Kerbal Space Program

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Also, thanks for the rocket. It was perfect. I put some chutes on because I am not prepared to do a powered landing on Kerbin. I don't think I have ever even tried it. I can do it on lower gravity objects, but Kerbin is tough.
Please holler if you have any other requests! It was fun tuning that rocket to lower the cost; I think I'd enjoy building a rocket from scratch to fit someone else's needs.
They created a contract system just for you. All of those parts tests are building rockets for someone else's needs.

I'd say a perfectly efficient splashdown vehicle would be nice to have but the weight of the components that need testing can vary wildly. I tried to do a rover to get to splashdown, but realized I didn't have any rover wheels yet. One of these days that Minmus ship will get home and I can unlock them.

In the meantime I have to rescue the Kerbal I abandoned on a rescue mission where I went up with a full capsule. Somehow he ended up in a pretty wild elliptical orbit. If he could fulfill the transmit science from Kerbin orbit missions I would leave him, but sadly he can't. I need to put a transmitter and solar panel on his helmet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Fretmute wrote:Saw this on Kotaku this morning:

Omg, the youtube video of Jaeger Jebsy Danger is too much. I can't handle it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scott Manley did two video in which, in career mode, he gathers enough science to unlock every single thing with two launches. With nothing at all unlocked (and no mods), he goes to Minmus and comes home with 2500 science and 500k moneys. He uses the 2500k to get the orange tanks and all the science equipment then goes to the moon and comes back with 9k more science. After two missions he has everything unlocked and more than a thousand science to spare.

I don't know why the rest of us bother playing this game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I don't know why the rest of us bother talking out loud. All of our voices are inferior to Scott Manley's.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

James Earl Jones disagrees... although you may not count him among "the rest of us."
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

I had a good run last night.

8 contracts in one launch:

Stabilizers on the pad
Radial engines at altitude and speed
Stack separator at altitude and speed - limited radial engines to 50% in VAB
LT-45 engine at altitude and speed - had to coast to gain some altitude and reduce speed
Radial parachutes at altitude and speed
Sepatrons in orbit
Radial separators in orbit - had smallest tanks with zero fuel set in VAB
Transmit or recover data from space

I wasn't thinking and I could of had another with the small Rockomax engines in orbit as well.

I have not left Kerbal orbit yet so I havn't done much for science. I am going to unlock one more item with science from contracts and then head for the Mun for a large payout. I know Minmus is the easier science bonanza, but I do not have contract for it yet.

One idea to consider on the contracts if the speed with altitude does not make sense, consider fulfilling it on the fall instead of the rise.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:For those perhaps still on the fence, Kerbal Space Program is on sale for the next two days on Steam, 40% off.
Hope they run another one soon. I am ready to pick this up.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Rip wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:For those perhaps still on the fence, Kerbal Space Program is on sale for the next two days on Steam, 40% off.
I am weak and could not wait. Now to try and get over the learning curve tonight.

I played with the demo a few minutes and got something built with the limited tools. Launched fine, separated the solid fuel rockets but couldn't get the liquid furled one to light. I could adjust the throttle but no fire. So I tried hitting space bar again and the damn chute deployed. :grund:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote: So I tried hitting space bar again and the damn chute deployed. :grund:
escape > revert to launch -> adjust staging -> launch again
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Montag

Post by Montag »

Rip wrote:
Rip wrote:
I am weak and could not wait. Now to try and get over the learning curve tonight.

I played with the demo a few minutes and got something built with the limited tools. Launched fine, separated the solid fuel rockets but couldn't get the liquid furled one to light. I could adjust the throttle but no fire. So I tried hitting space bar again and the damn chute deployed. :grund:
If you are running the 64 bit version there is a bug on responsiveness.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Montag wrote:
Rip wrote:
Rip wrote:

If you are running the 64 bit version there is a bug on responsiveness.
Would stem know I am on a 64bit PC and install the proper version?

Made it through the tutorials up to and including the adjust your orbit one. Think I might go ahead and play with the career now. I will certainly be getting that mod to automate the flying at some point.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:Would stem know I am on a 64bit PC and install the proper version?
Nope, you have to specifically use the 64 bit exe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:
Rip wrote:Would stem know I am on a 64bit PC and install the proper version?
Nope, you have to specifically use the 64 bit exe.
:doh:

Just downloaded three mods I plan to start with.

