Kerbal Space Program

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by jztemple2 »

The Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be released on March 13th.
With over a year in the making, we are getting closer to bringing Kerbal Space Program towards its next leap forward. Today, we are proud and super excited to announce that Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be available for PC on March 13th, 2018.

Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion brings a lot of new and exciting content to KSP, including the powerful and intuitive Mission Builder, where you will have the tools to create and share your own scenarios with other players. We are also including the History Pack, a set of missions ready to be played immediately, inspired by historical moments in space exploration, and more.

The new Mission Builder puts the process of creating and editing missions in your hands with endless possibilities. You’ll be able to customize your own missions to include launches, landings, rescues, malfunctions, explosions, repairs, and much more. You can set unique victory conditions, add exciting challenges, and place unexpected obstacles to keep other players on their toes as they play through these complex missions. Challenge others to complete your missions by sharing them with the Kerbal Space Program community!

The History Pack includes a variety of pre-made missions inspired by humankind’s own space exploration. Now you can spacewalk, pull off a crash landing, and attempt to recreate some of the most memorable moments inspired by historic events. But with our unique Kerbal twist, of course.

The expansion also includes a bunch of new parts and astronaut suits inspired by the Space Race that you can use throughout Kerbal Space Program!

Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be available for $14.99 (USD) on PC. And yes, we’re keeping our promise that all players who purchased the game through April 2013 will receive the expansion for free. We’ll provide more details on how that will work before launch.

Stay tuned for more news and exciting updates about Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish they'd add that Tesla as a special payload to launch that came with new problems to overcome. Does Kerbal yet support recoverable engines?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:12 pm I wish they'd add that Tesla as a special payload to launch that came with new problems to overcome. Does Kerbal yet support recoverable engines?
I'm sure someone already has the Tesla as a mod. You don't get engines back, but if you recover your hardware you get the build points back, which is even better!

I don't have the link, but I saw that someone had already created a Falcon Heavy in KSP, including the recoverable first stages.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm The Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be released on March 13th.
Yippee.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:50 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:05 pm The Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion will be released on March 13th.
Yippee.
Hmm. Not too excited here. New parts are always nice, but I don't see myself using any of the other new features.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'm looking forward to new missions from other players. New challenges. I'm not good at self-motivating in a sandbox environment. I can pretty easily go from nothing to unlocking everything in career mode. The current generated missions are incredibly repetitive so there's not much point in doing them once you have enough money to build for interplanetary travel. I am looking for interesting new things to do and problems to solve and hoping the expansion and user base deliver.

So I guess I am excited about the Mission Builder in other players' hands.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Apparently I'm getting this for free, since I bought KSP ages ago.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:25 pm I'm looking forward to new missions from other players. New challenges. I'm not good at self-motivating in a sandbox environment. I can pretty easily go from nothing to unlocking everything in career mode. The current generated missions are incredibly repetitive so there's not much point in doing them once you have enough money to build for interplanetary travel. I am looking for interesting new things to do and problems to solve and hoping the expansion and user base deliver.

So I guess I am excited about the Mission Builder in other players' hands.
Yeah, makes sense... it's the sandbox aspects I enjoy the most, so the stuff they are adding doesn't do much for me. Do the user created missions show up as missions in the campaign though? If they did, that would be nice as yeah, the missions as is do get repetitive.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:28 pm Apparently I'm getting this for free, since I bought KSP ages ago.
Me too, by just a month. I've switched my download from Squad to Steam, but I'm sure they'll have some solution.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

It has been many, many months since I've seriously played KSP, and certainly not since I moved the game to Steam. I broke down and admitted to myself that I've probably fallen into bad habits and forgotten a lot and not really learned some of the new features added. So I've fired up the training missions for the first time since I played the game back in alpha and hey, I'm learned a lot of new little tips here and there and getting a good grounding for when the new DLC is released next month.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rip

Post by Rip »

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-dedica ... ntrollers/

:shock:

My effort would be more like this.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There are times I definitely could use the paired translation and rotation hand controllers, both for this game and Lunar Flight.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-II is now available!
Hello everyone!

Continuing the endeavor of bringing KSP to as many people as possible, we are proud and excited to announce the release of Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-2!

