyrim mod I may get to work)
Pretty Combat Animations SSE
Run For Your Lives
Realistic Ragdolls and Force
Ultimate Noble Beds
Skyrim Better Roads (SkyBeRoads)
HD LODs Textures SE
Nordic Snow (aka HQ Snow Texture)
No snow under the roof
Diverse Dragons Collection SE
SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
Immersive Armors
Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin
More Tavern Idles
Breezehome
ETHEREAL CLOUDS - Special Edition
Footprints
Open Cities Skyrim
Enhanced Lights and FX
Enhanced textures detail (UV-tweaks)
Realistic Death Physics - No Animations
Unlimited Bookshelves
Skyrim 2017 Textures
Sofia - The Funny Fully Voiced Follower
M'rissi's Tails of Troubles SE
Recorder - Standalone Fully Voiced Follower
Vilja In Skyrim SE Makeover
Xanthys - A Custom Voiced Skeletal Pyromancer Special Edition
INIGO
Amazing Follower Tweaks SSE (Dheuster's Original)
Rupert the Teddy Bear SSE
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Dwemer Dogs Companions SE
Swearing Mudcrabs (Special Edition Edition)
Settlements Expanded
Take clam shell
Birds and Flocks SSE Edition
Redesigned Females
Unread Books Glow SSE
LOOT - Load Order Optimisation Tool
Point The Way
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul
skyBirds SSE Edition
CC's Enhanced Ore Veins SSE Edition
OrganicENB SE - No plans to use a ENB but if I do it might be this one.
SkyrimSE Re-Engaged ENB - Can use only 1 ENB so gotta choose yet.
Blowing in the Wind
IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device for Skyrim
Northgirl Armor UNP - SSE
True Touch of Color
SkySight Skins - Ultra HD 4K 2K Male Textures and Real Feet Meshes
Relighting Skyrim - SSE
Beards
Smoking Torches and Candles
Bijin Warmaidens SE
Bijin All in One-SSE ........ watch load order with Lydia and Aela
Lydia - Housecarl of Whiterun
The Super Booty Body Special Edition (Bodyslide Preset) (this mod is NUTS)
Moss Rocks
Landscape Fixes For Verdant Grass SE
Seasons of Skyrim ENB True HDR
Sin Xtreme Realism ENB
More Colorful Critters SE
Superb Serana Special Edition
The Lily - Armour Mashup
Blended Roads
Majestic Mountains
Archery Shop With All Arrows In The Game (Skyrim SE Addition)
Arrow smithing requirements revised _ no perks or archery perks
Scoped Bows SE
IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device for Skyrim
Sound Hammering Sounds
Perigo Merchant NPC
CLARALUX SSE - Controllable Lights Everywhere
Splendor - Dragon Variants SE
Paradise City for Vanilla Skyrim -- Great Trees for Cities SE -/- perhaps??
Dynamic Dungeon Loot (DDL) - Random Loot System
Fair Skin Complexion - normal Skyrim(will it work on SW??)
TruBy9 UltraWide - SkyrimSE
SkyUI ...... if it works on SE
EEKs Whiterun Interiors SSE
Real Mountains Rebuilt 4k - eroded ......its under real mountains in files
Hunterborn SE
Better Hunters ...... maybe
Map Markers Complete with DLC and OCS
Pastel Map Markers
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition
Become a Bard
Improved Bards - Special Edition
Realistic Instruments - Flute Lute and Drum HQ ......... may work in SE
Better Males Remesh for Skyrim SE
Modest Elderly
Seductive Lips HD SE Edition
Kristen Follower and Aela Replacer
Vivace Follower ........ A slyrim only follower I may try to get to work.
Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach
Light refracting Glass armor and weapons - UNP CBBE 7Base
Refracting Stalhrim Armors and Weapons - UNP CBBE 7Base
Wet and Cold ....................... maybe
WICO - Windsong Immersive Character Overhaul
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul - RDO SE
Wrye Bash
Visual Animated Enchants - VAE
Apophysis Dragon Priest Masks SE
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am, edited 69 times in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Do all those mods improve the graphics?

I'm playing the SE version myself. I had a game end glitch where I couldn't kill Arcano at the Magic Collage. I know the correct way to do it but it just didn't work. I was level 54.
Now I've started a new game.
BTW I took on a dragon as a werewolf and killed it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote: Here is a link to the main site for those who are looking for the SE version site.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/?

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch
Total Character Makeover
A Quality World Map
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE
Immersive Armors
Immersive Sounds
True 3D Sound for Headphones
Lanterns of Skyrim SE
Wearable Lanterns
Enhanced Blood Textures SE
Realistic Water Two
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Special Extended - XPMSSE
Vivid Weathers Special Edition
True Storms Special Edition - Thunder Rain and Weather Redone
VividWeathersSE TruesStormsSE Patch
LeanWolf's Better-Shaped Weapons SE
TRUE EYES SE
Cutting Room Floor
Wet and Cold
Skyrim Textures Redone - Moons
Ars Metallica—Smithing Enhancement
Probably going to start the SE soon. Played mostly unmodded regular Skyrim once.

Is this a good list of must have mods?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used a few of them in the original Skyrim and enjoyed them. Some are new to me so dont know. Should be. I usually dont pick crazy strange mods. Usually.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

But you do often choose mods that change the way the games function. So it depends on whether Jag is looking for a "pure" experience, or a modified one.

I will grant that in this case most appear to be graphic or weather over-hauls. Considering how much trouble you've had in the past, I'm surprised you didn't stay away from anything that fiddles with eyes or hair. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just dislike the regular stuff so much. Its awful.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Be careful of the mods. I find the SE version buggier than the regular version.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With my list keep in mind Ive not installed any mods yet. My list is mods I want to use or want to look into more and may use. They look interesting to me. Most likely I will end up using the ones I list and many more.

Also Im not really into quest mods or armor and weapons usually. I listed I think one armor one and one weapon one so far. The only npcs I plan to add are the companions Ill use and I usually take no more than 2 with me. Not listed them yet but I usually take Sofia as she is a drunken nut :) Ill list them when I get around to choosing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at my mod list Ive just realized how nuts its going to be to work out a load order even with that one load order mod. I mean what will overwrite what and which will I end up with lol.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

With 600 hours in the original Skyrim and over 100 hours in the SE version I still haven't come close to finding and finishing all the quests.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Looking at my mod list Ive just realized how nuts its going to be to work out a load order even with that one load order mod. I mean what will overwrite what and which will I end up with lol.
You need to use LOOT.