Mechjab, EngineerRedux, and ScienceLibrary. Any others I should look at?
Montag

Post by Montag »

It's earlier in the thread, but you definitely want Docking Port Alignment Indicator. That mod is awesome for alignment and matching velocity.

Mods I use:
Blizzy's Toolbar
Editor Extensions - lets you have more angles of symmetry and I think it can force center snaps
RCS Build Aid - lets you see if you have proper symmetry for RCS thrusters
Engineer Redux - which you have
Precise Node - must have for setting maneuver nodes. It allows you to type values.
Kerbal Alarm Clock - must have, will let you end time warp or pause at key events such as maneuver nodes, apsis, change of sphere of influence etc
MechJeb2 - have not used it in career mode yet. Don't use this until after you master rendezvous and docking - it will spoil it for you.
ScanSat - adds parts and allows you to map moons and planets based on orbital coverage. Have not used yet.
Protractor - tool for working out launch windows to other planets
words
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I just wish it weren't so prone to crashing. I'd play this a lot more if it didn't so much, as currently it takes the wind out of my sails, so to speak. Crashes usually happen when on a loading screen.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote:I just wish it weren't so prone to crashing. I'd play this a lot more if it didn't so much, as currently it takes the wind out of my sails, so to speak. Crashes usually happen when on a loading screen.
Wow, I don't think I've ever had a crash in KSP. Are you iffy on RAM or something?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

Not sure if someone posted it already but damn this is a good first mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNXTFj3ozNY

Slowly figuring things out. Managed to orbit kerbin and learn to adjust my orbit.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Scott Manley tutorials on youtube are the best for just about anything Kerbal you want to learn how to do. He really knows his stuff, he's great at explaining it, he's funny, and he has a dreamy voice you can't help but get a man-crush on. :wub:
Montag

Post by Montag »

Pebblegarden has some good tutorials on rendezvous. The approach speeds versus distance are a good guide. I have found that I go a little more aggressive.

Pebblegarden's Closure speeds:
30 km 300m/s
15 150
5 50
1 5
<2 for contact

Do a search for pebblegarden and look at the posted videos.

Scott Manley is the god of KSP. I suspect he can do it better than the developers.

Also do searches for movies. There are some neat ones out there. Nassault's are pretty good.
words
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

jztemple2 wrote:
Rumpy wrote:I just wish it weren't so prone to crashing. I'd play this a lot more if it didn't so much, as currently it takes the wind out of my sails, so to speak. Crashes usually happen when on a loading screen.
Wow, I don't think I've ever had a crash in KSP. Are you iffy on RAM or something?

Nah, I have plenty and well within the recommended specs. I guess it must be something about my setup, which is a few years old. Takes long enough for it to load up in the first place, and then to have it crash is frustrating. It runs great when doing missions, but it's iffy whenever it loads between screens. Whenever that happens, the game just stops responding and I have to tab to the desktop to find a window saying it crashed. Last time it happened, I had landed back with my capsule and went to retrieve it and it crashed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

wonderpug wrote:Scott Manley tutorials on youtube are the best for just about anything Kerbal you want to learn how to do. He really knows his stuff, he's great at explaining it, he's funny, and he has a dreamy voice you can't help but get a man-crush on. :wub:
The Beta got too far beyond me quickly (though I've not played again since the introduction of money) but I watched probably 60 episodes of Scott Manley's Interstellar Quest. That's like an entire work week. His really knowing his stuff and his almost artistic like approach to engineering in the game just kept me watching. It's a shame I don't remember any of the history or physics or anything else he taught much less game concepts. I should have been taking notes or something.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Managed to visit both Minmus and Mun. Didn't land on either one but got into low space orbits and collected a bunch of science. Still in orbit around Minmus with decent fuel left so may land tonight. Realized I could run numerous flights at the same time so have been squeezing in some contract equipment testing flights during transits.

Starting to think about how I can use a space station to enhance my capabilities.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Rip wrote:Managed to visit both Minmus and Mun. Didn't land on either one but got into low space orbits and collected a bunch of science. Still in orbit around Minmus with decent fuel left so may land tonight. Realized I could run numerous flights at the same time so have been squeezing in some contract equipment testing flights during transits.