The game has been fully localized in 4 additional languages: French, German, Italian and Portuguese-Brazilian. Texts, keyboard layouts, UI and textures were carefully localized to keep the essence of KSP in every language, so that even more players are able to enjoy the Kerbal experience in their native tongue.

But that is not all! Kerbal Space Program 1.4: Away with Words MK-2 includes a broad range of improvements and new content for everyone to enjoy! We have upgraded the game engine to Unity 2017.1.3p1 and with that comes various performance enhancements, and an upgrade to the Engine Particle System. Improvements to the UI and quality of life upgrades have also been packed into this update.

Here are some additional highlights:

Kerbal Personal Parachutes
Kerbals with level 3 and above experience now have fully steerable personal parachutes! A cool feature that will help to get your Kerbals out of tight situations or perform aerial acrobatics, it’s all up to you!

Variant Switcher
A number of parts have model and texture variations that you can switch during vessel construction. These variants can also be grouped in themes to apply across a whole vessel at once!

Prioritized Vessel Naming
With this new naming method, you can now attach naming information to command modules and vessel names will be updated based on the parts in each vessel. Now you can prename your CSM or burnback booster!

VAB - SPH editor switching
Switch between the VAB and SPH at will with this new feature!

New Parts!
3 brand new parts and replacements for a dozen existing parts, including the Mk 1-3 Pod!
The full change log is available on the page also.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This KSP Weekly column, aside from providing some historic insight, also about two-thirds of the way down the page provides six links to videos that give a look at the upcoming Making History expansion. The Scott Manley video also gives a look at some of the new parts that are included. The others may too, I just haven't looked at them.

By the way, at the bottom of the Making History expansion page there is "The Kerbal Chronicles", which can be read on the page or downloaded as a PDF.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion is now available on Steam, $14.99 USD.

Since I got my KSP early enough to qualify for the DLC to be free, I exited Steam and restarted and yup, the expansion downloaded and installed :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Base game is on sale for 50% off, $19.99.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oops, spoke too soon. Apparently the download was to update the game to version 1.4.1 but doesn't contain the DLC. More to come :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This might be of help to people who can't figure out if they are entitled to a free copy of the expansion:
Originally posted by Lemmy Winks:
Where does it show in steam whether you are an early adopter? I purchased back in 2012 sometime, but transferred to Steam sometime after that.
Check Account Details and then view licenses and keys. if your an early adopter it will say so on the KSP key
Mine says "Kerbal Space Program - Early Adopters"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, here's a new, fun trailer for the expansion. Thanks to EngineNo9 over on the Gaming Trend forum for posting it:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well that's BS. I was playing KSP incredibly early on, but no expansion I can see in my account. :|
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:38 pm Well that's BS. I was playing KSP incredibly early on, but no expansion I can see in my account. :|
Apparently the free copies of the expansion has not been distributed. I'll occasionally check over at the Steam forum and see what's going on.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:42 pm
Sepiche wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:38 pm Well that's BS. I was playing KSP incredibly early on, but no expansion I can see in my account. :|
Apparently the free copies of the expansion has not been distributed. I'll occasionally check over at the Steam forum and see what's going on.
Ah, good to know, thanks. I'm not even sure I'll get to trying it out anytime soon, but... principle. :P
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

My date purchased is May 2013. Cutoff date for free expansion is April 2013.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Cortilian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm My date purchased is May 2013. Cutoff date for free expansion is April 2013.

Ha! May 2013 for me as well. Wonder if we both reacted to the same sale or forum post.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I've now got my free expansion DLC, it was available about 3pm EDT. More as I get into it.
Montag

Post by Montag »

And now I have to wait for my mods to catch up. :whistle:
words
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 pm
Cortilian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm My date purchased is May 2013. Cutoff date for free expansion is April 2013.

Ha! May 2013 for me as well. Wonder if we both reacted to the same sale or forum post.
Looking back on this thread it looks like I have MSDuncan, AWS260 and Montag to blame for this travesty. You should have been more interesting sooner! :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So as promised I've spent some time with the Making History Expansion and here are some thoughts. First, there are some new parts which if you are into building really detailed, historic rockets will be a big help. However, the big deals are the mission builder and the mission player.

The expansion comes with several pre-built missions, which range from not that easy to really hard. And this is especially true for those of us who are lousy pilots and use mods like Mechjeb, because several of the missions restrict the parts you can use. So I played around with the easiest one, Dawn of the Space Age (DOTSA).