Starting to think about how I can use a space station to enhance my capabilities.
You have found the ⌂V maps? Do a search for kerbal delta V map and a ton will show up. These are ideal values, but can still give guidance. Do note the aerobraking options and you normally don't need all the ⌂V on the return since you just wan't to hit Kerbin's atmosphere. These will tell you if you have enough for a Minmus landing. Just leave some margin since you will burn more fuel to negotiate your landing. Do land on Minmus first, much more forgiving.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Montag wrote:
Rip wrote:Managed to visit both Minmus and Mun. Didn't land on either one but got into low space orbits and collected a bunch of science. Still in orbit around Minmus with decent fuel left so may land tonight. Realized I could run numerous flights at the same time so have been squeezing in some contract equipment testing flights during transits.

You have found the ⌂V maps? Do a search for kerbal delta V map and a ton will show up. These are ideal values, but can still give guidance. Do note the aerobraking options and you normally don't need all the ⌂V on the return since you just wan't to hit Kerbin's atmosphere. These will tell you if you have enough for a Minmus landing. Just leave some margin since you will burn more fuel to negotiate your landing. Do land on Minmus first, much more forgiving.

I definitely have enough fuel. Just starting to get confident enough in the delta v maps to tweak my mental safety factor down. Turns out I could have landed on Mun m first trip but was paranoid about fuel needed to return to Kerbin and deorbit.

My biggest issue with landing is whther I have it down enough not to crash. I try to avoid quicksave loads and revert of launches. I am sure it is like everything else and once I have done a couple it will be cake.

Still haven't bothered with mechjeb yet, want to know how to do it without before I start depending on it.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I usually wait until I'm about 20,000 meters above the surface, then I begin decelerating. I pivot my lander to the retrograde position and then I fire my lander's engine until I have basically no forward momentum. Then, I pivot my lander into the landing position and fire the rockets intermittently as I descend. Don't start slowing way down too soon or you'll waste a lot of fuel. Then, as I get close enough to see my shadow on the surface I fire my rocket until I'm about 8 m/s or less for the final descent. The biggest problem I had was stopping my horizontal speed before touching down. You may have to pivot your craft and fire your rocket briefly once or twice as you get close to the surface to stop your horizontal speed.

Personally, I would save before attempting your first landing. That way you can try it multiple times if necessary until you get it down without having to send another craft to the Mun/Minmus. I wouldn't bother with a "no save" approach until you have successfully landed on the Mun. If you can land on the Mun, you can land anywhere!

P.S. Make sure to extend your landing gear very early on as there is no downside to being prepared. In addition, it often helps to have lights facing downward on your lander to help gauge how close you are to the surface. Your "altimeter" is not accurate on other planets so you may land at an elevation of 400-600 meters. Just be prepared.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Pulled off 10 contracts in one go. Certainly led to some non-optimal compromises. Time for Duna and Ike to be conquered.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Montag wrote:Pulled off 10 contracts in one go. Certainly led to some non-optimal compromises. Time for Duna and Ike to be conquered.

I'm finding good use of the contracts can really boost your tech in the early game. I started over and have made sure to cherry pick out some of the 30+ science contracts. Really helps you be prepared for the initial exploration of the moons.
Rip

Post by Rip »

So I have started toying with space stations.

:grund: :grund: :grund:

Man even with mechjeb getting everything put together is a PIA. I thought it would be better about picking what thrusters to burn to get desired thrust vectors but no it is stupid. Docked a small ship up to one side of my space station which was at that point just an FL800 tank and some docking ports. Decided I wanted to move the station some and whamo it is thrusting in circles not it seems understanding why it spins when it burns both the LV45 engine attached to it and the LV909 engine on the docked ship.

Don't even get me started on RCS. Mechjeb kinda sucks at docking but I can't seem to get the control axis figured out and always end up thrusting in direction I don't want to go and having no idea what button to push in order to thrust the way I do. I struggle with EVAs if I fall off for the same reason.

Is there a hotkey to return the view to where W is forward S backward and so on? Is there a direction I should set my ships to before EVA and/or stations to for easier docking?
Montag

Post by Montag »

Make sure you are controlling from the right part. Choose the part and right click for control from here. Hit V until you get chase. When you start docking, you will change center of gravities and thrust. Make sure you disable engines you do not want to use. Also be wary of burning fuel and propellent from unintended tanks. You can disable cross feed on tanks with right click menu on parts.

You are probably better off doing manual docking with docking port alignment indicator than with mechjeb.
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Montag wrote:Make sure you are controlling from the right part. Choose the part and right click for control from here. Hit V until you get chase. When you start docking, you will change center of gravities and thrust. Make sure you disable engines you do not want to use. Also be wary of burning fuel and propellent from unintended tanks. You can disable cross feed on tanks with right click menu on parts.

You are probably better off doing manual docking with docking port alignment indicator than with mechjeb.
V key should help. I can never figure out what the top of the craft is. Front and back no problem but after that no dice. It seems as though moving around with RCS should be a piece of cake but it isn't. At least not for me.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Rip wrote:
Montag wrote:Make sure you are controlling from the right part. Choose the part and right click for control from here. Hit V until you get chase. When you start docking, you will change center of gravities and thrust. Make sure you disable engines you do not want to use. Also be wary of burning fuel and propellent from unintended tanks. You can disable cross feed on tanks with right click menu on parts.

V key should help. I can never figure out what the top of the craft is. Front and back no problem but after that no dice. It seems as though moving around with RCS should be a piece of cake but it isn't. At least not for me.
I do not use docking mode and use the HNIJLK maneuvering for RCS. This lets you use QEWSAD still for orienting. Watch the navball more than your ship.
words
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I can heartily recommend the Docking Port Alignment Indicator. Here are some instructions taken from a posting on that thread that so eloquently explain how to use the mod:
While adding some modules to my space station today, I had an epiphany and I'm going to tell you all about it. Here is how you can use what I said before to accomplish very fast, perfectly accurate docking, at any angle, without the need for overcorrection or slow approach. You don't even need to do the old Manley normal/anti-normal rotation trick.

As usual, you'll do all the typical preliminaries - Match velocities with your target, set the camera to Chase Mode (essential), choose "Control from here" on the docking vessel's port, and target the chosen port on the target vessel. Then:

1) Using WASD, align your nose so that the orange crosshair is dead center in the window. You are now moving in a direction parallel to the target port.
2) Using Q and E, rotate the vessel to the desired roll angle. This will set the green needles to the proper orientation.
3) Here's the important part: Use IJKL to move the window's yellow prograde marker (not the one on the navball) over to the intersection of the green lines. Use H to thrust forward towards the target at a speed comfortable to your level of skill and actual distance to the target (the one in the window is the actual distance to the target port, rather than the center of the vessel).
4) As you approach, the green needles will inevitably move closer to the center of the orange crosshairs. Use IJKL to adjust the yellow prograde marker so that it remains centered on the intersection. (You are not wasting mono fuel here - you're simply cancelling out the necessary translation velocity from step 3)
5) When everything is dead-center, all that remains is to slow down at the proper time to ensure a soft docking (0.1 m/s works nicely).

I apologize to those who knew how to do this already, or who may have intuitively but unconsciously understood it. But seriously, I can now use this plugin to complete dockings faster than any autopilot - and in less time than it took me to write this post.

I hope I've helped someone to unleash the real power of this wonderful little plugin.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:I can heartily recommend the Docking Port Alignment Indicator. Here are some instructions taken from a posting on that thread that so eloquently explain how to use the mod:
While adding some modules to my space station today, I had an epiphany and I'm going to tell you all about it. Here is how you can use what I said before to accomplish very fast, perfectly accurate docking, at any angle, without the need for overcorrection or slow approach. You don't even need to do the old Manley normal/anti-normal rotation trick.