DOTSA consists of three flights. First you build a rocket with a probe payload that needd to exceed 5k in altitude and land the probe safely. Then you need to build a rocket that reaches 48K and takes a temperature measurement and returns safely (at least the probe needs to return). And then you need to put a probe payload into equatorial orbit. I accomplished the first two after several trials, but screwed up on the third and so I was required to go start the whole thing over again. I gave up after that.

So I instead starting playing around with the mission builder and making some simple missions. What was nice about that is I can opt to use any or all parts and even my Mechjeb. Or I can pre-build a whole rocket for the mission. However, it is a lot of work to make a mission that's as nice as the stock ones and I don't know that I have that much interesting in doing it, especially with Surviving Mars releasing in less than two days. I'll keep playing around with the expansion, but I think it's a bit early for folks to jump onboard and expect a bunch of great missions.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I *finally* did it and bought this through GoG on sale for $19.99. Enjoying the tutorials so far. :P

I did not get the expansion as I'm not much of one to make my own missions or play other people's - and I've yet to even tell if the base game will click, but I expect it will.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The expansion is kind of disappointing, to be honest. I think a lot of people were expecting it to flesh out the regular career mode and give it historical context, but instead it's more like a bunch of standalone small side scenarios. On top of that, things seem buggy -- if I have an unsuccessful rocket I can't seem to get back to the assembly building to modify it. The assembly building (and the launch pad) show as 'LOCKED' and so I have no option but to just restart the entire scenario.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am The expansion is kind of disappointing, to be honest. I think a lot of people were expecting it to flesh out the regular career mode and give it historical context, but instead it's more like a bunch of standalone small side scenarios. On top of that, things seem buggy -- if I have an unsuccessful rocket I can't seem to get back to the assembly building to modify it. The assembly building (and the launch pad) show as 'LOCKED' and so I have no option but to just restart the entire scenario.
Yup, totally agree about how the scenarios just don't seem to mesh well. And that bug you mentioned drove me crazy. Anyone interested in this might wait till some patches come out.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I have been eyeing KSP for a while and with the sale currently going on was ready to pull the trigger...until I started to read some of the comments regarding Take Two's purchase of the property and the EULA. Is this something to be truly concerned about or was it just a lot of negative hype/anti-love for Take Two?
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am The expansion is kind of disappointing, to be honest. I think a lot of people were expecting it to flesh out the regular career mode and give it historical context, but instead it's more like a bunch of standalone small side scenarios. On top of that, things seem buggy -- if I have an unsuccessful rocket I can't seem to get back to the assembly building to modify it. The assembly building (and the launch pad) show as 'LOCKED' and so I have no option but to just restart the entire scenario.
Agreed and agreed. I wanted the missions integrated with career mode and wtf with having to restart an entire mission chain if I forget something silly? If that is intentional, I'm done.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Tao wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm I have been eyeing KSP for a while and with the sale currently going on was ready to pull the trigger...until I started to read some of the comments regarding Take Two's purchase of the property and the EULA. Is this something to be truly concerned about or was it just a lot of negative hype/anti-love for Take Two?
The latter. Nothing has changed. I think Take Two's acquisition of KSP was a fantastic development. While no "Real" gaming company would have ever dared to release a game like this using real orbital mechanics, Squad are sheer amatuers when it comes to game design. Hell, look at their first expansion (Take Two didn't buy the company until well into the development of the new DLC). Instead of more planets, more interesting things to explore on the surface of planets, an easy system for building bases on planet surfaces, an autopilot program, etc. we get a mission builder and more parts (which are nice but... :| ).

I think KSP's future got a lot brighter when they were acquired by Take Two.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Don't fret. The real magic will come from the community. KSP is a great game. The user created mods have made it a STELLAR game. The user created missions and perhaps full campaigns will make this expansion worth it. With the sale, a new user would get the base game and expansion and the full price anyway.
words
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Okay, so we're able to finally achieve orbit <waits for applause to die down>. Our first orbit, however, was around the sun. We may have undercalculated our ability to break free of Kerbal - the last kick from a medium booster at around 500km sent us rocketing away. Those brave Kerbals should have packed more than sandwiches for lunch.