As usual, you'll do all the typical preliminaries - Match velocities with your target, set the camera to Chase Mode (essential), choose "Control from here" on the docking vessel's port, and target the chosen port on the target vessel. Then:

1) Using WASD, align your nose so that the orange crosshair is dead center in the window. You are now moving in a direction parallel to the target port.
2) Using Q and E, rotate the vessel to the desired roll angle. This will set the green needles to the proper orientation.
3) Here's the important part: Use IJKL to move the window's yellow prograde marker (not the one on the navball) over to the intersection of the green lines. Use H to thrust forward towards the target at a speed comfortable to your level of skill and actual distance to the target (the one in the window is the actual distance to the target port, rather than the center of the vessel).
4) As you approach, the green needles will inevitably move closer to the center of the orange crosshairs. Use IJKL to adjust the yellow prograde marker so that it remains centered on the intersection. (You are not wasting mono fuel here - you're simply cancelling out the necessary translation velocity from step 3)
5) When everything is dead-center, all that remains is to slow down at the proper time to ensure a soft docking (0.1 m/s works nicely).

I apologize to those who knew how to do this already, or who may have intuitively but unconsciously understood it. But seriously, I can now use this plugin to complete dockings faster than any autopilot - and in less time than it took me to write this post.

I hope I've helped someone to unleash the real power of this wonderful little plugin.
Thanks, installed the mod and was trying to make heads or tails of it.

Found that if I get close to aligned the mechjeb docking works fairly well. I want to get the hang of it on my own though.

Getting better at space station design and got some much needed EVA practice jetting guys around from module to module. It isn't so bad when you aren't trying to get back on something you fell off of in a deteriorating orbit before you hit the atmosphere. :oops:

Next up is finding station design tricks to keep it from flex like a dogs tail wagging. :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:Next up is finding station design tricks to keep it from flex like a dogs tail wagging. :lol:
You don't maneuver a space station. Get the initial piece into the desired orbit and build it there. You go to the station, the station doesn't come to you! When you are building rockets, have you noticed what happens when you accidentally do anything asymmetrical? It becomes impossible to control. Generally, as soon as you dock something at a space station the combined ship becomes asymmetrical and impossible to control.

If you really want a maneuverable space station, learn about center of mass and center of thrust and put the pieces together on the ground as they would be in space and verify you have it all correct before assembling it in orbit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:
Rip wrote:Next up is finding station design tricks to keep it from flex like a dogs tail wagging. :lol:
You don't maneuver a space station. Get the initial piece into the desired orbit and build it there. You go to the station, the station doesn't come to you! When you are building rockets, have you noticed what happens when you accidentally do anything asymmetrical? It becomes impossible to control. Generally, as soon as you dock something at a space station the combined ship becomes asymmetrical and impossible to control.

If you really want a maneuverable space station, learn about center of mass and center of thrust and put the pieces together on the ground as they would be in space and verify you have it all correct before assembling it in orbit.
It flexes whether I maneuver or not. I've let it sit there for days and when I come back it is still flexing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That really ought to settle down eventually. When you start it rotating, it will rotate for approximately eternity, but the flexing ought to stop. I haven't done a space station on this latest release, but I didn't see any issues with it on the last version.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

coopasonic wrote:That really ought to settle down eventually. When you start it rotating, it will rotate for approximately eternity, but the flexing ought to stop. I haven't done a space station on this latest release, but I didn't see any issues with it on the last version.
It may be the smart ASS that I use to keep it always pointing away from the planet.

In other news, I started doing other missions instead of accelerating when I have a lengthy transfer. I have a Munar lander heading for intercept and launched the command module for the space station. Just so happens the intercept with the station will occur at almost the exact moment the lander encounters the Mun. Should be quite fun jumping back and forth trying not to screw either one up.
Montag

Post by Montag »

That's what Kerbal Alarm Clock is for!
words
Rip

Post by Rip »

Montag wrote:That's what Kerbal Alarm Clock is for!

Another one I have installed but haven't used much yet.

Something hilarious just happened a moment ago. I was toying with another career, early on just launch boosters with capsules on top to set the altitude records. They usually float back down near the pad or out far over the water. Anyway this one comes back towards the rocket hanger on the way up. The booster crashes back down right in front of the door that leads to the lanuchpad. My capsule with landing gear and chutes floats down on top of the hangar. Lands right on one of the two helo pads up there.

:lol:

I feel like I should have one something. Ol crazy but courageous Bill Kermin is going to be a legend.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Has anyone done anything useful with the Mechanic Jebediah Pod 2.0?

The eye thing is cute but unless I can attach a docking port to the bottom without blocking its built in thrusters it seems pretty useless.