Onto our second attempt, and we're having some difficulty with re-entry. We piddled away too much fuel to get to orbit and couldn't brake in the atmosphere enough to avoid a fiery death. That was some spectacular explosion, though. Right?

So for the third attempt, we're going to keep a medium-sized solid-fuel booster in reserve to fire in retro once we're into the atmosphere and see if that does the trick. It should. The math guys think it will. It's the same gimmick we've been using for those "Straight Up, Angle Down" suborbital tours Kerbs seem to love.

As a side note, we'd like to thank the engineering team for putting their heads together and providing us with 'Struts' - it should stop the wiggle and splay problems we've had with our larger designs. I think we can all agree that rockets that fly like a swimming squid look really cool, but they're really difficult to control... not to mention being prone to simply snapping into explosive pieces. Good work guys!

... I played the tutorials long enough to get to re-entry, but not orbit. I had to guess my way through that, and it wasn't pretty. I suppose it's time to go back to them and keep checking out how I'm supposed to achieve these goals in career. I've been enjoying the challenge of puzzling it out for myself, but these learning experiences are taking longer and longer to learn from - and time is kind of limited in the evenings.

Enjoying the game immensely... should have bought it sooner.
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:44 am... I played the tutorials long enough to get to re-entry, but not orbit. I had to guess my way through that, and it wasn't pretty. I suppose it's time to go back to them and keep checking out how I'm supposed to achieve these goals in career. I've been enjoying the challenge of puzzling it out for myself, but these learning experiences are taking longer and longer to learn from - and time is kind of limited in the evenings.
Have you watched the Scott Manley tutorial videos? They're informative and entertaining, and your sexual preference will change to "Scott Manley's voice".
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'll have to start some tutorials. He is fun to listen to. His first note is to start on 'Normal' - which I didn't do. I started on 'Moderate' ... He also does a lot of EVA to collect and store data, which I haven't done at all. Didn't even know it was an option. I've apparently missed a lot of Science opportunities I didn't even know existed.

Last night, after achieving my first Orbit and a lucky landing with 87 Science as my reward, I cracked open the box on aircraft and spent a couple hours building planes that refused to move in a straight line down the runway, and the few times where I achieved lift, I immediately did cartwheels and explosions.

I think the biggest problems I have in the game is knowing what all the mechanics actually mean, and knowing which parts do what. I mean - my large rockets were comically, pathetically useless until I Googled and found out I was simply missing Struts to hold the damn things together.

*Edit: Damn, his orbit in part 5 is sexy. An almost perfect tight circle around the planet. My first orbit was 75,000m on one side, and 1.5million km on the other side. He also used just a couple liquid boosters in two stages. I had a massive 140t behemoth with 7 stages.

**Double Edit: Last night I tried to put Scott's aerodynamic design to work and couldn't. I'm missing the large jet engine and air intake he's got. I was able, though, to create a jet with a pair of tiny engines. I was able to fairly reliably get it to take off under its own power, and used a chute at the front and back to "land" it gently after my first disastrous attempt at manual landing. I actually fell asleep at the wheel trying to get over 5km high - the plane just would. not. climb. past that point. I did pull together a huge pile of science by trying experiments everywhere at every stage, even on the landing pad. As a result, I've concluded all the 45 Science reward items.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Wow, it's been a while, hasn't it? Still, the devs (and the new devs) are still putting out great updates. Check out the latest update via their blog, Kerbal Space Program 1.7: “Room to Maneuver” is now available!

The intro:
Hello everyone!

A new technology has arrived to the KSC and with it, Kerbals will only get more Room to Maneuver! We’re excited to release, Kerbal Space Program 1.7: Room to Maneuver, our newest content-filled update that will give players new features and wide variety of improvements to help Kerbals explore farther than ever before!

This update includes two new useful navigation upgrades, the revamp of all of the small maneuvering motors, including new variants for the Twitch, Ant and Spider, as well as a brand new galaxy texture map to have our astronauts mesmerized by the beauty of the celestial vault. A great deal of bug fixes have also been packed into this update, not two mention a new 3.75 meter nose cone and a 5m one for those extra-large fuel tanks in the Making History Expansion!
And here is the video explaining how to use the Advanced Maneuver Mode. It might be time to retire MechJeb! Wait, no, I'm not ready for him to show up on Dancing With The Stars... :?